Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Problems with K2 phase helmet...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got my son a new helmet, as he had outgrown his other one. The 'old' helmet was a K2 phase helmet, bought 2 years ago and used for 2 weeks skiing, few days in snow world and a handful of sessions at the ski club. Kept indoors in the wardrobe in a fleece helmet bag. Never dropped, no scratches or dents on it, so excellent condition.

Was going to give this to my friend (if it fits her of course), but I have now noticed the inner poly coming away from the shell totally. Now is this normal after so little use? I would not use it anymore myself, don't think it's safe. We have had many helmets over the years as we also ride MTB, including Downhill (so normal and full face mtb helmets), and we replace them every so often. However, this has never happened to a helmet before.

Worth a visit to the shop we bought it? Not really a good sign..... Not expecting to get anything, but just think they should be made aware.

Simone
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I still have retired mountain bike and ski helmets which are 5+ years old, which are still apparently in perfect mechanical condition, so your one looks like a manufacturing fault.

Most manufacturers give 12 months, but it would be worth raising it with the shop, and if no result, raise a warranty issue on the K2 website.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think I will do that. It's more than a year old, but should last longer than 2 weeks use. Looks like it has something to do with the vents that open and close.

And same here, I have much older, well used helmets that are fine.

Simone
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whatever you do guarantee wise, do not use this helmet again. It probably got a knock at some point or was compressed. In the motorcycle world if you drop your helmet onto a hard surface it is considered scrap, it is just too dangerous to risk unseen damage. I got a serious head injury skiing last March, my top of the range Giro helmet took a lot of the impact and the liner detached from the outer shell. Without the helmet I would not be here. Old helmets? Bin them, the plastic degrades over time, especially if subjected to UV rays, and there are a lot of those around on ski slopes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Mike. Taken it to the shop and they are contacting k2. When I said I have older helmets that are fine, I meant they don't have this problem, and they are older than 20months. By well used I meant used daily on a cycling commute. The helmet in question has not had a knock, so liner should not have detached. Like I said, probably got something to do with the vents.

I agree, replace helmets regularly, and bin when knocked. In the last 5 years we've had helmets save us from serious injury twice. Husband cracked a helmet in snowworld, when learning to snowboard whilst moving at about 0.5 mph! My son had a big mtb off on a downhill course recently and would have been without front teeth without his full face.

Simone
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I fractured my skull above my right eye, shattered my eye socket and broke my upper mandible because I did not have face protection. I now have a metal plate holding my eye socket/cheekbone in place. Currently looking for a ski helmet with face protection like my flip front motorcycle helmet. Nearest I can find is a POC with a chin guard at £300! I can't afford to take another hit to the face as I would not get away with it again. Have also looked at snow bike helmets which are a little lighter than MC helmets and include face protection, but are impossible to get in the UK. As a matter of interest my consultant tells me Schumacher's injury was caused by a GoPro on the helmet which drove bits of helmet plastic into his brain. So I won't be mounting a GoPro on my helmet again, when I was hit it was fortunately mounted on my ski tip.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mike Raeburn,

Sweet Protection do very high quality helmets. Not cheap but again like POC you get what you pay for. They also have comparable range in kayak helmets which may do if you do not ski in really cold weather or wear a silk balaclava.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy