Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

4.5 week fitness plan?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Booked a 2 week boarding holiday over xmas & new year. I've neglected boarding (& fitness in general) for about 2 years. I haven't been to the dome since then & it's been a decade since I've been on real snow with a board strapped to my feet!

I've been going to the gym for a few weeks in attempt at a) lose some weight pre trip and b) get fitter. I think I'm getting a bit fitter - gym sessions are much less painful, but I'm not seeing weight loss results.

Tips to ramp up the game in the last month...? Otherwise I might have to buy blokes boarding pants because my ass is too big for girls!!!

rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads, @dearlouise, snowHead You've not got long. Long enough to make a difference, though. Have a look at the thread in the apres section about the 5:2 diet which is simple and effective. Some inspiring stories there.

I'm sure you know exactly what you have to do to lose weight. Eat fewer calories than you expend! You won't lose much weight just through exercise unless you go completely mad (which will bring its own problems). But you might find that getting more active helps control your appetite.

Cut those calories; every pound you can lose will make your holiday so much more enjoyable.

If you drink alcohol, stop for a bit - hugely fattening stuff, alcohol.

The 5:2 diet seems to work well because for 5 days a week you eat normally.

If you google ski exercises you'll find loads - especially for legs. Squats, lunges, all that stuff.

If you cycle, do it up hills (though it's not a great time of year for cycling outdoors, is it?)

Good luck - and have a great holiday. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Running / Treadmill, rowing, cross trainer, static bike or spinning or outdoor cycling

Read up on Dr Tabata. Fitness at short burst but very fast 1-2 minutes. It's great!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Except if you are starting from scratch you are asking for muscle injury which will ruin the holiday with rowing and running. Cross training from scratch is almost asking for trouble. But cycling is cool.

With short notice you are far better at low impact, stretching, yoga, Nordic walking, as well as cutting out the alcohol, crips, coke and cakes. Lots of stretching, assisted if you've got someone (otherwise Pilates classes) will make a surprisingly beneficial improvement

Good luck, enjoy Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Otherwise I might have to buy blokes boarding pants because my ass is too big for girls!!!

At least you won't need impact shorts!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Beginner: hill walking on treadmill or the steepest hill you can find locally
A bit of fit: spinning class
In addition to aerobic stuff: any core exercises, lunges and squats preferably ployometric if you joints can take it.

Oh hang on did you say youre a boarder? No need then, right just sit sit yo butt right down whenever 😉
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm sure someone on here that knows alot more about snowboarding and what muscle groups are at play will chip in but the following may of use:

http://www.tetongravity.com/video/ski/leg-blasterstgr-ski-sb-training-camp-1
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sev112 wrote:
Except if you are starting from scratch you are asking for muscle injury which will ruin the holiday with rowing and running. Cross training from scratch is almost asking for trouble. But cycling is cool.

With short notice you are far better at low impact, stretching, yoga, Nordic walking, as well as cutting out the alcohol, crips, coke and cakes. Lots of stretching, assisted if you've got someone (otherwise Pilates classes) will make a surprisingly beneficial improvement

Good luck, enjoy Smile

+1 snowHead

Get outside on a bike as often as possible between now and then, for at least an hour at a time, going at a pace you can sustain without significant breaks. If/When the weather is grim, do a spin class.

For weight loss, consistency is important too, especially with such a short time frame. Try to exercise more days than you aren't. Take a rest day if you feel you need it, but if you need 2+ days to recover after a single workout, go for something a bit easier that you can do more often.

If you're sore, gentle exercise and stretching the following day can help you recover, and drink lots of water.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dearlouise, heed the words of pam w: she posts a lot of sense.
Just exercise fails. Often because now you think you can justify the odd chocky or bag of crisps or whatever coz of the exercise just done.
(And of course with exercise your appetite goes up.)
So you need some discipline. And get rid of temptation.
All those crisp packets, peanut packets, biscuit packets, sweets? Get rid of them.
However tough you think you are, their persistent siren call will always win.
(I'm sure there are work colleagues or friends who would be delighted with the donations)
Cut down on the booze - stop completely if you can.
And then: no second helpings, no chips, no buns, and no puddings.
Eat fruit instead.
And award yourself a Gold Star every day you stick with it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm going through the exact same journey at the moment but I decided to plump for 10x Personal Trainer sessions as I know I wouldn't be self-motivated enough to see it through.

The best machine (if you can find a gym with one) is an ARC trainer - http://www.arctrainer.com/default.aspx. It's low impact, high results. I guess an elliptical trainer would be nearly as good if you cant find an arc.

In terms of losing weight, I was struggling at first despite really cutting down bad meals. The problem, as mentioned above, was drinking (not excessively) 3 times a week. If you can cut alcahol for the next 5 weeks you will probably lose half a stone without even trying!

Other things I've done are, swapping breakfast to a bowl of Special K (without sugar), lunch is now either a chicken salad or a healthy sandwich. Dinner is the same as usual.

No more snacking on crisps / chocolate during the day and cutting fizzy drinks completely. Even diet/zero drinks are bad for your diet. My PT instructor said they put your body into an acidic state which means you retain fat. By getting it into an alkaline state you are more likely to burn the fat naturally. Fruit / veg / whole grains are all good for getting your alkaline levels up, as is being less stressed (not always possible to control!).

Hope this helps. I'm down a stone in the last 5 weeks with just making these little changes. I'm hoping for another 8-10 lbs before we hit the slopes on Boxing Day.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'll be honest, I hate the gym. Get outdoors, you'll burn more as the weather gets colder and you'll come to love the stormiest of days outside.

Hill running - min 1 time a week
Insanity - 3 times a week
Long Hike - 1 time a week

If you've done Mountain Biking before then replace one insanity session with a Mountain Bike session. Taking up Mountain Biking on top may be a step too far right now but only you know your own skills and limits.

To support your new fitness regime you need to eat right, start your day with porridge and linseed, all other meals should be high protein and good carbs (sweet potato etc), eat as much veg as you want and 3-4 fruits a day. If you want snacks I'd recommend Corn Cakes or Oat Cakes with Peanut Butter (min 97% peanuts), a small bit of nutella if you need a sweetner. Besides that one square of dark choc (min 70%) will wipe away those chocolate and sweet cravings. Up the coffee intake to 3-5 cups a day but no coffee 8 hours before bedtime Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What fantastic replies. Thanks so much guys.
I'm feeling motivated, excited & eager to get moving despite the dwindling results over the last 3 weeks.
I think seeing the dusting of snow outside helped this morning!!!

I *think* I'm going to do 'slim fast' for the month, cuts out any 'bad decisions' for the first 2 meals of the day then just protein & a whole load of veg in the evening. Or maybe even porridge, slim fast shake for lunch & then protein/veg evening meal... I've successfully reduced the 'bad snacks' already over the last 3 weeks. Which is why I'm a bit frustrated with the minimal loss (5lbs in 3 weeks) Sad

My issue is pepsi max (I've heard lots lately that they cause your body to hoard fat) & alcohol. My job is stressful so it's either the need for caffeine during the day or alcohol to calm me in the evenings!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That is not a minimal loss. 2 kilos in real measurements. Well done. You can expect to lose another kilo every two weeks, and it is about the food and drink. This is a worthwhile and sustainable weight loss. Keep it going. You will notice a difference.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dearlouise, I used myfitnesspal app to track *EVERYTHING* I ate or drank (inc alchohol), it compensates for activity as well which is handy.

but for me to lose weight I had to eat around 1500 calories a day which was quite an eye opener! It did work though, down from 79kg to 74kg in about 6 months! But that also included exercising 6 days a week....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy