Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carre Niege or Carte Niege what is it?

Poster: A snowHead
Going to Tignes this weekend and although I have pretty comprehensive Insurance cover I would like to know what does the Carre Niege (if that's what its called) cover.

Is it worth it?

How do you get it?

I have read a lot of confusing posts about the hoops you have to go through to get one.
Do you request it when booking the ski pass or what?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Carre Neige is bought with your lift pass for the relevant no f days and gives you rescue from the slopes on or off piste and first transport to a medical facility. There is a little bit (3 Grand) of health insurance but that's it. Its big brother is Carte Neige which is for the season, available in Maison De Tignes. Its benefit is its recognised by the pisteurs so there are no questions if a helo is required etc etc. I will be buying mine on Thursday for skiing on Sat Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Carre Neige will cover what isn't covered under the EHIC arrangements, rescue and repatriation if necessary.

So that plus ordinary travel insurance plus EHIC should be all you need, as I read it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Our season pass this year already includes rescue and emergency medical transport
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I must admit I am even more confused now Puzzled

Hi @chocksaway,
I didnt know they were two different items thanks!
So the Carte Neige is for a whole season? So not really relevant for someone who may just do two weeks in France a year?

@under a new name,
I'm guessing the EHIC is that thing we used to have for school trips..... I've just applied for one a moment ago (Should have done it last week)

&
@Hells Bells,
Season Pass eh? .... Show off!

So to be on the safe side for me .. Buy a Carre Niege anyway?
Its only a few bob a day and its going to get you into the clinic at the bottom of the mountain, without use of the credit card.

Sorry for raising such a boring thread.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

So to be on the safe side for me .. Buy a Carre Niege anyway?

yes, makes sense, cost of a cup of coffee (but spell it right.... wink )

When you buy the ski pass, just say "avec assurance" (they usually ask). And keep the receipt.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DrLawn, EHIC is indeed that thing, basically gets you onto the local health insurance around Europe.

Even though we've just renewed our Cartes Neiges, after my minor mishap last year I am now e.g. buying the Monterosa insurance when we're over to avoid shelling out the €500 and having to claim back from Carte Neige. The local insurance would just have covered everything with a signature. As I hope Carte Neige would do in France.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you've got travel insurance with full winter sports coverage you don't NEED it but as has been said it's only a coffee a-day extra and I always tick the box. I work on the theory that waving my ski pass is an easier than trying to explain in schoolboy French that yes, I do have travel insurance but my policy documents are in my chalet...half way up a mountain looking at my own broken leg.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you have Carre Neige they won't keep your ski/snowboard hostage (thereby giving whoever is looking after you yet another chore).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The EHIC is what we used to call the E111 In days gone by. And what I found had expired in September but I have brought it with me and gave now renewed online.
We will be getting our Carte Neige, or the local equivalent, tomorrow when we buy our season passes. Luckily we have never had to use any insurance on the mountain and only travel insurance for a couple of thefts and me falling down the stairs in the chalet.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
does anyone know if e-gloo insurance offered by Megeve is similar to carre/carte neige, I have had C.N before when working in the 3valleys but e-gloo seems to be their preferred policy, so I assume this is what the pisteurs will be looking out for in the worst case scenario?.
this is obviously on top of our travel insurance and EHIC, though I will be going home tonight to look up our annual travel policy wording, nice entertaining reading I would guess!!!!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@terrygasson, I believe it's just the Mont Blanc area's version of Carre Neige.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, cheers just looking up the cost now, should have done it when purchased passes, but hopefully not much more if bought seperately
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It get's you off the hill without being charged by piste rescue for the privilege. You still have to cover yourself separately for any other costs after that.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Personaly I am always afraid of having two insurances for the same thing. I always think the two companies will spend years arguing which of the two companies is liable to pay out (and I bet they will not both pay out). I do know people who never bother with travel insurance relying on EHIC and Carre Neige. I have only had one accident skiing, in Les Arcs and the piste security blood wagoned me off the hill immediately. They did not ask for proof of insurance or anything like that. The doctor didn't mention insurance but he did want paying. He was quite happy for me to leave the surgery and return the next day with my credit card. The only hassle I had was with the insurance company refusing to reimburse me in euro but converting the euro bill to pounds at their made up exchange rate and hence pocketing £50 of my money. I have sinced changed insurance companies
latest report
Quote:

hopefully not much more if bought seperately

should be the same price, but your pass will not have the indication that insurance has been paid, so keep the receipt for the Carre Neige (or local equivalent) wrapped round the pass, possibly in a poly bag.

In case you're unconscious.... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
@johnE, never bothered about additional insurances myself either if I had to pay for it, it came with my season pass when I worked there, but this will be the first time my family have skied so last thing I want to do with the kids is fannying around looking for documents, hopefully no need to use any of it!!!!!!
snow report
@pam w, Quote:

hopefully not much more if bought seperately

should be the same price, but your pass will not have the indication that insurance has been paid, so keep the receipt for the Carre Neige (or local equivalent) wrapped round the pass, possibly in a poly bag.

In case you're unconscious....

good advice, will keep in the same little pocket thingy on the arm of jackets, shows how times have changed since I last went where every one looked like an extra from saving private ryan with lift passes and carte neige tied round your neck with a bootlace!!!!!!
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
Our season pass this year already includes rescue and emergency medical transport

Sadly it's on-piste only, I'll be getting Carte Neige in the next couple of weeks.
snow report
...so normal travel insurance plus EHIC plus Serre Chevalier ski pass with insurance should completely cover me then?
@Pamski, did the "falling down the stairs in the chalet" involve Thatchers cider?Hope you're well.Isn't you know who doing well!! Very Happy
ski holidays
@lambert, oh it's you! Postman Pam agrees he is doing very well. And no, falling down the stairs was at about 6.30 am, and carrying a load of laundry, missing a step...
latest report
When does it become financially beneficial to buy a Carte Neige as opposed to multiple Carre Neige? Is the Carte Neige valid in a particular resort or anywhere in France?
latest report
@Gaza, Carte Neige is nearly an annual thing and global coverage. No idea if Carre Neige prices vary. Also, not all resorts offer it.

e.g. Mont Blanc area have E-Gloo.
ski holidays
Quote:

not all resorts offer it.

I think anyone can buy it - when I last did it, had to join a local ski club, but it doesn't really matter where.

http://www2.ffs.fr/carteneige/online
snow report
Just bought my annual Carte Neige, €60 for the adult "medium" which gives search and recovery/first aid on the mountain and transfer to the doctor/hospital as necessary, I bought it from the Office du Tourisme in Villeneuve, Serre Chevalier and they automatically made me a member of the Serre Che Ski Club which is a necessity for the terms of the Carte Neige, it runs from 15th October till the 14th October the following year.
snow conditions
@pam w, My poor English. I meant, not all resorts offer Carre Neige...

Anyway, not all resorts sell Carte Neige for walkups either and online you have to affiliate to a ski club which adds anything from a little to a lot of €

Online, we have variously in the past joined the "post, telecom and telegraph workers union of Annecy" ski club, the "winter sports club of the St Julien poste des Douanes" and a variety of other somewhat random associations. When we last bought it as a walkup in Samoens we didn't have to join no steenking club. But that was a couple of years ago.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy