Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots limited ankle dorsiflexion

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Following an ankle fracture three years ago I have very limited dorsiflexion in my left ankle, I have skied to varying degrees of success since then. I had surgery last year but this doesn't appear to have been very successful. I had a pair of Lange XT 130's fitted last year at Solutions 4 Feet by CEM before my surgery somewhat optimistically, the problem is that when my ankle 'bottoms out' it is painful and swells up which ruined my last ski trip and I can't see myself skiing without major issues with this setup and my ankle in this state. There are heel raises on the boot but I think the boot is too soft for the ankle as it is. I think I have two options to be able to ski properly again:

1. Get fitted for a pair of extremely stiff race boots with a heel lift that contain my ankle flex ion within the safe range.
2. Get fitted for Daleboots St which is apparently fairly stiff but the customisable nature will allow me to have a significant raise in the heel.

I'm 37 and have skied regularly since I was 5 (including a couple of seasons in my 20's) I ski fairly fast and mostly off piste when my ankle allows!

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jeromesk, welcome to snowHeads. Have you asked CEM what he can do with your existing boots?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Should be possible to stiffen the boot and/or limit range of flex with some judiciously placed bolts and t-nuts, but I don't think it is a very exact science.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@holidayloverxx,

You can not really stiffen a ski boot, only soften the flex.

@jeromesk,

But holidayloverxx, is right re speaking to CEM. Full blown race boots are not necessarily the best route. Besides being very stiff they are extremely close/tight fitting they are inherently harder to get on and off.
I can get my Rossi with a 120 flex ( soft race boots ) on and off very easily but my Head Raptors at 150 flex I need to get the hairdryer out to take them off they are that stiff. I have to over the first hour or two progressively tighten them up ( very slight adjustment ) as to get them perfect right off causes a couple of pressure spots ( just about slows circulation enough to cause a bit of pins and needles and or toes slowly feel the cold) I akin it to my foot moulding to the boot it takes a few hours. After that they are great, well till the time comes to take them off.
So you really need to speak face to face with an expert or it could be a very costly and potentially painful mistake.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@speed098, not suggesting you can stiffen the boot; @jeromesk is assuming the boot is too soft - it might not be
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@jeromesk, a power strap could stiffen the boot, however if the range of movement in the boot exceeds the rom of your ankle you might still have a problem. I understand this can be addressed but is a job for an expert. CEM!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all, thanks for your replies. Apologies for not commenting, I was locked out due to an old email...

I plan to contact CEM this week but wanted to do a little research first!

I fear the issue is that as this a hike mode boot and the cuff is not riveted to the lower shell it is somewhat softer than a fixed cuff 130 flex boot and as such was probably not the right boot for me.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If it is any comfort, I had a similar ankle issue about 15yrs ago. The range of motion hasn't increased over the years but the pain has gone away. It just stiffens up without pain now. jacking the shin clips up as tight as possible (much tighter than a fitter reccommends) helped me in the early days
Forward lean might be important. If you start from a more upright stance you have more travel available, are your boots adjustable for lean?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would talk directly to CEM. I would not assume it is the stiffness of the boot. You may have more forward lean in the cuff than you have range of motion in the ankle. If that is the case then making the boot more upright could be the way to go. That's a cuff stretch.

I would suggest not using "the guys on Snowheads reckon that..." as your conversation opener. I know a little about bootfitting based on dealing with my niche biomechanical problems but have no real knowledge. He knows what he's doing and tends to stand behind his product.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have booked an appointment with CEM in a couple of weeks and I will of course be following his advice.

Just to be clear I am in no way complaining about the fitting I had last year, I requested a hike mode boot and reassured CEM that I would have a greater ROM following surgery.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just skiied for 15 days in Canada in US 3 nonths after surgey for ankle fracture dislocation.
My dorsiflexion is reduced ,but my reduced plantar flexion made my boots with 2 buckles above the ankle impossible to wear as I could not get around the curve of the boot. My own boots have a heel raise but that made the boots too tight on the injured side.
The first week I hired a short boot and used my own custom foot beds, not enough performance but could ski with anti inflammatories and panadol. The best tip I have is to ski with a jobst flight stocking instead of a ski sock on the injured leg. It made an incredible difference. ( 2 pairs meant 4 wears so not to much expense and washing} The second week I hired a dalbello boot, one buckle above but the tongue came forward a long way and was much higher and more supportive. Back on the black runs in those ones and able to ski a full day.
I noticed you could buy custom inserts that could be heat fitted to front of the ankle, not sure if that might help if you have to go up a size to fit the swollen ankle.
The only oher suggestion is to see if you can get bindings mounted with a heal raise to get your weight forward.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jeromesk, I have a very similar problem. A severe ankle fracture reduced my ability to lean my shin forward, this is due to a callous on the fracture impinging movement. Very good custom foot beds helped a bit but I solved the problem by putting 4mm heel lifts between the boot shell and liners. I bought a set of these and experimented until I found the best thickness for me.
http://www.parkstreetchiropractic.co.uk/shop/cork-heel-lifts.htm
Fortunately my boots had enough room to accommodate the extra volume.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For anyone with this issue:
You simply need to do everything you can (within that which your surgeon and physio would advise) to increase your dorsiflexion.

From frequent, varied, and strong stretching, to wearing an overnight plantar fasciitis splint, to (if possible) strengthening exercises (perhaps with use of machines) to target muscles which will aid the increase of dorsiflexion, to massaging the ankle and the area of injury (seek instruction)

After severing 2 tendons, 1 ligament and having loads of bone and cartilage disappear 4 years ago in my ankle, and surgery 3 years ago, I have struggled with reduced dorsiflexion as well.

But using the above and being persistent I have slowly and steadily increased my ankle's range (doesn't mean the ankle is pain free or completely fixed. It's something I'll have to actively maintain for the rest of my life.
But if that's what I have to do to allow me to ski like the madman I am, then so bleedin be it.

Note:
If you require further surgery (perhaps our first repair was too aggressive and tight) the ankle will still apply... Post 2nd op and possible post 1st op so that you don't seize up
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello!

You are certainly on the right track to being able to shred! Lange does now offer the pro model XT 3 140. You also have the option to stiffen up your current boots, look up Pulse Boot Lab out of Revelstoke. They design stims that go on the outside of your shell that stiffens up your boot and it is very easy to install. You can still tour with it and it looks cool haha.

If you don't already have booster straps, go ahead and splurge for some. If you connect it to the inside of your spine, allowing it to strap only to your liner, this will ensure maximum power transfer time out the spine of your boot. I am guessing your ankle maybe has 2 or 3 degrees of comfortable range of motion where you can enjoy rippin turns. Ensuring you get the most out of those degrees is imperative!

About inserting a heel lift, Remember to put it in BOTH of your boots. Even if your other ankle has a better range of motion we need to ensure we match the needs of the stiffer ankle. Also, make sure you are not skiing with the liner attachment on the back that gives you more forward lean. The purpose of the heel lift is to decrease the forward lean of your foot inside the boot. You wanna be standing up a little straighter to be closer to your ankles comfortable range of motion.

Hope this helps!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@salario.skis, As the previous post was nearly 7 years ago I assume the original poster’s issues have moved on one way or another?

For anyone else picking up on this, I have severely limited dorsiflexion in one ankle due to bone callous from a nasty fracture impeding the joint movement. What worked very well for me was getting an aggressive heel lift, half an inch for me, then getting a boot fitted ( thanks Rivington Alpine) that had enough instep space to accommodate the exta height. This enabled me to get my shin forward when needed to pressure the front of the boot. This is much more effective than the original much smaller lift I referred to in my much older post above. Simply having a stiffer boot with limited movement would not have helped nearly as much. I have never felt the need to have a heel lift beneath my good ankle, but my broken leg is half an inch shorter than the good one
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy