Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buy in Tignes or La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
Simple question really. Going tomorrow to buy an apt in Tignes or La Plagne.

Ugly building in Plagne, but get more for money.

But ignoring the property, is La Plagne considered as snow sure a Tignes, and is it considered a poor relation?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can't really get more snow sure than Tignes in France tbh.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd argue that La Plagne is just as snow sure (it is right next door!) but I think Tignes is *considered* more snow sure. If you are planning on renting this apartment out, my impression is that there's more demand in Tignes and for a longer season - and there's definitely more of a summer season too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We wont be renting out, so purely for us.

Is La Plagne more "pretty" than Tignes, or are they both much of a muchness?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
EK is overall better in terms of skiing and life, building wise its pretty much 'much of muchness.' If I can make a suggestion - don't buy! Unless you want to live there of course...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gainz, I hear what you say, but we are currently going 5 or 6 times a year, and while the costs will probably be more, it will be "our" place, no need for carting bags around etc. Also kids will use it alot and my parents. Plus, always wanted a bolt hole for peace and quiet.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Philip1972, if you don't know whether Tignes is more or less pretty than La Plagne, it's not obvious why you are going to buy an apartment in one of them tomorrow. Puzzled If you care about prettiness they're both a pretty odd choice. wink

The thing about Tignes is that it has a much longer season and much higher terrain. If that's important to you. Lots of people, including me, were skiing in Tignes, on excellent snow, last week.

If you've been to both areas in the summer, which did you enjoy the most? If you've not been to either area in the summer, maybe that's the next step?

You've presumably skied in both areas? Which do you like best? They're fairly different.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
which do you like best? I mean, it's your choice after all...

weird question.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Philip1972, if you only plan on spending time there in the main winter season, I'd go with the extra space in La Plagne. If you want to take advantage of the longer season, or go there in summer, I'd pick Tignes. Assuming all other factors equal of course Happy

Which parts of La Plagne/Tignes? What are the blocks like? Both resorts have some blocks that need a lot of money spending on the communal facilities in the near future. Tignes has some blocks that have a lot seasonaires living in them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, @under a new name, +1
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Philip1972 wrote:
Simple question really. Going tomorrow to buy an apt in Tignes or La Plagne.

Ugly building in Plagne, but get more for money.

But ignoring the property, is La Plagne considered as snow sure a Tignes, and is it considered a poor relation?

Thanks

It's worth doing a fair bit more research before you buy. As others have said the building and who manages it is pretty important. Our building has just had a new entrance hall, cctv and a few other things installed. We all voted to stump up a few quid to cover it. It had new lifts before that and a whole new front fascia before that.

Whether the building gets kept in reasonable shape depends on the attitude of the Co-props to agree to investment in it.

Only way to find out is totally to other owners. It's usually quite easy to track down a few. But you need to be in the resort.

My suggestion if you are looking to buy an apartment:

1) Research which resort you want to buy in.
2) Spend a week at the resort, in the summer is best, research which buildings you would be keen on. Location, building charges, management company etc etc
3) Pre-arrange for immobiliers to take you round as many as you can see in the buildings you have shortlisted.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I looked at Tignes, La Plagne, Les Arcs. The long season of Tignes was one of the advantages of Tignes over the other two resorts, but I don't think in 'real world' skiing there's much of a difference in snow-sureness. Overall I thought that I could get slightly more space and/or a nicer building in Les Arcs & La Plagne compared to Tignes, but in the end what decided it for us was location. At the time we were buying I could buy a nice, new apartment (bought outright rather than leaseback) which offered a ski in/out location, swimming pool, underground garage, easy train access from London and nice view of Mt Blanc for the budget we had. I couldn't get something like that in Tignes, so we were very happy to buy in Les Arcs.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree entirely on the importance of understanding how the building is managed - how the co-pro works - etc.

Are the options you are looking at outright ownership or leaseback?

Are you really going to "buy one" tomorrow? Shocked

Like @rob@rarlocation was absolutely critical for us. Beautiful mountain views and proximity to piste/lift. I would not have gone for a place which looked out, for most of the year, on a load of empty and shuttered buildings.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Philip1972, very odd you don't know the answer to your original question.
Unless you are made of money, the outlay for an apartment is a considerable investment and most of us would have put in a lot of research before purchase, as suggsted by emwmarine.
And really, there is no answer your query about "pretty". Neither are really pretty, but it does vary hugely depending on which bit of each resort you are referring to.
But you should know this already. Decidedly odd you don't.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jonpim, I was really after what everyone else thought (odd I know).

I know Tignes well, and have been to La Plagne but never in summer (Tignes I have been in summer).

I have decided on Tignes, but someone sent me a link to a place in Plagne, so it added confusion really.
ski holidays
How many places in Tignes have you looked at? Co-pro classique?
ski holidays
Looked at 6 when I was there in March, then the apt that looks like it ticks the boxes came on the market 2 months ago. I know the building and have spoken to some locals about the co pro as well as the current owners.

Its what I want, in the village in Brevieres, decent co pro (fees reasonable), renovated completely this year, lots of money spent on the actual whole building in 2014 and no more planned now for a while, so not expecting any large bills.

Brevieres is a pretty little place, stayed there 5 or 6 times and it has a few nice restaurants. I am old (and therefore miserable) so night life is not a priority. I usually drive down, so no issues getting to Tignes or Val D to use the pool or different restaurants and the water sports and biking in the summer.
snow report
@Philip1972, Brev not LP, but what sort of money? Surely you're paying at the top of the market, there can't be a great amount of properties coming available which drives the market skyward.....although I guess at 1.4 its maybe getting nearly palatable?
ski holidays
@Markymark29, Bottom end of the market! I am a cheapskate lol
ski holidays
Well done. Chosing is always tricky. I like Tignes as well as Para but have spent more time in Para with my partner so Para won. Tignes Val is high so makes for a longer season but as it would be ours and I've already got 6 weeks planned, an extra bit at the end of the season didn't matter.
the size/location issue was solved when I saw places at 34 sqm. We have 5 kids 15 to 24 so size won. Having been to arc and plagne in the summer looking, Arc shaded it and the proximity to Bourg for the train and shopping made it arc.
We sign on Monday, are out cleaning next weekend and the furniture arrives December.
The practical issues are testing me at the moment but once I get used to the french way of doing things and speak to some locals, it should go well.
Once we've lived there, works will be done in the summer. The only gripe is that I couldn't get a builder to fit and extra toilet.
I hope the buying process goes well and you enjoy it
latest report
Quote:

I saw places at 34 sqm. We have 5 kids 15 to 24 so size won

Shocked
snow report
Philip1972 wrote:
Is La Plagne more "pretty" than Tignes, or are they both much of a muchness?

Got to be WUT...

So, let me see, which of the two ugliest resorts in the Alps (and possibly in the world) is the "prettier" Laughing
snow report
Which village in La Plagne and Tignes? That would be the deal breaker for me snowHead
snow conditions
La Plagne, particularly Montchavin, is lovely in the summer. I don't mean the villages themselves, but the mountain area and valley are lovely. The mountain side below Les Arcs is also lovely in the summer.

In terms of convenience I'd definitely choose LP over Tignes. That extra 45 minutes up the valley has been problematic on occasion and could introduce an additional risk to you getting to the airport on time.
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, its Les Brevieres. See above.
snow report
Ahhh but Which La Plagne village @pam w,? Aime would be a 'hell no' for me
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, Bellecote.
latest report
Philip1972, What made us choose Montalbert La Plagne over Tignes was the drive 'up'. Tignes is basically a cul de sac and once up there it's a fair drive back down to go anywhere else.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I do agree that it's a hideous drive up. It would put me off, too. The whole drive is grotty, bleak and full of the nuttiest drivers in the mountains. Les Brevieres is the nicest part, though, and not as far up into the grot as the other parts!
ski holidays
Is it this one? If so, will you be my friend and can I come to stay please?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-33343785.html

I would choose Tignes all day long.
snow report
@HoneyBunny, that's gross. Laughing
ski holidays
@HoneyBunny, Thought that was on the cheap side to be honest Toofy Grin

And I am too fat to walk all those stairs Laughing
latest report
HoneyBunny wrote:

bug me sideways thats nice! off to buy a lottery ticket I go..... Happy
snow report
Then I'd pick La Plagne @Philip1972,
snow conditions
That property is proof that money doesn't buy you taste... Smile
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:

That is truly hideous. Any why would HDR estate agents photos?
snow report
Loads of them do now.

Yep it's pretty garish, but the decor is easily changed.

I thought I might buy this one in Val:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-45448910.html
snow report
@HoneyBunny, Gross eh unless you've changed to HoneyBunnyski (as in Russian not skiing contact).
snow report
you'd need to change more than the decor. The furniture is gross, too.
latest report
Les Brev is as pretty as any alpine village IMHO, however its season is the same length as La P or thereabouts - the lifts open in the late teens of Dec. To take advantage of the long season you would have to drive up the hill. As a resort La PLagne has been going backwards for 10 years in comparison to Tignes. La Plagne has a new management structure and has launched a 10 year plan to arrest its decline in numbers - a plan pretty similar to one Tignes launched in the mid noughties
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy