Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verona / Bolzano

Poster: A snowHead
There appears to be an airport at Bolzano but I seem to be unable to find flights from UK - are there any ? What about Verona?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@erica2004, I think you'll find that Bozen is only used for internal flights. Currently it is closed to any planes that cannot land on the grass runways as the main runway is undergoing maintenance.

http://www.bolzanoairport.it/en/airport.htm

Verona is an international one, with good links to the UK: http://www.aeroportoverona.it/en/passeggeri_t5/

It is 150kms further south, but is probably a better base for getting to the Dolomites than Bozen due to its more frequent links with the UK. Another possibility is Venice (Marco Polo) which has frequent flights to/from the UK and regular transfer services to the Dolomites.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@erica2004, you clearly weren't trying too hard:

http://www.skyscanner.ch/transport/flights/uk/vrn/160116/160123/cheapest-flights-from-united-kingdom-to-verona-international-in-january-2016.html?adults=1&children=0&infants=0&cabinclass=economy&rtn=1&preferdirects=false&outboundaltsenabled=false&inboundaltsenabled=false

One search on skyscanner brings up many options.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @Samerberg Sue, I saw Bozen was closed but couldn't seem to get any other info off the website.
@under a new name, Puzzled I searched skyscanner as it came up first on google..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My reason for asking is that we are thinking of buying an apartment in Alta Badia. We can fly to Innsbruck from Bristol in the winter months but not summer. I'm just researching the travel options.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@erica2004, Try looking at Venice then as that has all year round flights I believe, another airport that is quite good I believe is Bergamo - often sold as Milan by the likes of PikeyAir.

Salzburg and Munich are not too bad for the Dolomites either, again all year round flights and a hire car, depending on traffic maybe 3 hours or so away.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Innsbruck is another option.. (Monarch fly there)

Bolzano is a tiny airport -- I flew there twice with Inghams (before they started using Innsbruck)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flights to Bolzano from the UK involve changing to an internal flight via Rome

Driving would be quickest from Innsbruck. Easyjet still fly there during the summer months from Gatwick. Monarch do not fly there in the summer months

Verona is also a good option. Longer drive than from Innsbruck but still very straight forward up the A22 autostrada. Turn off into the Val gardena valley and cross over the gardena pass into Alta Badia. Several airlines fly summertime into Verona: BA & Easyjet

Venice, another good option to get to Alta Badia. Again seveal airlines fly summertime: BA & Easyjet
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jimmybog wrote:

Driving would be quickest from Innsbruck. Easyjet still fly there during the summer months from Gatwick.

I think only once or twice a week though. However BA normally start up in Nov and you can get some great deals (£60 return isn't unknown). If you don't mind a connecting flight it's pretty easy to fly from IBK to anywhere in the UK via Frankfurt/Amsterdam/etc with KLM and others.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

If you don't mind a connecting flight it's pretty easy to fly from IBK to anywhere in the UK via Frankfurt/Amsterdam/etc with KLM and others.

That's the problem isn't it though, when we fly, we always want the shortest possible direct flights at rock bottom prices - ain't gonna happen though. Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maybe mixing up Bologna and Bolzano (Bozen)?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Surely Venice Treviso is better than Marco Polo for the Dolomites? It's like 30 mins inland from Venice.
Direct flights from East Mids 15 miles from me for £50 rtn in February
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

That's the problem isn't it though, when we fly, we always want the shortest possible direct flights at rock bottom prices - ain't gonna happen though.

The last time I flew to Innsbruck we changed in Frankfurt. IIRC it was about an hour transfer time and very conveinent flights. In my mind this is much better than driving to the back end of beyond (Gatwick) just to get a direct flight.

Having done both Venice and Innsbruck for the Dolomites I would say Venice is a much easier drive to Cortina
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@erica2004, surprised skyscanner didn't just return what I found but at least you tried. Any implied criticism retracted Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Depends on which side of the Dolomites you go to, particularly if public transport is or might be required.
Cortina, Arraba, etc. I'd choose Venice
Corvara, Alta Badia, Selva etc. I'd choose Innsbruck
Canazei, Campitello etc. I'd consider Verona
Obviously in summer it'd be less of an issue when driving, and an extra mountain pass to drive over is probably not a problem. In winter, you can be the wrong side of a closed pass.
Klagenfurt has potential (at least in summer), or even Ljubljana (definitely summer flights from STN), at a stretch but it's a longer drive. Think there's even train service from there to Bruneck/Brunico (might have to change), which is right at the bottom of the road up to Alta Badia.
No idea if Bolzano is shut, but even when it was open, the only flights I managed to find went via Rome.

Innsbruck to Alta Badia is an easy drive both in summer and winter, with zero high level mountain passes other than the Brenner pass, which will always attract immediate snow clearing.
snow conditions
Innsbruck is really close to Bolzano, aout a 1.5 hour drive. Verona is good too, aout the same distance. For summer you could easily do Venice or Treviso to Altabadia. I regularly go from Bristol to Treviso as our place is near the Civetta ski range - alta badia would be 30 minutes extra. Verona will be a longer drive for certain. I believe Easyjet are starting up flights to Venice Marco Polo after a year long Hiatus. Thank god... Cryanair...
latest report
Thanks guys! I have worked out that Venice is a good option for us in the summer as we can fly there from Bristol and I imagine the drive will be lovely to Alta Badia. Venice is lovely too. In the winter, EJ fly into Innsbruck from Bristol which is the flight we have always taken. We can fly from Newquay to Gatwick again now so that is an option too. Now to buy somewhere Toofy Grin
latest report
@Casa Alfredino, Just spotted that you fly BRS to Treviso - which airline? EJet are flying to Marco Polo next summer ?
snow report
@Casa Alfredino, Any tips for buying in Italy?
snow report
Ryanair. I believe Easyjet are going to do it buy don't quote me on it. They certainly used to and when I tried putting it in before coming out here a couple of weeks ago it said flights were due to start in March I think it was? Maybe April - brain forgets. As for tips - deary me... Well hope you've got a good hold of your wallet if you're uying around Alta Badia. It's super expensive for what you get. We bought here near Rocca Pietore as it's extremely central, only 1.45 from Treviso or Marco Polo and its quiet. In our Valley the prices are much more reasonable, we bought a house 4 storey which needed renovation for less than the smallest flat we could find in Val Gardena and coverted it into 3 flats. Sure you're not right on the slopes ut you've got Skiing in all directions - Marmolada/Arabba in 5 minutes, Civetta/Alleghe in 10, Passo Falzarego/Giau in 25, Arabba in a 30 minute drive, Canazei in 20 minute drive or 40 minute ski and of course the rest of the Sella Ronda from there too, Alba di Penia in 18 mins from where you can ski to Pozza di Fassa and then catch a bus to Vigo di Fassa, Falcade in 25 minutes... there's more skiing than you can shake a stick at without parting with your arm... it's certainly not got banging night life, but its cheap, accessible very beautiful and a proper italian valley as opposed to a ski resort. If you need other advice let me know - happy to give you the low down - just PM me. I have an italian architect friend who could help you with renovations if that's what you go for...
latest report
Ok - that sounds interesting - I'll look further afield too.
ski holidays
Crikey - a house for renovation at 1/2 the price of a 2 bed apartment in Alta Badia.
snow report
Don't get me wrong we had to do a huge amount of work to it too ut I guess it depends on what you want. We figured that even with (the not that much) lower rental income, we'd still be better off with multiple apartments than a single on right on the slopes. But if you found the right property outside a resort you can get really good value for money. Just in our village alone I reckon there has to be 40-50% of houses standing empty as Italians seem to prefer to keep their family legacy until it collapses rather than sell it. Having said that things are beginning to come on the market and with the property market as it is in Italy its not hard to find something cheaply. Anyway rather than clog up the thread here, I'll send you a message instead Smile
snow report
Re Bozen (Bolzano) the only scheduled flight, one to Rome operated by Darwin Airlines, packed up in June, although the regional government is looking for a new carrier.
http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/34034-darwin-airline-etihad-regional-cancels-bolzano-pso-contract
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy