Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sports direct helmets - how exact are the sizes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is probably are very silly question but we are first timers for buying helmets so here we go...

My sons head is 52.4cm. The helmets that he likes on the sports direct and the decathlon sites come in sizes 48-52cm and 53-56cm. I have no clue which we should go for.

I know we really should go to a shop and try them on but there is no decathlon in cardiff (or anywhere near) and I can't seem to find any info on which sports direct stores have helmets in stock (I am tempted to trawl a few local ones to see).

Any advice? X
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Always worth actually trying the helmet on before buying, not just for size but to see how well your goggles fit with the helmet as well.If you don't do this the helmet could push the goggles down your nose or there could be a gap between them.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@breeze11, Google: "how to choose the right ski helmet" and you will see some great advice. Then I would email the manufactures/distributors direct (of the helmets your son likes), and ask their advice as to the best size for your son.

Your best bet is to go for a helmet that has an adjustable size knob at the rear. This tightens or loosens the inner lining that holds the helmet on to your head.

Lastly, most of the online retailers have a good returns policy. So if the helmet was too small for instance, you could return it, and ask for the next size up. So keep all the packaging, and use a service like www.parcel2go.com to collect and return the helmet at a good price.

Lastly, @sequoiaboard, gives excellent advice. If you can, buy your helmet and goggles from the same brand, and check they are compatible with each other. Modern helmets & goggles are designed to fit together snuggly, and have clever vents at the top front of the helmet to channel air down to the goggles to stop fogging.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sequoiaboard is right find some and try them on, one make of a given size may be a perfect fit a different make be true to size but the most uncomfortable thing ever!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As others have said, for a truly decent fit it's best to try them on, it's not just about circumference but also shape. I know this because I've been caught out by it and got a helmet that should fit in theory but the actual shape made it a but awkward.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A helmet that is too tight is a real pain in more ways than one, and I wouldn't buy one without trying it on. As @PeDaSp notes adjustable is best.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you all! I'll get on a hunt to find a sports direct with them in stock. I know you are right about trying them. X
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You'd probably find you'll get a better fit with a helmet that you can adjust the size of, something like the Anon rime, Bern Bandito or Scott apic a good bet, also it would 'grow with him' so you'll get a few more years out of it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy