Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Norway - where to go?

Poster: A snowHead
I've been trawling the web and this forum trying to decide where to go in Norway for a short ski break.

I took the plunge and booked a long weekend flight for £7 return (no typo: http://www.holidaypirates.com/flights/error-frae-flights-from-uk-to-oslo-norway-only-98p-return - only catch is you need to pay by Entropay Visa - very easy sign up) - but being an intermediate/advanced snow-boarder and an advanced (though she considers herself intermediate) skier, I'm having trouble finding somewhere that will be steep enough and that isn't mroe than a 3 hours drive from Oslo Rygge.

Does anyone on this forum have some experience or advice on Norway?

Many thanks in advance!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Trysil may be your best bet.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would head up to Lilliehammer. 5 resorts are covered under the one lift pass and there is a fair range of skiing. Definitely need a car for this but well worth it. Or you could just choose one resort and ski at it depending on the time you have.

http://en.lillehammer.com/things-to-do/active-holiday/skiing/alpine-skiing/ski-resorts

The problem for you is that you are flying into south of Oslo, which means it will take you longer to get to any of the ski resorts. Looking at Google maps you can get from Rygge to Lilliehammer in just under 3 hours. Trysill by car will take about 20 minutes longer, but everything is in one resort so that can make it easier.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Heading there in mid-feb pam w.

Thanks for the advice dobby and yuppie. Smile As a border I a most scared of long flats, and lots of online reading suggests Norway has plenty of flats. What did you think about Trysil and Lilliehammer in this regard?

We are going for 4 days so even a smallish resort should be fine without us getting bored.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've only been to Hemsedal, and it was over the May Day bank holiday this year for their closing festival, but thought it was a great little resort for a short break.

It's about a 3-3.5 hour drive from Oslo, but I would say worth the journey, especially if you are going for 4 days. We only had two days in Hemsedal and it was about the perfect size.

Plus, I would say very good for snowboarders (I'm one too) as it doesn't really have any flats (from memory), most of the range is accessible by chairlift, and there are a couple of park areas, ranging from beginner up to (what I would say) very advanced.

We've been looking at taking advantage of the cheap flights on a Friday and Sunday night from Manchester, allowing for a genuine weekend away with skiing, and we came across the Oslo Vinterpark (http://www.oslovinterpark.no/) - this is a small resort (Oslo's most visited ski resort apparently) which is a 30 minute train ride away from Oslo. Not big, but if you're only there for a few days, could be a good option, tied in with staying in Oslo city centre for some culture.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went to Geilo with th kids a few years ago which I'd recommend. It was a 3 hour ish train from Oslo through stunning scenery. The train was spacious with viewing carraiges.
The skiing is across two sides of the valley alinked by a free bus and although it was peak time, the slopes were empty.
In general, norway is low in terms of vertical drop but has good snow due to it being cold
The kids are boarders and seemed happy with the slopes and lack of paddling along
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Kingofthec, if you do try that (Manchester weekend trip), let me know how it goes! I've been looking at those flights too, would be good to hear from someone who's done it Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@fixx, Will do!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We did Geilo from that airport and I am pretty sure it was more than 3hours though we did stop for grub. Not a bad trip over the mountains. Gelio is a great small place and as mentioned very quiet. There was only one horrendous flat bit out of the main chair to the Green run, but if you did not need a green run then it would have been fine.

Note you are no where near Oslo from that airport ! Guess an hour to get to Oslo.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Trysil

http://www.trysilturbusser.no/en/

http://booking.boreal.no/

https://www.skistar.com/en/Trysil/Lodging/Travel/by-bus/

https://www.skistar.com/en/Trysil/Lodging/Hotel/

Most scandinavians stay in huts (cabins) in a group, but you can get small flats as well.

Best staying area for skiing is Høyfrellssenter:

https://www.skistar.com/da/Trysil/Ophold/opholdsomrader/trysil-hoyfjellssenter/

but dead at night/evening.

Nightlife (if there is any) here:

https://www.skistar.com/da/Trysil/Ophold/opholdsomrader/trysil-turistsenter/

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 7-11-15 15:39; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd be concerned about the lack of daylight in Norway, particularly in December and January.

Are the slopes floodlit?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mikeycharlton, right, best time is spring.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hyst wrote:
@mikeycharlton, right, best time is spring.

Makes sense. How many hours of daylight do you get in December/November?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This article seems to dispute some of the assumptions I had about Norway. http://www.theabsolutelygroup.com/absolutelysnow/skiing-holidays-in-norway.htm

Certainly the Radisson we booked with Ski-in, Ski-out, indoor and outdoor pools and spa in Trysil for £63 a night in makes me think the price may come in a lot lower than expected (though packed lunches will probably be a must).

Thanks for the advice all!
snow report
From my experience, the food wasn't that much more expensive than other ski resorts, but the drink is a different story - £7-10 for a bottle of beer!!
latest report
Remember to go through the duty free at the airport when you arrive. Just follow the locals
ski holidays
Do not go to Norway for skiing. The snow quality is rubbish, the resorts are badly run, as for the lift queues don't get me started, the transport links are appalling. The weather at Easter really !,0 degrees no wind and it was a bluebird sky on 7 out of the 8 days, cost a fortune in lip salve and sun cream.
I had to ski some runs on my own with no drunken yobs to complain about. The service is efficient and polite-what's that about ?.
Even the park rats are strange they put up with your pathetic efforts on the features and don't roll their eyes or snigger, they even helped when I lost a ski.
I have been twice and my salary reducer and parasites want to go back to Norway again, this time Geilo.
I have booked my flights, but you have been warned.
snow report
clavboy wrote:
Do not go to Norway for skiing. The snow quality is rubbish, the resorts are badly run, as for the lift queues don't get me started, the transport links are appalling. The weather at Easter really !,0 degrees no wind and it was a bluebird sky on 7 out of the 8 days, cost a fortune in lip salve and sun cream.
I had to ski some runs on my own with no drunken yobs to complain about. The service is efficient and polite-what's that about ?.
Even the park rats are strange they put up with your pathetic efforts on the features and don't roll their eyes or snigger, they even helped when I lost a ski.
I have been twice and my salary reducer and parasites want to go back to Norway again, this time Geilo.
I have booked my flights, but you have been warned.

Wow.

As I am short on time (and patience) today), I'll address each of your well-thought out arguments later.
snow report
@Lilledonmarco, +1

clavboy, must have been drunk. Shocked

that late he went april - he should better have gone to Riksgrænsen a bit more north Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 8-11-15 16:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Lilledonmarco, Its ironic they are trying to keep "Norway is great" quiet.

Super place Geilo just a pain to get too and buy alcohol. Apart from those 2 huge things I would be back in a shot.
latest report
Jake43 wrote:
@Lilledonmarco, Its ironic they are trying to keep "Norway is great" quiet.

Super place Geilo just a pain to get too and buy alcohol. Apart from those 2 huge things I would be back in a shot.

Just remember shopping in the taxfree wink wink
snow report
@Hyst, +200 about the tax free shopping
latest report
Tax free at the airport, although there is a limit, cannot remember what it is.
Ok if there are a few of you in the group.
Or you can press gang a tee totaler Laughing
latest report
@clavboy, not many in Norway. Norwegian party hard
snow report
latest report
@Hyst, like it
Can you do one "tee totallers queue here"
latest report
I love Norway and can't wait to go back. I've been to Geilo twice, both times in January. It's only light between about 9.30 and 3.30 and cold. First time was around -10 all week but the 2nd time was -18 to -22 with freezing fog and no visibility. My husbands not keen to go back unless we go later in the year.

Trysil is next on my list as I didn't like the way Geilo was split into two areas, infrequent buses means you can be stuck in one area which isn't ideal.

I've found most of the accommodation is for 6-8 people + which can make it expensive for a couple.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@eshroom, We went to Trysil over Xmas 2 years ago, loved it. Reduced daylight hours, true and so I would like to go back in the Spring. Floodlight skiing on a few evenings a week does extend slope time. Good skiing from 9.30 to about 3pm. We stayed at the Raddisson Blu. Great hotel, good facilities too, genuine ski in / out. Go for the B&B option as the breakfast is great, fills you up for the day and can take some back to the room for snacking later. Alcohol expensive but cheap hot drinks in mountain huts. Lift pass price comparable with mainstream European resorts, kit hire excellent quality, decent price. I think the £ is quite strong vs the Krona now.

Lift system very efficient, quiet slopes, great snow and wasn't too cold either the week we went. Would definitely recommend.

I heard they had built a new motorway extension from Oslo to reduce travel time to Trysil too
snow conditions
@hazel richardson, There is a newer "hotel", have just heard that it should by ok for 2.

Park Inn Trysil Mountain Resort

hope the link works:

https://www.skistar.com/da/trysil/online-booking/accommodation/sok?SelectedMonthId=201601&SelectedWeekId=201602&preferredArrivalDate=20160109&preferredDepartureDateInactive=20160116&SelectedPeriodType=Week&_cf=%7C1592%7C8990%7C1%7C%7C0%7C%7C0%7C%7C&periodTypeRestriction=Week&areaRestriction=1592&subAreaRestriction=8990

Puzzled

And prices are given by room/flat, Not by person!
ski holidays
Yep, Park inn by Radisson. That's the one we booked. We used Hotels.com - double room midweek at £63, but you can also book in English on their own website: http://www.parkinn.com/hotel-trysil
ski holidays
@eshroom, Not been to Trysil, but I always go somewhere in Norway for New Year.
What's good is the exchange rate is the best for many years, plus looks like you're getting a good deal on the flight and hotel (prepaid?) Just to be sure to check the Krone rate regularly.
snow report
i love skiing in Norway....Hemsedal is my fave followed by Trysill
ski holidays
i love skiing in Norway....Hemsedal is my fave followed by Trysill
latest report
Just back from the Park Inn, it's a lovely hotel. Good value mid-week. It feels a bit 'classier' / less family focused than the Radisson. The best slopes are on the other side near the Radisson however it's fairly quick to ski over or you can take the bus from outside the door of the hotel.

Best thing is that it's truly ski in ski out and they have a great ski room / good rental shop directly in house.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy