Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Staying in Geneva and getting daily buses?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Hive mind of Snowheads...

I work really odd hours (I have a hospitality business) and I'm trying to slot in a few extra days of super cheap skiing. I want to fly to Geneva on a Sunday, ski Monday Tuesday Wednesday and come back Thursday. I've found super cheap flights, but what under pins the value aspect of this little trip is the fact I've got a mate with a flat in central Geneva who's happy to let me crash on his sofa and use his pots and pans...

So; my question is this; is there a cheap public transport option that will get me to and from Geneva and the slopes (resort is unimportant) each morning for the lifts opening and back at close of play? I know I'm looking at a couple of hours round trip but that doesn't bother me. I've found a few options on line but nothing seems to quite give the definitive answer I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance,

Luke
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep, from the central bus station. Loads of locals use it, I've used it many times, very efficient and friendly.

Buses will run to one resort usually Mon-thurs, maybe 2 on Fridays, and a few more on Saturday and Sunday (if enough demand).

Stations generally include biggest PdS resorts, La Clusaz/Le Grand Bornand, Chamonix, Flaine. Cost is about 75/80chf (though may have gone up for this winter), for the return bus and day lift pass. If you go to the final resort on the line for the day, the bus normally sits there all day, so you can leave your normal boots etc in the luggage compartment while you are off skiing (but do check first). Tickets can be bought in advance, or at the window on the day, though they have been known to run out (might not be such an issue mid-week, I'm not sure). It's generally a departure between 8am - 8.30am, you should be on the slopes by 10am, finish around 4pm for a 4.15/4.30pm departure, and back in the centre by 6pm.

This winters ski timetable doesn't seem to be up yet - when it is you'll find it here: www.gare-routiere.ch
Use the drop down box at the bottom and choose something like "Forfait Ski" or "Stations ski", then click the little check box beside it to download the pdf. You'll need to actually check at the office though to see which buses really are running each day Smile
(There is a "Stations Alpines" option at the moment - that's not it, that's just the winter timetable for standard buses to various mountain towns. The one you want will very clearly talk about, in French!, combined tickets and daily times)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah, I was about to suggest that timings might be awkward but I see that @fixx has fixed that as such. Yes, pretty easy to do, just aim for the nearer resorts (Les Gets, Morzine, Morillon, etc.)

A nice idea.

And you get to hang out in the fleshpots of Geneva.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@fixx, Thanks so much! My French is pretty appalling but I shall muddle through! Can you help me with my next question; I'm planning on going 1st week in December - I know it's all looking a bit green at the moment, but which resorts do you think will be open?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I doubt you will find much open, on a weekday, within a bus ride of Geneva, that early in the season (before the season, really). Chamonix, maybe. Bear in mind that however good the snow is, the lifts cost money to operate so resorts don't run them unless they can be sure of selling enough tickets to recoup the cost. On weekdays in early December that's unlikely.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@LukeRibs, You could catch the train from Geneva to Zermatt which will be open at that time of year, it takes about 3.5 hours though and was 55chF each way on a saver ticket via the sbb.ch site.
Could you not rent a car, stay the first and last night at your mates and then find a cheap hotel or hostel near to where the conditions are good and the slopes are open?
There'll be plenty of accommodation available that week and it shouldn't cost a lot.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@LukeRibs, ah - that's going to be tricky. Nowhere close will be open, so the local day buses won't be running. If it has to be a day trip, you could get the train to Verbier, they might have some parts of the area open, but it'll be close to 3 hours each way to and from the actual slopes.

If you really need to ski at that time of year, then staying in Tignes, Val Thorens, or Zermatt are your best options.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sanman, I did have a feeling I may be jumping the gun somewhat - such is my desire to get away ASAP!

@skichampcouk, Tips much appreciated thanks, but with 3 trips booked already for next year I need to do this on a budget tighter than a duck's bum hole, the car rental and paying for accom just tips it over the edge of affordability....

On reflection; I think I'm best postponing to January, and staying at my mate's and getting the bus to a different resort each day...

Thanks all!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I think I'm best postponing to January

That.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nothing close to Geneva will be open this early. Verbier will be open, but it's a 2-hour drive or almost 2.5 hours train journey. A train leaves from GVA around 7.30 takes you to the slopes around 10 am. Interestingly, you will be less restricted for time as the last gondola that takes you to the train is at 19.30. I've known people who did it. But it will be too much to do it three days in a row.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy