Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yet Another Car Hire Rip Off

Poster: A snowHead
Winter tyres, airport fee, extra driver, extra insurance, snowchains, ski racks, transfer buses, child seats, satnav, out of hours, extra charge to drive above the snowline (in Australia and probably Europe next..) - and more....I thought I'd seen them all.

That is until I booked a Munich Airport car with Auto Europe.

No mention until the confirmation has just come through but I now find that - if I am travelling to Austria (which I am) - 'A cross-border fee of €24 will be payable locally.' First I've heard of that after 25 years of hire cars.

WHAT WILL THEY CHARGE FOR NEXT Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mountainaddict, is that because you have to buy their version of a vignette for Austria? we did when we went Switzerland - Austria - Germany.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a new fleecing charge they seem to have worked out, it varies but most/all of them are charging something, though €24 is steep.
Enterprise charged €5 or €10 when i drove to Italy in September.
You still need a vignette
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This cross border charge was quite common in the UK a few years ago. You had to pay extra if you went anywhere else in Europe.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last week, Hertz in GVA (booked through auto-europe) told me if I didn't take out the extra insurance, it would cost me 500 Eu to call their breakdown services in France. That was a new one on me too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If it's booked through Auto Europe you can just cancel it for free up to 48 hours before you go - just try and find a better deal elsewhere?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Chamcham, I also booked in GVA last week, though it was through Argus and Thrifty rather than direct with Hertz. They did mention that if I used the motorway in Switzerland then I would need a vignette, but I could quite easily drive through the town. They did not try to charge me any extra for crossing Switzerland. I am not sure if they even mentioned any extra insurances.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mountainaddict,
We were charged €23 last winter at Munich Airport car hire for cross border travel. Can't remember which company though...

When I questioned it the assistant said the charge was for extra insurance! What bo11ocks eh? Are they really expecting us to believe that one?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I rented a car with thrifty at Genava swiss side. I asked about he vignette as going to France so would be on the motorway. The woman at the desk who was helpful with re fuelling info, told me that I would need their non Swiss recovery as the one with the car only covered Switzerland and not France
As the vast majority of the drive would be in France, I took it as a friend of mine had suffered following two unlucky punctures on the autoroute
The next car was from the French side and I took the risk of the short drive through Geneva not being covered for breakdown and missed the motorway section to avoid the vignette
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mountainaddict, Thats exactly what happened to us in May with AutoEurope. When I first booked, the company stated I couldn't take the car to Austria, even though I had put on the booking directions we were going to Austria. After several phone calls I eventually was given a car (I think it was Europe Car) and assured that it was ok to go to Austria with no extras. When we picked up the car we were charged an extra 38 euros, with a very 'waffly' reason given. Seems to me that its not a set charge but just some random amount.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I take out an annual insurance to cover the "refundable excess" that car hire companies charge - it costs about £30 and covers as many trips as I like. When it's up for renewal, I'll investigate whether there's a similar cross border annual policy.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There are some articles on the web from various car hire former employees who spill the beans on the operating model. Essentially very few elements of the charge are fixed price and its largely a matter of sticking on what they can get away with at whatever price. Of course when you're already at the desk and desperate to get away you aren't in the greatest negotiating position.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dave of the Marmottes, In that case, they'd be really unhappy with me - I always say no to whatever they're offering. It's worked so far...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I didn't do that trip last year, but it sounds like it may be insurance, which is almost totally a scam if you buy it from a car rental agency. Just saying, but if that's what it is, then you don't need to buy it, and you certainly don't need to buy it there. You don't need a vignette unless you're travelling on roads which require it (so you can easily drive to Solden without, for example).

The last car I hired (in Spain), their suggested "insurance" costs were about twice the car rental price: clearly a scam.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chamcham I have such a policy. But isn't the refundable 'excess' in question purely the excess charge in relation to any damage you cause to the vehicle - eg in an accident??

Can't imagine it would cover optional extras like this cross-border scam....
snow report
Thinking about it, when you hire a car in BC they ask you if you're going to take it down to the US - perhaps they charge extra for that. They could argue that you're more likely to get gunshot damage down there, for example. They also charge you extra (significantly extra) for an additional driver, even though only one of you can drive at once and it's obviously safer driving 14 hours in shifts rather than with a single driver. All scams, in that the truth is that it's what they can screw you for.
latest report
@mountainaddict, So far, yes, but I wonder if there's another policy that will cover other eventualities? I expect someone out there has thought of providing such a policy. I'm not due to hire a car for a few months, but I'll look into it when I am
snow conditions
You wont be able to get a policy for it - it is the same as having to pay for a child seat hiring a sat nav/ski carrier etc. I have never come across it but I am renting a car from Swiss side to take to France in Jan so will see what extras get added on
snow report
Cant charge you extra for winter tyres in Germany over the winter, all cars a legally required to have a winter tyre fitted. Ask them why they are charging you extra for them to supply a road legal car and refuse to pay. Worked for me. Refuse to pay extra for snow chains unless they can prove they are new and unused. If you make a fuss and they are busy then quite often they waver their extra charges as its too much hassel and extra paperwork for them.
Or really try and cofuse them by asking for snow tyres and winter chains!
ski holidays
@ADESki, I'm not so sure it is as black and white as that.
Quote:

Refuse to pay extra for snow chains unless they can prove they are new and unused.

why??
Snow chains are not a legal requirement. There are roads that you are prohibited to drive on without them in your car ( they don't even need to be fitted). So they are an 'extra'.
They also create a damage risk to the car.

Quote:

in Germany over the winter, all cars a legally required to have a winter tyre fitted

Not exactly. Like Austria it is a legal requirement to have winter tyres in wintry conditions with snow, slush and heavy ice.
It is not mandatory. So in most of Germany you can keep your summer boots on.
If there are wintry conditions at the time of hiring then it would be a legal requirement.
latest report
Some companies include cross border charges in their initial quotes. Some didn't. Check the smallprint, and book the ones that do include it.
latest report
"Some companies include cross border charges in their initial quotes. Some didn't."

I find the smaller local companies impose cross border fees

From where I hire, I find Hertz and Eurocar car dont
snow report
@mountainaddict, I got stung 8€ a day for the cross border thing last season at MUC, for taking into Austria by europcar scheissters. That was via Holiday Autos, not great for a 8 day return trip. Vowed I'd sort it when I got back but forgot and now can't be faffed, the moments gone. I really do dislike car hire companies, all as bad in my experience.
snow report
@mountainaddict, have hired from budget, hertz, sixt from Munich in recent times with no cross border charges but 'victim' of admin fees (for speeding fines) in the Eastern Reich wink
ski holidays
Quote:

A cross-border fee

What about other breeds? I'll get me coat.

Just checked mine for New Year. I'm with Buchbinder and its a one-off 10 Euro for going to the mean streets of Austria. A small unnecessary fee but one I've not seen before. And anyway, what border?
ski holidays
@Pruman, didn't have any happy border fees either
latest report
For the first time in many years of hiring cars we ran into this cross boarder breakdown charge at Geneva (swiss side)as we were going to france charge (34sf.) That is to insure their car incase it breaks down in another country surely their part of the contract is to supply a reliable vehicle.
Do Ryan air do seminars in add ons?
ski holidays
These companies are TTP, they realise that at 9.30pm on a Friday night when you've been working all day, just flown in and are tired and want to get moving to your resort you are not going to stand and argue about it. When I objected to the cross-border charge being levied and started to get arsy the pimply youth serving got the hump, suddenly stopped his inane banter and called his manager across and they said if I wanted the car I had to pay it, end of. What can you do? rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've not been charged cross-border fees at geneva but never had to call out a breakdown service either. We did have a flat tyre on a Swiss car in France with, needless to say, no spare wheel. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I phoned them and suggested it would be better for me to sort it out locally, and they agreed. Had to get the car towed, then go down to the valley to pick it up, pay for two new tyres (can't mix types.....). Cost a great deal - time and money - but the car was shoved off the road into a snow drift on a mountain road and we had to get it sorted out swiftly. They initially said tyre damage wasn't covered but did eventually refund all the costs as I had paid the excess. That was Europcar.

If that car had had a spare wheel it would have taken all of 15 minutes and zero money to sort out the immediate problem. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Quote:

And anyway, what border?

@Pruman, don't panic... you'll find it on your way back, I can promise you that!

Which has got me thinking. Maybe the congestion over the boarder at the moment may be why these cross boarder charges have become the norm.
It is very likely that returns will be late or that some may use the vehicles for reasons other than going skiing!
latest report
Quote:

or that some may use the vehicles for reasons other than going skiing!

I imagine that most hire cars are used for purposes than skiing. From the size of some of them in the car park at Geneva perhaps for invading other countries.
snow report
If landing at GVA but taking a hire car to France, we used to walk through a corridor to the French side of the airport. Car hire was usually 5% to 10% cheaper on French side than Swiss side, pre-booked. Is it still possible to cross the border on foot inside GVA? Would that avoid the charges highlighted in this thread?
ski holidays
Just booked Budget via Holiday Autos, pick up Munich. Booking says no fee for crossing into most of EU.
ski holidays
@intermediate, Yes it is still possible to walk from the Swiss to French sides of the airport fairly easily, but it is not particularly well signposted. The hire desks have been rearranged a little bit so there is a bit more space around them, but the cafe doesn't look quite as attractive.

However the difference in price between the Swiss and French sides is nowhere near 5 - 10%. I have just costed up a long weekend at the end of January and the Swiss side is 36% more than the French side.
ski holidays
@Ghost Dog, Have you checked the breakdown cover supplement?
snow report
This is where I fell down really. The comparison sites like holiday autos don't have these sort not options and it was only when at the desk that they sting you
snow report
Auto Europe charging for winter tyres at GVA - mischievously asked for a car without them which if course they don't have as that would be illegal at this time of year. Not convinced that was on the terms before I paid but was on voucher you get after you had paid.
ski holidays
Got a quote(swiss Side) for next weekend and noticed that one of the prices had winterisation included no mention of cross border breakdown insurance charge.The add ons will soon come to more than the basic hire.Soon there will be a motorway sticker charge on swiss cars and another charge for using the bus to go to p51 !!!!
snow report
but JohnE, you probably won't get snow tyres or a Swiss vignette on the French side...
ski holidays
Quote:

and another charge for using the bus to go to p51

yep, had this a couple of years ago. Had to get Holiday Autos to step in and force a refund.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy