Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another are these skis suitable thread..

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, Need some advice. We are driving to Alpe D'huez this year as 1/2 term flight prices are shocking. Thought I might invest in my 1st pair of skis as I have the room to take much more stuff (roof box). My best ski year was in Austria a few years ago, granted conditions were fantastic but I felt I progressed a lot and really enjoyed the skis, so much I made a mental note of size and model (Atomic Nomad 163). Not realising there are many different Nomads..

Searching around I really like the sound of Rossignal E83, I have seen a pair at length 168cm, would this be unsuitable? Also looking at a pair of Salomon mission 10 boots as well. If not are there any makes/models my be better for me?

About me, mid 40s bloke, 5,10", 85kgs, the usual 1 week per year - 10years + skiing/snowboarding. Like to practice the carving, moguls but really prefer red runs, last year was OK on all terrains - even though the beginning of La Sarenne was a bit icy. Don't normally take lessons but my wife gave up with injury last year so me and the Daughter took the afternoons with her instructor, he led all over the mountain and off piste and that was cool.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
168 let alone 163 sounds pretty short for an all mountain like Nomads. For your size only slalom skis would be that short.

My wife who is much smaller than you (5' 5" and not large) has just got 155 Atomic Affinitys which are roughly the ladies equivalent of the Nomad series. I would think 175-180 is more the mark for your weight, With the new fashion for rockering everything the skis tend to ski shorter than they used to as well so go for longer the more rocker there is.

I may be biased, I ski 185 full camber GS style piste skis and I am about your size. If you like short skis and carving you might look at something more slalomy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't comment on the skis really (but agree 163/168 sounds short for you) but are the boot going to be your first pair?
Go to a decent boot fitter and take their advice on make/model/size. They'll look at and measure you up then try several (lots) to find the ones that fit your foot best. You can't decide what will fit any other way.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you for the replies. I will look for something longer. I was looking at that as I had been happy with that length before, but there are lots of options and I will take you're advice.
As for boots I was hoping to buy 2nd hand that had minimal usage.. trying to keep the costs down. Up to now I have rented each year and always been happy with the boots supplied.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I personally think people take the length of skis far too seriously, if your happy with a short ski and the construction can take your weight then stay short, I rented the nomads for a day last year to try them, I had them at 173 I think, I thought they where pretty good.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Rhumage, whilst short skis making turning easier (and why some people like them) they are less stable at speed and in longer turns
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think maybe the easier turn is why I felt OK on them. Especially in steeper icy conditions, whilst not really a speed demon. Time to man up..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you plan to continue skiing just one week a year it might be better to rent - and if you've been fine with rental boots, to rent them, too. You can get good discounts on renting both together and you can try some different skis, to become more sure of what you might want.

Unless you are going to drive every year ski carriage will cost money - and you'll need to pay to have them serviced, too.

163 does sound very short. I am a lot shorter and lighter than you, and an elderly woman, and one of my favourite pairs of skis (a pair of Rossignol Attraxion V I bought second hand some years ago) is 163.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For a once a year skier who likes skiing mostly red runs and isn't sure to be driving every time I would rent. No transportation, servicing or storage issues.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

As for boots I was hoping to buy 2nd hand that had minimal usage.. trying to keep the costs down. Up to now I have rented each year and always been happy with the boots supplied.

For me boots selected by a reputable boot fitter (actually two independent boot fitters recommended the same boot so I was fairly confident) is the best skiing purchase I've made. I too was happy with the rental boots I'd had before but I didn't realise what I was missing because I knew no better.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks again for the replies, appreciated. I think the future for us is driving, the daughter is now in high school so the holiday has to be 1/2 term, I can drive 4 people there for the price of 1* 1/2 term flight price. That and the wife dislikes winter flying turbulence.

I think I will go ahead with some skis and boots, I will get something around the 175-178cm range and then test at the Snowzone, if there not suitable I will resell for no loss.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Id get boots fitted, it only takes one bad rental to mess up your day/holiday. I got one pair that was so bad my leg was bruised top to bottom and my toe was numb/not right for a week. That was after 4 hours skiing beginner pizza style haha.
(beginner so knew no better mind you, to be fair never felt that bad to bruise my entire leg either)

As for ski's, personally dont see anything wrong with getting second hand ones, its good practice to maintain and service, just make sure they have good edges. Plus i think it looks cool waxing your own ski's in your garage before hand giving you extra holiday excitement.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Why @kitenski would shorter skis be less stable at speed?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
I think the future for us is driving, the daughter is now in high school so the holiday has to be 1/2 term, I can drive 4 people there for the price of 1* 1/2 term flight price.

Make sure you factor in the extra costs and hassles. Need a winterized car, crossing, fuel, tolls, potentially a stopover plus you need to enjoy or be OK doing the long drive. We like it but not everybody does. Driving out a half term would require a bit of extra planning/patience.

Quote:
I think I will go ahead with some skis and boots, I will get something around the 175-178cm range and then test at the Snowzone, if there not suitable I will resell for no loss.

There may be a loss due to postage or transportation costs, and the fact they've gone through another set of hands. Also if you buy them in a serviced state and use them, you may get less money selling or have the cost to re-service.

The other thing regardless of driving or not is the servicing cost. You can DIY but that brings in another set of costs.

All that said, I've bought second hand pairs of ski's and been perfectly happy with them. But you've got to know what you are doing. You can get some real "out of date" ski's or ex-rentals or simply used and abused gear.

Boots personally I wouldn't buy second hand.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi@kenloen,

I'm selling my 2013 Atomic Nomad Blackeye (not Ti) in 174 length. I'm similar dimensions to yourself and have skied these for 7 weeks, having owned them from new. They are currently being serviced by a well known Snowhead who has forced me to buy some Whitedots! PM me if interested.
snow conditions
@kenloen, I'd strongly agree with comments above about driving at half term. It's not straightforward, because of the guaranteed very high traffic - even without snow in the equation. Ski holidays don't have to be at half term. Christmas is much cheaper and quieter, as is Easter.
Quote:

They are currently being serviced by a well known Snowhead who has forced me to buy some Whitedots!

Laughing
snow report
pm sent.

We have to give it a shot, that or miss out due to airlines ripping off parents stuck to school holidays.... Tunnel booked for Friday afternoon, will do a overnight hotel. We return late Sat so will leave resort late Friday and split the return journey. All part of the adventure.. Car is 4wd SUV with snow tyres fitted, just need some chains.

can't do Xmas/New Year due to families and work.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy