Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Planning a pretty wild international winter- now taking advice

Poster: A snowHead
wow, lots of good feedback here. Thank you all so much.

Let me answer some questions:
Hitting as many countries as possible the possible is kind of neat- not a requirement. I'd love to try a few different resorts, and my thought was that if I'm snowboarding and trying different resorts, I might as well get a few different countries in there too!

I'll be on the trail a lot because I'm traveling alone. I'm a pretty good snowboarder. I never question if a run is too hard for me in the States and I've been just about everywhere in the States. I can't imagine a marked trail being too tough for me.

Night life is a huge plus. I'm traveling alone. No night life means I'm alone all night. I'm also good at being drunk, so that helps.

I am flying using miles, so I can fly into and out of different airports. That's not a problem. Innsburck seems to be the only airport I cant get to with American Airlines. So Austria doesn't look so great.

Definitely not going to rent a car. I just don't want to deal with the headache.

Budget? Yes and no. I'm not willing to pay $400 (USD) per night. I don't mind a short walk or short shuttle ride, it doesn't have to be on the mountain.

So how about this? Give me two good resorts that I should hit up that are relatively close and accessible by public transportation with the above criteria. I'll do 3 or 4 days at each resort. Flying out of Paris is ideal, but a secondary consideration.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Two good neighbouring resorts, 10 miles apart, linked by a public bus or taxi: Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang-Fieberbrunn (one resort) and Zell am See/Kaprun (the other). Only one country though. Fly to Salzburg, then train to Zell am See. No Matterhorn - but a Kitzsteinhorn! Buy a Kitzbueheler Alpen card for 7 days for 253 euros and it will cover those two large areas plus Kitzbuehel, the Skiwelt and more besides. 10 ski areas, 1,000km of piste and 357 lifts.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 12-11-15 1:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Two good neighbouring resorts, 10 miles apart, linked by a public bus or taxi: Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang-Fieberbrunn (one resort) and Zell am See/Kaprun (the other). Only one country though. Fly to Salzburg, then train to Zell am See. No Matterhorn - but a Kitzsteinhorn!

Haha, I was thinking a little further apart. If I'm going across the world, I'd like to see some different areas.

Sorry if I'm being nit-picky. What I'm envisioning might not even exist.
Airport (don't care which one) to train/shuttle to slopes, snowboard for a few days, pack up at night and go to another resort, wake up the next morning and snowboard for a few days, then somehow get back to the airport (ideally, Paris)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm narrowing it down to two incomplete options:
1) Flying into Milan, Snowboarding in Zermatt, then going to ??????
2) Flying into Milan, snowboarding in the Milky Way and then going to ????? (maybe 3 valleys?)

Either second leg should be of reasonable access (not necessarily close- train ride is fine) to some big airport, hopefully in a city worth spending a few days in. Paris being #1 on that list, which I recognize is a really far stretch due to geography

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 12-11-15 1:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1b) Flying into Milan, Snowboarding in Cervinia (allows access over the border into Zermatt), then going up the valley to Courmayeur and into Chamonix. From there Paris is easy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1c) 1b) Flying into Milan, Snowboarding in Cervinia (allows access over the border into Zermatt), then going up the valley to La Thuile and over the border into La Rossiere. From there, 3V is easy as is Paris.

For this plan though, you will need to take your luggage with you as you ski over into La Rossiere as the road route round is hours and it defeats the point of skiing over the boarder if you have to ski back to where you came from then drive all the way round.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 12-11-15 1:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
admin wrote:
1b) Flying into Milan, Snowboarding in Cervinia (allows access over the border into Zermatt), then going up the valley to Courmayeur and into Chamonix. From there Paris is easy.

This sounds perfect.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Milan - Cervinia is only 2 hrs by road.
Cervinia - Courmayeur is 1h15

If you can carry your bag easily (and you're a bit gnarly), ride down from Courmayeur into Chamonix.
If not, get a bus through the Mont Blanc Tunnel.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@abc, my thoughts for a fourth and a well known resort would be a day trip to St Anton from Zurich by the direct train, and using Zurich as an airport either coming in or out.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
admin wrote:

If you can carry your bag easily (and you're a bit gnarly), ride down from Courmayeur into Chamonix.

Eh, I'm packing for 2 weeks. I don't think that's a good idea, lol!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is always something! Paris to DFW has awful flight options for me, but I think I'll just go to Paris, spend a day or two and then train over to London Saturday, live it up Saturday night and drag my hung over self to the airport for my 7am flight back to the States. Otherwise, I'm spending a night in the worst place on Earth - Newark.

How do I get from Courmayeur to Paris?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You might want to route thru amsterdam. Now there's a cool city for a few days either side of a transatlantic leg.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is always something. Every trip I can book (online), requires going through British Airways, which requires a $1000 tax. Grrr....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think Courmayeur to Paris involve 2 options. -1. Turn back into Italy and head to Turin or Milan and fly up to Paris (boring option) OR...2 more in keeping with your adventure-Bus to Chamonix (45mins), then, after a bit more time on the mountains, trains from Chamonix to Paris. Sorted! https://loco2.com/destinations/paris-chamonix-train#tgv-and-mont-blanc-express
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@godspeed, Fly into Zurich or Munich - then get yourself to Ischgl! Probably the best all round apres ski in the alps (world probs). Then you get to cross off skiing in Switzerland (link to Samnaun) at the same time.

Transfer isnt too bad.
latest report
Perty wrote:
I think Courmayeur to Paris involve 2 options. -1. Turn back into Italy and head to Turin or Milan and fly up to Paris (boring option) OR...2 more in keeping with your adventure-Bus to Chamonix (45mins), then, after a bit more time on the mountains, trains from Chamonix to Paris. Sorted! https://loco2.com/destinations/paris-chamonix-train#tgv-and-mont-blanc-express

I did Courmaieur to Paris by train and it was fun. Bus from courmayeur yo chamonix, which takes you right to the trin station. Take train, it involves a change, but it is hpping from a regional train to a TGV on the same platform, really easy and no fuss at all.
snow report
I think the Cervinia Zermatt idea is great. Cervinia has long easy runs, bathed in sunshine whilst Zermatt has some really serious skiing. You could even ski with an overnight bag, spend teh night in Switzerland and then ski back the next day. I'm sure your accomodation in Cervinia would have a lock up to leave your stuff. Zermatt is a lovely, if rather expensive town with amazing views of the Matterhorn

Courmayeur is a real old authentic town. Quite a small ski resort but worth a days skiing. Cham is the mountainists capital of the world and you'll have a blast. It also has the biggest vertical in the world and Zermatt is not far off either. This will be very different to North America.

If you're in to off piste you could also look at Gressoney in the Aosta valley. With a guide you can get from there to Zermatt too, I believe.

Im sure that, if you post where your going to be and when, some Snowheads in the area will meet you for a board or a beer.

If you contact Nexus Snowcamps they have a snowboarding camp based out of Aosta for the winter I believe. If you say Snowheads pointed you their way they may go out of their way to help you.
(They got in to a bit of trouble by posting their own reviews on here last year and have since vowed to prove they are a bunch of good people) They may be worth a try.
snow conditions
godspeed wrote:
admin wrote:

Eh, I'm packing for 2 weeks. I don't think that's a good idea, lol!

So what's that, 2 pairs of base layers, 2 pairs of socks and 2 pairs of pants, no problem Very Happy
ski holidays
I think you`ll be knackered.

Why not pick one awesome massive resort one week and another the next? You`ll stand more of a chance of meeting people to ride with.
snow report
+1 Travel between two distant areas by public transport is likely to cost you some ski time. What are your dates? Finding accommodation which isn't Sat/Sat or sometimes Sun/Sun can be tricky in busy times and could restrict your options.
snow conditions
In/out of Zurich, from where you can hit St Anton (Austria) and Engelberg (or any of many Swiss resorts) by train.
latest report
I think @Nadenoodlee, has a point. Try and do toomuch and the whole thing could be a logisticalnightmare is just one link goes wrong.

I'd look at fly to Milan or Turin, to Aosta valley, stay in LaThile (train/bus to there isn't difficult or coach transfer), ski there and LaRosiere, France and day trips to Courmayeur (daily bus inc on ski pass) and Pila (not sure about direct bus but ski bus into valley then short trip on the train to Aosta then bubble lift from there. Then move on to Chamonix with a coach transfer through the Monte Blanc tunnel. then onward from there to Paris/Amterdam/etc.
ski holidays
the best public transport network is in Switzerland.

fly into Zurich, do a resort in eastern Switzerland for the 1st half. Then a resort in western Switzerland the 2nd half. Fly out of Geneva.

that said, the OP is doing this backward. If you're flying with miles, you need to pick the airport you can actually use your miles for first.

Better yet, find out which airport you can fly from DFW direct. Because the more legs you have transfer, the more likely to hit some fine print that cost you an arm and a leg. Welcome to the world of frequent flyer miles, where you can theoretically use for any airport and any time while in practice there's no seat available for most of the sensible legs.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 12-11-15 15:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
A really good way back to paris is on the train from the Tarentaise valley from either Bourg St Maurice or Moutiers. From here you have access to the 3V (the largest linked ski area in the world) where Meribel has some cracking night life, or Espace Killy. Val d'Isere again has great night life and the ski area is truly world class. I would say either of these two should be on any one's list from over the pond.

If I was then wanting a complete contrast I would have to say St. Anton in Austria (flying into Innsbruck) again amazing night life and epic skiing with a very different flavour to that of the French resorts.

Zermatt would also be on any hardcore enthusiasts bucketlist, but having been there I would say while the skiing may be great I wouldn't advise it for a solo trip. I'd go there on a romantic break away with my wife, but I wouldn't say it is a great place for apres, for a single person. It's also horrendously expensive.
latest report
@Markymark29,

Cross border hire car charges! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Mountainaddict hasn't slept since that episode (& since he learned of El Niño after booking Fernie for next Feb...) Toofy Grin
snow report
godspeed wrote:
wow, lots of good feedback here. Thank you all so much.

Let me answer some questions:
Hitting as many countries as possible the possible is kind of neat- not a requirement. I'd love to try a few different resorts, and my thought was that if I'm snowboarding and trying different resorts, I might as well get a few different countries in there too!

I'll be on the trail a lot because I'm traveling alone. I'm a pretty good snowboarder. I never question if a run is too hard for me in the States and I've been just about everywhere in the States. I can't imagine a marked trail being too tough for me.

Night life is a huge plus. I'm traveling alone. No night life means I'm alone all night. I'm also good at being drunk, so that helps.

I am flying using miles, so I can fly into and out of different airports. That's not a problem. Innsburck seems to be the only airport I cant get to with American Airlines. So Austria doesn't look so great.

Definitely not going to rent a car. I just don't want to deal with the headache.

Budget? Yes and no. I'm not willing to pay $400 (USD) per night. I don't mind a short walk or short shuttle ride, it doesn't have to be on the mountain.

So how about this? Give me two good resorts that I should hit up that are relatively close and accessible by public transportation with the above criteria. I'll do 3 or 4 days at each resort. Flying out of Paris is ideal, but a secondary consideration.

Ah, that clarifies things and sounds a lot more sensible than my original interpretation Happy

So, public transport, good nightlife, one or two different areas? Easy. Too easy in fact, there are loads of options Happy

Don't rule out Austria, you can fly to Salzburg, Zurich or Munich right? All are good for Austria. In fact, if you are using public transport I would focus on Austria and Switzerland. The big French resorts tend to be a bit harder to get to via public transport. Not impossible at all, but for ease of access you can't beat St. Anton as it's on a main train line.

You could look at Flying in to Zurich, there are regular trains or shuttle buses to Engelberg from there. It's a small town but there's good nightlife to be had and a lot of Scandinavians (which pretty much means it's English speaking Happy . After a few days there hop back on the train and head to Austria - it means going back through Zurich, but it's a pretty fast connection from Zurich so you won't lose out on skiing (or boarding) time if you plan it right.

However, my personal choice would be to skip Switzerland, it's just too expensive. I'd fly in to Munich and first head to St Anton. Ignore anyone who claims Ischgl is better for nightlife, they are wrong, St Anton has the best nightlife. Ischgl might be OK if you speak Russian.

If you base yourself in St Anton or just outside, (e.g. St Jakob is much cheaper and a very short and free bus ride away) you can ski there, Lech and Warth all on one ticket.

Then for a bit of variety go back East on the train and head to somewhere like Kitzbuhel, or even take a train over the Brenner to the Italian Dolomites - Selva is very easy to get to on public transport - get off the train at Ponte de Gardena and take a bus for about 40 minutes and you're in the middle of the most stunning mountains on the planet. Night life there is a lot quieter than Austria, but there are a couple of great bars so you'll find somewhere to get a beer and meet people, the skiing and scenery are completely different to Austria so it would be a good contrast.
snow conditions
@sah,
Quote:

Ignore anyone who claims Ischgl is better for nightlife, they are wrong, St Anton has the best nightlife. Ischgl might be OK if you speak Russian

Haha, everyone is entitled to an opinion Very Happy
snow conditions
AthersT wrote:
@sah,
Quote:

Ignore anyone who claims Ischgl is better for nightlife, they are wrong, St Anton has the best nightlife. Ischgl might be OK if you speak Russian

Haha, everyone is entitled to an opinion Very Happy

It's the internet, so in fine tradition it's not even a well informed opinion. wink

Seriously, I have been to Ischgl, it has night life, I found it not so much to my liking. Maybe I missed out on the best bits. St Anton seems to suit me better. Actually I don't really care about nightlife that much anyway, I just want a decent bar for a couple of pints after skiing. The days of me staying up late are well behind me now, especially when there's powder to be had the next day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sah, I can't form a fully rounded opinion having not been to St Anton - however it seems to me the general consensus is St A = better for immediate apres 4.30-7.30 just. Then Ischgl better after dinner into the early hours, theres not much between them from what I can gather and when you add in Saalbach-Hinterglemm you can probably boast Austria has at least 3 of the top 5 apres ski resorts in the world.

"Probably" also an opinion.
snow report
St Manton does indeed have good nightlife but something of a macho sausage fest. Ischgl is kind of the same but a slightly older/richer/fatter male, a few with incredibly attractive secretaries. For a better mix I prefer places like Hinterglemm (as opposed to Saalbach) or Zillertal. What with El Nino though, @godspeed might be better off kicking around on home snow this season.
snow report
@Pruman, Admittedly the insanity of the Hinterhag Alm is an acquired taste (but I prefer it to the Goassstall) Smile Having said that, I've met people who have spent a week in Saalbach without even knowing that the Hinterhag exists!
The conclusion I've reached after many years is that, in all these resorts famed for their lively apres-ski, you need to know where to go and at what time, and then you can have good nights or not so good nights. When I stayed in St Anton, the apres-ski (including the Mooserwirt) seemed to completely pass me by, and the Krazy Kangaruh was dead. Likewise Dick's tea-bar in Val d'Isere. In both cases, I accept that their reputation must have been earned, and that I must have been there at the wrong time.
Although I don't generally enjoy the Goassstall like I used to, I fully accept that, if you hit it on the right evening, and with the right people, it will be brilliant. Similarly the Spitzbub in Saalbach will be completely different on the two evenings per week when Spacey (renowned Geordie entertainer) is performing, and Bobby's Pub is unbeatable for late evening entertainment when world-class Irish band, Cuckoo, are playing (but not so good when full of Danes watching live handball on TV).
I can't comment on Ischgl, never having been there, but I gather from comments on here that it's relatively expensive and a mite middle-aged german in flavour.
latest report
UPDATE!

Okay, so it was like solving some sort of Chinese puzzle but I figured out a way to get to Europe via American Airlines on miles without paying $1000+ in taxes. Serious mind twister, but about the only way to get it done was DFW to Paris direct and departing from Paris back to DFW. My options actually ended up being paying $1000 for taxes or $500 to buy enough miles to upgrade to first classes, so it a no brainer (though an expensive one). 25k miles later, I'm flying first class (not that I'll notice the difference, since I'll be asleep the entire time, but c'est la vie).

Now that it's Paris in, Paris out, does that change the suggestions?

Thanks again, everyone!
latest report
Take the train to Bourg and go to Val D'isere. Best piste skiing in the world for good skiers and boarders and great nightlife too.
snow report
@godspeed, that would certainly clarify my mind.

Absolute shortest travel to quality I think would be TGV (or cheap flight) to Geneva. From there you have hundreds, literally, of options. (TGV is the French very high speed train network and an experience in itself).

I'd be looking at Chamonix Valley, Espace Killy, Verbier, Portes du Soleil, all big names (for good reason) all easily reached from Geneva by public transport or shared transfer.
ski holidays
Trains go direct from Paris to places like Turin, Milan, Verona, Venice, Lausanne, Munich etc so just because Paris is in France it doesn't need to necessarily change all the suggestions and limit ski choices to just France. The pain is getting from CDG Airport via the RER with ski gear to say the Gare de Lyon via Gare de Nord, in the morning rush hour probably.
snow report
Easy to fly form Paris to Innsbruck etc too, so unless you're set on a train I don't think it makes much difference!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy