Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What are the best snow boots

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking for some decent snow boots with a lot of grip which can stand up to deep snow and ice. I was thinking of getting some basic black work boots, will these be any good. I will need good quality boots as I am goiung to do a ski season very soon. Which boots are the best. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorels.............
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the black working boots might be slippery on icy/snowy surfaces. And not terribly warm.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends on what job you are doing/how often you are out and about in the snow. I always just use walking boots if the weather is bad enough (with some think socks underneath), or trainers the rest of the time as the resorts I've been to have always had the footpaths/roads cleared efficiently after snowfall. When snow clearing, again I either wore my walking boots or my snowboard boots (although only really because the place I cleared was nearer the lifts than my accom, so would head straight there after breakfast).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am going to be working with children so would be out and about a lot of the time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good 3 season walking boots plus normal and winter walking socks. Second footwear would be approach shoes ( like trainers but more robust ).
Then get a pair of these, they will fit both pairs of footwear.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-teeth-Ice-Snow-Shoe-Boot-Spikes-Grips-Crampons-Cleats-Chain-Anti-Slip-Hiking-/291614615686?hash=item43e595e886:g:PBgAAOSw8d9UrfiY

Check fleebay as they range in price from about £10 inc postage for copies to over £60 for Katoola microspikes.

If you will be stood around a lot with the kids then get fleece lined/thermal lined boots instead of the 3 season walking boots.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DECathlon do some winter walking boots which are a lot cheaper than Sorel....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Tdaulphi, what KenX said, Sorels. Good grips, insulated, what you'll need. And if you're fashion conscious, they do some fashionable and functional models.

Timberlands BTW, while aesthetically pleasing, are rubbish in snow and on ice.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Last year I would have agreed on Sorels - good grip and warm. But before the end of their second season the rubber split - I though that was poor for a premium product that I was wearing for an hour a day. Have invested in a puncture repair kit! There is a cheaper French version available bit I can't remember the name.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just some walking boots no need for full on winter boots, have been using my KSB eVents for years and still going strong.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway,

ShoeGoo though not cheap is far better for split soles.

I had a pair of boots that had a split from a sharp puncture tried loads of different things but last year bought shoegoo for the first time and it is still doing the job all the others gave up and let water in after a few weeks.
Comes in clear or black.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use Columbia bugaboot plus II Omni-Heat: http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/Winter-Boots-Reviews/Columbia-Bugaboot-Plus-II

They're warm, water-proof and very comfy.
There are clips provided for accepting snow-gaters if you plan on venturing into really deep snow.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Go Timberlands - grip not great but generally ok, forget Sorels, they are great in Alaska but the are hard to get off and on and your feet will boil. Timberlands work well for in and outdoors so you can cut down on taking more shoes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have some North Face boots which haven't let me down yet and I also use them for walking the dog when it's boggy. Can't remember the name but they have a full rubber looking 'shoe' with just a softer ankle boot section. After 3 years they are still warm, waterproof and decent grip.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Timberlands work well for in and outdoors so you can cut down on taking more shoes.

Not a popular move wearing outdoor shoes inside.....salt on wooden floors...eek. But Sorels all the way
Very Happy
snow report
As @chocksaway I had some Sorels and they split, which is pretty poor for such an expensive boot. I replaced them with some Hi-Tek boots which are now in their 3rd season and still as new.
latest report
If you are not in deep snow, sticking a pair of Yaktraks on ordinary boots or trainers works fine.
I have gone for cross country runs in snow and urban snow/slush wearing them. Absolutely no problems with slipping (except on sheet ice...). I

And much cheaper than new footwear.

suec
latest report
@Swissie, I have never seen a line up of outside shoes near a bar or restaurant in a ski resort - yes when you get home its quite normal to take your boots off - I can't wear my Sorels in the alps, my feet boil, moreover when do you walk around in knee deep powder, its mostly on cleared snow.
snow conditions
There is only one solution: Viking's Ice Fighter http://www.vikingfootwear.com/en/mens/thermo/icefighter

Lots of grip - Tick
Deep snow and ice - Tick
Warmer than warm - Tick
Tough as old boots - Tick
Incredibly lightweight - Tick
snow conditions
Had my Sorels for over 10 years, maybe the quality's changed? Sad if it has.......
latest report
Sometimes you just have to think a little and be sensible wink

Folks saying sorels too warm ? Just buy a different style - had these a number of years and still going strong

Great on snow and ice - its all in the compound of the sole, comfy too. You wouldn't believe the cost either Madeye-Smiley

Also have a pair of merrells - goretex mid boot that tend to get taken along too. But with these make sure you get the sole designed for snow and ice. Some are good so not so.
snow conditions
I have Gore Tex Salomon Boots. I've had them for 3 years now and they are still as good as the day I bought them. I use them in snow, casualwear and standing in a sodden park watching my son play rugby. On Sunday I stood in a puddle much deeper than I thought to unload my car and my feet stayed bone dry.

These my be expensive but if you Google you can often find last years much cheaper - http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/b52-ts-gtx-w-eur.html
snow conditions
Thanks all decided to get some snow boots from decathlon http://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-100-warm-womens-snow-boots-black-id_8316962.html
ski holidays
I'll second the suggestion for a pair of Yaktrax to put on them; they provide fantastic grip and are very easy to put on and remove (and stick on your pocket) as and when needed.
ski holidays
Still on the same set of sorel caribou I bought 10 years ago and going strong. They are the second pair I've had since the 90s. For a "in the snow boot" I wouldn't buy anything else.
latest report
From having to stand around for hours a day on the snow waiting for clients I'd second Sorels, super super hot.... but yes can be too hot so I've ended up with a range of boots depending on what part of the season it is and how long i'm going to be out in the snow.
latest report
. . .I got some Clarks Gore-tex leather boots in the post boxing day sales last year for £20 . . .very similar to http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/26109977 and a bargain reduced from over £100 . . .

Possibly a little lightweight for seasonaires but perfect apres attire and much less sweaty than TNF/Sorel type mucker boots for dad dancing, I also bought some studded ice cleats, essential for drunken walks home. . .
snow report
@Charliee, Obviously I didn't mean restaurants, bars and shops.....btw where do you wear your Sorels then/ Confused
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy