Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

really really really last minute accomodation

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone just arrived at a ski resort on say a Monday morning and asked what accommodation is available for that week and been successful and had it cheap as the apartment definitely isn't being used that week.
I want to go away new year (which I know will be busy but do they sell out every single apartment)
I Can't get there until the Monday as I have my boys on Boxing Day. Was thinking of jumping in the car Sunday 27th and Driving down either on my own or a friend or my eldest son. Arrive Monday morning and go to the tourist office or e mail them the day before or en route. Stay Monday to Friday. Five days solid skiing then home. Think driving (even solo) will be cheaper than flights and transfers or car hire for this date.
Any ideas or suggestions???
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds terrifying @garethjomo,
I'll be watching this topic though to see what peoples experiences have been. Could be a great adventure!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm. I think you'd need to be prepared to stay down in a valley somewhere, as a fallback, if you can't get accommodation in resort.

IME French agencies don't necessarily let places out mid-week even if they are empty that week - or if they did, they'd probably charge the full weekly rate. Knowing you were standing there, with nowhere to lay your head. wink

It'll be busy, too. No chance you could go in January?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't think it's remotely terrifying. You're going to the Alps, not Ladakh. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suspect you will get a better deal if you ring a tour operator on a Friday and ask what they have available on the Saturday.
You are not committed to a particular resort this way.
If you turn up in resort you may get a good deal but the providers of accommodation will know you want something in THAT resort. You are not likely to spend a day and a half driving from Les Arcs to Val D' Isere to La Plagne etc and they will know that
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, I like to know where I'm going lay my head when it's -17 outside Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@garethjomo, I remember meeting some people in St Anton when I did a season there who tried/were trying that in Feb... And didn't find anything.

However after some help/advice they found something in Ischgl so just hopped on the train to Landeck and then took the bus.

With the flexibility of a car to easily get to another village down the valley or even another nearby resort if needs be, I'd think you should be able to work something out. Just call the various tourist offices from speakerphone while enroute.

Pack a good sleeping bag in the car just in case you get caught out for a night though!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you talk to the TOs (probably a bit difficult with Xmas in the way) about a week before I'd just book accomodation only in a chalet or hotel and then find your way there with own travel. There will be space, but you won't probably know where until quite close to the time, if you are flexible enough to be happy with wherever then it will probably be easy - of course that means finding your own flights and transfers when you need them, but I'd expect in the week before you are due to leave there will be enough discount that losing a couple of days of the trip won't really matter.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It is hard for accommodation providers to sort out non weekend changeovers and meet-and-greets on no notic.
For NY week I would not take a chance unless you are driving somewhere and are willing to stay out of area (as @pam w suggests).
We have had door knockers around these times (and half-term). It is just too late unless you are lucky to find a hotel with rooms.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If an accommodation provider realises that you are in resort without accommodation, they may be tempted to take advantage of your situation, I would be inclined to book from the UK either with UK TO or ring the local tourist office in the resort
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@garethjomo, I know that in Chamonix the place is sold out for New Year. We've seen frantic efforts to find accommodation right at the last minute.

However, if you really don't care where you stay e.g. down the valley, you'll probably find something.

I would be trying to book something up now and accept that you'll pay for the full week.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@letsgetpiste, but would you really be "terrified" to be in your own car, with credit cards and a map, in France, Austria or somewhere similar, without knowing in the morning where you would be "laying your head" that evening? If worst comes to the worst, with plenty of fuel, a sleeping bag, an egg and cress sandwich, a bar of chocolate and a bottle of beer it would not be too enormous an adventure to spend the night in the car.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
@letsgetpiste, but would you really be "terrified" to be in your own car, with credit cards and a map, in France, Austria or somewhere similar, without knowing in the morning where you would be "laying your head" that evening? If worst comes to the worst, with plenty of fuel, a sleeping bag, an egg and cress sandwich, a bar of chocolate and a bottle of beer it would not be too enormous an adventure to spend the night in the car.

Fair enough... now the only thing to be worried about is the safety of that egg and cress sandwich you made 900 miles ago!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many years ago I ended up in Les Arcs with my then girl friend (Now wife) though lord knows how after this experience really quite late with no where to stay and discovered I was in the wrong bit of Les Arcs for the accommodation office.
I managed to cadge a room in a flooded chalet for the night fortunately after quite a bit of trying.

Next day we got a very pleasant discounted apartment.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Loads of availability showing on airbnb for that Monday-Friday over new year in French alps.

I used to just turn up on spec and find somewhere even in so-called busy weeks but these days there's no point not booking something first because its so darn easy.
ski holidays
+1 for trying airbnb, though I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to leave it until arriving before arranging something.
If you are determined to arrange once you get there, I'd suggest that it might be wise to aim for an area with several resorts within easy access of one another. As someone else said above, some of the French big name resorts are quite remote, and you might end up driving hours from one to another (if you don't get lucky).

Aiming for the Tirol (for example) might be safer, as there are a lot of resorts within a couple of hours drive....
snow conditions
I presume the whole purpose of this is to get something so last minute that it's dirt cheap. I'm not sure it works like that any more. Especially as it's that week I'd be inclined to get something booked before you go. You'll make much better decisions while you are still warm at home rather than searching airbnb/tourist office etc. with a dodgy phone connection in driving snow half-way up a mountain in the dark.
snow report
Quote:

now the only thing to be worried about is the safety of that egg and cress sandwich you made 900 miles ago

Laughing
snow conditions
I presume the whole purpose of this is to get something so last minute that it's dirt cheap. I'm not sure it works like that any more. Especially as it's that week I'd be inclined to get something booked before you go. You'll make much better decisions while you are still warm at home rather than searching airbnb/tourist office etc. with a dodgy phone connection in driving snow half-way up a mountain in the dark.
ski holidays
You don't say where you're going, but I think just asking at the tourist office may not be too productive. Many resorts now have a dedicated agency handling accommodation letting, e.g http://booking.lesmenuires.com/en/accommodation?sorting=sd I've also had apartments from abritel before: https://www.abritel.fr/ You can usually talk to the owner and make the arrangment to pick up the keys on the monday rather than the usual saturday. Of course you'd need to pay for the whole week.

If you actually know you're going to do this, why not just book the apartment in advance!
snow report
pam w wrote:
@letsgetpiste, If worst comes to the worst, with plenty of fuel, a sleeping bag, an egg and cress sandwich, a bar of chocolate and a bottle of beer it would not be too enormous an adventure to spend the night in the car.

Not too enormous an adventure but b***y unpleasant if the the temperature is -25C as it can be at that time of year... That bottle of beer may end up frozen.
ski holidays
If it is out of peak season (Xmas, NY, Feb Holidays, Easter) then it should be quite easy.... although I've never done it PERSONALLY.

I went on a week holiday with 7 mates in January in Alpe Deuz (aged 35 - 70). The Catered Chalet was a bit basic, but we didn't mind too much. On the last night, the group leader and the 70yo (who had been sharing a room) asked us if we wanted to go to their hotel!?!?!?!?!?!?!? It turns out that when we arrived, they took one look at their room, and decided it wasn't worth staying in... so they dropped their bags and wandered over to the a hotel, and booked a pair of rooms for the week. They got a bargain price (since the hotel was only half full), and just came back to the chalet for breakfast and evening dinner.... gits!
latest report
@pam w, Loving your sense of adventure Pam, and completely concur Very Happy
snow report
andyrew wrote:
pam w wrote:
@letsgetpiste, If worst comes to the worst, with plenty of fuel, a sleeping bag, an egg and cress sandwich, a bar of chocolate and a bottle of beer it would not be too enormous an adventure to spend the night in the car.

Not too enormous an adventure but b***y unpleasant if the the temperature is -25C as it can be at that time of year... That bottle of beer may end up frozen.

There are ways and means, but personally I'd upgrade the sandwich (mind, that was Spring, but not warm at the time):

snow conditions
andyrew wrote:
Not too enormous an adventure but b***y unpleasant if the the temperature is -25C as it can be at that time of year...

Hell, I had a tantrum about sleeping in the car in Rock. In August!

(I didn't in the end but ... long story Shocked .)
snow conditions
@andyrew, I'd have drunk the beer. And I have spent a night in a car in a ski resort - with enough fuel to keep running the engine now and then to get some heat through. Wasn't -25 though, maybe -15 in the wee small hours. I was warm enough, but it wasn't a great night's sleep. My main fear was having to get out to pee - but that didn't happen and I was in the warm having coffee and croissants (and a pee) before 8 am. But there is absolutely no reason why the OP would have to spend a night in the car - he can just potter down the valley and find a hotel.

Being prepared to spend a night (or a good many very cold hours) in a car always makes sense in the mountains Lots of people did it on the "Snowmageddon" day of the Christmas/New Year changeover last year. And if you had a breakdown - or damaged a tyre in one of those stupid vehicles with no spare - you could wait for some hours

One of the things in my car in winter is a "plug in" electric kettle and some Cup a Soups. In the box with the chains and the jump leads. Last year I packed some very cheap and nasty Tesco Value chocolate bars - things never got bad enough to eat them, though! I also have a shovel - so could keep the exhaust clear if necessary.
ski holidays
After last Christmas (so for the New Year week) whilst packing up to leave Morzine in the morning, as it had started snowing, I booked us into a chalet in La tania starting that night Smile Got a good deal too, but we were more than willing to drive home if we had found nothing! Meant we got caught up in the 'snowmeggadon' though Sad
ski holidays
@CaravanSkier, exactly - anyone can get caught out in freak weather. Being prepared to spend a night in the car if necessary is just common sense.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, Agreed!
latest report
I've decided to book in advance instead after reading the thread. Few negotiations with ex wife and I can now leave Boxing day afternoon. Managed to book Sunday to Sunday accommodation in Val Thorens. Taking my eldest son and meeting some friends out there.
We are all prepared for snowmageddon. I have a cab van in which we can both comfortably lie out (not quite straight) in sleeping bags and sleep. Will have a load of food too just in case.
latest report
@garethjomo, you will not regret that decision.
ski holidays
garethjomo wrote:
I've decided to book in advance instead after reading the thread. Few negotiations with ex wife and I can now leave Boxing day afternoon. Managed to book Sunday to Sunday accommodation in Val Thorens. Taking my eldest son and meeting some friends out there.
We are all prepared for snowmageddon. I have a cab van in which we can both comfortably lie out (not quite straight) in sleeping bags and sleep. Will have a load of food too just in case.
Sensible man!
snow conditions
(Quite) A few years back a large group of friends of mine booked a week in LDA with a TO and at the time I was unable to confirm but a couple of weeks beforehand I managed to get the time off. I booked a flight (which happened to be the same one as they were on, Monarch IIRC) and when I got to the airport I blagged a lift on the same bus as my friends and spoke to the reps about likely accommodation in the resort and they managed to sort me out in the Hotel La Meije (my mates were all in apartments at the other end of the town). However whether you could do this today is another matter and I as I am now considerably older and less risk averse (at least in this respect) I doubt I would do this myself now either.
ski holidays
@garethjomo, I've done it. Phoned the tourist office on sat morning while negotiating M27 on the way to the tunnel. They gave me details of booking agents in the village (you could do that in advance). Got a 25% discount on an apartment for four as it was last minute, arrived in the resort just after midnight, unpacked and asleep by 01.00, skiing at 09.00
snow report
@Chamcham, that sounds good. But was it New Year?
snow conditions
@pam w, No, half term. Choosing a quiet(er) visit like Nendaz helped
latest report
I have called a TO the day before departure for New Year, and reserved good accommodation at a very good discount (+1 for Powderbeds). Put the phone down, got in the car and went.
Having stayed in some typical French accommodation found on spec (anyone stayed in Tourmalet?) I found it pays dividend to have some prior knowledge of your destination.
ski holidays
@garethjomo, I was driving to Austria for Boxing Day and returning on the 2nd, thought I best check flights one more time just in case (they were £250+).....Gatwick to Friedrichshafen (German/Swiss Border) - £101rtn with 23kg checked luggage - two items of hand luggage with BA.
My sister works for BA so got me an extra £16 knocked off so I paid £85. They are still available at that price too.

About 90 mins to St Anton/Lech/Warth and 75mins to the Montafon area, 2hrs to Davos/Klosters. Bavaria is also a good option too amongst a host of other Austrian resorts less than 3hrs away (Solden, Obergurgl etc). Or drive 2hrs 30 and stay in Innsbruck for guaranteed accomodation there must a half a dozen or more ski resorts with 30/45 mins of Innsbruck!

Much cheaper than the £200 eurotunnel plus fuel (£150+), plus winter tyres (£250+) and extra insurance/breakdown cover.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy