Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

REGA / Air Glaciers - What is the benefit for me?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I wanted identify any benefit I would achieve from join up with REGA or Air Glaciers . They only cost 30 CHF.

I will be spending a fair bit of time in the Swiss Valais and less so in the Berner Oberland. I will mainly be skiing on UIAGM guided trips but will probably do some piste skiing in Switzerland.

Being resident in Australia has made it relatively hard to find Ski insurance that will explicitly covers ski mountaineering on glaciated terrain including the use of ropes. I have spent a lot of time looking at various alpine clubs like BMC & AAC and unfortunately they are not available or suitable for me. I have ended up purchasing travel insurance with ihi.com who are based in Denmark.

So since I have purchased travel insurance that provides both rescue and medical costs whilst ski mountaineering what benefit would I get from Rega or Air Glaciers? It is not really clear to me what both these organisations do, so any explanations would be helpful.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Harbord, I'm pretty sure that this has been mentioned before. Try a search on here for the keywords.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowbunny, Well you are a better person than me if you have found search hits that describe REGA and/or Air-Glaciers Rescue insurance. I search and not found an answer.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Harbord, I will go look later, watch this space!! Very Happy

Found something, not a lot though Very Happy
..From Insurance Carte Neige thread
http://www2.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=14372&highlight=rescue+air+glaciers+rega#14372

ise

You can get repatriation cover here in Switzerland from these guys http://www.air-glaciers.ch/

It's a minefield really, I have health from Progress/Helsana, accident from Alpina both provided by my employer. Mrs Ise has Swiss health from Intras and German based health including some accident cover from her German employer. Then we've a German travel policy which probably no longer covers me and the Carte Neige. I also assume despite being Swiss resident I'm covered by E111 while Mrs must be having joint German/Swiss resident status and a UK passport.

Understanding the overlaps and gaps in the coverage is hard

I hope this is of some use Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowbunny, thanks, that's about it.

Mrs Ise and I both have Air Glaciers, it's a basic evacuation cover from pretty much anywhere, so for example I'm in Les Arcs currently and I'm covered. But, it's a Swiss product for that marketplace and designed to supplement the statutory insurances we have.

It might well make a good supplement if you've a good travel policy.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We bought German Ski Club insurance (and membership) with our skis. You don't have to live in Germany and it covers mountain rescue, theft, breakage etc throughout Europe at least (and the rest of the world? need to check). I'm actually thinking of upgrading the insurance level on it as the top level covers all sorts of things.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And one for ise: we obviously have our normal Swiss health insurance; we also have an annual travel policy from Mobiliar and now this DSV insurance - that should cover pretty much everything shouldn't it? Is there anything else you'd recommend? And presumably with those three, we don't need to worry about carre neige this year?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And one for ise: we obviously have our normal Swiss health insurance; we also have an annual travel policy from Mobiliar and now this DSV insurance - that should cover pretty much everything shouldn't it? Is there anything else you'd recommend? And presumably with those three, we don't need to worry about carre neige this year?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eng_ch, sounds like you're well covered to me. In fact, the DSV sounds better than what we've got, at least I ought to have looked into it when we lived in Germany Happy I've heard of these policies being available with new skis though, Stockli insure just the skis not the person.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have Air Glaciers and wouldn't leave home without it (in Suisse). Also try BMC, they offer some good insurance...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Harbord wrote:
So since I have purchased travel insurance that provides both rescue and medical costs whilst ski mountaineering what benefit would I get from Rega or Air Glaciers? It is not really clear to me what both these organisations do, so any explanations would be helpful.

I still trying to understand what additional benefit REGA / Air Glaciers provides if you already have rescue & medical insurance. Does REGA / Air Glaciers 'just smooth the way' of getting air lifted off the mountain in Switzerland?

Also it is hard to make sense of REGA / Air Glaciers coverage. REGA seems to imply that they cover whole of Switzerland except Valias. Whilst Air Glaciers I have no idea as its in French and the web translation tools don't provide clarity for me.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You're probably covered anyway, ise, but this is the German one:

http://www.ski-online.de/content.php?folder=976

There's also a comparison page which I can't link to owing to a popup blocker.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Harbord wrote:
Harbord wrote:

I still trying to understand what additional benefit REGA / Air Glaciers provides if you already have rescue & medical insurance. Does REGA / Air Glaciers 'just smooth the way' of getting air lifted off the mountain in Switzerland?

First, I have to say I've never heard of REGA Very Happy But, that's exactly what Air Glaciers is, the coverage is outside Switzerland as well, I can't recall exactly where without looking.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ise wrote:
First, I have to say I've never heard of REGA

See http://www.rega.ch/en/rega/start_rega_einsatzschweiz.aspx?pid=040202000000
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
REGA are based more over our way. But then I'd never heard of Air Glaciers either Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy