Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotish Skiing for a long weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Been exploring ski possibilities this year and i've been wondering how easy it is to do a long weekend at any of the scotish resorts.

This is in addition to the annual ski trip to europe, basically which resort would people recommend, anywhere good to stay and what are the logistics.

Many thanks,
Tom
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Tom B82, Where are you based? I know that a couple of years back there was a snowHeads weekend in Aviemore and some of the London based sHs took the overnight sleeper up to Aviemore. I believe the sleeper service also runs to Fort William (for Nevis Range ski area). However you'd have to book some time in advance and take a bit of a gamble on the snow conditions. If you are driving it's often best to wait until a few days before and see which Scottish resort has the best conditions, then book your accommodation.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd be heading from the south coast, people keep telling me getting to the alps is cheaper, but every time i look at the numbers they are very wrong. (Also i want to give scotland a go, and a weekend seems a better bet than a full week.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've wondered about doing something similar myself. I used the Caledonian Sleeper train to get to Aviemore this summer and thought about doing the same for a ski trip in the winter.

The advice I consistently get is "do a last minute trip when the conditions are good". The downsides of this are (i) that's what everyone else is doing, so it will likely be busy and (ii) last minute train tickets are a lot more expensive. If you could do a couple of days midweek when the conditions are right rather than at a weekend you would likely find the slopes a lot less crowded.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Easy enough to do, you need to be flexible because conditions can change very fast. Given a decent base you need to look for the resort with light winds and good vis. Lack of snow you can see coming but high wind can write off a day at very short notice. The good news is that the spread between east and West means you have a good chance of getting somewhere.

All the areas are out of town. Nevis (Fort William) and Cairngorm (Aviemore) are closest to towns, but it is still a drive to the base so a car will give you flexibility. You can get last minute accomm depending on the weather. Aviemore town is about the only place where ski bookings actually affect availability so look for somewhere along the road close to an area or areas of your choice.

The areas,

Glencoe, personal favourite, it has some of the best skiing but does have the least infrastructure. A new tow this year should help keep the beginners moving and let people get to the higher runs. It is out in the wilds but the access by road is very good (until the last mile if they run out of grit Toofy Grin )

Nevis, close to Fort William so easy to stay nearby. I have found it very exposed to the wind, maybe because I have to drive past Glencoe to get there so tend to stop at the coe on the best days. has a big backcountry bowl area.

Glenshee, this is the most extensive area, feels big and varied and there should be a new chair this year. The best in my opinion for families or if you want something less rugged than Glencoe. The access road can get shut quite easily which is the biggest downside.

Lecht, quite simple short runs but very sheltered and opens when others are windbound

Cairngorm, I wouldn't recommend it at the moment. A lot of effort has gone into the railway at the expense of other lifts, can be very crowded and more expensive. It is owned by a "tourist attraction" company and skiing doesn't seem to top their priorities at the moment.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've done it for the last couple of years, but I can drive up from Yurksha in a few hours.

The first time I skied Nevis, Glencoe and Cairngorm over three days whilst they were enjoying fantastic conditions. That year Nevis was very limited in extent, icey and the back was shut, Glencoe was nearly fully open as was Cairngorm

The next year the weather was more "Scottish" so we skied mainly at Glencoe. We did ski Nevis the first day as Glencoe was shut due to wind. Not much open though and it was raining, but at least we skied. For the next couple of days we skied Glencoe, but the top was shut due to too much snow burying the lifts and it was pretty cloudy and wet.

I'll be planning to pop up again this year I think, and will stop near Glencoe in a pub with a cracking drying room wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've done it a few times. Whilst it's great to support the Scottish ski industry you need to realise that the climate is more sub-arctic than alpine. The wind often plays a massive part in your enjoyment of the ski areas. I'd check the weather before going.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mosha Marc, Let me know when youre going up and if there's room i'll POP UP with you and share fuel? So long as its a weekend I'm good, but not if its raining, or -10C and Baltic windy!

I've only ever skied in Scotland once because my view has always been by the time we've driven all the ways from Yorkshire we're back of the queue after 8m other locals but if its half decent and there's a few going I'll resurrect some old planks and join you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've done Nevis (Fort William) twice on the train, it's a simple bus journey from Fort William which will still run even with heavy snow...unlike what I've heard of the bus from Aviemore to Cairngorm. You need to book the train at least a couple of months ahead (there's a magic time to get the cheapest tickets which I cant remember), which goes against everything everyone says about leaving it late for conditions but it will save you over £100! Both times I paid around £70 return from Birmingham.

You need to go with the mindset of visiting Scotland with the chance of getting some skiing in.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I also flew to Aberdeen and got picked up by mates however if there's 2 or 3 of you it might work out reasonable to rent a car for 3 days or so?

It will be a long drive from the south coast though!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Tom B82, I'm on the South Coast too. I can be in Chamonix sooner than I will get to Cairngorm -- and the lift ticket is about the same. You can get cheaper travel if you book ahead -- but then you will need to be flexible (= have a car) so that you can get to where the snow is. Note that I did not say "where the snow is best".

Scottish skiing is a whole different thing from the Alps --- and it can be wonderful... but at the weekends, if the conditions are good, every single skier who lives north of Watford Gap will also there
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So if we waited till he weather is looking good staying in fort william with a car and taking a choice between nevis and glencoe would work?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Col the Yeti wrote:
Easy enough to do, you need to be flexible because conditions can change very fast. Given a decent base you need to look for the resort with light winds and good vis. Lack of snow you can see coming but high wind can write off a day at very short notice. The good news is that the spread between east and West means you have a good chance of getting somewhere.

All the areas are out of town. Nevis (Fort William) and Cairngorm (Aviemore) are closest to towns, but it is still a drive to the base so a car will give you flexibility. You can get last minute accomm depending on the weather. Aviemore town is about the only place where ski bookings actually affect availability so look for somewhere along the road close to an area or areas of your choice.

The areas,

Glencoe, personal favourite, it has some of the best skiing but does have the least infrastructure. A new tow this year should help keep the beginners moving and let people get to the higher runs. It is out in the wilds but the access by road is very good (until the last mile if they run out of grit Toofy Grin )

Nevis, close to Fort William so easy to stay nearby. I have found it very exposed to the wind, maybe because I have to drive past Glencoe to get there so tend to stop at the coe on the best days. has a big backcountry bowl area.

Glenshee, this is the most extensive area, feels big and varied and there should be a new chair this year. The best in my opinion for families or if you want something less rugged than Glencoe. The access road can get shut quite easily which is the biggest downside.

Lecht, quite simple short runs but very sheltered and opens when others are windbound

Cairngorm, I wouldn't recommend it at the moment. A lot of effort has gone into the railway at the expense of other lifts, can be very crowded and more expensive. It is owned by a "tourist attraction" company and skiing doesn't seem to top their priorities at the moment.

Excellent analysis.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
I've done it a few times. Whilst it's great to support the Scottish ski industry you need to realise that the climate is more sub-arctic than alpine. The wind often plays a massive part in your enjoyment of the ski areas. I'd check the weather before going.

This is very true.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Tom B82,

Quote:

So if we waited till he weather is looking good staying in fort william with a car and taking a choice between nevis and glencoe would work?

The weather can be very changeable ---- so be prepared to have your plans changed ! You may want to wait to book your accommodation depending on where the snow is and the wind isn't. Fort William good for Glencoe/Nevis , somewhere further east for Cairngorm/The Lecht and further still for Glenshee.
snow conditions
Skiing Scotland is rather Catch 22.
If conditions are good, you can't get there coz the roads are closed or blocked.
If you can get there, then the conditions will be rubbish.

Even if you manage to get there in good conditions, the weather in the morning will be very different in the afternoon.
I've seen it go from lovely sunshine to gales and hale, and back to lovely sunshine in a morning.

So plan for all weathers
And take your walking boots.
If all else fails, you can pass a pleasant day in Scottish pub drinking whisky and beer, and playing dominos with the locals.
Beware if they suggest playing for money . . .
snow report
I got a call from a mate a few years ago who was up in Scotland and he said you need to get up here now!! Within half an hour, we had our stuff together and where in the car heading North.
We Googled accommodation & booked a B&B in Fort William on the journey up. It took us about 6 hours to get there after driving across the moor in driving snow.

We had never ridden in Scotland before but what a weekend we had, the snow was fantastic, like Champagne powder. The wind got up towards the back end of Sunday and what an experience that was.....first time I have ever been blown up a piste.

Scotland is fantastic if you get the weather,but you have to work for your riding. There are no high speed super comfy chairs, it's Pomas and T's. If your ok with that Scotland has got to be on everyone's list of places to go.
latest report
I live an hour and a bit from glenshee and my first lesson was there. Your lift pass for the tiny baby lesson slope, was not included in the lesson price. Had to buy 2 at £15 each even though we'd just paid a decent amount for the lessons This kind of put a sour taste in my mouth personally. Then a further 15ish each to upgrade our passes to use the other lifts later.

Conditions.. i was sweating all day because i lucked out on a brilliant day. Loads of snow, lovely sun. Slight clouding by 3/4pm.

After my lessons and practice, i felt like a pro, flying down that slope, turning in and out of cones, jumping over obstacles, so went to the green slope (bearing in mind i had one 1 hour lesson at this point) this felt like a cliff. A cliff which i never made it down once without a trip on my backside haha. Actually cant wait to go to this one this year upon first snowfall to see how easy it is now i can actually ski. Ill report back.

The button lift, well this thing felt like a rocket. Really, it shot me off so fast my ski's were pretty much left behind me, while i had to slide back down the hill to try again, atleast a kid was nice enough to join me in the falling over. Twice. The same kid i later found falling off it near the top, i just breezed by him like a pro Very Happy

Bring your own juice etc, an irn bru was 3x the price if i remember. Although i will say, in the ski shop my gf seen a lovely thin jacket, all the fancie sleeve pockets etc. She wanted it, we expected it to be 100's.. £25. Bargain. Sadly the cool gloves i wanted was £100 and i couldnt bring myself to do it haha. Instead i treated my self to a near £3 bottle of fanta.

The car park is not the best for a car running low profiles, its basically one big pot hole. I could have planted some plants in the mud that was on my car when i got home lol.

All n all it was a very good place, runs looked good with plenty of them. bit pricey, suppose all ski places are.
latest report
Do NOT take your good skis that's all I can say...

I had one of the best skiing days there once (loads of snow, lovely sun as above, wall to wall blue sky) - it was a Friday and very quiet.
Immediately followed by one of the worst days. Everyone was up from Glasgow and Edinburgh (24 hrs too late for the good weather it turned out) meaning huge queues, inadequate uplift and generally poor skiing. Off piste heather skiing was required as the gale had blown much of the snow away on the west side of glenshee. then they opened up the (unpisted) bowl across the road in a whiteout. It felt like carnage. then the pommer through me off. I was so pissed off - it was meant to be my prep for the Alps but instead I regressed to hardly able to snowplough (admittedly I was less experienced then but even now I would not want to repeat it).

So one of the best days Smile
and one of the worst days Sad in my skiing life. Choose your weather window carefully!

suec
snow report
I honestly think if you live on the South Coast (like me) it would be quicker and easier to jump on a plane from Southampton to Chambery and go to Brides Les Bains.

Scotland sounds too unpredictable and a ballache to get to - and too crowded if the conditions are good!
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
I honestly think if you live on the South Coast (like me) it would be quicker and easier to jump on a plane from Southampton to Chambery and go to Brides Les Bains.

Scotland sounds too unpredictable and a ballache to get to - and too crowded if the conditions are good!

Indeed, from anywhere in the South it makes far more sense to go to the Alps. Sadly, that's why I'll probably never ski in Scotland. It just doesn't make much sense when you look at the costs, logistics and the probability of getting decent snow and decent weather when you get there.
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:

On the other hand you don't really have the right to call yourself British skier til you've been blown off a drag at the Gorm and dropped in off Lemming Ridge in a whiteout. You're just a tourist who skis til then wink
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
@Mosha Marc, Let me know when youre going up and if there's room i'll POP UP with you and share fuel? So long as its a weekend I'm good, but not if its raining, or -10C and Baltic windy!

I've only ever skied in Scotland once because my view has always been by the time we've driven all the ways from Yorkshire we're back of the queue after 8m other locals but if its half decent and there's a few going I'll resurrect some old planks and join you.

I'll keep you posted fella snowHead
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

On the other hand you don't really have the right to call yourself British skier til you've been blown off a drag at the Gorm and dropped in off Lemming Ridge in a whiteout. You're just a tourist who skis til then wink

Fine by me Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I live in London now but come from Dundee .weekends at glenshee are like a zoo if there is snow never mind good conditions. If conditions are good go during the week and it will be really quiet.myself and my mates are self employed so we used to just take the day off and go .Even used to bunk my son off school for the day and take him.( some things are more important than school)
Weather can be Arctic rather than alpine ,however , I have skied in some amazing conditions and never bothered going when it was too mild.
If you want a better all round weekend Aviemore is a great place for a couple of days. But be aware that if its been snowing or windy overnight you will sit in the cafe for ages waiting on the railway being dug out.
snow conditions
Quote:
and too crowded if the conditions are good
Definitely applicable to Cairngorm and Glenshee; possible but not generally the case at Glencoe; but have NEVER seen that apply at Nevis Range (nor at The Lecht but I'm assuming that that wouldn't be on your to do list as it's very small - still some good skiing though....).

After 27 years of skiing in Scotland I cannot reiterate the earlier tip enough: You cannot plan more than a few days ahead - you must check the forecast carefully and be prepared to either load up the car and hit the road - or abort, depending on the forecast. For that reason, I'd forget booking early train tickets.

More often than not, the snow is pretty decent and plentiful and the season is long - May is not unknown, especially at Cairngorm. However, the wind is the big issue. We've learned from bitter experience that skiing in anything above 30mph winds can be sheer misery - especially a headwind. We once endured 55mph - which was rather scary and felt life threatening...

You will always get accommodation - there are so many options available. If you were to drive, the following places would be just about driveable on day 1 from the south coast - with the ski areas then being within 1-3 hours further on your next (first ski) day. All have cheap Travelodges too:

- Edinburgh area
- Dunfermline
- Perth
All areas are doable from the above locations.

Or, for the west coast areas:
- Dumbarton/Paisley/Glasgow Airport areas.

If you travel with an open mind; don't expect Alps infrastructure and facilities; accept it for what it is; and pick reasonable weather you could have a whale of a time. Scottish skiing is just different - but highly enjoyable nevertheless. We live 250-300 miles from the ski areas but love it up there and go up 8 or 10 times (sometimes more) on weekends each season (in addition to the Alps or other places abroad).

Here are a few on and off piste pics from the last few winters (the last two are a ski touring powder/spring snow day at Glencoe on 30 May 2015):

latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

So in your opinion if I travel the 550 miles from Hampshire to Aviemore I am not a tourist. Have you informed "Visit Scotland" that the English are not tourists, as they appear to be misinformed on that question?
snow report
Quote:

a weekend seems a better bet than a full week.

If at all possible, widweek is by far the best option. As others have said, it can get very busy at weekends, esp. if the weather forecast is good.
Last minute really is the way to go, it is not uncommon for resorts to be closed because they are stormbound. We stay about an hour from Cairngorm and the Lecht and have long given up on saying "we are all free in a fortnight- lets go skiing". For you it is a trade off between cheap travel and the possibility of no skiing at all v's short notice expensive travel and good skiing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To be quite honest, unless you live north of sheffield, you're better off getting a budget airline flight to Geneva, Turin or Venice and getting a bus to the nearest ski resort. It will cost about the same, take far less time and you'll have a lot better weekend of skiing
snow conditions
I don't see how people seem to manage to make flights and then busses etc plus accom not booked in advance come out cheaper than 3 people sharing a 12 hour drive to scotland, plus accom.

Unless accomodation is super expensive in scotland i just can't work it out.
snow report
@Tom B82, Cham is 633 miles from my house. Aviemore is 573. According to Google Aviemore is 14 minutes nearer. Diesel is cheaper in France -- but you have tolls and a crossing to pay. On the other hand you won't be on the M25 or M6 ! When you get to Cham you won't need to drive anywhere...

A day ticket for Cairngorm is £35. A day ticket for Chamonix (all areas) is £42.... I've not looked at accom/food but I would be surprised if there was a huge difference.
latest report
^ yip : if you live in south of England then you couldn't be much further in Europe from the snow.
a weekends skiing will never be cheap or easy to arrange Wink

most people who ski in Scotland live within 2-4hrs drive of the slopes - and can plan their weekends skiing on the Friday night.
for the 20 million people who live in the northern half of UK an opportunistic weekend in Scotland will always be a cheaper option than skiing in the alps.
especially if you can fill a car with 3 or 4 people. accommodation can almost always be found last minute during winter time in Scotland.
comparing Scotland with holidaymaker resorts alps is kind of dumb - very different experiences and demographics.

lots of good advice above. basically watch the weather / snow & web cams and go at the last minute when conditions are good.

www.winterhighland.com is probably the main resource.

www.mwis.org.uk is the best online weather resource.

p.s great pictures above.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 11-11-15 14:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Tom B82, I agree, if you are mates sharing a car and ok with travelodge etc then you can definitely do Scotland cheaper. The downside for a lot of people is the "12hr" drive which is probably an overestimate. I can do from North of Glasgow to the far end of Cornwall in that time. (6hrs from round Birmingham to Glasgow is a guide). A flight may only be 2 hrs but there is at least 2-3hrs of faff at either end unless you live on the perimeter track at Gatwick, so door to door it is not much worse to drive north. My problem with weekends by plane has always been flight times, you are tied to set flights which never seem to match the time you finish work. A weekend easily turns into 2 days skiing in 4 days because you can't work friday and still get a flight and the flight back leaves too early to ski sunday.

If you are really budget minded there are bunkhouses/hostels serving walkers on the West Highland Way around Tyndrum/Crianlarich which are well located for Glencoe/Nevis, and not bad for Glenshee
ski holidays
If you do drive, trafficscotland.org gives live camera feed of the roads, to let you see the current conditions. It's very handy.
snow report
Tom B82 wrote:
I don't see how people seem to manage to make flights and then busses etc plus accom not booked in advance come out cheaper than 3 people sharing a 12 hour drive to scotland, plus accom..

I don't know 3 people who'd want to drive from Hampshire to ski in Scotland and even if I did, the chances of organising that to fit around 1. my work 2. other people's diaries and 3. the weather are close to zero.

It's not really a matter of the money anyway. It's a matter of best use of scarce free time.
snow report
dogwatch wrote:
Tom B82 wrote:
I don't see how people seem to manage to make flights and then busses etc plus accom not booked in advance come out cheaper than 3 people sharing a 12 hour drive to scotland, plus accom..

I don't know 3 people who'd want to drive from Hampshire to ski in Scotland and even if I did, the chances of organising that to fit around 1. my work 2. other people's diaries and 3. the weather are close to zero.
It's not really a matter of the money anyway. It's a matter of best use of scarce free time.

if I lived down south I would probably ski in the alps too.
... I would also probably ski many fewer days that I currently manage.
Distance wise London is roughly halfway between Morzine and Fort William - about 800 miles either way Wink

Living in the central belt of Scotland a days skiing can cost me fuel plus the cost of a day pass - £25-35.
FWIW : usually get 20+ days out of my £280 season pass. There is no way the alps could be "cheaper".
ski holidays
having learned in Scotland from age 4, when we were young we just took what was available. Including a day's fun with the school riding up a farmer's field on a rope two constructed out of an old tractor and the other wheel on a post. Health and safety be damned.

Later and still living in Edinburgh, I volunteered with an adaptive ski club. Out of, I can't recall, 12 planned weekends over 3 years we managed one, and it didn't involve skiing.

If and only if you're able to decide at midnight on a Friday night (or whatever) that you're skiing on Saturday does it reasonably work on comparison the the Alps, where you can reasonably (mid-season) book a year in advance.
latest report
We try and do one trip up for a midweek break.
10 hrs drive to the mighty Coe from St Ives. 2 of us share the driving. Cost us about £150 in fuel. Think 2 nights B and B at the glencoe inn was £50 a night per room and lift pass was £25 a day midweek.

Didn't go last year as the week we had off it wasn't worth it. Hopefully will be up the last week in Feb this year weather dependant. We never use it as a substitute to a holiday. Just a bonus few days if the conditions are right.

I always look forward to seeing how things have improved each time I go up. A far cry from having to walk over the plateau back in my day.

Will probably try and get a day at Nevis this year as the wife hasn't been yet and the views are out of this world if you can see them. Very Happy
snow conditions
dogwatch wrote:

So in your opinion if I travel the 550 miles from Hampshire to Aviemore I am not a tourist. Have you informed "Visit Scotland" that the English are not tourists, as they appear to be misinformed on that question?

No that would be to call you dedicated. I may be a mushy hearted romantic but there is something special about opportunities to ski in your own country in the widest sense. I've greatly enjoyed skiing the North Downs, at Raise and in Scotland and in fact had one of my all time most memorable low days late April one year at Cairngorm.

You can always tell somewhat who has grown up skiing in Scotland by a certain bombproof skiing style in mixed conditions.
latest report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
if I lived down south I would probably ski in the alps too.
... I would also probably ski many fewer days that I currently manage.

There's a great deal to be said for living in Scotland. Unfortunately in my line of work, making good money isn't one of them. I have sometimes wondered if at age 18 I might have better chosen a career path that can be pursued anywhere. But it's a bit late now.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 11-11-15 18:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy