Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I hire an avalanche airbag?

Poster: A snowHead
I am heading off in January to do a Snowworks backcountry course in St Anton.
There is an option to rent an airbag for £70.
What do people think?
Should I go for it ... or is it a bit over the top?
Any useful advice appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FoofyNoo wrote:
I am heading off in January to do a Snowworks backcountry course in St Anton.
There is an option to rent an airbag for £70.
What do people think?
Should I go for it ... or is it a bit over the top?
Any useful advice appreciated.

What are your alternatives?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
First check they got snow!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FoofyNoo, i would suggest you do - maybe even buy one - but certainly learn all you can about them.
Not particularly for safety (i don't have one), but because all the others on the course will have an airbag, and will drone on for hours about how their airbag is better than all the others, about intricate details of airbag technology, and will recount all night stories of where airbags saved people they know from certain death (so make sure you have at least one such story).
Without this you will be ignored.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No, relax. Save that weight. Quick glance at snow works website suggests they have a number of mountains guides in their staff. Experts in understanding terrain and snow conditions, and generally staying alive in mountains throughout long careers. They'll not be taking you places they expect to slide, in the unlikely event if it does slide, they'll have separated the group so that only one or two people get caught and the others will be able to dig you out.

Safety equipment such as airbags are only a small part of the safety equation. If your skiing with a professional group, your paying for the professional to deal with the complex stuff so you can just focus on enjoying and learning in safety. (Including transceiver, probe & shovel....)

Enjoy!

PS. Ignore the above if you plan to go riding entirely alone..... but then if you're daft enough to do that, you'd ignore all advice anyway Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Most guided groups in St Anton seem to equip participants with airbags - whether this is part of the freeride image, a money making opportunity, genuine safety improvement or what the reasonably well heeled market expects who knows? Probably a bit of all. They are only ever a lottery ticket.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As far as I know, ABS bags have been compulsory for all people skiing off piste with guides in Switzerland for some years now.
Basis for saying this is that when I hired a guide in Engleberg 5+ years ago he turned up with ABS packs and there was no option whether we used them.

Elsewhere it is a matter of choice but I don't necessarily think that the fact that you are being guided means you should not take a bag. Swiss guides don't feel that way and after all, every year skiers are killed in avalanches skiing with guides.

Full disclosure: I invested in an ABS last year and am getting a second to have in our cave for friends but have skied a lot off piste without one, with and without guides.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jedster wrote:
As far as I know, ABS bags have been compulsory for all people skiing off piste with guides in Switzerland for some years now.
Basis for saying this is that when I hired a guide in Engleberg 5+ years ago he turned up with ABS packs and there was no option whether we used them.

I skied a week in both Andermatt and Engelberg last season and there was no compulsion whatsoever to use ABS packs.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I skied a week in both Andermatt and Engelberg last season and there was no compulsion whatsoever to use ABS packs

with a guide? I meant that it was policy of the swiss guides when taking people off piste.
If so then it may have just been the policy of that guide or guides office.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes I was with guides.

I did not notice any great use of ABS packs amongst other guided groups either.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Interesting - may be they backed off. Like I say - we were handed the packs as soon as we met the guide.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Think it largely depends on the sponsorship of the particular BdG. It's a pretty reliable way of reaching your target customers if you sponsor a few known free ride resorts.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fair point
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone ...
I now feel that I am way better informed but not really closer to a decision.
Maybe I should wait to see what the weather brings closer to the trip .... ?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@FoofyNoo, it will improve your chances of survival:

https://www.wildsnow.com/18262/avalanche-airbag-statistics-metrics/
snow conditions
FoofyNoo wrote:
Thanks everyone ...
I now feel that I am way better informed but not really closer to a decision.
Maybe I should wait to see what the weather brings closer to the trip .... ?

I am a regular Snoworks client and have probably been on about ten trips with them. I think they started offering ABS rental for the first time last season, however I don't recall them pushing it very heavily and I do not recall many people taking up the offer and that was a group of probably at least thirty people. I am not convinced of the need myself and do not use them.

It is obviously your decision, but I doubt if many on your course will be using them.

As for waiting for the weather, if you are cautious I would not let the weather forecast influence your decision. As I think most experienced off piste skiers will tell you, it does not take a lot of snow to kill someone. I would suggest that you make your decision based on whether or not you feel comfortable being off piste with regard to safety in the first place.
snow report
Quote:

I am not convinced of the need myself and do not use them.

I think it is difficult to say there is a "need".
Best evidence seems to be that wearing one reduces the chance of an avalanche killing you by about 50%. On the face of it that is worth having but you need to consider the penalty in cost and weight. And to consider what the risk is that you are halving! Which will vary a lot with the specific terrain and snowpack conditions...
And of course if you look at a line and think "I wouldn't be happy skiing that without an airbag" then you shouldn't ski it with one either.

All that said, the price and weight is worth it for me.
latest report
The chances of being killed by a bear are very low. If you walk in bear country they are still low but higher. If you camp and take precautions still low but higher still. If you are not at all cautious still low but much higher. If you do something really stupid they are much much higher. Etc.
If your going to tap a bear on the nose, carry a gun.
ski holidays
Does anyone have a Jetforce?
snow report
@galpinos, snowheads ch20 has been playing with one in his shop, maybe he'll pop in.
ski holidays
@galpinos, i've bought one online recently, just waiting for it to arrive...
snow report
@galpinos, I have a Pieps Jetforce Tour 24
latest report
Quote:

The chances of being killed by a bear are very low.

In North America there have been about 30 fatalities due to bear attack since the year 2000. Obviously it helps if you are wearing a bearbag. I'll get me coat.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy