Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prophets

Poster: A snowHead
I skied my Prophets today and I am the happiest man in Verbier.

Here’s a little review for you:

Me: Confident skier, reasonably competent, modern technique, ie not a Frenchie, (no offence to French people, I just don’t double pole plant etc…). I also own Volkl V-Pros 190 & Volkl Explosive 190.

The Ski: Line Prophet 130 (152 – 130 – 148) 186cm 18m turn radius (you do the math Shocked ). Mounted +1cm from the boot centre mark.

The first time I clicked into these skis today I was worried for around 10 seconds, just standing in them is quite hard work. With such a massive girth (the ski Wink) it took me a while to find the feel of the ski, just stopping yourself from gliding down the gentlest of slopes initially took a little concentration. After pushing off I decided that I would forgo a little bump run down to a chairlift in favour of a blue run. I pushed these babies over and whoah do they rail.

Turn initiation was fairly easy (especially with the +1cm mounting point) and they were very happy to carve. When really pushed at speed these skis were a little too soft for my liking, no problem with flapping but you could feel the ski beginning to loose edge hold. Obviously this would be no good for a carving ski but I thought it performed brilliantly for a powder ski. I had similar problems with Salomon Pocket Rockets (1080 Guns) although they are slightly stiffer, especially in the tip, than the Prophets.

Of course edge-to-edge was slow but it was a great feeling as you work the ski over.

Next run was a long bump run with good condition, albeit thinning, snow (the itinerie Tortin). I knew the skis would be the hardest work in bumps but found them to be much easier than I was expecting. The run is steep enough that I found myself virtually jump turning each mogul, easy life. Later on today I found other moguls to be hard on my knees but far from impossible.

I went off in search of powder and once I found enough for a few turns I tucked in. OMG. You cannot sink the tips of these things. I can’t wait for some decent snow fall. They were perfect. Responsive and the best feeling of control. They really felt like I was skiing something half their size. I could push forward as hard as I like and the skis just kept bouncing up, even at low speeds.

I found two small drops, a 4’ & 6’, and the skis came into their own! Landing them was like walking on a rubber travelator (like at the airport). Having the bindings mounted slightly forward gave me a massive amount of tail, and again, it didn’t matter how hard I sat on the tails they were still stable enough to recover.

Sure they weren’t fun on ice and really hard packed snow but they’re no GS ski and certainly not much more difficult than my mid fat skis (you choose which pair Shocked).

I could easily turn the skis round in a braccage style and found they were more than willing to hold a good edge in very short swing turns. You wouldn’t get on with them if you ski with your legs together…

Overall they were great fun on piste, you have to enjoy skiing hard to get anything out of them. They were restrictive in the bumps but good for your cardio vascular fitness. And off piste from windblown to cut up crud and sugar snow to soft powder they were in a league of their own, like nothing I’ve ever skied before. There are still a couple of tests left but generally I was really impressed.

This is a quiver ski but once we have a decent snow here I can see myself skiing on these babies lots. Sure I ski mainly off piste but the general access / exit runs I’ll have to do will be fun.

I do know if I was skiing very tight colouirs I would take out my Explosives, but I tested them in a reasonable gully and could still turn them on a sixpence, the issue lies with having to ski with your feet two feet apart.

In reality I think the dimensions are a little too far, I would prefer something around 115mm underfoot in around 190cm and much, much stiffer. Until someone makes a ski like that I am the proudest, and happiest, man in Verbier.

The worst thing about these skis was dealing with all the comments and looks. Yes, I hope it snow even more than you do, weirdos, go lauch at the snowboarders. Come Powder day you'll be eating my roosters...

If you fancy a little go (in the right (or wrong) conditions Wink) and your boots fit, PM me…

Twisted Evil snowHead Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
+ 1 cm: what size is your foot?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex, the boot is 314mm. I know I might not even be able to tell the difference but I haven't skied it at any other point so I can only tell you what I felt Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
parlor, mine is 2 sizes smaller than yours, I'd probably want it +2cm or more.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've skied the tortin six or seven times on the Made'ns and found it very similar, surprisingly good. Difficulty for me is edge hold on piste, they are appalling. Still, I'm not on piste that much so never mind. Powder below Nendaz was so easy on a big ski.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you cant sink the tips 1cm forward why would anyone use the standard mounting? I'm not arguing just wondering if Line got it wrong with the mounting point.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, I measured the true ski centre and came back to what I consider my perfered moutning point, although this has only been tested on Gotamas. Just to make to clearer I described the mounting point as 'boot centre mark' +1cm rather than ski centre minus 6cm (or whatever it is).

jedster, Line have covered their bottoms really. The Prophets have two sets on inserts for their currently defunct bindings.he forward inserts are for freestyle and the rear set are for freeride. I suggest anyone that is mounting a ski like this would have an opinion on where to mount them.

Skied powder remains all day again today and loved it. These skis are the bomb for powder days, and seeing as I love hard work I'll be skiing them lots, even when we don't have a foot of fresh...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey, how come this didn't turn into a flame war like the thread where I reviewed MY fat skis???
NehNeh
I've tested the Legend Pros out in proper powder now and they were very nice indeed
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
parlor, perfectly clear, that is what I understood (BCM +1cm). Arno, the skis might float but the review's too skinny.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
parlor wrote:
Of course edge-to-edge was slow but it was a great feeling as you work the ski over.

I expect the guards change-over quicker at Buckingham palace wink

parlor wrote:
In reality I think the dimensions are a little too far, I would prefer something around 115mm underfoot in around 190cm and much, much stiffer. Until someone makes a ski like that I am the proudest, and happiest, man in Verbier.

Maybe these (not sure how stiff they are)
http://www.untracked.com/highlight-175770.html

Still I can't see them being any good if they didn't get a skiing mag gold star and couldn't you just get less fat by eating less pies and go for a skiny ski wink Razz
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB, 44.8m turn radius Shocked . Maybe those were the babies rockyrobin was looking for to stop him just riding the sidecut Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GrahamN wrote:
DB, 44.8m turn radius Shocked . Maybe those were the babies rockyrobin was looking for to stop him just riding the sidecut Laughing

You're not kidding, they aren't so much "tight in the bumps" as "tight in the mountains". I hope the riders wear a sign such as "Caution slow turning heavy vehicle ahead" wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB, too soft. Sanouks are a girls ski... Wink I enjoyed watching Mr Warren Smith giving a bumps class in them mind...

Arno, you are so right. Sorry dude. Flame me. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
on the subject of fat skis ....

(Thanks to Physicsman)
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=521

"Lets assume that there is some validity to the oft-heard claim that mid-80's skis are the best thing since sliced bread for average weight guys (say, 175 lbs) in soft snow. Then, one can estimate the width of a ski that would give the same amount of float to a skier of a different weight. Here's a table that does this:

(lbs)..(mm)

Thus, if you are a little slip of a 120 lb woman, you will have the exact same float on a 58 mm wide pair of skinny boards that Mr. Average Guy (at 175 lbs.) has on his 85 mm "lite-fat" skis. "
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB, you're saying that unless parlor forgos sliced bread, this will be what he really wants?
ski holidays
Comprex,

Don't be like that, he's probably just big boned. wink

parlor wrote:
DB, too soft. Sanouks are a girls ski... Wink

Here's a stiff ski for you then (and it's got a skimag gold medal badge thingy so it must be good)
http://www.skimag.com/skimag/buyers_guide/app/product/0,15058,ski1144,00.html
powder on these = sink or swim?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 11-01-06 10:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
DB, I'm approx 160 lbs and my old B2 is 76mm - so not a bad level of float there really for me. The softer ski seems to suit my weight too.
latest report
DB, now, in my book, that's a real powder ski for real powder skiers wink

Call me old fashioned? Why?
snow report
David Murdoch, any interest in a pair of Miller Softs? I've a pair in 210cm (88/72/80, black trim) waiting for the Sawzall otherwise . ..
snow report
Line - Make great skis.
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:
DB, I'm approx 160 lbs and my old B2 is 76mm - so not a bad level of float there really for me. The softer ski seems to suit my weight too.

I and others here have had problems with the Bandit XX (the predecessor to the B2) binding mounting position. The binding was mounted too far forward making it very difficult to stop the tips from diving or getting caught in the backseat. Probably best just to compare where the binding is mounted to other similar skis.

I'm a similar weight and use an allround ski @ 76mm waist and a 90 mm waisted ski for deeper powder.
snow report
After a fortnight in California I've become convinced that my 97mm waist skis are now on the skinny size with all the people skiing Gotamas, Sanouks and Sumos, Bro Models, AKs , Madens , Hippy Stinx etc. Not many takers for the Gun Lab though!

The older model XXXs I've just acquired as a tele set up look positively anorexic at 85mm in the waist
snow report
DB, I remember that.

fatbob, I expect parlor to look at Madens next.
ski holidays
comprex, Madens are too soft. I want something with a flex pattern like a Mantra with the dimensions of a twin tip Sanouk or similar.

I used to ski my RC4 Vacuums in powder, stiff, skinny & real long. Those days are gone. Travelators are the future.

I skied my V-Pros today, that's it, tomorrow they get telemark bindings on them. Once you've had fat you'll not go back... I was skiing with punters (and my first snowHead !) today so I thought I'd take out the skinny's but they just suck. Once you get used to swinging a fat ski in the bumps going back to a 85ish mid fat (skinny) is rubbish.

FWIW we have some horse racing jockeys staying this week, one of them is racing next week and has his scales so he can watch his weight, I tried the scales and came in at 12.1 stone, I haven't been this light in 8 years. Also pre-released with my bindings set at 11... hmmmmm perhaps Markers do suck after all.

I really think all you 'never trieds' out ther have got to get yourself some fat, just to have a go. They're not going to suit everyone but if you ENJOY having fun, have even more. Twisted Evil

Skiing with another snowHead tomorrow... Let you know how it goes!
ski holidays
parlor, did you just coin midskinny? Laughing Laughing
snow report
Glad to hear the Prophets are doing the business for you Parlor. I'm still on the lookout for some midskinny Seth's so I'll get there in the end. Also tempted by Karma's but they really are super model dimensions I suppose!
snow conditions
comprex, I like it.

Skied with my second snowHead today. What a great bunch of people most of you are Shocked

Also compressed the sidewall on my Prohpets, not too bad, you can see it but you can't feel it. If there was a Line Rep near by they'd be wearing the ski...
ski holidays
parlor wrote:
comprex, I like it.

Skied with my second snowHead today. What a great bunch of people most of you are Shocked

stick with the ones who ski, you can't go wrong Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor,
Quote:

Also compressed the sidewall on my Prohpets

How did you achieve this? Shocked
snow conditions
I confess, I was the first Very Happy to have the pleasure of a guided tour of verbier from parlor. The man can definitely ski!
snow conditions
aseeto,
Quote:

I confess, I was the first to have the pleasure of a guided tour of verbier from parlor. The man can definitely ski!

And you survived, to tell us about it Very Happy
ski holidays
snowbunny, Yep, we were lucky he had some paying clients with him and he had to keep it reasonable and make sure they all made it back to the chalet in one piece for dinner.
latest report
snowbunny, not enough snow... tried a little drop and found rock... weird thing is the base and edge itself are fine but the sidewall itself has compressed about 2mm.

aseeto, very kind! And quite a compliment too, both you and your wife are very able, can't wait for some more snow so I can show you what Verbier is all about.

The second snowHead I skied with this week was Flicksta. Now theirs a skier. Ripped his Madens (a modest 108mm underfoot) like a GS skier on speed.

Anyone else fancy a day out in Verbier just drop me a line. Very Happy (Not valid for powder days Twisted Evil)
latest report
parlor,
Quote:

snowbunny, not enough snow... tried a little drop and found rock... weird thing is the base and edge itself are fine but the sidewall itself has compressed about 2mm.

IMV much the same level of ski compression that you would have achieved dropping onto a track, and landing on a lump of ice, with concentrated downpressure. I really hope that you are returning them to the supplier. Shocked
snow conditions
snowbunny, parlor

It certainly didn't look like anything worth compressing sidewall over. Two days before I was skiing about a mile away and blew an edge, although in fairness the edge held and the sidewall blew out. 'Ils sont mort' cried the skitech. Patchy covering hides nast hidden rocks.

ps parlor, you are a bit more than 'competent'
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy