Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long La Tania to Val Thorens?

Poster: A snowHead
We are having a bit of a family argument, can you guys tell us, how long would it take a good skier to get from La Tania to Val Thorens? (assuming good conditions and no queues)
The times are ranging from 45 mins to 2 hours.
And if he missed the last lift how would he get back? Is there buses at night?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's two lifts up from La Tania, then ski down into Meribel, then a short lift and ski up to Mottaret, and another two lifts up (from memory) and ski down into Val Thorens. 45 mins is very optimistic for something involving 5 lifts. I would say something like 1h30 to 2 hours, depending on queues and conditions.

The only bus back would be all the way down to Moutiers, change there and get another up to Courchevel. It would cost around 20 euro and take a couple of hours. I'm not sure how late they run so may not even be a starter. It's much better to not miss the last lift!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I reckon you're looking at 6 lifts. It's all down to how you negotiate the route from Meribel to VT and there are lots of options. I'd reckon it's getting on for 75mins. Personally, once over Col de Loze, I'd probably take Dent de Burgin and Saulire 2, then Plattieres and Cote Brune as the lifts to get there. That allows for a nice long red/black run from Saulire down into Mottaret and a rest on Plattieres, otherwise you're on busy, shortish or transport pistes.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
and how often will you find no queues?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd say about 1.5 hours to be safe.

If you miss the last lift you can ski down to Meribel Village and get a bus from there to La Tania. Well you could 7 years ago when we missed the last lift!!!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@gandie, i would plan 2 hours, and then make sure you dont miss the lift connections. To be honest on the way back as long as you are at the top of the Saulire you can ski down and get the bus from 1850 or 1550 if you miss the last Coq lift. Even with no lift queues and fast lifts it is still some time to sit on a lift. Just getting to the top of Col de Loz will take 20 mins at least as the gondola out of La Tania is not that fast and the Col de Loz lift is relatively slow
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FastCarver74 wrote:
I'd say about 1.5 hours to be safe.

If you miss the last lift you can ski down to Meribel Village and get a bus from there to La Tania. Well you could 7 years ago when we missed the last lift!!!!

Not Meribel Village which is further down the valley below the altiport but Meribel itself, departing from the Chaudanne. last season times here http://www.latania.co.uk/resort/skibus.htm
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@grazzenger, it's not too difficult to cut across from bd de la loze to saulire 2, you just need to get a bit of speed up and you can cut across rather than going down.

the meribel - la tania bus only runs a few weeks of the year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@gandie, there are multiple ways you can go, through Courchevel or either side of Meribel but it's pretty much impossible to do it in less than 1 hour 20 mins, usually 1 hour 30 mins to the top of VT rather than the centre. It's 6 lifts whichever way you go.

Coming back is quicker, only 5 lifts from the centre of VT and 1 hour 20 mins to LT centre. Fastest route is Plein Sud/Bouquetin/Plan-des-Mains/Pas-du-Lac 1/Loze Express. The bail-out option if you're running late is to stay on Pas-du-Lac 2 and try to make Coqs. If you miss it, you can still take the bus from 1850. The bus from Meribel only runs in high season and is unreliable so it's safer to go to Courchevel.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks guys, I put my faith in@Raceplate, I will let you know how we get on and we promise not to miss the last lift!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
and how often will you find no queues?

Quite regularly if you avoid the mega busy weeks.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This has been one of my families favourite challenges over the years - even when the kids were small - to get from LaTania to the top of Orelle and back - always managed it no problem - always had time for a stop and if conditions were fabulous at least 2 runs to top of Orelle! Good luck - and have fun!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Last year we did Les Menuires to La Tania and back in just over 3 hours.

My mate did stop to help every pretty lady that had fallen over back to her feet though!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chriswg, Tell your friend he needs to spend a little more time with the ladies to get something out of it! Puzzled

Outherwise most interesting thread. Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I reckon 1hr 30 sounds about right. I got caught out skiing from the top of Val Thorens (Folie Douche) to La Tania and from memory wrongly estimated it would have taken about 45 mins. Didn't happen! Despite skiing like the wind on my own with no stops and no lift queues as it was the end of the day, I made it as far as Mottaret. At this point they had closed the lift up to access Coucheval. Fortunately as the lifts were still 'on' they let me get on it but by the time I had skied into Courcheval. Everthing was firmly shut off and light was fading. However i discovered at this point that there is a bus that runs from Courcheval to La Tania and the cost is included within your lift pass. I checked the times, had a beer or two whilst waiting and then jumped on the bus. The journey took about 20 mins(?) I think from memory.

It wasn't a great drama but later discovered from a local that getting to Courcheval is key. Getting back from Meribel is longer, harder, more expensive.
snow report
It's not an overly long walk from Meribel Village to La Tania with a great restaurant half way. Maybe not in ski boots though...
snow conditions
grazzenger wrote:
Personally, once over Col de Loze, I'd probably take Dent de Burgin and Saulire 2, then Plattieres and Cote Brune as the lifts to get there.

I prefer to ski down to Meribel and take the Plan de l'Homme chair, then Plattieres and Cote Brune. Assuming you are heading to VT in the morning, you tend to have better conditions on the east facing slopes, not relevant if it has snowed recently. Note however that it will get busy in the peak weeks when the ski schools hit the lifts, in which case you may want to consider any other route across.
latest report
dredgey wrote:
I reckon 1hr 30 sounds about right. I got caught out skiing from the top of Val Thorens (Folie Douche) to La Tania and from memory wrongly estimated it would have taken about 45 mins. Didn't happen! Despite skiing like the wind on my own with no stops and no lift queues as it was the end of the day, I made it as far as Mottaret. At this point they had closed the lift up to access Coucheval.

This is a common error that catches a lot of people out. The Pas du Lac lift closes at 16.20 early season when most other lifts close from 16.25 to 16.45.

There is a second bail-out option though... you can stop 100m above the top/back entrance to Pas du Lac and see if they've roped it off. If they have, whack down the green Truit to Meribel Chaudanne and the Rhodos lift which opens late. From here you have a chance to make the Loze to LT which officially shuts at 16.35 but usually runs a bit later because they know the only people taking it are trying to get home to another valley. It's very tight for time but possible. Even if you miss it, you can continue to Meribel Village where a taxi to LT is about EUR 20 rather than the EUR 40 from Meribel centre. You can spend the 20 Euro saving in the Lodge du Village pub Very Happy
snow report
FWIW, I'm pretty sure that the quickest way to VT since they upgraded Plattieres and the Cote Brune is through Courchevel via La Tania/Dou des Lanches/Sources/Saulire/Plattieres/Cote Brune. It MAY be quicker to go through Meribel via La Tania/Dou des Lanches/Plan de l'Homme/Plattieres/Cote Brune because it's one lift less but only if you're a good glider for the flat bits. If you can't carry your speed and don't know the shortcut, it's a lot of poling.

Neither of these is my preferred route, though. For me the most interesting ski and best warm-up is La Tania/Dou des Lanches/Plan de l'Homme/Tougnette 2/Granges/Mont de la Chambre. This also offers alternative options for the last lift if Mont de la Chambre is busy/out-of-action/you're bored because you can ski straight past it and take Bruyeres instead. Or take Becca and Montaulever if you want to get to the lower parts of VT quickly to get to Orelle.
latest report
How about this option,
La Tania Gondola, Lanches chair, then ski the blue Pic Noir down to the little Foret rope tow by the bottom of the Altiport chair. Take Foret down to the Chaudanne, then Tougnette 1 and 2, ski down to Granges chair, at top head to Cote Brune...and over to VT. Maybe a bit alternative. 1hr 30 would still be my guess.
snow conditions
That's the route I came up with@Perty. As others have said, the trick for getting home is just getting into the Courchevel valley by whatever means. Bit of a schlep otherwise. Worst comes to worst though, just make sure you make it into Meribel so you can get down to the village. A taxi from the VT valley would be a nightmare.
latest report
I have a vague memory of a snowhead who missed the last lift back over and ended up walking up the piste before skiing down to LT.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy