Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendation for quality leather ski gloves

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
+1 for Level
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Of all the gloves I have tried, I have found that the ones that work best for me are Swany. They are great down to -25 with no liners (I haven't tried them when it has been colder 😀) and I only stop wearing them when the warm
Spring weather comes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jellylegs wrote:
My fingers got cold when the gloves were exposed to cold wind, particularly when sitting on cold chairlifts. And when they got wet they were even worse, despite using waterproofing wax. Sounds like its a bit of a lottery.

That's the problem with buying leather gloves that don't have a Gore-Tex or similar membrane in them. Only 2 or 3 Hestra models have a wind/waterproof insert, most don't, so for me they're just too much hassle with leather balm, nikwax etc.

Seems to me, Black Diamond's approach is much better - pretty much all the 'winter' gloves have a membrane and they're also all temperature rated so you know exactly how warm they're supposed to be. Takes most of the lottery out of the buying decision.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999 wrote:
Gotta say I'm surprised by every who's finding Hestra's cold. Mine are now 6 seasons old, have a hole worn through one thumb /through the outer and the liner), and still keep my hands warm.

You're still young! Wait till your arteries start getting clogged and you've only got 50% circulation wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jellylegs wrote:
Now you all tell me! .... Sounds like its a bit of a lottery.
Have any magazines done a glove test? My fingers got cold when the gloves were exposed to cold wind, particularly when sitting on cold chairlifts. And when they got wet they were even worse, despite using waterproofing wax.

I think that you got it spot on there. It is a lottery, both between similar-looking and constructed gloves and between different individuals' hands, activities and requirements.

I'm sure that many tests have been done: but do you believe them and do they apply to you???

I agree with you and find that any leather gloves, once having any wet inside or out, get cold on lifts and when exposed to wind. Personally, I'm not a fan of leather for that reason (although it's just cost me a fair bit to confirm that again!) and I generally prefer, as someone above said, some cheapy nylon/polyester ones with fleece lining and usually some kind of membrane. Really pe'ed off that I lost my favourite many-year-old pair last month in Austria, so just now busy cutting the cuffs off a £4.99 pair to sew them onto another £4.99 pair to make a pair with an extra long cuff! Advantage to me is cheapness, usually very lightweight (so you can carry several pairs in a sac and change over if damp in or out - though I've never found a pair that actually did get wet on the outside, as leather does) and usually very non-restrictive and comfy. I've had many pairs (I think mostly Decathlon's cheapest Wedze own brand, though of late they don't look quite as good as they used to be) that have had a lot of use and never torn or ripped or let me down in any way over many, many years of service for all purposes. But doubtless someone else will tell you the opposite from their own experience.

I'm a great fan of inner liner gloves. Someone mentioned Merino, but there's also silk and polyester and fleece and all kind of stuff, think and thin. I find them very warm, even when wet: in fact, I often ski only in a pair of silks, and I'm not a super-hot person, etiher. I've winter/alpine mountaineered and skied in really nasty cold conditions, snow & wind, in thin cheapy ski gloves with 2 pairs of silks underneath in and never had a complaint as long as the cuffs were long enough and draughts closed off.

I bought the Hestra Army pros because I liked the thick liner and the long cuffs, but I'm not yet convinced that they are worth the money compared to appropriately-sized cheapies with inner gloves; if I was shorter on funds then I certainly don't think that I could have justified the £100 ish cost (nor for any other make of gloves) - especially if you might lose them...

The mitten version of the Hestras was recommended by an artic survival article which I read, but the gloves are not going to be as warm simply because they're not a mitten design. But that same article also said that if you didn't want to shell out the money then for warmth then there were many army surplus options available that were just as good (is that a glove test, therefore?). I tend to agree; if it's squaddie-proof and it fits (not always good for females or small-handed men) then it's often good kit. British, Finnish, Swedish, doubtless German, Austrian, Italian... Anything designed for Arctic, cold, snow etc, etc...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
. . .mountain equipment couloir gloves . . .waterproof, breathable, warm . . .love em
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Raceplate wrote:
I bought Black Diamond Legend gloves when it was seriously cold in January: http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/ski-gloves/legend-BD801608_cfg.html#start=.

Thanks for pointing these out. I picked up a pair of claret coloured ones for Mrs C on sale for £50.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chivdog, nice one. Can't imagine there's a better ski glove anywhere in the world for £50. Cool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Raceplate wrote:
@chivdog, nice one. Can't imagine there's a better ski glove anywhere in the world for £50. Cool

Here they are if anyone else is interested: https://www.surfdome.com/black_diamond_snow_gloves_-_black_diamond_womens_legend_snow_gloves_-_merlot-220432
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy