Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Future of Racing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'll come at this from a completely different sport: Motocross/Supercross.

If you don't know what it is, it's this >
http://youtube.com/v/Jj6IKYrAhvA - off road bikes, racing in stadiums in the US and outdoors in most of the rest of the world. It's a decent sized action sport (they fill 80,000 seater stadiums just about in the US, and a good event in Europe will get 50,000 people) - the top guys are probably on 2-5 mill a year.

About 15-20 years ago, they started with the "Freestyle Motocross Movement", where you had guys starting to do tricks. The sport progressed, some good racers moved across the freestyle and it really grew. They started backfipping, then the double backflip came in 2006 and everything seemed to be dandy. In the early 2010's (is that even a phrase?!), things started to get a bit stale. Everyone could backflip, everyone could backflip no hands etc, and the sport started to decline because the innovation that had pushed it so far had started to slide.

Skipping forward to now, it's slid even more and even fewer people are interested. They have had some innovation with guys landing new tricks, and more insane-ness - but in general no one really cares any more, it's only really the indoor shows and Red Bull X Fighers that survive (http://youtube.com/v/KSKrMJV5-To - it's on Dave). Supercross/Motocross has carried on growing at a steady rate, and is far, far, far more popular)

I foresee the same thing happening with Skiing. Yes, it's way cooler to look at free ski (heck, those are the dudes I really think are sick - for me, Cody Townsend is so much cooler than Hirscher!) but it can only go so far, and how much further it can go is questionable. It definitely has a place, but racing will always have that X factor.

Having said that, if I ran it... I'd instantly ban lycra, ha.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy