Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any preferance for French Bank account?

Poster: A snowHead
About to open a French bank account.

Any to avoid or are they all OK?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Britain with Credit Agricole is good if your French is less than brilliant as you can always speak to someone in English. I've been very happy with my account.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Credit Agrocole de Savoie in Moutiers has an English speaking account manager who was very helpful in setting it all up if the localle fits.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've found HSBC Premier reasonable. English website and phone lines help.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
britline CA.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No probs with Banque Savoie.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I meant Britline. Typo
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We have an account with Barclays France, we had to open it with them as part of the mortgage.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had a Societe General account when I was there for a year. They were poo-poo; although that may have been because I was a student and had very little money, so they didn't care.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another happy Britline user. Been with them for 14 years and not had any problems.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Philip1972, where (in France)?

If it's a local branch, much depends on the local staff I find. We have had very mixed experiences with Credit Agricole des Savoie in Chamonix. Others have had good experiences.

Britline sound much more like a standard UK style call centre based operation, which at least means homogeneity of service.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 5-11-15 13:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, just what I was going to say.

We use CIC and they are very good. You have to pop in alot to start with but I have the direct line and email address of my bank manager and she sorts everything out for me.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CA Britline make it easy to open an account online and are easy to deal with, they have apps and English and most of their customers have holiday homes in France so they have good insurance products etc. However, due to the French have a regional banking system its certainly more convenient to have your bank account in the same "department" as the one you live in.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CA Britline lost several hundred euros in cash which CA in Monetier allowed to be paid in, but then decided it couldn't accept. All to do with it being a separate region. Britline handled it badly, which included closing my account because it had no money in it, despite the money being somewhere in their system. Barclays France have been fine up until now.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Most french bank accounts are more expensive, faffy and less good than in the Uk in my experience.

We use credit agricole who we are mostly - but not totally - happy with - I'd maybe give them a 6/10. I've also heard good things about the post office accounts which are cheaper than regular banks.

Who you have as a conseiller makes a big difference even within the same branch so ask to be moved to someone else if they aren't helpful.
snow conditions
Again my advice would be go local - you can then pop in and sort things out face to face. Language is now less of a problem as most of 'young France' has embraced English. I'm with Banque de Savoie, more expensive than UK, a bit more bureaucratic than the UK (as I most French banks I think) but when I walk through the door I get a 'Bonjour Monsieur Chocksaway' despite only going in their once or twice a year. When they thought there was an issue with my bank card they called me on my UK mobile - told me they were blocking it and sent me another in 4 days.
latest report
unfortunately, @Snow and Sunshine, if you are operating in France, you more or less need a French a/c.
snow conditions
I use Britline and am pleased I have as I think they make things easier if like mine your French isn't great and you're not used to the system. The French system is very frustrating though.
ski holidays
I also use Britline and recommend them.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy