Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Valloire Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I've been lucky enough to have been offered use of an apartment in Valloire towards the end of Feb.

Its not a resort that I'm familiar with. Can anyone help in terms on general recommendations, must do runs or circuits, good bars and restaurants, good hire shops for ski's etc.

Thanks in advance.

Rich
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Visited Valloire in the summer and skied down to there from Valmeinier. The ski area is great. Can't remember any runs in particular though.

Bar L'Equipe at the end of the Cret de la Brive run was great for a hot chocolate. Food on the mountain was generally good and quite reasonable (for France!).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
End of Feb is French school holidays. It's not a super super busy resort but any chance you could borrow it in a low season week? wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Pam,

I have it from the 25th Feb - 4th March, so I think I miss most of the french school holidays, right?

Rich
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know Valloire very well. Been 3 times in 2 years and will be back there in Feb Half term.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@garethjomo, Coud you share and information?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@RichClark, no, that's all French school hols, but the final week (ending 5 March) is likely to be less busy than some. I've been there for a week, staying in Valmeinier, but some time ago. Don't remember the detail but it's a very pleasant resort with a "French" feel to it. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RichClark,
Its a great place, we have a place in Valmeinier, so visit a lot. Good selection of restaurants, although most of the bars are not busy unless there is something specific going on. Chez Fred is a good bistro, there a great Gallete place (cant remember the name but been umpteen times) and I recommend Les Meregers on the mountains for the pizzas. You will find the entire area very reasonably priced and noticeably less busy when compared to the 3 vallees resorts on the other side of the Maurienne. I would say the first week of march is the best time to Ski in Valloire, thats when the base will be at its deepest and you have a good chance of fresh snow with longer days. The skiing is basically set across 2 interlinked valleys on 3 mountains, there are a mix of tree runs and higher bowls, most of the skiing is cruising but there are some pretty challenging blacks if they are open. When the snow is good lots of easy and more challenging off-piste opportunities, but take a guide.....you can get seriously lost if you dont know the area well and there are some pretty big cliffs you can come across unexpectedly. Its a lovley town and ski area and im sure you will enjoy your holiday.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There aren't a lot of busy bars there and very few British in any of the bars (good thing!) The 'centre' pub is small but lively with lots going on. There is also a bar called mastrock which has good live music etc. The bowling place also has singers and Karaoke but seems to be full of French teenagers.
My Favourite runs are in the Crey du Quart area. This is where the snow is best but they are the open type runs not the tree lined runs (these are very few). If conditions aren't great some of the runs that connest valloire to valmenier can be in quite poor condition.
I always take my own equipment so can't help with ski hire but they are mostly ski set and intersport hire shops.
Who is going with you??
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great little resort. Lovely mountain restaurant at the bottom of Primevere (Cre du Quart area) that has excellent views, good food and sells Warsteiner! The back link to Valeminer, combe Orsiere is horrible if the weather is warm. Martin Sports 2000 in the centre of Valloire was excellent for hire. We stayed near Moulin Benjamin end of the town, chalet du Gallibier. Really easy access up to the Thimmel area. I'd definietly go back, great value.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@JimSearle, @garethjomo, @jubnut, Thanks all for the info. Very helpful.

I'll throw up a quick trip reprot when I get back.

Cheers

Rich
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Based on your comments @JimSearle, I wouldn't mind taking advantage of some of the off-piste opportunities. I'm generally a piste skier other than a bit sidecountry stuff between pistes.

Can anyone recommend a guide or even an instructor that can offer maybe 2 or 3 half days lessons?

Thanks
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
in Valloire/Valmeunier speak to Jerome Popp. He speaks good english. This is his summer sport but same contact details.

http://www.efmb.fr/EN/contact_EN.php
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@alti - dude, is Jerome an instructor or a guide or both?

Cheers
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
both i think - get hold of him . . . . he's a really friendly guy.

I will probably see him over w/e and can ask him if you haven't spoken to him. I do know he gets very busy with repeat clients which is a good sign
latest report
Thanks, I'll drop him an email today.
snow conditions
He does both but think you will need to book via esf in valmeinier. He does get booked up though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy