Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The most useful item to have in your rucksack on the slopes...

Poster: A snowHead
After many years of skiing on the slopes with a rucksack, I've now concluded the most useful item to have in your rucksack is….

…a small, foldable rucksack to give to your friends when they ask you to carry their things in your rucksack.

Very handy indeed, I can tell you snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@PeDaSp, +1 Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Amen!

Rucksacks cause the most faffing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Those fold up rucksacks are fantastic. I went to the Alps in June hand luggage only. Packed one and it was perfect for hiking in the mountains for carrying, water, food, hat, top, sun cream, etc
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Plus 2 Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chocolate.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Beaufort sandwiches and a bottle of beer. In spring......
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Surely a camel back as it has a greater volume than the hip flask...... Toofy Grin

I also like to carry my selfie stick, drone, mirror and harness... Oh no wait, I wear my harness just in case i happen to come across a dangerous cliff face in the middle of a marked green run Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A big stack of cash usually comes in handy.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A gun.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Smile +1
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does this alsow apply to wife and daughter? Or should I forget about that small foldable rucksack? Puzzled Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hyst, wife and daughter should carry their own stuff. Twisted Evil You were complaining on another thread about being just there to provide the money. But now you're confessing to also being the load carrier?? wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hyst wrote:
Does this alsow apply to wife and daughter? Or should I forget about that small foldable rucksack? Puzzled Shocked
yes! They should be I charge of their own stuff in the first place! Buy them rucksacks for Christmas.
snow report
Reading glasses for lunch menu!
snow report
Cable ties......er for a get me down the mountain fix for snowboard bindings. Had to use them twice in 15 years.

I know what you mean about other people asking "can I just" regarding you carrying their stuff!!
snow report
Scrumpy wrote:
Reading glasses for lunch menu!
Amen to that, I find this weather that my arms are just not long enough for to be able to see the menus.
latest report
Just occasionally you still see someone with a bum bag / fanny pack, normally a blue and orange Salomon one circa 1985. Everything seems to make a comeback so, you never know, it could be the answer to all your needs.
ski holidays
I have these strange things called pockets in my jacket and salopettes, not sure why you'd need a rucksack Wink
ski holidays
@Little Martin, +100
latest report
@Little Martin, I see your point if staying on piste. Different story if you venture off piste.
snow report
@ScaryG, indeed, but also for on piste. Water, snacks, sunglasses & hat (for lunch), spare layer, neck warmer, spare goggles/lens, gloves/liners. Makes for an uncomfortable days skiing packing your pockets out with that little lot.
latest report
Soreen
snow report
Quote:

spare layer, neck warmer, spare goggles/lens, gloves/liners

all unnecessary. These days you should have a fair idea of what the weather is likely to do and what temperature to expect, before you set out. PPPPPPP.
ski holidays
@Dr John,
Quote:

& hat (for lunch),

Little Angel Well, I will eat my hat to that.
latest report
@Pruman, You're lucky that you have precognition, for us mere mortals it's the mountains so fair idea = no idea. Stick it all in the backpack on the first day then forget about it and just grab your backpack each morning, take camelback out of the fridge and you're good to go. I also carry off-piste equipment these days, but still had a backpack before. I forgot to add a camera to the list.
snow conditions
I take a hat, buff, sunglasses, water, snack bar, and silks - these easily fit in pockets, spare layers aren't needed when you have a good natural insulation layer Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Water, snacks, sunglasses & hat (for lunch), spare layer, neck warmer, spare goggles/lens, gloves/liners

+1 @ScaryG, would only add tissues and suncream.

And @johnE, I never eat my hat for lunch unless its France and the food is too expensive wink
ski holidays
I never used to ride with a backpack, always just using my pockets etc, but started using one for taking the occasional lunch out with us. Now the amount of things we take out with us has expanded to fit the bag, like beanies for when helmets come off etc etc.

I now feel a bit awkward without a backpack, almost as if I'm overcompensating (not that the extra 1kg on my back makes much difference, I'm sure).

Back on topic, however, the key things always found in my bag are: Carambar Fruits, a bottle of water or Powerade, and a hip flask.
snow report
@Giffordpikes, Have a look at the snow and rock prices for hats http://www.snowandrock.com/hats/ski/fcp-category/list. I think you will find that they are far too expensive to actually eat - £125 for knitted bobble hat! I am glad that I have never worn one out
snow report
Quote:

I think you will find that they are far too expensive to actually eat - £125 for knitted bobble hat!

I think you'll find that's a michelin starred bobble hat. Only the Russions eat those Very Happy
ski holidays
Nah!
Ski like your free .....forget the rucksack.

How much of that stuff do you really need?
I fit the stuff in my pockets:
Sunscreen, with Lipsalve on other end.
Reading Glasses
Two Telephones, Spare Batteries
Clip Board & Pen
Rollos
Wallet
Ski Pass.
Snowheads neckerchief.

I must admit, carrying a hat is a bit of a chore now that we all use helmets, but we need something to keep the sun out of our eyes and off our bald patches.

I used to have a ski buddy who wore quite a big bum bag, which had everything in it.
Our instructor was most impressed when his bindings broke in an off piste lesson, and my mate was able to pull out just about a whole tool box from his bag.
ski holidays
Someone wrote:
These days you should have a fair idea of what the weather is likely to do and what temperature to expect, before you set out.
Well, wish i had such a source of information.
1. Usually weather forecasts from different sites - whether resort's own or others - say different things. And none of them are right
2. The weather in the morning is rarely the same as weather in the afternoon - visibility and temperature can change drastically.
So to be prepared for all outcomes you need a backpack for lots of stuff. Those without have to deal with Wrong Sunglasses, No Goggles, Being Too Hot, Being Too Cold, Cold Hands, Wet Gloves, Hypochocolataemia, Toffee Vodka Deficiency, and many more equally nasty ailments.
ski holidays
I didn't need a backpack (except for off piste kit) until I started skiing with my kids.

Now it's full of sweets (if you give them to the kids they are finished before you get to the slopes).
Spare gloves 'cos making snowballs makes you wet and cold, and some for me 'cos I get hot & sweaty.
Silks (see above)
Extra layers (3 sets) 'cos I won't get cold Daddy.
Camera, spare battery, extra memory card 'cos you've got to show the Grannies nice pictures when you get back.
First aid kit for when they stab each other at lunch.
Hat for lunch.
Reading glasses for lunch menu.
etc. etc.

As ricfrench said, it's no wonder I've got a bad back.
snow conditions
Pruman wrote:
These days you should have a fair idea of what the weather is likely to do and what temperature to expect, before you set out.

Which is exactly why you NEED a backpack...for spring skiing. Gives you somewhere to put the fleece while the sun's up and it's t-shirt time. Becomes fleece time very quickely when that sun drops behind the mountain though!
ski holidays
Little Martin wrote:
I have these strange things called pockets in my jacket and salopettes, not sure why you'd need a rucksack Wink

1.5l bottle of water is hard to fit in a pocket Wink That's pretty much the only reason I have a bag, because big fat lad needs a drink regularly and it's easier to carry one than to stop all the time. And as I've got the bag then an extra layer, spare gloves, goggles & buff, plus some snacks usually make their way in too. Could fit most of that in pockets (or leave behind) but as I've got the bag for the water anyway it seems I may as well take it all with me.
snow conditions
I use my pockets , spare layers I don't need. I have a good jacket and if anything I tend to be too warm , even in early season skiing. I have a deep pocket that can keep a 500ml bottle of water, and I stop off for beer breaks. Might wear a knapsac this year though kids will be with us all day,so will want snacks. rolling eyes
snow report
I have never skied (except off piste) with a rucksack. To be honest I have no idea what to put in it. So I would probably stuff some stuff in just to make it look useful. When I go out for the day I quickly assess how cold it is going to be - and it doesn't alter that much through the day - and dress accordingly. If it gets warmer I open zips and take my hat off and stuff it in a pocket. If it gets colder I do up all fastenings. I have a good drink at breakfast (at least 3 mugs of tea) and again at lunch time with the water supplied with the meal. I have never felt thirsty during the day. If I did then I would stop for a drink. Into my pockets I stuff my glasses, wallet, mobile phone and hanky. I might or might not take sunglasses with me. I usually have at least two empty pockets.
snow report
As an interesting point when I was young and again when my son was young we never had snacks or sweets between meals. Eating between meals was frowned upon, we just went from breakfast to dinner, to tea. Why would I want to carry snacks for myself or child?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy