Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Current conditions in Zermatt (and Cervinia)

Poster: A snowHead
Freefall wrote:
Will be there on the 20th! Was there 2 years ago at week before xmas, amazing what the Italians can do with artificial snow, could ski to the bottom with green fields either side.

Today they have opened up down to Plan Maison and also down into the village. That is exactly as you describe - one lonely piste with green either side. Plenty of good stuff higher up though and even better on the Swiss side. The Swiss have opened up down to Patrullarve although only the red piste and not the black which is a pity as I love that one.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haven't skied with kids yet but I imagine it would be a bit of a trek to go over, once up there you have to ski a fair bit down to get the lift back up and its also very high (highest ski lift in Europe on the way back). Coupled with the extra cost of the lift pass for all of you and the daylight robbery if you had to buy anything over there it might not be worth it (unless snow massively better over there which at the moment it looks like it is).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am currently in Cervinia. Today I skied across to the Zermatt side, took the km lift up, and skied down as far as Furi. It's man made below Trockner Steg, but the slopes are in good shape. I saw no bare patches and no stones. On the Cervinia side, it's quite firm underfoot and I saw a few shiny patches. Caught the lift down as the home run was being groomed and was closed.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh great. Getting excited now! Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowbunny wrote:
I am currently in Cervinia. Today I skied across to the Zermatt side, took the km lift up, and skied down as far as Furi. It's man made below Trockner Steg, but the slopes are in good shape. I saw no bare patches and no stones. On the Cervinia side, it's quite firm underfoot and I saw a few shiny patches. Caught the lift down as the home run was being groomed and was closed.

We skied Gornegrat yesterday. It is in fine shape. However you can tell how much it is relying on the man made stuff by going just a few metres off piste - you soon head back for the piste. I assume they will open up more lower slopes (although not the runs into town) for next week. That will be interesting. We really could have down with at least one decent dump this month but there is nothing on the horizon.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We are coming to Cervinia tomorrow for four days, would you recommend us buying an international pass for the whole time or will there be enough skiing with a local pass and just a one day upgrade? We are intermediate happy on the piste skiers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ajn12345 wrote:
We are coming to Cervinia tomorrow for four days, would you recommend us buying an international pass for the whole time or will there be enough skiing with a local pass and just a one day upgrade? We are intermediate happy on the piste skiers.

The skiing is definitely better on the Swiss side this year - by quite some margin. I am not as certain about the Italian pricing but on the Swiss side if you are going over to Italy for even one day it is better to get an international pass rather than get a domestic pass and pay the upgrade for one day. I suspect it will be the same the Italian side.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks. I just looked and it's 40 euro more over the four days to buy an international pass or 34 euro to upgrade for the day so I think it is a no brainier for us to buy the international pass for the whole time.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks. I just looked and it's 40 euro more over the four days to buy an international pass or 34 euro to upgrade for the day so I think it is a no brainier for us to buy the international pass for the whole time.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
1 more sleep Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I know we are very excited to be leaving the British gloom behind for a few days!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well last night's snow helped a bit. It certainly made this morning's skiing good as we were making fresh tracks up on Rothorn. Even by late morning there was lots of nice chopped snow on the piste - well nice of you like skiing stuff like that (which I do). By afternoon a lot of the pistes had sheets of ice on them. I am a bit concerned about next week with the large Xmas crowds and no new significant snow forecast at present. I suspect this week is probably the better sling week even though more pistes will be open next week.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just on the return train from zermatt to Geneva. It was four days of perfect sking Wink

I suspect zermatt has the best conditions you can probably find in the alps. As long as you stay high up you should be fine. Anything below 2500 is not ideal.

Today they opened the run all the way down to the village. again it's not ideal, especially not late afternoon.

In addition its started to get very busy, As not all the runs are open and many people come to spend the Xmas holiday.
We should all pray for snow. Things can not keep going that way.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"Child" 1 and "child" 2 also returned to the UK. I think they have had the better week. As gnave says the pistes are in very good shape. But lower down and later in the day the wear and tear when we have not had a serious dump for almost a month is certainly showing. A week of Xmas holiday crowds will certainly takes its toll. It really is not that different to last year. But between Xmas and New Year we had snowmeggadon. If nothing appears (and there is nothing looming up at present) the New Year crowd this year might not have as good a time.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We are just on our way home having had a fantastic four days skiing, the pistes in both zermatt and Cervinia were in good nick, though we noticed some deterioration today as it got a lot busier. The sun shine the whole time and it was a little warm but we're not complaining as we skiied all day everyday and had a great time.
snow report
Anyone in resort for update ?
latest report
noisey wrote:

Yes. I am still here on the Swiss side - and will be until next Monday. Your view on conditions depends on whether you are a glass half full person and whether you are considering the relative or absolute position.

Conditions are not great compared to most years in Zermatt at this time (although last Xmas week was not great either). However they are a lot better than what I have read (or seen pictures of) other places in the Alps.

And yet .... I skied all day today on really good pistes - including going up high and snowing on superb condition real snow. I even managed some quite decent skiing just to the side of the pistes on Gornergrat.

Like everywhere we sure could do with some significant snow. Those artificial snow pistes are getting very icy earlier each day. But I am sure anyone out here this week with a positive frame of mind will have a great time. And one can hope that something turns up next week for the New Year crowd. It also looks like more piste are close to being ready to open for them - including the black runs.
snow report
+1
snow report
Had a lovely day skiing in Cervinia today. It was very warm and sunny but the pistes were in good condition and remarkably quiet. We stayed on the Italian side but people I spoke to in a gondola said that the Swiss side was much busier.
latest report
queuing up in Tignes
latest report
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
queuing up in Tignes

Not huge queues on the Swiss side of Zermatt/Cervinia today. There were queues at the Furggsattel lift. But that is because it takes you to the top of the lower glacier (ie the one open in Autumn and late Spring not the summer one higher up) with great 100% natural snow and excellent condition pistes right the way through the day - being fortunate enough to have been up there in November I know it was as good then however. There were large queues for the Klein Matterhorn lift. Seemed to be about 20 minutes right up 'til noon. But going up high is always popular and of course all of our Italian guests use that. I usually wouldn't bother queueing but I had set myself the task of skiing all the open pistes (on the Swiss side) today and my OCD clicked in when that was the last one left. Bit sad that I can do all the open pistes in one day at this time of year.
ski holidays
Went across Cervinia and into Valtournenche today for the first time this winter. Bloody hell conditions are bad over there - way, way worse (in my opinion) than Cervinia which actually is not too bad.

It seemed that every piste was simply a sheet of ice. And not a smooth one necessarily- loads of bumps and ruts where the piste bashers had been trying to make the best of a bad job. Skiing down from Salette to Valtounenche base station was amusing though - nice white piste and not a drop of snow either side as far as the eye could see. Fairly quiet as well - I imagine even people staying in Valtournenche would simply be using the lifts to hop over into Cervinia given that most people staying in town would get the pass that covered Cervinia as well as Valtournenche.
ski holidays
@JohnMo, did I meet you going up the Valtourneche gondola at about 3 this afternoon? I was with another guy grabbing one last lap of the base station run before heading for the bus back to Champoluc. Agree that the top run at Valtourneche was fairly icy but the home run was a blast. The Pistes elsewhere in Cevinia seemed excellent today, much the same as they were two days ago. Cannons were on all day on the run down into town so it had plenty fresh. I'm still amazed at how quiet the whole area was, no queuing and often empty pistes.
snow report
My wife braving the masses on the Ventina run at noon today.

ski holidays
Err, anyone know how to turn a photo around?
ski holidays
Valkyrie wrote:
@JohnMo, did I meet you going up the Valtourneche gondola at about 3 this afternoon? I was with another guy grabbing one last lap of the base station run before heading for the bus back to Champoluc. Agree that the top run at Valtourneche was fairly icy but the home run was a blast. The Pistes elsewhere in Cevinia seemed excellent today, much the same as they were two days ago. Cannons were on all day on the run down into town so it had plenty fresh. I'm still amazed at how quiet the whole area was, no queuing and often empty pistes.

Not me. By 3 I might even have been back skiing Swiss snow. But at the least I would have been in Cervinia.

Aye, the home run was canny. But usually I go over there for the runs from the top to Salette and the nice deep powder either side (didn't expect that today obviously!). Of course there are always upsides - I could just walk into the restaurant at Salette that I like and get myself a lasagne and a cheeky Italian red. Life really is hell out in the Alps at present.

Interesting that you got on the Ventina so easily. When I got to the cable car at Laghi Cime Biancge to go up there, there seemed to be a queue so I just skied on down instead. Less dramatic than my crossing this morning mind. I got the first lift up to Trockener Steg only to be told that skiers were not being allowed up to Klein Matterhorn as a crevasse had opened up in the glacier near to one of the pistes up there. Coming over on the T bar I thInk it was one near piste 81 (the short one that links the summer ski area to the runs down to Trockener Steg. They reopened the area later. I think i could see the piste having been redirected further away from the crevasse. Either that or they simply reckoned they could afford to lose a few tourists.
ski holidays
JohnMo wrote:
noisey wrote:

Yes. I am still here on the Swiss side - and will be until next Monday. Your view on conditions depends on whether you are a glass half full person and whether you are considering the relative or absolute position.

Conditions are not great compared to most years in Zermatt at this time (although last Xmas week was not great....uns.

Thanks.
We were caught out with last years PDS closure, where we visited zurmatt and Verbier, so with the repeat this year we were thinking of jumping sticks to go to cervinia, (Zermatt just seem to be one big money pit, having spent easter at cervinia we had a good idea what could await us..)as I found a hotel at a reasonable price ....on a recce we saw verbier was 6 to 7 degrees colder than Champery, even in the valley, so we diverted to find a dusting at the lower cabin....
So we have been comuting to Verbier....no real ice in the main areas, just snow cannon ice balls early on...
Maybe we will book Cervinia next year...
snow conditions
Can you not ski back to champoluc from cervinia ..... Sure we did (with guide but straight forward) last year ...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PBJ, you can if there's snow, but below glacier height the only snow deep enough to ski on is man made and on the pistes.
snow report
In Cervinia. Skied over to Zero at today. Haven't skied for 10 years so I can't really comment on how the conditions compare to previous years. We're now skiing with young children and skiing has been fab. Could have done with a couple more blue runs open but it's been brilliant. Really warm and crowd free. No queues for lifts and everyone really friendly. Last day tomorrow but we will definitely be back!
ski holidays
Although it has been open for a week I only today skied down the new piste 3 (Howette) which follows on from piste 1 (untere national) leading down from Patrullarve to Sunnegga. I had been warned by others about it. It is truly awful.

I skied down it this morning and thought "ooh dear, that is a bit tight and steep". But it was no problem as there was no-one else around. The evening home run was something else. Remember this is transfer day so most people on the slopes were Swiss and rather good skiers. I am not a bad skier and have no trouble with blacks, itineraries etc. But everyone just had to slide down it sideways. There were so many people on it, all either sliding or lieing where they had fallen. It was just miles too dangerous to try to skit through/over all the people there. One or two did try to ski it but they were putting others at risk. Utter madness by the lift company. And they have it classified as a red! I guess that is because the old home run was a red and they don't want a black as the home run.

They are going to have to do something. It will be awful tomorrow evening when all the New Year week holiday crowd are trying to get down it.
ski holidays
Well that is me done in Zermatt for this break. Back to the UK tomorrow. Back in Zermatt again on 21 January. I hope to see a lot more (natural) snow then.

I think anyone coming out is going to enjoy themselves on the pistes. The lift company has done a great job keeping them in good condition and a large proportion of the pistes (other than the black runs) are open – as is a good proportion of Cervinia (and Valtournence). A lot of the closed stuff (including the two best blacks) are being worked on so you might even have more to ski in the next couple of days. Anyone wanting to go off piste is of course going to be disappointed – there is almost nothing to be had and even what you can access is likely to lead to lots of scratching over rocks. Even on piste the skiing is a lot better in the morning. It can get quite icy in the afternoon. The exception is the stuff up on the glacier (including the runs down from Furgsattel to Trockener Steg) that are in great shape all day. Up on the Klein Matterhorn glacier they even have the summer skiing T bars working! Rather telling.

That home run down from Patrullarve to Sunnegga that I was whinging about yesterday has now been closed “until further notice”. The lift company are blaming the lack of snow but frankly the snow could be fantastic and that run would still be a terrible design for what it is meant to be doing. The piste bashers were out working on the old home run in that sector today so I would not be surprised to see that opening again.
snow report
@Valkyrie, FIFY Very Happy
ski holidays
Heading to cervinia tomorrow. Any tips? What are the pistes looking like?
snow report
Snowyjim wrote:
Heading to cervinia tomorrow. Any tips? What are the pistes looking like?

Just posted this in reply to a question on a new thread, but for ease of reference:

Quote:
I hope you enjoy Cervinia. While conditions in the Alps generally are not great due to lack of natural snow and Italy in particular is suffering the man made pistes in Cervinia and the glacier pistes up high are making for some very enjoyable times.

I assume you have a piste map (you can download one from the website). While Cervinia is generally south facing, at this time of the year the fact that it is actually facing slightly south west has a larger impact. So in the early morning you are better off on the left hand side as you look at the piste map. So get the lifts up from town to Plan Maison and then walk out of the lift station and straight on to the chair lift you can see directly in front of you. Three chair lifts takes you up to the ridge at Theodulpass. The sking from there back down to Plan Maison is very nice.

Unfortunately the lifts on the far left up from Plan Torrette are not open yet.

As the day wears on you can move further right. Take the lift up from Plan Maison (in the station block that you got to first thing) to Laghi Cime Bianche and then the big cable car up to Plateau Rosa Testa Grigia. The run (number 7, known as the Ventina) from there back into town is to die for. Just to the right I personally like run 37 – but it is served by an old open chair lift and even at the height of the sun at this time of year never fully makes it out of the shade.

If you buy a Cervinia pass you automatically get Valtournenche included (vice verse is not the case). However the pistes over in Valtournenche are very icy indeed. Most times I would definitely say it is worth going over there but I must admit I didn't particularly enjoy it when I was there a couple of days ago. In answer to someone else’s question the run from Salette down to Valtournenche is open. Arguably it is in better shape than the slopes higher up in that sector although obviously it is 100% artificial snow at present.

Do you intend to get an international pass? I think for 4 days it is only €34 extra. It is certainly worth it. Even if you just stay on Klein Matterhorn sector on the Swiss side the snow conditions are a lot better – and higher up it is natural snow that is staying in good condition all day long. The runs from Furggsattel down to Trockener Steg are in fantastic shape. It would also allow you to do the massive run from the top of Klein Matterhorn joining on to the Ventina that I described above. I prefer that to the theoretically longer Klein Matterhorn to Valtournenche run mentioned by a poster above as the latter involves stopping skiing at Colle Inferior Cime Bianche to get a short chair lift into the Valtournence bowl.

Have fun.
ski holidays
What a response, thank you! Will go for international pass. Getting to resort at around midday so I guess from your advice is hit the red 7, yes?
ski holidays
We got home on 27th. Would completely echo what John says. We had 5 full days skiing and loved it. They are doing a great job of maintaining the pistes with the snow cannons. We didn't go over to the Valtourneche area but went up to the Klein Matterhorn on Christmas Day - the blue run from Plateau Rosa to Trockener Stag was fab. It is definitely worth getting the international pass.

Agree that Number 7 is fab (once you've got down the steep bit at the top!) and the run down from Plan Maison back into the village is lovely (although it was only open for getting back in the village). Tge last little slope into the village does get busy though at the end of the afternoon.

Make sure you stop at Chalet Etoile (just above Plan Maison on Number 6). Can also recommend Al Forte - a little cafe behind Hotel Lysskamm as you come back into the village (by the Cretaz chair lift) - great for ice cream and Irish Coffee Very Happy Very Happy. Also had 2 great meals at Ymeletrob - it's near the top of the main pedestrianised street (heading away from the church / roundabout).

We had a really amazing time. Will definitely go back.
snow report
Snowyjim wrote:
What a response, thank you! Will go for international pass. Getting to resort at around midday so I guess from your advice is hit the red 7, yes?

It would be good then. It does depend on your skiing ability. As @newbie72 says above the first bit of the Ventina is pretty steep for a red (but great). However it is very wide. If you are confident in your ability, go for it; otherwise you might want a couple of runs on something like piste 6 on the first lift up from Plan Maison to get your ski legs back.
snow report
Any snow fallen in Zermatt/Cervinia recently? Puzzled
latest report
There's been a sprinkle and it's been colder up top (-15c).

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy