Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go start December?

Poster: A snowHead
Now that it's snowed, any thoughts where best place would be to head if one could hypothetically get away for few days around 5 December? Where will definitely be open and likely to offer greatest extent of skiing at that time?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In France, a lot (the majority) of ski resorts will not be open that early, regardless of the snow. I think a lot of austrian resorts open a bit earlier. It has snowed, but there needs to be more - and happily more is on the way in the coming week. One obvious choice would be the Espace Killy, if you are heading to France. Somewhere with lots of high altitude skiing. This last bout fell as rain at the outset, at low to middling altitude.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All resorts in the Spanish Pyrenees and Andorra, and many in the French Pyrenees, will be open on the 5th December, to cater to the Spanish bank holiday weekend that runs until the 8th. It'll be a little busy, but not enough to put you off going. Baqueira-Beret on the Spanish side has 155km, Grandvalira in Andorra has 200km, Grand Tourmalet on the French side is also large. Baqueira opens this coming weekend in fact, thanks to the half a metre of snow that fell on Saturday, so it's the surest option; but there's no reason at the moment to think that more snow won't arrive. All the resorts in the Pyrenees have got their cannons on full-blast to build a base, thanks to the crazy cold temperatures in northern Spain at the moment.

[And those quoted km are real, not like the ones publicized by resorts in the French Alps!]
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Montafon, Ischgl, Axamer Lizum (and I believe the Arlberg) all open this weekend. All just got a good amount of snow, and it looks like all should get more this weekend.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Flachau opens this weekend
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Serfaus opens on the 3rd Dec and is vety reliable for snow as is pretty high for Austria and it's a nice big area too. It's also looking lovely and white right now Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Obergurgl has been open since the 12th and according to reports on the ground it was pretty decent prior to snow at the weekend. Nice ski area and base if you like nice wellness (spa) type hotels. Not so good if you want pubs and bars etc.

Solden down the road is also worth a look, bigger area has a bit of a rep has a party town but you can easily keep away from it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Grizwald, actually Obergurgl kinda sucked before the new snow Laughing

However it'll be much better now!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm off to Zermatt on 6th Dec. It's looking good now. Tignes and val thorens are also looking great as well as the Austrian glaciers. It's certainly better than this time last year.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd probably go for Ischgl or maybe Obertauern in Austria.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For early December I'd probably go for Tignes. So just as well I'll be there for 3 days from the 5th... wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chamrousse look to have a lot of snow down past 1600m, with another big dump forecast this week on meteoexploration. They open on the 5th December.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Val thorens is looking good, and will be open from Saturday
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any number of "low level" resorts are opening this weekend in parts of Austria, several within less than a one hour drive along a motorway from Salzburg. This year you don't seem to have to go high to guarantee good snow. wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If just for a few days then maybe from Innsbruck airport:

Kuthai (easiest to access by far)
Stubai Glacier
Solden/Obergurgl

If you wanted to go the next week and for 7 days there is an AI offer in Cervinia for just over £300. I was looking at this offer and have one other person interested.
latest report
So I have 3 days next week Fri / Sat / Sun. Question? Is it worth stealing a cheeky ski. Yes is the obvious answer but where can I get to quickly and relatively easily given the small window of opportunity? Fly? Train? Drive?
ski holidays
@peanuthead, Go on the Ischgl Facebook page, snow right down to village level at 1400m - that will make your mind up for you!
latest report
I don't know about the other Pyrennian resorts but for a short break Baqueira, while lovely, doesn't quite tick the "really easy to get to" button.

You really want direct, evening flights both ends and short transfers.
ski holidays
Sierra Nevada in Spain is opening this Saturday (28th November).
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
I don't know about the other Pyrennian resorts but for a short break Baqueira, while lovely, doesn't quite tick the "really easy to get to" button.

You really want direct, evening flights both ends and short transfers.

Yes agreed and Geneva flight tick that box but not sure much is open close to Geneva next weekend?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 25-11-15 23:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Things have certainly changed in the last few days. Little Angel

If you can go for 10 days go to western Canada, Kicking Horse has about 6ft of powder top to bottom.
snow report
@DrLawn, that's a really long transfer from my Geneva flights... wink
latest report
@RetroBod, I'm not sure if you mean this weekend or next... but things are all open around the Ski Amadé area, just fly in to Salzburg. Plus the WE of the 3/4/5 features Krampus festivals, Advent markets but more importantly Tenacious D Gig (Jack Black) opening Schladming on the 4th!
ski holidays
Thanks for replies.

So where do folks think is likely to offer most skiing on week beginning Dec 5? From resorts websites I am concluding Tignes/EK by a country mile probably followed by Ischgl. Zermatt / Verbier not looking like so much will be open. Am I still overlooking anywhere?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy