Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

cheap ski weekends

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All any one recommend any good websites for ski weekends, as instead of going on a one week ski trip thought id have a change and go on two long weekends maybe.Ive been with mountain sun which we both enjoyed but the misses wants to be able to go out for dinner each night but im more bothered about maximum ski time.If it makes it easier we would like to go to les arc as we have never been (:
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
two long weekends will cost a lot more than one week..... they're not that cheap.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@deeppow, go with mountainsun to their 'cosy' chalet in Les Coches but send the wife out to dinner in the village?

2 long weekends are much better than 1 weeks holiday - but it will cost more
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for getting back.if we stayed in Les Coches would the lift que for the vaniose express be a nightmare in the morning?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
two long weekends will cost a lot more than one week..... they're not that cheap.

For those of us still running the 9-5 etc.. it's sometimes the best we can do. No not that cheap but a full week is not always possible. But I'm sure the OP is appreciative of your input wink

deeppow I've done lots of weekends. For DIY sort flights and then Pick a resort within a 2hr transfer and scour the likes of booking.com/owners direct/Interhome etc... for accommodation also query resort tourist information for accommodation. Weekend resorts I've managed: Chamonix, Morzine, La Clusaz, Courmayeur, Verbier, Mayrhofen, St. Anton, Tignes (yes it's >2hrs transfer but what the heck). Transfers are usually car hire but can also be private transfer.
I've had decent accommodation from Morzinelets and search for Sidney Riley (a Snowhead) for St. Anton. Most other accommodation was independently found.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've done some long weekends to Innsbruck but all self organised. Take 1st EZ flight from LGW to IBK. €15 taxi from airport to hotel (normally stay at Hilton) transfer to hotel 10 to 15mins. Very Happy Book hotel using travel republic. Typically long week end hotel (early season) for 4 nights B&B is £300 for two people, i.e. £150pp if sharing.

If a small group, hire minibus (arround €40) to Axamer Lizum and on snow by 12:00! There is a ski hire shop near hotel and my friends organise minibus from there. Take free coach back to hotel living car park around 16:30.

For rest of time, use free hotel coach services to various resorts, my favourite is Stubai Glacier (approx 50mins) or hop off at Schlick 2000 if weather is bad and you need to ski in tree line.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We do a couple of 3 day weekend s a year, and the cost is comparable per day to a sat-sat week. Usually the flights ski passes and car hire is cheaper if you go out of season. We usually fly to Geneva and ski in grand massif.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@deeppow, Try sorting accomodation now. Travel can always be arranged later. For Les Arc contact Le Cachette Hotel ( 04 79 07 70 50) and see what weekend vacancies they have. Or go to the Restort Web site http://www.lesarcs.com/hebergement-les-arcs.html note the phone numbers of all the hotels and call them. If necessary stay in Bourg st Maurice and commute on the funicular.

For a successful weekend trip you need a late flight out on Friday night and an even later one back on the the Sunday. I have found the Luton - Geneva and the Luton - Milan ones very useful. From Milan it is only a couple hours drive to Gressony and some fantastic skiing. I always hire a car for a weekend trip. If you can get to London, or Ashford in time the night train offers good potential.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

if we stayed in Les Coches would the lift que for the vaniose express be a nightmare in the morning?

No it shouldn't be. In general the only time the Vanoise gets really busy is right at the end of the day on peak weeks - and presumably you would be looking at off-peak weeks. The Les Coches area is really nice to ski itself and then you have (in my opionion) the best skiing in Les Arcs just the other side with all of the tree lined runs into Peisey.

The only downside to staying in Les Coches if you plan to only really ski les arcs is that you have to go for a Paradiski pass and not just a La Plagne one which does push the price up slightly.

Happy planning!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Steveee, the ski hire shop you are talking about in Innsbruck. Is this Die Boerse or another one?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@halfhand, the OP said he'd thought of long weekends as a change from a week - no indication that time off was a big constraint. Two long weekends needs 4 days off....

@deeppow, if weekend accommodation is a problem staying with a hired car in a cheaper valley hotel is a good option, then drive to a variety of resorts (and walk to a variety of restaurants). The new IBIS budget hotel in Sallanches is within easy reach of loads of resorts and a VERY easy drive from Geneva airport.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks guys/girls for some really useful info.i haven't got problems with time off of work so can probably do mid week and take advantage of cheap flights.Do car hire prices and transfer prices useally similar even with the tolls you have to pay?.is geneva airport still a mess as we neaely missed our flight last year ?what does op haaa rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@deeppow, The reason I use a hire car is that for me a weekend skiing puts a lot of pressure on time. Coach transfers mid week are not that frequent, so it may take you a whole day getting to and from the resort. Since I often arrive a Geneva at about 21:00 and want to get to Les Arcs as soon as possible then hiring a car is the only practical way to go. Similalrly returning. I want a full day's skiing before heading back to the airport.

I am not the one to comment on
Quote:
is geneva airport still a mess
since it never has been when I've been there. The only slight problem was the Geneva motor show caused quite a lot of traffic problems once. I now avoid that weekend.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We're running some packaged weekend trips this winter in one of our chalets, might suit you: www.whiteroomchalet.com/win_ski_weekends.htm
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

is geneva airport still a mess?

Hmmm, yes, there are still ongoing works and the effect of that seems to change weekly. I don't see why that would delay you too much though? Puzzled I can imagine Saturdays being a bit of a zoo...
snow report
Cedrick wrote:
@Steveee, the ski hire shop you are talking about in Innsbruck. Is this Die Boerse or another one?

You are correct, our friends found them very helpful and gave good advice on where to ski as well.
latest report
deeppow wrote:
.if we stayed in Les Coches would the lift que for the vaniose express be a nightmare in the morning?

More of a wetdream than a nightmare. Toofy Grin You're right next to it in Les Coches so you've got an hour(')s start on the great hordes steaming over from La Plagne
ski holidays
Quote:

@halfhand, the OP said he'd thought of long weekends as a change from a week - no indication that time off was a big constraint. Two long weekends needs 4 days off....

And? The OP wants to do long weekends this season in preference to a full week. I'm sure he can work out that he will require 4 days off work to do 2 long weekends compared to just 5 days for a single week rolling eyes . Clearly 4 days at a time is not a problem for him.
ski holidays
Go to Scotland (best in Feb to May).
ski holidays
How are the Scottish resorts?

As for the op, I have found Geneva a cheap airport to go to and at least chamonix is easily doable day 1 fly day 2,3 and 4 ski and return that night. So you are only gone for 3.5 days but get three days of skiing in. I did that for St anton too but innsbruck is always expensive for some reason.
snow conditions
Try www.igoski.com Wednesday (or Thursday) to Sunday. The ski weekend end of Alpine Elements or skiweekends.

Andy
snow conditions
Always fancied Scotland but dont you have to go last minute as it can get windy and wet ?.I bet its cheaper/quicker to fly to geneva comparied to getting to Scotland even though I live in the Midlands.
snow report
Thanks for all the input Very Happy
snow report
@deeppow, I used to live in Edinburgh and the decision for the weekend was typically taken at midnight on the Friday depending forecast.

If you can get a direct flight to e.g. Geneva and book early enough that'll almost certainly be cheapest.

But you really do need to plan in advance...
ski holidays
@deeppow, and anyone else for that matter, some guests of ours want the first few days of the week commencing 27th Feb, i.e. leaving on Tuesday, but it all depends on whether they can find someone to split the week with - so looking for anyone (a couple or group of 4) who would like Tuesday or Wednesday till Saturday. A long shot but thought you may be interested.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy