Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen Ski Area

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Im off to Mayrhofen early January and weve booked the holiday (which automatically includes a (6 day Zillertaler Superskipass incl. glacier).

http://www.mayrhofen.at/en/winter-urlaub-ferien-familie/pistenplan/

Ive seen the ski area for our pass access as per the link above and it looks impressive, however ..... Does this give us access to Zell Am Zee (or zell am ziller) or am i getting mixed up with the pronunciation here ?
what I would also like to know is when i searched for zillertal area piste map..... It then brought up The below

(so what areas are these, and does my pass get me access to here? On this map on the link below i can see mayrhofen is shown on he map, but no lifts going up from it when i know there is at least 2 (as our hotel were staying in is 50 metres next to it).

So therefore, what area / pass is this?

https://www.zillertalarena.com/UserFiles/Image/Downloads%20Winter%202015_16/04052015-ZA%20Winterpanorama_DIN_ohne%20Legende_210mm.jpg

I'm a little Confused.com !!!!!
rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Si_Dean, Hi, Your pass will give you access to the Mayrhofen area in your first link. Then, via the free train along the valley, Zell im Ziller (not zell am see) kaltenbach and fugen. They're all decent areas in their own right and normally a bit quieter than the penken and ahorn (in Mayrhofen). I love the area you'll have a great time.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perfect,

Thankyou!

Is there a piste map of the said extra areas above (zell im ziller / kaltenbach / fugen)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://ski3.intermaps.com/zillertal_uebersicht/skimap_touch.asp?lang=en

I can see it could be a bit confusing until you go there and you can picture for yourself. I dont think theres piste map for the whole area cos its so big (maybe half an hour on the train from one end to the other) and on different sides of the valley. Have a look at the link above where you can click on the different areas and try get some perspective.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you get a blue sky day, make sure you visit the Hintertux glacier as well, it's the best glacier I've been to. Fabulous huge wide runs, perfect snow and truly spectacular views.

There is a gorgeous black run (11b) up to one side as well (it's not really 'black').

We visited Zell Am Ziller and Kaltenbach as well, both good for a day trip. Zell has a single-seater roller-coaster down the mountain which looked brilliant fun, but we ran out of time to try it.

http://youtube.com/v/9MDinaW5RPw
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Si_Dean, As others have said, your Zillertal liftpass includes the areas of Zell am Ziller and Kaltenbach/Hochfugen, both of which are well worth a day visit each (travel to both is included in your liftpass on the Zillertalbahn narrow gauge railway along the valley which runs every 30 mins; note the link currently shows the summer timetable - winter timetable will come into effect on 13th Dec).

There'a a fair amount of info about Zell am Ziller and Kaltenbach/Hochfugen in this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2742228&highlight=kaltenbach#2742228
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This link gives the over view of the zillertal. If you click on a logo it brings up the piste map for that area.The areas are only linked by public transpire but it is all included on the lift pass.

http://ski3.intermaps.com/zillertal_uebersicht/skimap_touch.asp?lang=en

You take the green line bus to the Hintertux glacier, 45 min, it departs from the Rail station amongst other stops.
Take the train (Zillertalbahn) to Zell then a bus that links with the train to the Zillertal Arena Gondolas. Takes less than 30 min.
Take the train to Kaltenbach, about 30 min for the Hochzillertal Ski area. When you get off the train follow every body on a 5 to 10 min walk to the gondola.
There are frequent ski buses around Mayhofen to get you to the Penken and Ahorn Gondolas or to Hippach for the Horberg Gondola(10 min). We generally use the Horberg gondola in preference to the Penken Gondola because it was quicker and you also got a seat. This may not be necessary now with the new Penken Gondola that opens in a few weeks.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 9-11-15 15:57; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone !

Can i just double check something.....

(Zillertal Arena pass) ..... What is this then if my superskipass gets me access to a heck of a lot, and how is the arena pass different to one i'll have....
Or is it indeed the same thing?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Si_Dean, The Zillertal Arena Pass is a local pass for the Zillertal Arena (i.e Zell am Ziller's ski area) only for up to 1.5 days. The other main ski areas like Mayrhofen and Kaltenbach/Hochfugen also have local ski passes for up to 1.5 days. For 2 days or longer duration you can only get a Zillertaler Superskipass which is valid for all the valley ski areas (including obviously the Zell am Ziller Arena ski area). Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Si_Dean, As someone who has visited all 4 areas in the pass, I cannot stress enough the value in visiting each one of them. We did it by car.
Each area has a completely different terrain and atmosphere and in many places the 3 "other" areas proved more fun than the main Mayhofen/Penken one.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
motig wrote:
@Si_Dean, As someone who has visited all 4 areas in the pass, I cannot stress enough the value in visiting each one of them. We did it by car.
Each area has a completely different terrain and atmosphere and in many places the 3 "other" areas proved more fun than the main Mayhofen/Penken one.

+1. It's a wonderful valley, and you should try to visit each area within it if possible.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Si_Dean, A word of caution about the Hintertux. I would advise that you check the weather in the morning by viewing live web cams. Pay particular attention to the wind speed (wind chill) as well as visibility. The latter is most important because if poor it will totally ruin your day and the time invested in getting there and back. From my point of view it was a place to "tick off" but I won't rush back. There is so much other good varied skiing in the valley and I have not got tired of it after 6 visits. I can only encourage you to continue to do your homework so that you get the most of your stay.
If you need any more advice send me a pm letting me know where your staying and i'll try to help.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 9-11-15 19:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kevinraine, +1 on that.
Hintertux has the chance of stunning views, great snow and plenty of off-piste but the weather there can get pretty extreme. When we went it was miserably cold (beyond what our gear could protect us from), visibility was OK but not great, windy as hell and worst of all the park was closed. We got 2-3 really good runs, after initially getting a bit lost and getting a stunning view of an ice crevasse below our chairlift, but we rode back down to the parking lot pretty quickly.

Also worth noting that even when the valley is quite dry the drive up to Hintertux does get winding and wet so caution is advised. And it takes a while to get there, and to ride the 3 different gondolas to the very top, meaning that it's something you should head out early for.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zillertal Arena - for me the best skiing in the whole region.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy