Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Equipment Life Expectancy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Had a quick search but couldn't find anything exactly, although I am sure it has been mentioned before.

Obviously it is all dependent on how much you use them but how long is would you expect equipment (skis etc) to last?
I ask because my current skis (4frnt stl's) are from 2006, they've had a good few weeks put into them, but had been maintained and are reasonable for there age. Although they still feel upto the job, you can tell they have softened a little and I was just wondering if they would still cut it or if it would be better to purchase /rent a more upto date ski?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Age is fairly irrelevant, it's about use (unless we're talking about boots, where plastic can actually fatigue with age).

I'm still happily using a pair of 08 4FRNT EHPs - very well made skis and still in great condition. I have a pair of Moment Bibby Pros of similar vintage that now really need replacing, but they've had well over 250 ski days so that's not surprising. Interestingly, a couple of years ago Moment updated the design of the ski, but have now switched back to the original design as everyone preferred it to the update!

If your skis have only had a few weeks use they have plenty of life left in them. The only reason to switch is if you prefer the look of newer designs. Personally most of my skis are a few years old and I'm perfectly happy with them.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 12-11-15 13:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dzmarc, for skis it's more to do with how much edge metal/base gets removed with servicing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

@Dzmarc, for skis it's more to do with how much edge metal/base gets removed with servicing

True but I've had several pairs of skis become soft and floppy before I've run out of edge and base. It depends a lot on construction. My stormriders are 10 years old but given the woodcore and one and a half layers of titanal are still going strong. Less traditional constructions seem to break down much quicker.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No one has invoked the N+1 rule yet!

You may not NEED new skis, but if you are thinking about it then you WANT new skis.

I think it is safe to say that my old SX10s will run out of edge long before they go any sort of soft (to misquote an old Irn-bru advert "Made in Austria - from girders")
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@clarky999, @under a new name, Thanks, pretty sure they've still got a couple more weeks left in them judging by that. A good service on them would not go a miss though, which gives me something to do over the next few weeks and find the files.

@Col the Yeti, Definitely need another set then don't I .... just need to find the Lepricorn at the end of the rainbow Laughing I was so close to buying a pair of Whitedots too. Crying or Very sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy