Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Absolute newbie/seasonnaire - which goggles?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey, so I'm doing a season in the alps but have never been skiing before and while I've got most of my gear I'm a bit lost with all the different options for ski goggles. I think I've narrowed it down to two but I dunno which is best. I like the idea of photochromic lenses and have been eyeing up the Bolle Duchess Modulator goggles (http://www.rxsport.co.uk/products/Bolle-Duchess-Ski-Goggles-%252d-Black-%26-White-Nordic-%7B47%7D-Modulator-Citrus-Gun.html), but then I've also seen some Dragon D2 goggles at a similar price with two lenses (ionized and pink ionized, http://www.rxsport.co.uk/products/Dragon-D2-Ski-Goggles-%252d-White-%7B47%7D-Pink-Ionized-%252b-Ionized.html) which seem like they would also suit skiing in most conditions? Are either of them clearly better than the other or will they both be equally good for a season?

Also, I've seen people write about having a backpack, is it normal to go skiing with one and do I need like a special waterproof one or something? I was planning to just shove my keys and bank card in my pocket and head off...

Oh, and I bought two pairs of generic cotton blend snow socks before I read about the benefits of merino wool, will they be alright or should I invest in some proper merino wool ones?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ophelia, Welcome to Snowheads. I bought some Bolle Modulator goggles last winter with modulator citrus lenses and was very pleased with them. They work just as well as my old yellow low light goggles and almost as well as my old bright light goggles.

If you want to take more stuff, spare goggles, extra clothes, water, food, etc you'll need a rucksack, nothing special, if you stick with keys and wallet you won't.

Merino are nice and warm and don't normally get smelly as quickly Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ophelia Look no further then Summit

I have used these for a couple of seasons and love them. Their Xpose I are simply awesome and they have improved with their Xpose II; both magnetic lenses that never fall off yet are changed in seconds. All products come with your chosen lens as well as a low light version.

Superb value for money in a product that is as good or better than the established named products and they are British too!!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Make sure, whatever goggles you go for, they fit with your helmet.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

whatever goggles you go for, they fit with your helmet.

a very good point. Not just to avoid the gap. I bought new goggles last season in a shop with a big choice and some of those which fitted my face well would NOT stretch to go round a helmet. Lots wouldn't, actually, even at maximum adjustent. I was surprised to find that, given how ubiquitous helmets are becoming.

@Ophelia, welcome to snowheads. snowHead I'd never buy goggles without trying them on - you'd be surprised how different they can feel.

Have a great time. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Backpacks are a PINA IMHO. As for goggles, definitely try them on with your helmet (if you wear one), as this can be a very costly error. I personally love SCOTT goggles and I've found they have the best quality lenses I've experienced. My current ones are great in all conditions.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't forget the aesthetics here. See how they look with rest of your outfits, snap a selfie or two.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quote:

whatever goggles you go for, they fit with your helmet.

a very good point. Not just to avoid the gap. I bought new goggles last season in a shop with a big choice and some of those which fitted my face well would NOT stretch to go round a helmet. Lots wouldn't, actually, even at maximum adjustent. I was surprised to find that, given how ubiquitous helmets are becoming.

I have a pair with the opposite problem. Not too much of an issue for me as I wear a helmet, but they won't go small enough to fit with a hat Confused
Definitely try them on.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Backpacks - some love them, some hate them.

Reasons for having one are:
* You'll be going off piste so need to carry all the kit.
* You're on a budget so want to carry food/drink rather than buy it on the mountain.
* You're in dormitory accomodation and don't have anywhere safe to leave passport/wallet/card/etc in resort to want to keep it all with you.
* You're old and starting to fall apart so need; goggles for skiing, prescription sunglasses for sitting outside, distance glasses to find a table inside, near glasses for reading the menu, ...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mjit wrote:

* You're old and starting to fall apart so need; goggles for skiing, prescription sunglasses for sitting outside, distance glasses to find a table inside, near glasses for reading the menu, ...

Oh god, I'm old....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
1 Welcome

2 Merino wool is the only option, I have smart wool ones and they are perfect, I also have the mons roayle base layer

3 Googles are subjective but fit is the most important part, you might be better getting some when your our there if you can't try before you buy. Most of the girls who I ski with are in Oakley O Frames with Prizm lenses which while expensive are truly epic.

4 Packs = Dakine, I have a heli pro which has seen well over a seasons worth of use and its still waterproof enough and hasn't had any damage.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ophelia,

Merino wool might be wonderful, but it's not the only option by a very long chalk. Never skied with it and never felt the need to. None of my family have ever used it either. Chances are that pretty much any pair of ski socks will be absolutely fine. If you struggle and feela desperate need for Merino wool then you can get some later.

Goggles - I'd go for something pretty cheap to start with. You don't need interchangeable lenses or a cool brand. They're just goggles. By a half-decent pair around the £50 mark or less. Do make sure they fit with your helmet.

Backpacks - Exactly as Mjit says above. There are some valid reasons to carry them, but otherwise they seem a slightly British obsession. I did a quck survey last time I was in the Alps and it looked as though about 10% carried backpacks and most of them seemed to be British. If you don't really need one I'd definitely avoid them. Several reasons:
1. They raise your centre of gravity and will make skiing harder, even if only very slightly - Depends how many bottles of wine you pack in.
2. they are a pain on chairlifts - Just google 'backpacks chairlift' apart from the horror stories of people being killed because of them you will have to take them on and off for every lift.
3. Anything that encumbers you and detracts from the feeling of freedom is a pity.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd buy your gear when you get there, staff discount is easy to get and there's more stuff available usually.

Goggles I switched to photochromic last year and I like them. I'd not go back. Mine are Salomon but I'm sure they're all the same. Alternatives are different pairs for different light, or (as I used to do) take sunglasses for bright light, or use the pairs with two lenses.

You don't need a backpack. Most people at resorts don't use them. If you must, then something specifically designed for the sport works best. DaKine's stuff is standard for "shovel packs" (a pack carrying avalanche gear used off piste) and rides really well on snow. They're not waterproof (snow melts, but not on a backpack, and you don't ride in the rain much, not at all if you have all season to go at). Stick your bank card in a plastic bag though, just in case your jacket turns out to be garbage. American and Canadian resorts have free lockers and also "bag trees", which are places you can stash your pack if you have to carry one to the resort. They assume you'd not be wanting to carry the thing around, at a resort.

Socks. Personal choice. Again, if you get ones specially designed for the sport then they'll probably be the right thickness (which is not very).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got some low light Sinner goggles last year. i think they are very good value, i can't tell the difference from high end ones (except on the price tag!). You might see more difference in bright sun lenses.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Apart from the fit side of things, the goggles lenses are the biggest factor, as every ones eyes/perception are different. The best thing to do is buy in the resort, and if you can try them outside as artificial light won't show you anything. Also try as many different lens types as is practical.

For bright light most brands lenses will go a good job, but it is at the marginal end of visibility that you will notice the biggest difference between lenses. I once tried on a battered old pair of Adidas goggles that an Instructor friend had been given as a freebie, which seemed to cut through everything in poor light, but sadly I have never been able to find anything close since Sad

It think goggles are like ski boots, your mate might rave about Brand X, but unless they fit and work for you, don't buy them.
snow report
@Ophelia,

I've had a couple of pairs of Dragon (DX) Goggles and they seem to be of reasonable optically and don't fog up andy worse than other brands I've tried. I am keen to try some photo chromatic lenses though so if you try to those Bolle ones do update us.

I've got a Dakine backpack, a Heli, it's no more waterproof than any of the others I own, but it does have a goggles pocket and ski/board cary abilities that are ski/board specific.

As far as Merino wool goes, it really isn't your only choice. I've got and have several different brands of merino and purely synthetic socks, for both skiing and hiking. They're not that different when it comes to warmth or smelliness, but it seems to me that merino and blends don't last as long. In terms of base layers I prefer my Patagonia Capilene synthetic ones by a shot - they wick better, which is the most important function of a base layer, and only cost £15 in the sales from EB.
ski holidays
The best buy, ie. the best quality for the least money. Tkmaxx, have some good buys, they're clueless re. skiwear RRPs.

I bought my daughter a pair of POC Lobes from their online site recently for £49.95. The stated RRP was £125, the actual RRP is nearer £160.00, bargain. wink
latest report
@Mollerski,
Quote:

Tkmaxx, have some good buys, they're clueless re. skiwear RRPs.
Arguably they have a great deal more idea of the actual value as opposed to the price that manufacturers might think their product is worth.
snow conditions
1. Goggles:

I wouldn't scrimp too much, and I would find a pair with interchangeable lenses. If you're doing the whole season you'll be skiing everything from bluebird sun to mid-winter storms, and different lenses make a HUGE difference in how well you can see (and thus ski). I was genuinely amazed the first time I used my Smith low light lenses, it was such an improvement. While they're expensive, the price per day of use for a pair of Smith I/Os is easily justifiable IMO. Conversely I once won a pair of €250 Dragon goggles, and though them nowhere near as good as the Smith's - style over substance.

2. Backpacks:

While I find the 'horror stories' faintly ridiculous (you don't have to take them off on every lift, and unless you're incredibly dumb leaving open straps flailing around everywhere, it would take the most freakish of accidents to actually cause an issue on a lift), you only need one if you're going offpiste (and so need to carry avalanche safety kit). Jackets/salopettes have more than enough pockets for phones/wallets/hats/sunglasses/etc, and if you're onpiste you're never more than a couple of hundred metres from hot chocolate, food, and free tap water. Saying that, I usually wear my backpack every time I ski now whatever I'm doing, just 'cos it feels weird to ski without it. Guess it's just what you get used to.

3. Socks.

Get what's cheap in TK Maxx. Merino is nice but nowhere near essential - just means you can get a few more days use between washes wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 21-11-15 12:27; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@Ophelia, But most importantly, have a great season. Get up the mountain as much as you can.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the replies! I think I'll leave getting goggles and a helmet till I'm in the resort then, as I live in the middle of nowhere and don't have a car so it's not that easy to get to a proper ski store and try them on. Good to know I don't need a proper backpack, I'm definitely not one for carrying lots of things round with me. Well the socks I bought are pretty thick and I think they might actually be for under snow boots as they're labelled snow socks rather than ski socks... I'll have a look in Tk Maxx, now I know what I'm looking for Smile
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Mollerski,
Quote:

Tkmaxx, have some good buys, they're clueless re. skiwear RRPs.
Arguably they have a great deal more idea of the actual value as opposed to the price that manufacturers might think their product is worth.

Possibly, but not always. If they have a clue, they'll pitch high. If they don't, there might be a bargain to be grabbed. I've had a couple of steals where their proclaimed RRP has been significantly less than the actual RRP. It's rare, but it's not unknown.
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
.. Backpacks:... you don't have to take them off on every lift...
=> Someone is wrong on the internet. That never happened before.

I don't use them on piste myself or care much, but I'm not making it up: I've seen this rule enforced many times in North America.
snow report
philwig wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
.. Backpacks:... you don't have to take them off on every lift...
=> Someone is wrong on the internet. That never happened before.

I don't use them on piste myself or care much, but I'm not making it up: I've seen this rule enforced many times in North America.

Maybe different in North America, but you certainly don't have to take them off on 'every lift.' Personally I've never even been questioned about it in: Austria, France, Switzerland, Italy, Scotland, Japan, India (skiing 10 months a year in a variety of resorts).

There are ~15,800 lifts in the Alps, compared to ~3400 in North America (and ~1000 in Japan), so even if it is enforced on every single lift in NA, you can still ride most lifts in the world without having to take your backpack off.

Not that I care very much either Laughing
latest report
No it is not enforced on every lift in north america either. Dont recall ever actually but i dont ski the big colorado resorts.
snow report
I generally wear a back pack all season, and I never take it off on lifts and have never experienced a problem. The only PITA is that, if the bag has a lot of stuff in it, you have to sit further forward on the seat.
ski holidays
@Ophelia, Aldi/Lidl do some very nice Merino base layers at a reasonable price, also other ski gear..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy