Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort ideas for a mixed group (skiers and non)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
W are planning a week with kids 5yrs and 9yrs who have not skied before, and my parents who no longer ski but would like walking paths and a pool if poss. Hubby and I are good intermediate skiers.

To make it even more complex my parents will probably want to drive, so further away resorts are less attractive. I was thinking France but am not user if they have any walking? I know Switzerland is good for walking but my parents say it is really expensive now.

Any thoughts anyone?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pretty well all resorts will have walking paths, which are piste-bashed and decent ones will also have tracks for snowshoe walks. snowshoes are cheap to rent and will strap on to any normal stout walking boots. Gaiters are also useful to keep the snow out. Walking poles are helpful for balance - even on icy pavements, the most dangerous environnment in many resorts.

Many resorts have pools, too.

When are you thinking of going? French resorts will be very busy from 7 February for 4 weeks (French school holidays).

Have your parents definitely given up skiing? In a gentle environment they might enjoy having another go! Or if they are fit, they could take some cross-country ski lessons.

Les Saisies ticks all those boxes but (like other French resorts) I wouldn't recommend it in the French school hols - too many lift queues and parking is a pain!

Are you planning for the kids to have a couple of lessons in an indoor ski slope in the UK? They'll get on much faster on the real stuff if they've got used to the equipment and had a go at the snowplough.

Are you thinking of doing a package trip or putting the elements together DIY? Self catering or hotel? Budget?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We will go in term time (shhh, don't tell the teacher!). We just can't afford school hols. Was thinking early March so not so cold.
Parents really have given up skiing now. But are keen walkers, so good options there are important.

We will do a diy trip probably as my parents prefer self catering so it will be easier to do that. No set budget yet, but trying to keep it sensible rather than stupid!

Definitely booking the kids in my lessons indoors before we go too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snail1973, if it's France, make it the second or third week in March. An excellent time to go.

You really are spoilt for choice, there are loads of resorts which tick your boxes. A 5 and 9 year old would generally be in separate group lessons with French ski schools. Or for two kids, private lessons can be a reasonably economical option in smaller resorts - though they are generally at lunch time. Depends how much time you are prepared to spend pottering with the kids as opposed to skiing yourselves.

One easy-to-get-to French resort which might be worth looking at is La Clusaz.

If your parents have a car then really they are going to be able to find good walking just about anywhere.

Les Gets is a good place too (out of school hols) but I don't think it has a public pool. Morzine's not far though.

Alternatively, the upmarket self catering places frequently have their own pools these days. If you look at the Peak Retreats website they have a good number which would fit the bill and are a good firm to work with.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Where are you going from in the UK? If its a DIY trip don't rule out ferries from Harwich Hull Newcastle etc
Austria is driveable and Ellmau would fit the bill for you with the Kaiserbad leisure centre
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We are in the south. My folks don't mind an overnight stop on the way though. They would probably go Dover to Calais. Is Austria possible with an overnight?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snail1973, easily doable as it is almost door to door motorway. A vignette for all the Austrian motorways for 10 days will cost you less than a couple of sections of the Calais to Paris section! Currently 8.70 euro, next year I believe it will be a huge increase of 10 whole cents to 8.80 Euro. I have an annual one which is also going up but not by much (85.70 instead of 84.40). Both my sister and I drive from the Channel (we always cross to/from Dunkirk) on our own in one hit - she does it in summer, I do it when I'm forced to! wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah ok, this opens a new avenue. Thanks. I had thought we were restricted to France. I think there are lots of good walking resorts in Austria (someone once told me so anyway)

Kids are beginners so can probably learn anywhere, although I do need to look into English speaking lessons. I know from personal experience that esf lessons don't always include any instructions in English even if the instructor can speak English.

Thanks for your help
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snail1973, with an overnight stop you can get just about anywhere in the Alps including lots of lovely places in Italy. Hard to beat the Dolomites for stunning scenery to walk amongst.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@snail1973, As Samerberg Sue said, if your parents were to drive to Austria then ferry to Dunkirk is a good option (and you often find it's a good price too!). One of the best routes to Austria is through Luxembourg, and it's worhwhile filling up there as fuel prices tend to be cheaper. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do check the European School Holidays thread though. I think many countries are having a winter break in March rather than February this year. France may be quieter.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Drammeister, Easter is at the end of March not the beginning. First 2 weeks of March is still pretty quiet all round, although maybe one of the French regions carries over into March, but that would only affect a small number of French resorts.

@snail1973, take a look at the Wagrain/Flachau/Altenmarkt area of the Salzburgerland Ski Amadé region as this lies across the A10 meaning it is pretty well motorway from the port to the accommodation. Lots of walking, huge choice of accommodation to match all pockets. The 5 year old would get a free pass, the 9 year old as well (depending on when you arrive). Lots of ski schools to choose from and masses of alternatives for anyone who does not want to ski all the time. With the lift systems it is also easy for non skiers to meet up with skiers for lunch because most of the lifts are either chairlifts or cable cars of varying sizes.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Second the Wagrain recommendation by @Samerberg Sue.

If you are wanting to go French Serre Chevalier is very nice. Plenty of walking available, other leisure activities and Briancon is a lovely town to have a wander around.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Brilliant. I'm off to look up wagrain this evening. Thanks folks.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
@snail1973, if it's France, make it the second or third week in March. An excellent time to go.

You really are spoilt for choice, there are loads of resorts which tick your boxes. A 5 and 9 year old would generally be in separate group lessons with French ski schools. Or for two kids, private lessons can be a reasonably economical option in smaller resorts - though they are generally at lunch time. Depends how much time you are prepared to spend pottering with the kids as opposed to skiing yourselves.

One easy-to-get-to French resort which might be worth looking at is La Clusaz.

If your parents have a car then really they are going to be able to find good walking just about anywhere.

Les Gets is a good place too (out of school hols) but I don't think it has a public pool. Morzine's not far though.

Alternatively, the upmarket self catering places frequently have their own pools these days. If you look at the Peak Retreats website they have a good number which would fit the bill and are a good firm to work with.

La Clusaz has a brilliant pool. Half indoor half outdoor. Nice places to drive to too such as Megeve.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy