Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Treating gloves

Poster: A snowHead
So i bought a pair of outdoor research stormtracker gloves: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/outdoor-research-stormtracker-gloves-p282841

they have a leather goatskin palm. Will I need to just apply some Nikwax or something to them before I use them for skiing?

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never bothered treating leath gloves with anything. Most of the time the leather doesn't get wet.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well it is a softshell materiale as well, so by no means waterproof. For the leather part I would apply beeswax once a year, to keep the leather soft.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In my experience leather, if that's what it is, needs proofing.

I don't ride in the rain much, but even dry snow has moisture in it. I try to get mitts with no leather if I can, but otherwise you just need nikwax or equivalent once a season. In my opinion you also want to dry them out overnight and before packing them to fly, for example.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@blueforests, you can get a big tub of Hestra's special wax for goatskin for about a fiver at any shop selling the Hestra gloves. I've had mine for 5 years and treat them once or twice a season and I've hardly marked the surface of the wax/lanolin or whatever it is in the tin. A little goes a very long way and my gloves are still flexible, warm and waterproof.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Second vote for the Hestra wax. Got a little from ebay and have been treating a variety of leather gloves with it for years. Lasts ages.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hestra wax is great stuff.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@HoneyBunny, Big Thumbs Up
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
HoneyBunny wrote:

Only when applied warm, by hand, with candle light and the right track on the stereo. . .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
And wine Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque wrote:
HoneyBunny wrote:

Only when applied warm, by hand, with candle light and the right track on the stereo. . .

My OH does not like the smell. Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is this the Hestra wax everyone is raving about above?

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/2563/products/hestra_leather_care_balm_30ml.aspx
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chopkins13 wrote:
Is this the Hestra wax everyone is raving about above?

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/2563/products/hestra_leather_care_balm_30ml.aspx

Right, but as I said my OH does not like the smell (neither warm, by hand og by candle light) but otherwise great stuff.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hestra wax or saddle soap
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hyst wrote:
my OH does not like the smell

Oh, I was going to get some of this Hestra wonderwax but am now worried as I'm sensitive to smells and a lot of things make me gag. Like hot ski wax Shocked . I have to go out whilst OH does the skis then opens all the windows till the smell has gone. Petrol, oil based paint, lots of things set me off. So could you, if possible, describe the smell, (or better still, get your OH to do it). Because I don't want to buy something I can't use. Thanks.
ski holidays
How about some good ole fashioned Dubbin?
ski holidays
@maggi, Go down to a shop open a sample and have a try, is the best I can say. It does NOT smell "chemical". Embarassed
snow report
haigie wrote:
How about some good ole fashioned Dubbin?

That's what I use. Pre season and once or twice during.
latest report
@Hyst, well, I would, if I could find somewhere close that sells it but I can't. It would have to be mail order, pay postage, sniff it, pay postage to send it back. I'm not made of money! Shocked Laughing

(And I'm from Yorkshire Little Angel .)
snow conditions
@maggi, You can get a wide range of stuff from Amazon which will do the job, including Dubbin. I use the Hestra stuff which I picked up from a ski shop selling the gloves about a year after I bought the gloves. Prior to that I used the small sample they included with the gloves. I don't like Dubbin as it tends to make the surfaces sticky because it is not easily absorbed; for my leather walking boots I switched to Nikwax almost as soon as it came out. The Hestra stuff keeps the leather flexible as well as waterproof and is definitely not a sticky substance. It is very light and goes into the leather really easily and quickly. Toofy Grin
latest report
I'm now using Punch Dubbin in a Tube. I leave for a day or 2 in a warm place and all completely absorbed into the leather and not sticky.
snow report
Dubbin also softens leather and can cause stitching holes to stretch.
snow conditions
@Samerberg Sue, I've just bought some Hestra gloves off a snowHead (Zorrac) on here. They're unused but didn't come with a sample so I was definitely going to buy the Hestra wax but now I'm unsure due to Hyst and the smell thing. I can get Nikwax stuff here but there is Conditioning for Leather, which is for shoes, or Leather Restorer, which seems to be for clothing but is a spray, or Glove Proof, which is sponge on. Then there's Waterproofing Wax for Leather which looks, to me, ideal, but it says it's for shoes? I'd just like to know what ingredient(s) I'm looking for.

(Am I overthinking this rolling eyes Puzzled )
ski holidays
Saddle soap doesn't smell much and does a similar job to the waxes
snow conditions
@maggi,
Hestra wax doesn't smell bad, if anything it's quite nice. A slight honey/bees wax type odour.
snow report
I quite like the smell of the Hestra stuff and I have just re-done my all leather gloves this very day. Good tip I got was to put the gloves in the tumble dryer for 10 mins to get the pores in the leather to open, the balm soaks staright in and last season an d the season before they performed really well. Keeps them super soft too.

Learn to love the smell.... love the smell.... love the smell... Blush
latest report
I've used "Effax leather balsam" for years on all sort of leather gloves boots and clothing, it doesn't smell in any way of chemicals but just a slightly sweet aroma. Contains things like beeswax, lanolin amongst other ingredients and really keeps leather soft, waterproof and prevents cracking.
I thought sadle soap was used to clean tack\sadles etc and neutralise the acid effects of horse perspiration on the leather and not offer much protection, you'd usually apply protection after cleaning with the soap.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy