Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pyrenees 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
RAS - Just wanted a thread ready for the season to start!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great minds think alike Happy

The high pressure is finally receding, the first proper snowfall of the winter is just around the corner, and I've just switched to winter tyres... which can only mean that the Pyrenees winter season is finally about to start!

There's not too much news to report this year, but Baqueira has marked out a few more km of piste in the Beret area, and there are a couple of new lifts in resorts on the French side.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bought a Vallnord season pass this year as they were doing a silly buy an adult get child free deal.... So season's skiing for family of 4 for €900..... Waiting for kids to finish school on 11th and some snow to fall....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Pyremaniac, Not convinced that the snow is going to arrive this weekend, just looked at meteo on skipass and they are saying limit for snow at 950 m tomorrow at Gourette and about 35cm of snow. Just been out in the garden and checked the thermometer and its 17°C right now (10pm) with very warm winds! Granted i'm down the valley but I'm also tucked away in a village that doesn't usually get too much wind never mind the warm ones.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure how things are at the western end of the range, but there was snowfall in the central and eastern Pyrenees over the weekend. Baqueira hit the jackpot and received half a metre... they've confirmed their opening for this coming Saturday! Porté Puymorens and Les Angles in the French Catalan Pyrenees will (partially) join that party too. Some seriously low temperatures abound at the moment...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking alright in Vallnord.... Vids of them prepping the pistes a s threatening to announce opening date soon.....with plenty of snow forecast over next 24 hours.... Hurray!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The tiny resort La Quillane in the French Pyrenees opens tomorrow with free entrance until the weekend! Masella can't be left behind, of course, and so opens part of the ski area tomorrow too - and in fact opened for an hour or two this afternoon for the benefit of the local workers. To that we can add the partial opening of the Andorran resorts this weekend (including Arcalís, katedenhaag wink)

It's started!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
La Quillane, is that next to an air strip? If so that's a super small but brilliant spot for a days fun, we had the place pretty much to ourselves a few years back snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skinutter, that's right - 1 blue and 3 greens running down a 100m slope... but that's a free 100m for the next few days! It's very popular with families taking kids to learn there, and it's apparently open until 8pm with floodlights which means that formal ski training goes on there during the evening.

Aramon (the lift pass company for five of the seven Aragonese resorts) have announced that Formigal-Panticosa in the western Spanish Pyrenees will also be opening this weekend, along with their two smaller resorts in Teruel (near Valencia)... people outside of Spain tend not to be aware that it's one of the most mountainous countries in Europe and has ski resorts (albeit usually small ones) dotted around all over the place! Not to mention Sierra Nevada which is an important resort on a European scale - and one of the highest - which offers a truly unique experience with great views of the south coast and over to Africa, plus Granada (Spain's capital of tapas) at the foot of the hill.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very wet day in the hautes Pyrenees today. Snow falling in significant quantities above 1500m. Both cauterets and luz ardiden will open this weekend followed by grand tourmelet next Saturday for the long Spanish weekend. Conditions look good for the rest of the week with possible snowfall for Saturday and temperatures not too warm. Here's to a good start to winter 2015/16!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gourette and La Pierre St Martin have just knocked opening back the following weekend, awaiting more favourable snow conditions, in fairness the amount of rain falling down in the valley I think they may have problems with too much!!!! Formigal is opening this weekend though, just not sure whether the Col de Portalet will be passable or not.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes I think the same, it's been none stop rain here today. Perhaps not much open this weekend!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arcalis had 50cms of fresh snow... And opening Saturday. Two weeks and counting snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The start to the 2015/16 season has certainly gone well for both Baqueira Beret 40/80cm (138 runs open) and Peyragudes 25/75cm that is open this weekend and next weekend before their full opening on the 19th of December.

Superbagneres has a lot of snow higher up but the lower slopes were affected by last weeks rain resulting in a delay of their opening until the 12th of December. The upside of delaying the opening is that the new TSD6 "Cecire Express" will be ready for the opening.

Current weather is blue skies and mild, however there is an inversion effect in place meaning that the valley floors are freezing over night and remaining cool in the shade during the day.

With luck the cooler weather will return later next week - fingers crossed.
ski holidays
Latest update from the central Pyrenees - 10/12/15:

Mild weather has been the dominating feature this last week and with no real cooler weather on the way the lower slopes at all resorts are beginning to suffer.

Luchon-Superbagneres has decided to delay opening until the 19th as the lower slopes are in a poor state, though there are well pisted runs higher up.

Peyragudes is currently closed as scheduled following the Spanish holidays. They will open again this coming weekend and have a good number of runs open on well groomed but hard packed pistes.

Baqueira Beret has been very busy during the Spanish holidays, and has 126 runs open though the lower slopes into Baqueira are becoming patchy.

Cooler weather is certainly needed to enable the canons to run, which seems to be the same problem across most European resorts.

Still two weeks until the main holidays start - a lot can happen.
snow conditions
Freezing levels to rise to 3500m next week going by snow-forecast, not looking good at the moment.
snow conditions
Good days skiing today in Arcalis... Snow over back on La Coma runs pretty decent... Runs on front a lot more patchy. Although, all of the above true on a v quiet weekend... They will need more snow before Xmas peak...
latest report
As across all of Europe the mild weather has continued. Though the Pyrenees has still remained a place where good skiing is available. Baqueira Beret remains in great shape, thought the runs to Baqueira itself should be missed, but with tons of skiing above 1800 metres the pistes though thin are delivering good skiing on over 100 pistes.

In the central French Pyrenees there is still a lot of good skiing at Peyragudes, though again the lower runs are thin.

Superbagneres still remains virtually closed, however the forecast for next week is looking more promising.

Happy Christmas from the Pyrenees - let the snow gods look down on us favourably soon Happy
latest report
Hopefully a change is coming http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Pas-de-la-Casa/6day/mid
ski holidays
We're skiing at Arcalis again this week...piste conditions pretty good considering no snow and warm... Few pebbly bits and slippy patches but enough to entertain one... And the holiday hordes don't seem to have bothered so it is a bit busier than a couple of weeks ago but certainly not crammed. Snow forecast for tomorrow seems to have gone back to a slight sprinkle here Sad
snow report
How's things looking in Grandvaliria? Must be a long time since the last dump of snow now...
snow report
5 weeks since the last snowfall in the Pyrenees. But as it happens, I had to nip up to Andorra the day before yesterday, and I gave in to the temptation of seeing how the snow was holding up. It was pretty borderline in most parts of Grandvalira (though in fact there's snow on the ground in many parts of the mountain; it's nothing like the white slithers in the photos we keep seeing in the press), but there was still some reasonable skiing to be had. The snow was by far the best on the north-facing parts of Soldeu, and the reds that go straight down to the gondola were very enjoyable and bizarrely completely empty - yet there were hordes of people in much poorer parts of the resort, what with it being holiday time. I guess people preferred to be in the sun than have the better snow.

The great news is that the obstinate high pressure cycle is finally going to be pushed south over the next few days, making way for some decent snowfall. By the 7th, we'll probably have forgotten what all the fuss was about, both here and in the Alps.
snow report
Pyremaniac wrote:
5 weeks since the last snowfall in the Pyrenees. But as it happens, I had to nip up to Andorra the day before yesterday, and I gave in to the temptation of seeing how the snow was holding up. It was pretty borderline in most parts of Grandvalira (though in fact there's snow on the ground in many parts of the mountain; it's nothing like the white slithers in the photos we keep seeing in the press), but there was still some reasonable skiing to be had. The snow was by far the best on the north-facing parts of Soldeu, and the reds that go straight down to the gondola were very enjoyable and bizarrely completely empty - yet there were hordes of people in much poorer parts of the resort, what with it being holiday time. I guess people preferred to be in the sun than have the better snow.

The great news is that the obstinate high pressure cycle is finally going to be pushed south over the next few days, making way for some decent snowfall. By the 7th, we'll probably have forgotten what all the fuss was about, both here and in the Alps.

Yep, certainly marginal on the lower slopes in Peyragudes however the snow cover above 2000m is very good indeed. Looking forward to fresh snow over the next few days however the freezing level will be up and down with rain at times lower down then snow - all very bizarre as normally we are constantly freezing by now.

Baqueira tomorrow - and it will be snowing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Took our guests to Baqueira today, we beat the early morning queus and managed to hit empty slopes at Beret for the start of the day. Much cooler with about 3cm of fresh on the pistes and the cannons running full tilt.

The bonus was unexpected sun, and generally conditions at Beret were very good. Heading towards Baqueira it was not so good, lots of little stones on the piste even higher up (I have experienced this a few times before) and the connecting short reds leading towards Bonaigua were pretty poor.

Heavy snow for a short while in the afternoon with temperatures at the summit touching -4 degrees.

Generally very good indeed - though as with most places more snow would be welcome.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
I'll be in the Hautes pyrénées on the 18th for a week. I usually ski tourmalet but was hoping to go further afield this year and make the most if having a hire car. Noticing that la Pierre Saint Martin got a blanket today and the snowmaking has been switched on. Formigal over the boarder appears to look ok. I really wanted to try Gavarnie, let's hope it gets colder! I'll be heading here from a week in the Alps. I may take some walking equipment just in case and do some hiking if the snow doesn't persist. I really hope it does though! Snow dancing all the way!! Very Happy
latest report
How is the snow looking in Andorra? ?Lots forecast for next week, I'm hoping to go next Friday for a few days...
latest report
@Robert821, I live in the valley that leads to Gourette, Artouste (and then over the border to Formigal), pm me before you head down and I'll try and give you an idea of what the locals stations are like.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any news from anyone in resort? From the webcams early this morning it looked like Soldeu had a dusting overnight, and it looks like it is currently snowing as we speak.
latest report
Looking at the webcams from Grandvalira´s app and it is snowing right now. Seems to be snowing more in the top of Soldeu/Encamp (Cortals) than in other parts (Pas de la Casa).It seems to be just a light snow right now but let´s hope it gets stronger and sticks.
snow conditions
The forecast for the week looks good, but I'm a bit worried that the forecast high winds might blow it all away

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Pas-de-la-Casa/6day/mid
snow conditions
Andorra's currently getting a dusting, and Baqueira is receiving a little more. The next few days should also be snowy, though the freezing level will yoyo a bit and I suspect that some of the precipitation will fall as rain. Hopefully all the resorts will be looking more wintery a week from now.
ski holidays
It´s dumping right now in Pas de La Casa, Grau Roig and Top of Cortals. Light Snow at mid/bottom of Soldeu and El Tarter.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Pyremaniac wrote:
Andorra's currently getting a dusting, and Baqueira is receiving a little more. The next few days should also be snowy, though the freezing level will yoyo a bit and I suspect that some of the precipitation will fall as rain. Hopefully all the resorts will be looking more wintery a week from now.

I agree with Pyremaniac, some lovely snow has fallen since yesterday and probably more to come overnight and to lower levels however there are concerns that on Thursday there will be rain up to 2500/2700 metres. An additional problem is the low laying cloud, which with air temperatures close to zero is preventing the creation of artificial snow because the humidity is too high.

Colder weather next week Happy
snow conditions
Woke to heavy snowfall in the village 700m this morning and the sound of avalanche blasting. It seems normal winter service has resumed at least for the moment. Due to warm a little tomorrow and then more cold and snow next week for the west Pyrenees.
snow report
Happy to see more snow in Andorra, off to the Vallnord region at the end of Jan and was getting distinctly twitchy!!
ski holidays
Snow snow snow in the Hautes Pyrenees! And @dixon66, Hello!

Hey M. Dixon, fancy trying to round up and bring a Pyrenees tribe up to the EOSB this end of season? We use to go every year it is great! Would be a laugh to have a full Luz crowd out playing (the West face of the Peclet is a cool off-piste route!). We are seriously thinking of going.
latest report
Soldeu is suddenly looking very wintery on the webcams after a healthy amount of snow this morning!
latest report
Webcams still showing snow in Arcalis!
latest report
A day of two halves. Overnight and this morning heavy snow in the Central Pyrenees, difficult driving conditions (though not in my Landy) were causing problems, powder on piste, poor visibility and high winds at Peyragudes. This afternoon the wind abated and the sun came out - just a pity that I was working Madeye-Smiley - the guests however are having a great time Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Milder overnight and tomorrow, then a bit mixed but hints of cooler weather returning after the weekend.

Baqueira Beret is in excellent shape, and our local station Superbagneres is finally beginning to get some slopes open.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy