Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting from Trois Vallees to Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm in Trois Vallees for the second two weeks of January and would like to get over to Chamonix for a few days (I have two days of free lift passes - the unlimited one).

Should I rent a car for the trip or can trains do it? I'd prefer to travel in the evening so as not to miss any ski time.

Also, as someone comfortable on blacks in the western US with backcountry experience (I have touring gear), how should I spend my two days in Chamonix? I'd love to do something involving a night at a hut or something a bit adventurous. Recommendations for an itinerary and a guide (if needed)?

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
it'll take you about 4hrs driving, but in all honesty the cost of the hire car (assuming that you wont be picking up and dropping in the same place) will be more than the lift passes are worth.

be easier to just spend a couple of extra days in the 3V's!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@aliebling, train is at least 5 hours journey, sometimes 6.5 hours, with minimum 3 changes. Car a better option IMO and also useful if you plan to try different areas within Chamonix valley, which is quite spread out. Another possibility might be ski resort transfer buses that operate to/from the 3Vs, mostly Fridays to Sundays. That's if you didn't want the expense and hassle of renting a car and driving. Motoring in dark in Alpine midwinter not much fun IMO, especially if regularly having to put on and take off snowchains.

Chamonix valley has a lot to offer in good conditions. Argentiere spectacular and challenging. If you're definitely going there, a separate posting on snowHeads asking for advice on adventurous skiing, possibly ski touring, around Chamonix more likely to get good responses.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It sounds like @aliebling will have flown all the way across the Atlantic so it's unlikely a few hours in a car will put him off.

The Cham experience is vastly different from the 3Vs. If you're coming all the way from the US then I'd say it was well worth the effort. I've no idea about hiring a car in the 3V but I'm sure it'll be possible - but I can see two other alternatives if you're happy to carry an overnight bag.

Bus down to Moutiers then train (or bus) to Bourg St Maurice then either:
1) taxi up towards the Col de la Croix de Bonhomme. Skin up the hill (not sure if the refuge will be open) and then down towards Les Contamines and more taxi/bus.
2) bus up to La Rosierre and get a half-day or randonneurs(?) pass to get you over to La Thuile in Italy. Bus down the hill and thru the tunnel to Cham or get the Helbronner lift and then ski down the Vallee Blanche.

A bit more effort than driving but quite an adventure.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@aliebling, If you look at google map it says under 2 hours from Courchevel to Chamonix on the N roads via Megeve and 2 hours 35 minutes if you take the autoroutes. That is assuming the roads are clear and there is little traffic which is likely if you go mid-week and the weather is good.
I'm planning a journey via Chamonix from Champagny (which is on the same route and is a similar distance) in December or early January. If you remind me nearer the time I'll let you know how long it takes.

It will be far easier renting a car, you can normally rent them in the resort or there are a few car rental places in Moutiers which is easily accessible by bus from the 3 valleys.

If you ask on the Chamonix 15/16 post about suitable itineraries I'm sure somebody will help you out.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hiring a car will be best nearly all other methods will require going back to geneva You dont say how you are getting to and from the airport in the first place If the weather is good and the gorges of arly are open (they have a habit of being closed for rockfalls and floods )it will take 2 hours approx.If the weather is poor or the road is closed via annecy will take 2hours 45 mins approx and be a lot easier drive .As said befor the car is quite handy for getting about in the cham valley and possibly back to meribel or the airport.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another option is hopping on a transfer to Geneva then one to Chamonix. My recommendation for two adventurous days in Chamonix would be the Valle Blanche one day, and an easy tour the next maybe the Berard Traverse or the Col du Passion.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What about the runs from the top of the Grands Montets cable car above Argentiere? One of my most memorable days skiing in 30 years was there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy