Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Successfully fitted my Quiver Killers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After a test run with my new Dakine Fall Line Double ski bag I realised that having fixed bindings is a major PITA. A quick email to Jon at The Piste Office confirmed what I needed to order. The various bits, including the DIY fitting kit, arrived a few days later. I'm a reasonably competent DIYer but the thought of drilling my skis, even with the holes already there, filled me with dread. Thankfully a neighbour is a joiner/cabinet maker and has a man cave to die for and in the man cave is a pillar drill. While Jon said it wasn't necessary I was confident that it would enable nice straight holes to be drilled.

The instructions provided by Jon were fairly straightforward and you can download others from the Quiver Killer website. There are a few good videos kicking about that are also helpful.

My neighbour and I managed to drill the holes quite easily. The only issue was with the stop-collar for the drill. It has a grub screw that needs to be tightened but as it is an american kit the allen key need is imperial. Despite both me and my neighbour searching neither of us had an imperial allen key set so the collar was rendered useless. It wasn't too much of an issue as we set the pillar drill to the correct depth. As it was late I decided to leave the threading and fitting of the inserts to the following day.

I had a dry run and notice that a couple of sets of screws were a tad on the short side. A call to Jon soon resolved that as it appears there are different versions of my Fischer X13 bindings. We worked out what was needed and Jon posted the longer screws out to me.

I proceeded with the installation the following day as the screws I had were long enough to enable a trial fitting so there was no point in waiting for the replacements.

Tapping the holes was slightly nerve-wrecking but as I had borrowed from my neighbour the correct tool to hold the tap it was quite easy in the end. I’d strongly recommend that you buy or borrow a tap handle as it ensures that you are applying equal pressure when turning. After tapping all 8 holes I cleaned them out and mixed the epoxy. It doesn't look much once mixed but there was enough, just, for the 8 holes. I used a match to apply it to the holes.

Putting the inserts in was straightforward. There is one that is a tiny bit proud of the top sheet (not sure how that happened) but it isn't causing any issues. I fitted the bindings using the original screws Jon sent and left the epoxy to set. As I was away all week I left them as they were and have only now refitted them with the replacement screws. It is recommended that you use thread lock with them (but no Loctite) and I found the easiest way to apply it was to cut a corner of the packet and dip each screw in. After leaving them to dry for about 10 mins I refitted bindings.

If you are comfortable with DIY and a drill then it is quite straightforward if you are careful. I’d happily do it again.

TOP TIPS

If you can get access to a pillar drill or drill press then do so
Make sure you have an imperial allen key set for the drill collar
Get a proper tap tool handle
Have some extra 24 hour epoxy on standby as there is no room for error such as dropping it on the ground!
A depth gauge ruler like this LIKE THIS

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 3-12-15 23:52; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For reference: The original binding inserts thread:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/195660-Threaded-Inserts-original-backcountryworld-thread
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brilliant idea - Jon fitted mine as I was there doing the tuning course at the same time. Very simple I do not know why all bindings are not fitted this way it does not exactly add huge cost.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gaza, thanks for the write up and useful tips. the link to the measuring tool - is it digital and like a standard tape measure? concerned that something at that economical price may either not be accurate for to long or even stop working. maybe picky fr something that is 7.99 but if im drilling something that is 400+ i want to know its accurate.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@MogulMonkey, I just use a normal non-digital vernier caliper then there's nothing to go wrong or batteries to replace.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@MogulMonkey, that was just an example. I used my neighbours non-electronic version. It was only used to accurately measure the depth of the ski (using the callipers) to ensure that even 9mm wasn't going to be an issue. It was then used again but this time the pointy bit was used to measure the depth of the hole to ensure we had the drill set right. We did this by using a piece of wood that was thicker than the ski but the doing simple arithmetic to ensure the drill depth was set right. e.g. ski 14mm deep, block of wood 18mm deep, hole in wood 13mm deep would give 9mm in ski.

Here is a non-digital version - http://www.amazon.co.uk/150mm-Metric-Imperial-Vernier-Caliper/dp/B00JPDISGQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1448059078&sr=1-5&keywords=vernier+caliper&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jake43, While the individual cost is not big it becomes a significant chunk of the bottom line when multiplied by the several thousands of pairs of skis manufactured each season and most buyers are not aware of the alternative and thus couldn't give a poo-poo. Like any manufactured goods there is always a trade off and the highly (over?) engineered gear has a v healthy premium cost hence there is space in the market for people like Jon to add a bit of customisation for the discerning customer and long may it last. We geeks like the tweeks. Madeye-Smiley Not being critical. I would do exactly as you have done if I had the time to get up to the Piste Office from deepest darkest Cornwall.
I have been planning that my next ski buy would be QKed to take my Diamir bindings and retro my old skis for the same time. But.... tried Marker Kingpins at the Hemel Test on a Volkl touring ski and decided on a different piggy bank raid for the next skis. Just need to remortgage now. snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy