Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flachau any good for hardcore snow pigs?

Poster: A snowHead
I felt the need to point this topic in a more focused direction, hence this edit. The original post is below.

Edit:
The data: 3 intermediate plus snowboarders who like easy parks and deep snowy bits between pistes. Flying to Munich and renting a car on February 20th. Looking for a resort.
The requirements: Good accessibility with a car, large variety of beginner park features, soft snow conditions (dislike ice or hardpack, we're fine with slush though). Good detachable chairlifts and less drag lifts. Wide mellow runs, deep tree runs, nice near-piste bits.
What we don't care about: Black runs, back-country, how good the guides are, rental gear, food, drink, apre-ski, or anything else that isn't mentioned above.

We're considering Flachau/Amade but haven't really heard of it before so no idea how it stacks up to resorts we've been to (Zillertal area, Sella ronda area). We're also open to other ideas.

The original:
Hi, new snowhead here.

Me and a couple of mates looking at Flachau for the week of February 20th, but as we've never heard of that area before we're not sure if it's the right direction.
As history - we're three under-30 snowboarders who've been riding together for a while now. Spent a couple of weeks in the Dolomiti Superski area, a week in Mayrhofen, and the cherry is 5 weeks in Colorado (mostly Breck and Keystone).

Here's the deal:
We're looking for soft deep snow, good near-piste terrain, and many beginner-intermediate snow-park features (ride-on boxes, 4-6m kickers, and such), few queues and few t-bars. Don't care at all for apre, spas, shopping, or any of the like.
We do not want to end up in a piste-only week like I had in Italy in 2012 with all snow being artificial with green grass on either side of it. We do not want to end up scraping ice all week either.

However, we've got a flight to Munich, a rental car, and all our gear, so the dates and country (Austria) are fixed and we just need the best resort for these requirements. Flachau and the Amade area seem to fit on paper - lots of park features, supposedly good snow record.

What's your take?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 8-11-15 18:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@motig, Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I must confess I'd not heard the phrase "snow pig" before, and urban dictionary wasn't exactly that helpful! Laughing

However, in answer to your question I think Flachau and the Ski Amade region should suit you OK, certainly as regards near piste terrain. An alternative you may care to consider if you are flying into Munich is the Zillertal valley with its 3 main ski areas of Mayrhofen, Zell am Ziller and Kaltenbach/Hochfugen. There are plenty of threads on here about the Zillertal if you do a search.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Three under-30 snowboarders and you don't care about apres at all!???? In Austria you can party hard in the early evening and still be tucked up in bed by 9.30.

I echo the above about looking at Mayrhofen.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@HoneyBunny, hence the "snow pigs". We care about nothing besides the snow conditions. We could sleep on the floor and eat pasta with ketchup 7 days in a row if it guaranteed fluffy pistes every morning.

As I've mentioned in the original post, we have been to the Zillertal area and have been on all 4 resorts there, despite weather being less than perfect. Hintertux had great snow but also miserable weather and visibility. Penken was packed, and it's beginner park while good in itself was accessible either by a tiresome t-bar or by a chair + very icy goat track, putting quite a damper on the fun. Gerlos was sunny but hard-packed, with the park built on quite some steep terrain it wasn't a very confidence-inducing situation.. And the fourth one (zell am ziller?) actually provided us with one of the best off-piste riding (or near-piste, we were about 100m away from one). But since being there, we prefer to try our someplace else!

On the other hand, the riding we did in Breck this year was something else completely and that's an experience I'd like to re-live in Austria this year: tree runs, fluffy powder all day long, long wide pistes to work some flatland tricks, and great yet pretty safe near-piste riding from the top bowls (we did the imperial express + hike to 4,000 meters several times)

Question is - does Flachau provide these near-piste opportunities? I'm not talking about "side-country", I'm talking about hitting a stash of fresh powder between marked runs and such. Does it have good, "guaranteed" (as much as it's possible, which isn't much) snow conditions, and a good variety of park for our level? I dread nothing more than scraping on hard icy groomers for my only snow-week this year.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just to be clear, here's a picture I took one morning in Breck: https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/11021094_10153094283708774_5027420574988635519_n.jpg?oh=ed5471ac311f0d4e5d6b334a52978ac7&oe=56AC22C2&__gda__=1454345078_2b3cc6ba2dd54d71920e587b2f992d3d

That's a blue piste, ladies and gentlemen, and it's covered with a layer of fresh fluff. Those are our "ideal conditions" - we're perfectly happy staying on or near the marked runs if the snow is that good. That was a wonderful day indeed.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey @motig !! Welcome to Snowheads!

So.. Flachau is part of the Ski Amadé area and is all on one pass.
With this pass you have access to quite a few pockets of fun!

Firstly, The Burton Stash and the Absolut Park at Flachau Winkl.
That will fulfill all of your parky desires and levels as well as an 'inbounds' stash area with natural jibs. It does get run out pretty quickly.
In Wagrain via the 'Graffenburg' lift or via the 'G-Link' from the Flachau mountain is another park.

Obviously powder is weather dependent but there are lots of shaded lines within the tree line to catch it for a few days.
Zauchensee has a lot of nice off piste opportunities but please be prepped for safety.

Almost all areas offer some in betweeny off piste bits and bobs. It is always easy to find a stash of powder in between marked runs but it won't last long as the whole of the mountain can find it too!

Almost all areas a drag-lift free unless you really want to use one... and sometimes this is worth it (even on a board) as there are some great little areas hidden off the back of Zauchensee, Flachau Winkl and Wagrain that require a drag out!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another somewhat unrelated question: I noticed most rentals (apartments) in the Flachau area are "farm houses", most even with actual farm animals and such. Any idea how that influences the, ahem, environment? What I mean is... is it going to smell of goats everywhere? It's something we'd really like to avoid, to the extent of choosing another resort if need be.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@motig, hardcore pig smells ok though?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nozawaonsen, if you're referring to the smell of 3 hairy men after 8 hours of intense snowboarding - yes.
If you're referring to the smell of crispy bacon for breakfast - also yes.
Otherwise - no.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
motig wrote:
@nozawaonsen, if you're referring to the smell of 3 hairy men after 8 hours of intense snowboarding - yes.
If you're referring to the smell of crispy bacon for breakfast - also yes.
Otherwise - no.

Hope you stay a place with lots of hot water! (and stay away from the afterski please) Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hyst, I don't know what you're inferring here mate, we end the day smelling like sunshine and butterflies. wink
Besides, after a really intense day the only apre-ski activity on my mind is eating lots of carbs & passing out.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
On the other hand, the riding we did in Breck this year was something else completely and that's an experience I'd like to re-live in Austria this year: tree runs, fluffy powder all day long, long wide pistes to work some flatland tricks, and great yet pretty safe near-piste riding from the top bowls (we did the imperial express + hike to 4,000 meters several times)

The reason you had such perfect conditions was because you were lucky with the weather and skiing is a rich, upper middle class past time in the US. Austria is way more inclusive, so you may actually have to share your "lines" with the plebs shacking up in the barns along with the goats! rolling eyes rolling eyes Mind you they actually ski you off the mountain as they are there every week of the season even if they are farmboys and girls!

I'm sorry but this thread reads like a perfect wind up!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Samerberg Sue, obviously luck has a lot to do with snow conditions, but in this case that wasn't the main issue since we stayed for 5 weeks, and learned the ups and downs of each resort. For example, that Keystone has amazing side-country and a great park, but if it doesn't dump there (and it rarely does) it's all iced up more akin to east coast US resorts or the like of Bansko. On the other hand, in Breck there was a sprinkling of snow almost every night, and somehow the snow stays better there for longer, especially in the less frequented peaks which aren't as accessible as the central one.

Problem is, when going for one week you're faced with 3 choices:
1. Go to a resort you've already been at, and are familiar with it's characteristics
2. Go to a "snow sure" resort with a glacier and high altitudes, which limits your options somewhat
3. Risk it

All three options really give a false sense of control as weather is unpredictable to say the least, but the're also something to it. It's well known, for example, that in the US - east coast resorts tend to be icy, west coast ones tend to be wet and heavy ("cement") and Colorado, Utah and Wyoming tend to get the best powder. It's also well known that the snow quality in Bansko never rivals that of Tignes.

I'm not asking anyone to pull out their crystal ball for me - all I'm asking is that people who are familiar with the area, and can compare it to other areas we've been to (Bansko, Mayrhofen, Sella Ronda's 4 resorts, and the Colorado resorts) give us some tips on how the snow conditions usually measure up to what we're looking for and are familiar with. This is due to the Amade area being further east & north of what we used to, as well as having significantly lower elevations (the apartment we stayed in during our time in the US was at 2800m, higher than Amade's highest peak).

By the way - we are not from the US and are not "rich, upper middle class". We just really love what we do, and happily share our lines with anyone small and large, local and foreign. Just don't like the smell of farm animals! Don't be so judgmental.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
motig wrote:
@Hyst, I don't know what you're inferring here mate, we end the day smelling like sunshine and butterflies. wink
Besides, after a really intense day the only apre-ski activity on my mind is eating lots of carbs & passing out.
wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
motig wrote:
It's also well known that the snow quality in Bansko never rivals that of Tignes.
Is it well known? What happens if it's not snowed in Tignes for three weeks, but in Bansko it has snowed for the past three days - which snow conditions would you prefer? I have no idea what average snow conditions are like between the two resorts, but you will get a big variation in conditions for skiing/boarding depending on the snow and weather at the time. As a result you can never say "never".

motig wrote:
This is due to the Amade area being further east & north of what we used to, as well as having significantly lower elevations (the apartment we stayed in during our time in the US was at 2800m, higher than Amade's highest peak).
There is not a straightforward relationship between altitude and snow quality when you are comparing resorts in radically different geographic locations. Best snow conditions I've skied was at a resort where the highest skiing was at 1300m.

It sounds to me like you are looking for certainty in snow conditions. No such thing exists, and all the areas you are comparing will have excellent, good, OK and poor snow conditions from time to time. You can improve your chances of getting good conditions by looking at average snow records, not going right at the start or end of the season, but there's no way of guaranteeing the conditions that you are looking for.
snow conditions
@motig, skied Flachau and Zauchensee in early March 2013 admittedly snow was not great but found the former very crowded and the latter very limited. Would advise against. How about St Anton?
snow report
@motig, I know Flachau probably as well if not better than many here, as does flangesax who lives just along the road. However your remarks are way more judgemental than mine:
Quote:

I noticed most rentals (apartments) in the Flachau area are "farm houses", most even with actual farm animals and such. Any idea how that influences the, ahem, environment? What I mean is... is it going to smell of goats everywhere? It's something we'd really like to avoid, to the extent of choosing another resort if need be.

I live in a house on a similar Bauernhof, we even have a small herd of highland cattle that look over the back fence whenever I go out in the back garden. They reek a wee bit when its wet, but just look like Ewoks with horns the rest of the time. Maybe I'm used to the smell but nobody else complains either so it can't be so strong!

Everyone wants a perfect ski holiday, even those of us who can ski every weekend. Whether you have one or not depends as much on your attitude as it does the weather, snow, crowds or any other factor. If you are constantly setting the bar too high, you are doomed to disappointment. Go back to "Brecks", it obviously suited you better than our little mountains can.
snow report
Shalom @motig and welcome to Snowheads.
The person who know most about the area is probably @Samerberg Sue, I'm sure she lives there.
(perhaps she may be a bit biased)

Its been a long time since I was there .. I dont think we had invented snowboards at that stage.

You have already done the Zillertal I see. From reading between the lines I see you dont want to party just do the snow stuff.

Here is my idea for you as you are renting a car ... Stay in Landeck (its not a ski resort in its own right so the accomadation will be cheaper and easier to book).

Then I would drive up to St Anton for a couple of days and do the Alberg Region ...
Its the top region for skiing Austria, and links into St Christoph, Zurs & Lech so its a huge area with lots of opportunity for off piste and its snow sure.

Then go down the other valley to Ischgl which is also a favourite, its pretty snow sure and you'll love it.

The tail end of February will be one of the best snow sure weeks of the season its the week after most "half term" holidays in the UK, so well chosen.

If thats not enough choice for you there are a few other ski hills in the area which may be empty during the week.

Have fun .. but I'd still prefer to "Party" ... hand have a more balanced diet, with some Pizza & Germknodel
snow report
Don't worry Austrian farmhouses have long since been gentrified for tourism. I don't know Flachau myself but there are snowheads that live or winter in the area and talk highly of it. Your question to me seems to be a) is there plenty of reasonably safe accessible off piste and b) are there not too many drags?

That doesn't seem to hard to answer.

& the snow conditions in Breck have little to do with the wealth or otherwise of the visitors ( many will be city dwellers who've shelled out the princely sum of $500 for the season pass), more like the 13,000 ft altitude so I'm not sure where Sue's rant comes from.
latest report
Quote:

@rob@rar: It sounds to me like you are looking for certainty in snow conditions. No such thing exists

Absolutely clear. Been snowboarding since about 2008, have seen my share of bare alpine resorts in the "peak season" - 2012, middle of February in Val di Fassa it was all artificial with +7/8 degrees centigrade and felt more like riding a dry slope or one of those events when they bring snow with a truck. That's not my point - I'm trying to figure out some more predictable data on a resort I'm not yet familiar with, based on 3 parameters:
1. Type of snow: as I mentioned before, some areas have a distinct type of snow, I know that what the central alps usually have is great, so I'm asking is it the same in the eastern alps?
2. Type of terrain: some resorts have wider runs, some narrower. Some steeper, some mellower. Some longer, some shorter. And each of these is up to personal preference. We like long, mellow, wide runs, with natural features, and have found such in certain resorts we've been to. Also obviously some resorts fit snowboarders less and some more: flats and traverses are a no-no, as are drag lifts, while on skis they're both fine.
3. Style of riding: those more into speed and carving look for level, smooth, groomed and packed runs. Those who like us prefer to cruise, play around, and venture off the piste, prefer ungroomed, loose runs. Some resorts have more of one, some more of the other.

Hope this clears up what kind of info I'm trying to get.

@Samerberg Sue, there's really no need for that. Why the negativity? Unlike yourself, I live in a country with no snow and no resorts. With last season as an exception, I get to snowboard 6 days a year, and with the cost of these trips I don't get second chances. I can hang out, eat well and enjoy the company of my friends year round - but I can only hit the slopes for that little window of opportunity and if the resort doesn't fit our needs - it's a year 'till the next chance. So yes, I am very picky about the tiniest details of every such meticulously planned trip.

As for farm animals - I grew up in a city and live in a city, and in addition this is a very hot country we live in with no proper winter to speak of - and farm animals reek for miles here. If you're saying that you don't experience anything alike in your area, that's great news for us, and all I was trying to get as an answer. Also, I appreciate the Star Wars reference. Laughing

I would love to go back to Breck, it was an amazing resort - but it's not economically feasible for us to do again. I really have meant no offence to the area you live in, so there's no point in taking any! As I said above, my nitpicking is not due to snobbishness, it's due to the stressful nature of getting that "once a year" trip just right.

@DrLawn, thanks for the tip. I will look into it, see if it fits in with our budget and how far of a drive each resort requires. What had initially drawn me to Flachau was the giant park in Flachauwinkl, supposedly one of the largest in Europe, as well as how little Israeli's are familiar with it - which usually is a positive indication...

@Dave of the Marmottes, thank you. Yes, those are some of the questions I'm trying to ask.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 8-11-15 19:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@motig, I think Flachau would be fine for your needs. Especially having fun in the areas at Flachauwinkl as @flangesax, suggests. There's lots of different types of accommodation, you won't need to go in with the cows.
snow conditions
motig wrote:
Absolutely clear. Been snowboarding since about 2008, have seen my share of bare alpine resorts in the "peak season" - 2012, middle of February in Val di Fassa it was all artificial with +7/8 degrees centigrade and felt more like riding a dry slope or one of those events when they bring snow with a truck. That's not my point - I'm trying to figure out some more predictable data on a resort I'm not yet familiar with, based on 3 parameters:
1. Type of snow: as I mentioned before, some areas have a distinct type of snow, I know that what the central alps usually have is great, so I'm asking is it the same in the eastern alps?

I don't believe that there is an appreciable difference in the quality of the snow across the Alps, from west to east. Sometimes the snow will be heavier, sometimes lighter, but that will depend on the local weather at the time (temperature, humid level, etc) and this can vary equally across the alpine region. No one alpine region can claim exclusivity on "good snow". Some areas have more snow on average on other areas, but even that doesn't guarantee that those places will be best for any particular week of the season.
snow report
I've been watching boarders ride T-bars all week, mostly successfully. there is some good territory throughput the Alps accessed by drags (as a poster just pointed out in a discussion about Sauze D'oulx it keeps the riff raff away). It's worth learning to ride drags and not too difficult once past the beginner stage.
ski holidays
@pam w, being able to ride them does not make it a pleasant experience. To access some point of interest, sure, it's worth it perhaps. But to loop a certain fun slope, or worse - to loop the park, it slowly becomes a nightmare. Truth is, I haven't ever fallen off a drag lift in 7-8 seasons of riding a board, but they just drain me of energy, and ruin what could have often been a very fun spot on the mountain. I'd even say I'm more spoiled than that: I dislike old style non-disengaging chairlifts too! Besides being slow and uncomfortable they're also the hardest to get off of gracefully Embarassed
Overall, the % of t-bars together with presence of traverses & flats are a pretty good measure for how adequate a resort is for snowboarding, regardless of level/experience.

@rob@rar, got it. Thanks.

Edit:
This probably won't be too appreciated by the folks here, but being the type of guy who does such things I've taken the time to make a spreadsheet: http://bit.ly/20F66VG
It contains historical snow data, such as I could find, and general stats on different Austrian ski areas (Amade, Zillertal, Paznaun, Arlberg and Solden without the other Otztal areas as they don't have an all-inclusive pass)
It does seem to point out that for our parameters of interest, Amade would be the best option.
I just can't shake off the feeling that I might be missing something, such as why it's the only area of the 5 that I haven't heard of until a week ago.
ski holidays
@motig, you do know that Flachauwinkl is not in Flachau? You need to get the bus there
snow report
@holidayloverxx, yup. We'll be driving around in a car, as we always do.
snow conditions
@motig, how good are your data sources? The Amade area includes the Dachstein glacier and Sportgastein (far end of the Gastein valley) these could skew the data. Likewise the Zillertal includes the Hintertux glacier. Lift companies weather and snow reports often seem more like works of marketing art than science. Can't remember using any drag lifts in the Gasteins and the few in Schladming (Amade) can be avoided.
latest report
@HutToHut, It's a tricky issue, as indeed like you say it's more marketing than data.
I combined each resort/areas website, wikipedia, and several snow-report websites such as snow-forecast and onthesnow.

I have included in the area data, everything that is accessible in one ski-pass, despite the fact that some of it might be too far to bother. It's just the way I've always treated it and that makes sense to me. Indeed that includes the Hintertux (to which, by the way, we drove from Mayrhofen for a full day) and the Dachstein.

I've really done all I could to maintain accuracy but it's still dependent on what each resort has on the internet. Just edited it up a bit to add some other consideration, and the results make sense to what I'm familiar with - it might not be very scientific this way (due to bias) but seems acceptable.

Thanks for actually checking it out!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A good a way as any to make a decision Very Happy I think Schladming (Hauser Kaibling, Planai, Hochwurzen, Reiteralm + some smaller bits) and the Gasteins (Dorfgastein, Bad Hofgastein, Badgastein & Sportgastein) would suit you. Snow wise is luck really. You could get fluffy powder to boilerplate ice to slush anywhere it's all down to timing and weather.
ski holidays
@motig, Sorry but can't really add much to this discussion. Just wanted to give you a 'big-up' for that spreadsheet! Cool I love a good spreadsheet!
latest report
@motig, I really do recommend scouting all the trip reports and snow report on this site.

Snowsartre wrote:
@motig, skied Flachau and Zauchensee in early March 2013 admittedly snow was not great but found the former very crowded and the latter very limited. Would advise against. How about St Anton?

Snowsartre You need to think about hooking up with some snowHead 's if you ever dare visit the restricted and limiting areas of Salzburger Sportwelt again.... 10th season for me just around the corner and there are still plenty of lines available in Zauch!
How did you find it when you hit the world cup downhill run? Get as much air as the pros?
snow report
Well, the dice have rolled and the decision has been made - we're going to Flachau to give it a try.
Since the dates and country have been decided in advance I guess at this point it's all up to luck!
May the snow gods bless us with a proper dump snowHead

So since we'll be staying in Flachau - any recommendations? We'll be looking for:
- good eats (not fans of fancy dining, we like it big, laden with bacon and fast)
- big supermarkets (mostly to buy stuff to bring back home, those of you who don't live in the middle east have no idea)
- What are the best way to go to each area nearby (as some have more than 1 chairlift/gondola, where would the lines be shorter and the parking better?)
- Which areas, parks, pistes are most worth visiting, within reasonable driving and according to our style of riding? (For example we know that the "powder shuttle" in shuttleberg is a must as it has the Burton Stash, and hopefully, powder)
- Anything else you'd like to recommend for first timers in that region will be welcome too!

Have a nice week Cool
ski holidays
motig wrote:
I'd even say I'm more spoiled than that: I dislike old style non-disengaging chairlifts too! Besides being slow and uncomfortable they're also the hardest to get off of gracefully Embarassed
Overall, the % of t-bars together with presence of traverses & flats are a pretty good measure for how adequate a resort is for snowboarding, regardless of level/experience.

You're looking at this the wrong way!

Generally the older, slower, and less efficient the lift, the less tracked out the surrounding terrain: 1. lots of people think like you and are put off using the lift; 2. the lift isn't physically capable of transporting as many people in the same time frame.

The best place to ski on a pow day is the woods of some tiny family resort everyone else has written off in favour of the big names. OTOH they suck on non-pow days...

Also think about going in March. Generally in March it either seems to be snowing or warm and sunny, so either you either get powder or slush (which is the second most fun type of snow to ski IMO). There's nothing worse than mid-Jan scoured boilerplate.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 9-11-15 17:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
motig wrote:

I don't believe that there is an appreciable difference in the quality of the snow across the Alps, from west to east. Sometimes the snow will be heavier, sometimes lighter, but that will depend on the local weather at the time (temperature, humid level, etc) and this can vary equally across the alpine region. No one alpine region can claim exclusivity on "good snow". Some areas have more snow on average on other areas, but even that doesn't guarantee that those places will be best for any particular week of the season.

motig Most of February 2012 in Austria was bitterly cold, the coldest I've ever experienced with daytime maxima of -20c some days and the conditions were excellent. If it was as warm as that in Italy then it must've been the biggest weather difference ever over the main alpine ridge and proves rob@rar's point completely.
snow conditions
@robboj, just to make a point:
I traveled to Italy, specifically Canazei in Val Di Fassa, twice in consecutive years: the week of 26/2/2012, and the week of 23/2/2013.
Here's a photo I took in Campitello on 2012: https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/552795_10150684598593774_1790659050_n.jpg?oh=5982630af580a41e61c25bd7564fe653&oe=56C70F35
And here's one I took from the very same spot in 2013: https://fbcdn-photos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-0/p180x540/537637_10151465916488774_909721042_n.jpg?oh=35e2d92e7449dc3e8f82cfc175d5910d&oe=56B5EC31&__gda__=1455315279_c4039925f7c6b0241be51ee64440341c

Same spot, same date! If that's not an insane difference I don't know what is, so yeah - as I said I'm well aware that the actual snow conditions can differ hugely.

@clarky999, firstly I agree that slush is indeed the second most fun type of snow after powder, especially for mucking about. I'm very used to slush (it's the only kind we ever get here if we get any) and it gives a certain sense of control & playfulness other types of snow can't. You do get seriously wet in a day though.

Regarding old lifts - I see your logic, and I think that (plus the natural circumstances) is what draws many a snow-boar to places like a-basin in CO, that have terrible infrastructure, lousy park, and pistes rated as randomly as an episode of Family Guy is scripted. But yeah it gets tons of snow and it's never too busy or spoiled.

For some - sure, that might be great. But Almost every snow related accident I ever had in 8 years was due to one of those old undetachable lifts - broke my sunglasses due to one on Tux, pulled a ligament in my knee on a very cramped 4-per one in a-basin on one of the back-slopes (which put me out for the day), smashed my knee on ice because one literally launched me off of it when it was way too high to stand up in Italy... Nope, not a good record with these, I've got Skullie

I don't mind a small 2-seater like that serving the park for example, like Keystone has - with little traffic on it you can ride it alone, and use the time to plan out your next run... but for actually getting somewhere, no thanks. I'm willing to miss out. rolling eyes
ski holidays
@motig, there are 2 small supermarkets in Flachau. There is a large Eurospar in St Johann and one near salzburg airport. I can't help with the pile it high restaurants as Flachau actually has lots of nice places and I tend to go for them.
snow report
@holidayloverxx, thanks! I imagine we'll visit a few of those too (personally I'm a big fan of Bavarian, Tirolean and generally German & Austrian cuisine) but usually we're at such a state of physical exhaustion at the end of a good day that we'll go for the fastest dirtiest takeout we can find and shove it down on the way before fainting in bed. I think it's best to mix a bit of each approach Smile
snow report
@motig, the trick with non-detachable chairs is to reach back and catch it with your hand before it hits you. Also slide a little bit in front of your mate so he gets all the impact wink
snow conditions
@clarky999, it's never the getting on that's the problem, it's the unloading!
They're usually a lot tighter, and almost always the ride-off ramp for them is quite, well, shite.
On skis they might be ok but on boards they're only fine if you're riding them alone.
ski holidays
@motig, I often find that service in a hut/restaurant in Austria is extremely quick. So much so that it's probably just as quick to go in there for a sit down and a monster Tirolergrostl as it is for a dirty kebab/greasy pizza (although even they're relatively good quality compared to our locals here in England!).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy