Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Board sizing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm used to renting boards but with 2 weeks on the slopes ahead, I'd probably be able to buy a 2nd hand board for the price of hire & be able to call it my own/break it in. Be used to it again??? I've got my own boots.

I never really know what size I'm given.

Recommendation for a 5'4" fatty? I weigh about 85kg.

Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If all else fails, look up the board specification and find one where you're in the middle of the manufacturer's recommended weight range. If you're aggressive or expert you'd maybe not be asking, but you'd probably not want to be at the top of the weight range. Beginners or indoor riders would do the opposite.

Otherwise, it's really, really easy.
  • Read the specifications (there are no honest reviews), and pick a few types of board you fancy.
  • Ride each of them (any decent shop will do "demos"). Start with the "correct" size for your weight, then try one size up or down based on how that felt.
  • Buy the board which you find easiest to ride.
Other approaches are guess work. Many people buy boards without trying them, which seems nuts to me, but there it is. They probably get the wrong size (typically too big in the USA and too small in the UK, strangely), and then give up snowboarding because they find it hard to progress on bad equipment.

Don't forget to factor in the costs for board preparation (wax and repairs) and transport (a bag plus flight costs).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
philwig wrote:

Don't forget to factor in the costs for board preparation (wax and repairs) and transport (a bag plus flight costs).

Absolutely this - if you're doing it to save money, then realistically it'll end up costing you double this season, as you'll buy the 2nd hand board, then also pay for the transport.

There's also a chance you'll end up thinking, after two more weeks' progress, that you really want your own "proper" board, and end up shelling out a few hundred quid in the sales as well.

I'd personally rent for this season, then see what bargains you can grab come Easter time (especially if you happen to be in Europe at Easter, I got some great Union bindings for about £80 last year).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy