Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

April 2016 - are we too late?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone can help.....

We are looking at booking a holiday for 2nd April for 1 week, 2 Adults, 1 Child. I wondered if you thought it was too late to get a good deal? or too early?
we are open as to where to go, don't really want overly long transfers tho, also open to food options as long as price reflects what we are getting.

As I've not booked this sort of holiday before i just seem to be going round in circles with where to go and if to do a tour operator package or DIY

help please lol
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What kind of skiing are you all looking for?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chrisdjsax, school holidays, but from experience there should still be plenty of availability. We often used to book for Easter when our kids were younger.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Certainly not too late to book. We usually leave it until a few weeks before for an Easter trip. This year we've booked some flights but will leave everything else until closer the time.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IMO you are correct on both counts. Too late for early bird deals, too early for last minute deals.

I am an obsessive early Booker (I booked for Easter 2016 in early 2015, and similarly previous seasons). However I still checked last minute offers and did see good deals for Easter school holiday weeks in 2015 season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Welcome to snowheads snowHead

Do you mean it's your first ski holiday?

It's absolutely not too late but definitely too early for a last minute bargain!

If you can fill out the details about what you want, and maybe your budget, I'm sure you'll get good advice (some of it conflicting no doubt Laughing)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
we are all beginners, 1st time as an actual holiday for me and my son! somewhere nice with other things to do to maybe break it up if it gets a bit much.
Do you think we will be better waiting for a late deal now?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lol thank you, I'm confused anyway,1

we was hoping to do it all for about 2k as its a cheeky extra holiday (already have a sun holiday booked for the summer)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A DIY driving holiday would probably be a good bet as easter is low season for accommodation prices in most French resorts. But organising a ski holiday isn't easy the first time and some kids hate long car journeys. There will be some last minute bargains with tour operators and almost all ski resorts will have fun things to do if you don't get hooked on skiing.

April is late season. Look at resort closing dates. My advice would be not to book the last week of the season till much nearer the time. It can be superb but..........
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chrisdjsax, @pam w, I would agree with pam w. April is very late season, and you might end up with very poor snow, or only a few hours in the morning of skiable pistes. Plus the cheaper resorts such as Bulgaria seem to be closed by April (but I may be wrong on that point).

I think you are better waiting until early March say to book for April, and then see if there are any bargains in very high resorts such as Val Thorens in France. That way you will get a good prices and the best chance of snow. Also, you will see how the season is developing, e.g.: has there been loads of snow.

And I think that as this is your first trip, a package deal would be best, as it's nice and easy. Plus you will be able to choose self-catering, or half-board etc. If you are on a really tight budget, self-catering is good; because you can make a packed-lunch for the slopes. Note that the cheaper accommodation might well be further from the lifts; so be prepared to take a ski bus in the mornings and on your return.

Do a good search of the internet sites for the best deals; and you can always try calling them direct and just making a deal with them! The later you leave it, the better chance you will have of getting a good deal.

Don't forget your extras such as lift passes and ski hire. You can get family deals for the lift passes, and just get the local ski area option if the resort is part of a much bigger ski area. That will be much cheaper. You can book your skis online in the UK and get a good discount. And places such as Aldi and Sports Direct sell really good value ski jackets etc. Ski gear is vastly, vastly overpriced; and buying in the UK from the right places will save you a fortune.

But if you have not skied before, do make sure you get good lessons. That is one thing you don't want to scrim on, or you may get disheartened, or even worse, injured.

Good luck and enjoy the slopes!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chrisdjsax, we are a family of three and have been away for the last 6-7 Easter school holidays. I don't think we've paid more than £2k for any of them - half board, flights, transfers, lift pass, ski hire (not including spending money). You will probably need to factor in lessons too for your first week away.
We've mostly done trips with tour operators and I'd recommend this for your first trip.

Worth considering areas that offer a free children's pass with an adult purchase for late season stays. Many areas do. We've taken advantage of this in Les Arcs, Serre Chevalier, Ski Amade and Saalbach (Skiwelt also offer this).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@hammerite, Sounds great! Very Happy Where do you go? And when is the best time to book do you think? What is the snow quality like? Are the slopes busy? Thanks!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PeDaSp Slopes are generally pretty quiet. If you get on a lift at ski school setting off time then you can queue, or if conditions have led to lift closures (wind in Saalbach this year, one year in Les Arcs was due to lack of snow lower down). But otherwise I don't think we've queued at Easter.

We tend to book February/March time but just keep an eye out for something we think is reasonable. The season just gone we booked our Easter trip the same week as our Christmas trip - as the Easter deal to Saalbach was so good (£1,400 inc lift passes iirc). This coming Easter we have flights booked for Salzburg already and will decide exactly where we'll go nearer the time.

In the last few years we've been to Andorra (Grandvalira), Les Arc (worst conditions we've had, it was 26C for a couple of days), Kitzbuhel, Ski Amade, Saalbach and Serre Chavalier. We've had amazing powder days, and warm slushy days that are really hard work! It can be a real unpredictable mix. We've never really worried about going particularly high, generally there has been enough snow fall/man made during the season to leave plenty enough into April. There might be the odd run shut but nothing too much of a problem.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hammerite, Great advice snowHead Now you've got me thinking I should end my season in April and not March! I visit Saalbach every year — one of the great resorts. And this coming season there is the new link to Fieberbrunn.

And a 2 bed apartment in fieberbrunn at Easter is just £499:

http://tinyurl.com/pyvnf7j

Have fun!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We've never really worried about going particularly high

+1
snow report
@dode, I read that as "getting particularly high" Laughing
snow report
I agree with @hammerite, 's voice of experience. If there is an issue with the snow in April, it's usually in relation to the quality of the snow, rather than the quantity. In recent times, I can only speak for Saalbach, which aims to keep everything running until after Easter and makes so much snow during the season that 90% of the pistes, including those running down to the village, are amply covered until the season closes. However the quality of the snow depends on the weather. If the weather is warm and sunny, you tend to get freeze/thaw conditions - the pistes freeze overnight and gradually soften up during the morning. After some good morning skiing and a leisurely lunch and sunbathe it is usually advisable to head for pistes that do not face directly south - the Zwolferkogel, Schattberg Nord and Leogang usually offer the best skiing in the afternoons.
Having said all that, it is not unknown to get cold snaps and fresh snow during April. A couple of seasons ago, the first week of April saw some of the best conditions of the entire season, with sunny weather, cold temperatures (all day), overnight snow and empty pistes. Those of us who were still there were in heaven! Sadly however, whilst the pistes may be amply covered (so skiing is virtually guaranteed), the weather in early April is as unpredictable as in early December!
ski holidays
thank you all for replying, can i ask where you get your lift passes from? do you wait till you get there?

were thinking of Tignes, found accommodation half board for 3 of us for about £800 and possibly eurostar night ski train both ways for £600 as it leaves from our doorstep. so just need to add in passes and hire
snow report
I generally have just bought there (or pre-booked with TO sometimes).

Ski hire however I have normally booked in advance through either AlpinResorts or snowbrainer
snow conditions
chrisdjsax wrote:
thank you all for replying, can i ask where you get your lift passes from? do you wait till you get there?

were thinking of Tignes, found accommodation half board for 3 of us for about £800 and possibly eurostar night ski train both ways for £600 as it leaves from our doorstep. so just need to add in passes and hire

And lessons (since you're beginners). Ski school would be the best choice.
ski holidays
thank you, I dont suppose you know what sort of prices we are looking at for them?
ski holidays
yes lessons too! is a must!!
latest report
@chrisdjsax, My advice would be to fix it all up when you get there; at that time of the season you're unlikely to be standing in queues. As beginners, you won't necessarily need lift passes, or at least full area passes, to begin with. As @hammerite, has mentioned above, some resorts offer free lift passes for children (e.g. in Saalbach as from 19/03/16, for children born in 2000 or later), so it may pay to look at what is on offer before committing. You can also take advice from the ski-school on arrival as to whether you will need a lift pass, and if so, what kind.
latest report
ok thank you, we will do that than wherever we end up!
snow conditions
@chrisdjsax, You can buy your ski passes here, and they will post them to your home in the UK. Not cheap - EUR 228 per adult for 6 days. Kids are a bit less. April is still considered main season! That's because the snow is so good…

You don't need the Tignes & Val d'Isere pass; just the Tignes area pass I would guess, as you are all beginners. There is no way I know of to get any discounts, and buying in advance is no help. And you just need to buy for each day you are actually skiing, not each day you are in the resort. So a SAT to SAT holiday would need a 6 day pass; unless you arrive at 1pm and want to dash out!

http://www.skipass-tignes.com/en/
ski holidays
Quote:

My advice would be to fix it all up when you get there

I'd be a bit wary of that, where lessons are concerned. Not all ski schools are created equal - and you should book lessons in advance, after getting some advice about which school to use.

Tignes is a big resort and not all parts of Tignes are created equal, either.

Where is the accommodation you are looking at? That makes a significant difference, particularly to the question of which ski school to use (and how you will get from your accommodation to the ski school meeting place).

And finally, you'll need to budget also for getting to Tignes from the station (presumably Bourg St Maurice).
ski holidays
were looking chalet chardons and getting a taxi transfer from the station as i don't think its that far from bourg st maurice?
latest report
@chrisdjsax, I am sure it will work out going DIY however I would recommend as a first ski holiday waiting and then booking a last minute holiday through a TO. That way all transfers are
sorted for you, it will keep life very easy.

What is the age of your child?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, Yes, I'd forgotten about the ESF wink
ski holidays
@chrisdjsax, I'm no Tignes expert but I think that might not be a great location, especially in April as it's in the lowest part of the resort. Also Chalet Chardons falls firmly in the "cheap and cheerful" category - get some advice from people who know it well - which I don't.

It's about 40 minutes from BSM to Tignes (or possibly less, the way a French taxi driver does it!). Maybe 160 euros return?

Tignes will be quite busy with lots of British visitors at Easter so ski schools - especially the best ones - could be pretty booked up.
snow report
@NickyJ, Great comments from everyone. Smile I would lean towards NickyJ's PoV. A last minute all-in deal with flights, transfer, accommodation, lift pass, ski rental, and maybe even lessons is the way to go. Easy, no fuss, good price, and a great introduction to the wonderful world of fun on the slopes. Cool
latest report
@chrisdjsax, if you are getting the train to Bourg SM, have a look at Les Arcs. You can get the funicular up from the train station to Arcs 1600 - won't cost anywhere near as much as a taxi. Also I think Les Arcs usually has a free child's pass for that time of year (but check for 2016).

I'd go with the others recommendations of going with a tour operator for a first trip. All the different elements can be quite a faff and working out where to go can be too. A good rep can be very helpful with all this sort of stuff. I'm not saying it would be impossible to go DIY, but a TO can take a lot of the stress out of things!
snow report
Info/advice on the funicular... http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/ski-resorts/les-arcs/les-arcs-transfer-guide
snow report
@chrisdjsax, if you are going to BSM on the train then Les Arcs would be the best bet. Close to the station. I would look at a package from a tour operator as it is your first trip. You will need height at that time of year, so looking at Val Thorens (Moutier on the train) is well worth a look. We stayed with the kids in Les Menuires one April and had really good conditions and some hot sunny days
snow report
Quote:

You will need height at that time of year

Slopes with a variety of aspects is also important. I have spent every Easter since 2003 in an area which tops out at 2000m and conditions have been fine most years, if you follow the sun around. And softish snow is better for beginners than hard-pack. Beginners don't need a big range of slopes and instructors will know where to find the best conditions.

But yes, if you have the choice, higher is likely to be better than lower. Les Arcs from BSM sounds a good idea. But if you are looking at last minute bargains it's no good having firm ideas about destination - need to be flexible!
ski holidays
I'd definitely be looking to book with a TO for a first trip, it makes organising that much easier and you should be able to get a decent deal plus they quite often run 2 for 1 pass deals or bundles with lessons that can be good value.

Agree with Pam that you need to be flexible with choice of resort, wait until March and see where the snow is.
latest report
The OP is looking at Chalet Chardons, which is in Tignes-les-Brévières. So it's the closest Tignes resort to BSM - around 20-25 mins in a taxi, or there is a bus. Although the lowest part of Tignes, it's not that low (1550m), and the slopes are north facing. Plus, 2nd April is still very early in April - I wouldn't expect there to be a problem skiing down there first week in April.

Having said that, I agree it's not the best part of Tignes for beginners - both from the point of view of return slopes, and available ski schools. I agree that Les Arcs is a better bet. You can get the funi up to 1600 and then use the Navettes to access the other villages. I don't think a TO is necessary and as that's a school holiday week prices are likely to be inflated. If the OP is comfortable arranging it themselves I don't see the issue. Particularly as they want to take the train - this would restrict them if trying to get a last minute trip with a TO.

ESF in Les Arcs do a package deal of lessons and lift pass for beginners which is good value:
http://www.ski-school-arc1800.co.uk/adults/beginners-special
snow conditions
Hi

My son is 9. We was looking at Chalet Chardons only because we thought it was a good deal (maybe its not) maybe Les Arcs would be better if we can find accommodation at a good price. Also the train was because of the price and leaves from our doorstep. we don't mind flying if it all comes in budget but then have to add in all the transfers and gatwick parking etc.

Do you think we could book the train now as prices will only go up for that and then look at accommodation nearer the time?

I don't mind booking DIY its just knowing when to book and where for Smile
latest report
Quote:

I don't mind booking DIY its just knowing when to book and where for

that's exactly the problem though! You could find yourself in accommodation a fair distance from the ski school meeting place and no easy means of getting there (quite likely in Chalet Chardons I suspect) and one of the key factors, esp for your first holiday, is the unfamiliarity of getting into your boots and clomping off carrying skis and poles! Sometimes there's a convenient bus but much the easiest is to be staying very near the meeting place.

Budget-wise self catering is likely to be cheapest (especially if you stay near enough to where you ski to get back for a cheap lunch - lunches and drinks on the slopes are expensive) but it's a fair bit more work, obviously. Personally I prefer self-catering but it's not for everybody.

If the train tickets you've found are Saturday - Saturday I do think it would be a good idea to book that now, given it's so convenient for you. From Bourg St Maurice you'll have loads of resorts within easy reach - Les Arcs being the obvious one, really. Then you don't need to worry about accommodation until nearer the time when you know what the snow's doing and where the best ski lessons are. It's low season for French prices and there's plenty of choice in Les Arcs. And Tignes is just up the road offering very high altitude skiing on the doorstep at Val Claret (but not Les Brevieres and you won't be able to negotiate a series of lifts).

rob@rar is a snowhead who is a ski instructor with an apartment in Les Arcs - he could give you very precise help on lessons and accommodation (he doesn't teach in Les Arcs) and you can 100% rely on his advice
latest report
I've stayed in Les Brevs before, at a sister chalet to Chardons (and in fact, we're staying at Chardons the week before you're heading out there as it's very cheap).

I would agree with what a lot of people on here have said - Chardons would be a good place to look at in a few years perhaps, but if you and your sons are beginners, I think it may not be the right place for you right now.

Although there is one very small green in Les Brevs, it's all blues and reds to get anywhere outside of Les Brevs itself, and the return run down to 1600m at Easter can be a really hard-going one if you're on skis as it can get very slushy. In fact, now I think about it, the blue back down to Les Brevs from the main area is actually a long and windy road in the summer, so it is a very narrow, flat track in places which would be difficult to negotiate for beginners. In April a few years back, parts of this blue were also closed as the snow had melted down to the road surface (so it required a bit of cement hopping!!).

It's not impossible to do, but I think you would have a much better holiday if you base yourselves elsewhere to begin with.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy