Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zell am See, Kaprun, Kitzsteinhorn snow report 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
Yesterday John Barr and I started our new season on the Kitzsteinhorn at Kaprun. And the season wasn't all that was new there, for there have been big changes to the lift system. The biggest innovation is the new gondolas, Gletscherjet 3 & 4, which transport you from the Alpincenter, where the gondolas from the valley come up to, to the bottom of the Gletschershuttle and, pretty well to the top of the glacier area. The Gletscherjet 3 is a combi lift, i.e. it has a mixture of chairs and cabins, so that you can repeat runs down from the middle station without having to take your skis off. However, to start the day, we wanted to travel right to the top, so we chose to go in a cabin. There was a short queue for that as the crowds arrived but the waiting time was brief (there was still a queue later in the day but even shorter, so that there was practically no waiting)...

This photo shows an overview of the area from one of the chairs on the Gletscherjet 3...

As you can see, the weather was overcast and so it remained for most of the day. There was also a chilly, blustery wind at times. And there wasn't a great deal of snow, probably the least I have seen around this time of year. Sky News had reported that the glacier pistes were open and so it was, though actually the Schmiedinger T-bars weren't running, so that enjoyable area couldn't be skied. That was probably because there were a good number of crevasses to be seen in areas which are usually skiable alongside the Schmiedinger piste.

So we were restricted largely to the Kitz and Maurer glaciers. The run down to the Alpincenter (on the right in the photo above) was also open, largely due to artificial snow, I suspect. As is often the case, the runs near the Kitz double T-bars were busy with instructor and race training groups. The Kitz T-bars are actually new too, though only in that the old Kees T-bar has been removed and the Kitz lifts have moved over a bit into the middle of the glacier area. Here's a photo which also shows the middle station of the new gondolas...

I never saw much of a queue for the T-bars, despite the crowds. I had feared that there would be queues at the middle station of the Gletscherjet 3 & 4 as cabins came up full from the bottom but that wasn't a problem at all. Some cabins circulate only on the upper Gletscherjet 4 section and then filter in at the middle station. That seemed to work well and we never had to wait at the middle station Very Happy. However, though there wasn't much waiting, the pistes at the Kitz lifts were busy. This wasn't such a problem for those who were prepared to ski the steeper Maurer piste - here a view from the top...

The snow was also a little better over there. On the runs by the Kitz T-bars there was ice showing through in places where the snow had been scraped away but it was easy to ski over it. The run to the Alpincenter was also enjoyable. Here's a view from that which shows the new bottom station of the Gletscherjet 3...

And just to show that we did have a few glimpses of the sun in the afternoon, here is a photo of the Kitzsteinhorn (where you can also see the upper station of the Gletscherjet 4)...

Although I didn't see it operating yesterday, there is one more new T-bar, the Schneehasen lift (for snow bunnies). This probably makes the area more practical and enjoyable for learners. Its short track finishes near the top station of the old Gratbahn chairlift (which has been replaced now by the new gondolas).

So, though only the Gletscherjet 3 & 4 and the Kitz and Maurer T-bars were running, we had some enjoyable skiing, not great but it was skiing Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I too have spent the last few days up on the Kitzsteinhorn as Espri says snow conditions not bad but not great, as you would expect better earlier on and higher up. Talking to various people conditions were excellent up until last weekend when the increased number of skiers and warm weather began to take its toll.
The new lift system is excellent and the queues are much reduced from previous years from my memory. The new piste layout has improved the congestion a bit also but still busy in areas with large parts closed for race training. Having a shopping day today but will be back up tomorrow so will report anything else that comes to mind.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice to hear about the new lifts at Kaprun. As it happens, the only time I skied at Kaprun was just a few months before the funicular tunnel fire disaster. Such a tragic event. Sad Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@espri, Thanks for the info and pics. Yep, snow looks pretty thin, I'd swear I've seen more in June! From that shot looking over to Zell there's not a flake on the Schmittenhöhe and I would think thats pretty rare by this stage.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@espri great report thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just been looking at pics taken up there this time last year and comparing them, was some dusting at the top of the Scmittenhohe, but not much, but from talking to people out here, seems the temps are lower overnight so the ground is cooler, frost around in the morning and I noticed some still around after midday in sheltered areas as I drove near Lofer. The pics seem to show that there was a nice snowfall around the 18th/19th, so here's hoping it does the same next week.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Sitter, Yeah, found this site http://www.foto-webcam.eu/webcam/zellamsee/ which lets you see the Schmittenhöhe and the Kitzsteinhorn and part of the Maiskogel in the distance and note that on this day last year there was some snow on the Schmitten and in 2013 it was good down to Mittelstation. In 2014 The Kitz was well covered down to the Alpincentre and in 2013 it was probably skiable down to the Langwiedböden. Just goes to show though that it could be a while yet before we see a winter wonderland. In 2014 it was 27th December before the snow line reached the lakeside although in 2013 it was going the other way by then having been right down by 24th November. I was there in mid January 2014 in slush almost to the top.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was on the Kitzsteinhorn again yesterday and a beautiful day it was...

One thing I didn't mention in the last report is that the Magnetköpfl lift beside the snowpark has been changed from being a couple of button tows to a single T-bar. You can just about see it in the middle of the photo above.

The skiing was reasonable. On the main glaciers the snow was hard and icy in places, in the shadow in the photo below. Below that down to the Alpincenter the snow was soft and sugary.

The runs were still restricted because of the lack of snow. The next photo shows the (closed) run down to the Sonnenkar chairlifts (piste 8a) and, in the foreground, the gully which is often a "shortcut" to the piste, presently just a rocky valley...

I had the impression that it was slightly busier than a week ago. I had the pleasure of meeting a fellow Scot on a T-bar. But there still weren't any major queues, especially in the afternoon. One other difference from the previous week was that cabins from the Gletscherbahn 3 weren't going through to the Gletscherbahn 4. You had to change at the middle station, which wasn't so good. But no great problem, so that I would also celebrate the 50 years there has been skiing on the Kitzsteinhorn...

Now it looks as though new snow will come at the weekend Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had another trip to the Kitzsteinhorn yesterday - here some more photos. On the way there I saw that the snow cannons had been at work on the run down beside the Areitbahn lift in Zell am See and at Kaprun they were blasting away down to valley level on the Schaufelberg piste, the lower section of the Maiskogel area at Kaprun village.

Up on the Kitzsteinhorn, which you can see in the background of the photo above, there had also been new snow (and many snow cannons were active there too). However, I didn't have the impression that there had been a big fall. Although the slopes seemed quieter than the weeks before (though that may have been because I didn't arrive till noon), the steeper sections on the Kitz Kees runs (and the narrower track at the bottom of the Maurer glacier) were still hard and icy. The scene was more wintry, though. Here is a view looking towards piste 8b which is similar to one of last weeks photos; at least some of the rocks are covered now, though you couldn't ski the gully yet.

This week piste 8b was open and the Sonnenkar I chairlift was running, which made for a little more variety. Some groups were skiing down the Schmiedinger piste, though officially it was closed. Here's a view from the top of the Sonnenkar I, looking over to Zell am See. You can see that there is now some snow at the top of the Schmittenhöhe and on the Areitbahn run (pistes 1-4 in Zell).

It was a beautifully sunny day, here an overview from the Top of Salzburg platform at the Gipfelwelt 3000.

...but very cold, cold enough that the battery of my camera gave up the ghost in the afternoon, -15°C on the glacier. My fingers were so cold that, even though I was only having a shorter day, I took time off to have lunch in the Gipfelwelt 3000 restaurant. That meant I could walk through the short tunnel linking the top station of the Gletscherjet 4 to the Gletschershuttle. In the tunnel there are interesting displays about the history of the Kitzsteinhorn and skiing there.

And here is the entry to the tunnel at the Shuttle end and a view looking up to the Gipfelwelt 3000.

I didn't find much powdery snow except where the cannons had been blowing. However, some skiers were more adventurous - here a ski tourer just about to go down the steep slope from the Gipfelwelt 3000.

Nevertheless, with weather like that, who could complain Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great photos again, looks quite a bit better than 10 days ago. The tunnel through to the Gletschershuttle is very interesting, although when we went through and up to Gipfelwelt 3000 for a coffee the Gletschershuttle broke down leaving us approx 100m from our skis with no way of getting to them other than a riding down in the Gipfelbahn and back up the Gletscherjet 3 and 4. It was a bit annoying but I guess these things happen, the Gipfelbahn driver was very apologetic and the coffee was good.
Can't wait to get back out at Christmas now.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All looking sweet, we arrive on the 12th dec so fingers crossed for lots of snow
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hello Kaprun/Zell am See Snowheads. I'm heading out to Kaprun on 12th Dec for a week. I've not skied in Kaprun before as I tend to head to the French megaresorts (3 Valleys, Espace Killy, Paradiski etc) and in Jan/Feb time rather than early Dec. I was wondering, given the lack of snow at the lower levels, whether there is sufficient snow/open runs at the higher levels/glacier to keep an energetic skier occupied for 6 days of skiing?

I tend to be a first lift out, (almost) last lift back person and mainly stick to blues and reds.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@FrenchFriesPizza, compared to the French mega resorts in peak season you will find the amount of skiing to be limited in the area, but provided you don't mind doing the same run more than once you should be able to keep yourself entertained. Also, depending on how the weather pans out in the next week or two you should be able to have a couple of days at Zell am See too. There is a free ski bus from Kaprun and your lift pass covers this area as standard.

To be honest though if I was recommending a resort to someone who is a "first lift out, (almost) last lift back person" and used to the french mega resorts I wouldn't have said Kaprun. It's great for a couple of days and in season will nearly always have great conditions but it's not big at all. There are better alternatives in Austria even this early in the season. Sorry to be a killjoy!

Fingers crossed you get some decent snow before or whilst your there so you can visit Zell more.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@AthersT, it's OK, it will simply prove to the mega ski factory lovers that Austria is not for them! wink

@FrenchFriesPizza, to be honest, you may well be disappointed and maybe "forced" to ski the same runs over and over again due to the "lack of mileage". wink Then again, you may like the whole package and become a convert! Next time you fancy and early ski in Austria maybe look at Hintertux and the Zillertal or perhaps Stubai or Sölden. All three offer more skiing than Kaprun should the snow be slow in arriving.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you for the feedback and no worries about being a killjoy - the choice of Kaprun was primarily for non-skiing reasons but the opportunity to ski is an added bonus Little Angel
ski holidays
@FrenchFriesPizza, Don't get me wrong if your open minded and embrace the whole package you will love the area - make sure you go to the Tauern Spa in Kaprun, also there is great Paragliding to be experienced and the alpine rollercoaster which is in the centre of the village is pretty fun too!
ski holidays
@FrenchFriesPizza, Kaprun is one of my favourite places; quieter than Zell am See but close enough to make it a part of the experience. Make sure you get along to the Tauerntherme (Tauern Spa as it is known more correctly) at some point. You don't need to brave it out in the No Keks section to be able to enjoy it, although the Sauna world is fabulously relaxing once you overcome the initial embarrassment! http://www.tauernspakaprun.com/en/spa-water-world/prices-opening-times

Fabulous experience, especially if it starts to snow while you are outside in one of the outdoor pools. I love it there after a day skiing, nothing beats the healing effect of the thermal water on tired muscles and knackered lungs! Laughing I think all my regular haunts have a thermal spa somewhere near at hand and my swimming/sauna things are always added to my luggage. Travelling by car makes it easier of course.
snow report
Thank you for the tips, the Spa sounds like great fun after a day on the slopes! Very Happy
latest report
@FrenchFriesPizza,
Myself and my son are out on 12th Dec to, I've found over many years of skiing it's what you make of it.

We had one slope in Slovenia a few years ago and still had a great time.

So as long as we have a little snow all be be cool.

Someone tell me more about the thermal spa, sounds amazing
snow conditions
@Esdel, just click on the link I provided above! It really is rather nice and well worth the money! Little Angel
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue wrote:
@Esdel, just click on the link I provided above! It really is rather nice and well worth the money! Little Angel

+1
Had a brill couple hours with Mrs Dougie and 1year old Dougette a few years ago. Love the idea of paying for all at the end, including food. No fussing with change for this and that.
latest report
Looks amazing, will wait till were knackered mid week mind

€30 a day would be a stretch
ski holidays
My destination today was the Schmittenhöhe at Zell am See. It was another day of blue, almost cloudless skies and sun. I started out with the Areitbahn at Schüttdorf and it was immediately obvious that I wouldn't be skiing down at the end of the day...

The snow cannons had been working hard but the run isn't complete yet. Looking back from the gondola I could see that they had also been preparing the beginners' area but there was still more work to be done. I imagine the plan is to have the run and beginners' area ready for the Christmas rush...

Though the weather was pretty well perfect, the pistes were a little less so. There were occasional tufts of grass and earth showing through but what was open was certainly skiable, although as elsewhere pistes weren't always prepared to their full width yet. Here's a view looking down over Zell from near the top station of the Hirschkogel chairlift...

Throughout the day there were numerous snow cannons working, so that the runs were a mixture of hard-packed snow and fresh artificial snow. Here they are active alongside the Kapellenbahn, near the top of the Schmittenhöhe.

Piste 13 was the only run open down towards the valley, with the trassXpress providing the way back. The Ketting run was good. No lifts were running on the Sonnenalm (south-facing) side of the area (though some pistes had been prepared there). The slopes were quiet, though there were a few school groups around. Though the real start of winter is still to come, the day's skiing was very enjoyable.
latest report
We are in kaprun and skied the Kitzsteinhorn today and there is plenty of snow up there almost every lift is open, it started to cut up later on but as borders we don't mind this.
latest report
nice dump of snow today, happy campers
latest report
The pictures from the parks they posted on Facebook yesterday looked pretty good.
snow conditions
@Doofenschmirtz, they being the resort? Which FB page is that there seem to be lots for Zell?
snow conditions
Just returned home after a fun week in Kaprun Very Happy

We split our time between the Glacier and Zell-am-See (Maiskogel not open) and found there was enough open to keep us occupied till around mid afternoon, at which point the snow tended to get a bit slushy lower down and cut up higher up.

The Glacier had fresh snow Weds/Thurs and virtually all of the Glacier runs were open all week. Only downside is that it got quite busy at times but we never had to queue very long for the lifts. The view from the Gipfelwelt 3000 viewing platform on a clear day is amazing.

Over at Zell-am-see fewer slopes were open (less than 50%) and mostly due to snow making (especially towards the end of the week when it warmed up) but what was open was good to ski. It got a bit slushy later in the week and on some of the lower runs but it was still skiable.

Although there were fewer slopes open and not much of it was 'real' snow I actually preferred the skiing in Zell to the Glacier. The views were great and at times we had the slopes to ourselves as everyone else was at the Glacier Very Happy

FYI - the above comments are in relation to piste skiing. I can't comment on off piste (I'm not that good a skier Madeye-Smiley ) but there were a few tracks on the Glacier where people had given it a go.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi, newbie here. I've been lurking for a few weeks checking out the snow reports so I thought I'd add to the Zell thread as I was there with my wife on Friday and Saturday. I was boarding at The Kitzsteinhorn on the Sat (my was wife skiing) and although there is way less snow than I've seen before (I usually go in late Feb), most of the runs were open and the available pistes were in decent shape. The snow was generally pretty firm (but not icy) early on, becoming a little more cut up and softer in the afternoon - not bad though. The new bubbles to the top of the mountain are superb, such a massive improvement over the old, big cable car. All in all, we had a great day.

On Saturday we headed over to Zell. Again there was very little snow around but the resort have done a brilliant job in making the most of what's available. The conditions on piste were really nice early on (10am is early for me!!), great for both skiing and boarding. Towards midday the pistes did start to cut up and become rutted but it was fine for boarding and my wife didn't complain on her skis. Very spring like really.

So, two great days for us even though there wasn't as much terrain as usual. I'd guess if you are there for Christmas week the conditions will be much the same as we had, particularly on the Kitzsteinhorn.

There was even skiing all the way down to the village (to the bottom of the Areitbahn), you just couldn't make huge, sweeping turns!

snow report
Thanks for the report and photos, @benny.c, and welcome to snowHeads.
snow report
Thanks Smile

I'm back out again at the end of Feb so hopefully a little more snow by then. That said, so long as I can get some time in the mountains and make a few turns, I'm happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Ouch! I'm off to Kaprun on the 02.01.
Not encouraging Sad
Still, could be worse, I guess!
Thanks @benny.c, welcome to snowHead s!
latest report
Stay positive, you'll be fine! It might not look pretty but there's still enough terrain to go at for now. That run down to the Areitbahn base station on my photo above was great. I did it twice and never saw another person.
snow report
@benny.c, I'm off there on Saturday for a week - got to say I'm pretty worried! It will be very busy New Year week and with the limited terrain, I'm thinking it could be a nightmare. We do have a car though so may just drive to a different place each day if its that bad.

Any suggestions?
latest report
Sorry I don't know the surrounding resorts that well other than Saalbach which I've only been to a few times. I guess the Skicircus will have the most on offer within an hour of Zell though?
ski holidays
Quick look on Google maps... From Zell Saalbach is 20 minutes away and Kitzbuhel just under an hour. From memory if you get the correct lift pass (Super Salzburger???) these areas are included.

http://www.salzburgerland.com/en/ski-board/super-ski-card/salzburg-super-ski-card.html
snow report
It's the kitzbuehler alpen all star that covers Kaprun/Zell, saalbach etc, kitzbuehl and the ski welt.
ski holidays
@Doofenschmirtz, @Sitter, Cheers - the Salzburg superski car covers Kaprun/Zell and Kitzbuhel as well 20 other ski areas http://goo.gl/etkyLN - doesn't include Skiwelt but I wouldn't be going there with the prevailing conditions.
snow report
My thoughts exactly...
If the conditions stay as they are, I honestly don't think I will even bother going at all Sad
I can ride a bike in London! Sad Sad Sad
snow conditions
Merry Christmas everyone! Doesn't look like Santa has brought much snow yet but keeping everything crossed. We're off to Zell on Jan 16th so three weeks of snow dancing ahead! Many thanks all for your updates, keep 'em coming!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy