Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French Alps -near Paris for 1 day skiing

Poster: A snowHead
March 2016- Would like to take 1 day skiing with my family (4). I know good skiing is 5-6 hours from Paris but if I were to take 3 days total, which would be a resort that would be easiest to drive to and also quaint for accommodation with easy access to ski rental and base of mountain.... IE the least stressful place to go for a short time.
Open to also taking Couchette from Paris to a destination again that would be easy access to accommodation/rentals and mountain. We ski and board and are confident skiers but not for off piste.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Couchette / TGV to Les Arcs. You may even have direct trains. Terminus is Bourg St Maurice; from there you have a connecting funicular direct to the skiing. Enjoy... I'd not go as far as describing BSM as quaint, but it's a proper town and not "The North Peckham Estate On Ice".
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Paris is not very close to The Alps -like you are writing: 5-6 hours. And there are no alternatives closer by.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I ski in Canada and everything decent is a long drive. Still worried about how spread out the resorts are in the Alps and how easy it would be to find lodging/rentals. The Rockies in Canada seem easier to figure out... a resort at the base of the mountain. Thanks for any help we can get.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Langerzug wrote:
Paris is not very close to The Alps -like you are writing: 5-6 hours. And there are no alternatives closer by.

are there not? Sure of that?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Never done it, but the TGV is 4-5 hours from Paris to Modane. From there you can ski Valfrejus, La Norma or go the other way, stay in Orelle and ski the Three Valleys. Even Valmeinier /Valloire isn't too far from Modane.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not that I've been there but what about the Vosges region? Group of small and not particularly snow-sure areas, but closer to Paris.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Marinaski, The resorts in the French Alps are relatively close together and are easy to access from Paris so you should have plenty to choose from.
A train directly from Paris to Moutiers or Bourg st Maurice will give you access to the big French resorts - 3 valleys (Meribel, Courchevel, ValThorens) Paradiski (La Plagne, Les Arcs) and Espace Killy (Val d'Isere and Tignes) as well as plenty of other smaller resorts. The trains are very frequent, about 1 an hour during the day and takes about 5 to 6 hours journey time. They do not become available to book until approximately 3 months before the date of travel but have a look at www.sncf.fr for train times and prices in January to give you some idea.
It is easy to hire a car from either station, we use a car hire comparison site (carrentals.co.uk) to find the best deals, but make sure the car rental place is next to the station when you book. We booked a car from Avis in Moutiers last season and the pick up place was about 2 kms away from the station.
Plenty of Parisians drive down and it takes around 6-7 hours in a car depending on traffic. You have tolls to pay but it could work out cheaper than the train for a family of four. You'd have to hire or buy snow chains but they are very good at keeping the roads clear and in March the odds of getting caught in snow are a lot lower than the main winter months.
If you go after the 6th March you will miss the main school holiday periods and accommodation for a short break should not be a problem. Plenty of hotels list on booking.com and Expedia so finding something should not be a problem. Renting an apartment for a short break is not as easy as most places in France tend to rent on a Saturday to Saturday basis.

If you can only ski for one day the best day to ski is a Saturday, it is changeover day so the slopes are pretty quiet then. Some resorts also have a discounted lift pass for Saturday skiing, we (La Plagne) have the samedijeski offer which gives you a good discount on a Saturday.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know someone who works in Paris and comes home by train fri night to ski most weekends in the season .(Megeve st Gervais Area) returns sunday night no problem!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@brock, that's because Paris-Geneva is just over 3 hours by TGV, which is pretty easy.

@Marinaski, train to Geneva and hire a car will get you to a variety of resorts most quickly I'd think. You could easily get two full days skiing in leaving Friday evening returning Sunday evening without too much stress.

Many French resorts are old villages with the skiing accessed from village centers (e.g. Les Gets, Morzine, etc.) But for short breaks, make sure you avoid the French School Holidays when many/most establishments will demand Saturday to Saturday week bookings. (Feb 6 to Mar 7 or so this year IIRC).

You could also, from Geneva consider the Jura resorts if the snow if good enough. Only about 45 mins from Geneva station.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Marinaski, Provided you are going outside the school half term period (ie after March 7th) I would do the following and I am really jealous because I would love to do it:

You mention quaint accomodation: well the couchette from Paris to Bourg st Maurice is about as quaint and authentic as it gets - it feels like a inter war black and white film. They run every night of the week and cost from about 40 euro per person each way.

Now the hard bit: See if you can get rooms in the Hotel Cachette for the single night (they are really geared to 7 day occupancies) in Arc 1600. Though Bourg st Maurice is really the base of the mountain Les Arcs is the centre of the skiing and you just walk out of the hotel door, stroll a few metres, put your skis on and a way you go. If that fails then gradually move further and further afield till you find somewhere. The last time I did this I ended up in a hotel in Aime, which is a long way from the slopes.

Sadly I am not really sure what "quaint" is when it comes to looking for accommodation. Arc 1600 has won commendations for its architechture but is certainly not to everyones taste. The big towns in the valley: Bourg st Maurice, Moutiers etc. are functional working towns, though nice to be in no one would say " wow! that is pretty"
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My preference @Marinaski, as it seems feasible and more efficient to me would be to travel as I suggested.

However, if you fancy the night train experience, there are full details here: http://www.seat61.com/lunea.htm#.Vjs-mByrS70

I've done it a few times and if it's the only option, it's fine, but other options might be easier or more attractive.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Try in the Jura mountains - small hill but very nice - not far from Paris
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am so thankful for all the great suggestions and encouragement that 1 day skiing is worth the effort.
I will keep reading comments and researching. Thank you.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Marinaski, what type of skiing would suit you and your family? Is everyone an experienced skier, or are there some beginners, for example? What difficulty of pistes do you enjoy?
ski holidays
...also, which part of March do you expect to ski? The first week of the month is still French half term school holiday (including Paris area). The last week of March in 2016 is Easter holiday. Both will be busy and more expensive. Snow conditions in lower altitude areas usually deteriorating by late March. Between 5th and 19th March likely to be best time to ski, in a typical season.
snow report
Easter isn't busy in French French resorts (ie those without British package tour operators) and it's generally low season prices for accommodation from the end of the school hols right through to the end of seas. But the second and third weeks of March 2016 should be ideal. Seems a shame to schlep down for one day though.
latest report
Quote:

I ski in Canada and everything decent is a long drive. Still worried about how spread out the resorts are in the Alps and how easy it would be to find lodging/rentals. The Rockies in Canada seem easier to figure out... a resort at the base of the mountain. Thanks for any help we can get.

The Alps resorts are actually generally much easier to deal with than Canadian resorts. Many of the Canadian resorts (with exceptions like Whistler) are based around old mining towns, etc. which are often some distance from the lifts (e.g. Fernie, Banff, Golden, etc.). Most resorts in the Alps will provide a huge amount of ski-to-door accommodation. Booking a short stay can sometimes be complicated as most accommodation is based around Saturday-Saturday 7 night trips, but it's still easy enough, especially outside of peak holiday weeks. Lift passes are generally cheaper than North America and the ski areas are generally (much) bigger.

We actually run ski weekends from our chalet near Bourg Saint Maurice. If you're based in Paris and have 3 days, you could take an evening train down here, do 2 days skiing with 2 nights in the chalet, then take the evening train back to Paris.
snow conditions
Our dates would be would be March 15-17. We lowest level skier is good intermediate (but not liking steep) and we have one boarder teenager.
ski holidays
http://www.nordmag.fr/nord_pas_de_calais/noeux_les_mines/noeux_les_mines.htm

Smile
snow report
@Marinaski, As others have advised, train to Bourg St Maurice and enjoying Les Arcs / La Plagne (Paradiski) area is good for access from Paris and range of pistes. Les Arcs accommodation is not generally 'quaint' except perhaps the Arcs 1950 village.
If train to Geneva followed by rental car is an option, then the 'old fashioned' resorts of Megeve and St Gervais are more attractive. Range of skiing still good, though not as extensive as Paradiski. Megeve is relatively expensive, with a reputation for attracting wealthy visitors.
Another option is Les Gets, another attractive town, with access to the big Portes du Soleil area.
snow report
Take a look at the Milk Hotel in Les Carroz. TGV to Geneva as suggested. Car hire and an hour to Les Carroz. The Milk Hotel is cosy, welcoming, on piste and will help you with ski hire-I think they will get a local ski shop to deliver. They definitely do weekend bookings. The skiing is extensive as it's part of the Grand Massif ski area.
Jacques at Zigzag sports was very helpful and friendly for rental kit when we spent a couple of seasons renting a place there. Les C is an attractive village with a few nice restaurants and bars. Like other resorts close-ish to Geneva, it does get the the weekend crowd so isn't as quiet as some on Saturdays. As @stevomcd, says-the accessibility of the skiing from the resorts is very different to north America. As in-it's easy-once you are in a ski resort it's quite easy to get about without the use of a car!
latest report
@Marinaski, may I ask why only one day?
ski holidays
@pam w,
Quote:

Easter isn't busy in French French resorts

Hi pam w - would you mind telling me names of resorts/areas you know are not busy during Easter holiday please? In particular between 25 Mar and 3 Apr 2016.
snow conditions
What about the Auvergne. Beautiful scenery and Le Mont Dore (linked to nearby SuperBesse) is 4 hours drive from Paris. Plenty of skiing for a day or two including exceptional off-piste if the conditions are right. Cheaper than the Alps, plenty of accommodation options and a bit different.
snow report
Take Stevomcd up on his offer - 3 days skiing then an easy train ride back. Bosh. Far easier than driving down and back and one of the world's nicest small name resorts. I'm sure he'd shuttle you to BSM if you fanicied a day in Les Arcs too.
snow report
One day skiing is all we can do on this trip as teenagers want to make sure to see the Paris sites (parents want to ski). I am leaning towards the couchette thanks to great information sent about book it from @under a new name. This saves a full day of travel. We don't want to rent a car from the train station so which stop is best to the nicest ski experience (village-accommodation- an enough mountain for 1 ski day). Would we be best getting off train at Moutier (then which mountain is there) or D'Aime La Plagne or Bourge st. Maurice?
snow report
@Marinaski, Bourg St Maurice. You can get the funicular from there up to Les Arcs. You'd have a bit of a drive/taxi/bus from Moutiers to anywhere else.

@intermediate, pretty much anywhere is quiet at Easter. Although on a very poor snow year we ended up queueing a fair amount in Les Arcs, but that was because a lot of the runs lower down were closed due to lack of cover (the only Easter we've had poor Easter conditions). 2 years ago at Easter in Serre Chavalier we barely saw another person beyond lunchtime some days.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 6-11-15 23:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Marinaski, Bourg, although 30 mins down the line from Moutier, is a better bet for getting the funicular straight to the slopes. I'd opine you are more likely to be actually on the snow more quickly that way.

As the guys say, 1950 is the 'quaint' bit of Les Arcs for immediate piste access, [you'll be familiar with Intrawest-cum-Disney alpine fantasy] but Villaroger probably the most authentic village - albeit you've a couple of lifts to take up to get to the majority of the domain.

More than you could possibly ski in a day - see some of the "I visited Les Arcs for a day from London and didn't even stay overnight" threads: Sparklies the most recent, holidayloverxxx the original day tripper.

Samedeijeski also applies to Les Arcs.

HTH
ski holidays
@hammerite, Easter is getting busier. the TOs are seeing a lot of places already booked out for w/c 26th, unlike Christmas. People have worked out it's:

a) cheaper
b) warmer
c) longer days
d) not the end of the season
e) you can wait 'n see what snow is where, unlike taking a punt on pre-season booking of December.
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, I think Easter ski hols have been helped this year and next by the very early Easter school hols. If this eventually shifts back to a week or two later I think you'll get a lot of people scared at heading out "so late in the season".

We did Saalbach last year, it was a lot busier than our other Easter trips, but we still hardly queued for a lift all week.
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, in France, the answer is to stay off the TO track. After the vacances scolaire most French people seem to consider their season done and the shops are full of bikes and tents.
ski holidays
@pam w,
Quote:

in France, the answer is to stay off the TO track

Are you keeping these quiet resorts to yourself, so they stay quiet? Surely they'd be much more fun if mobbed by snowHeads? wink
@hammerite,
Quote:

pretty much anywhere is quiet at Easter

I was in Courchevel Easter 2015 and didn't think the 3Vs was quiet. Quieter than Feb half term and New Year, sure, but not by very much.
snow report
@intermediate, if you go to a honneypot then it's bound to be busy.

Try somewhere you've never heard of. Here's a few to go at:
http://smbt.g-r-c.fr/userfile/file/1442566235_GuideNeige_2015-BD.pdf
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy