Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz first week of Jan: when to book?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After a splendid week in Les Gets last year, I am planning a week in Avoriaz with my son week beginning 2nd Jan. We have chosen Avoriaz as it should be more snow sure, will open up a larger ski area, and we can still spend a nostalgic day in Les Gets!

My question is when to book. If I book before end of November there is a 10% discount on ski passes. But could there be better late deals that would save me more money? And is it prudent to wait until I can be sure of the snow coverage?

Any advice welcomed!

Thanks in anticipation.

Stodge
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Getting to Les Gets from Avoriaz can be a bit of a faff. Either lift down to to Prodains then a bus to Morzine of Nyon, or if the snow is good ski down Super Morzine and get the bubble down into Morzine, walk across town and get the lifts up to pleney.
Other than that Avoriaz is snow sure, my only issue with it is that if the snow isn't great elsewhere it gets very busy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A lot depends how fussy you are. In general leave it last minute and you'll get the best deals but there's both the risk of only the worst/no accomodation being left. Unless you're going full package you'll end up paying top dollar for flights. Book now and you'll get a better choice of accomodation and cheaper flights (if booking independently) but will have to pay more.

That said I was chatting to someone in the industry on the weekend and it seems the great unwashed masses have gone "There wasn't much snow at the start of the 2014 season therefore there won't be much snow at the start of the 2015 season so I'm going to go later in the season." because the weather's EXACTLY the same every year... Anyway it sounded like there should be a raft of Christmas/New Years offers in the comming weeks as the tour operators have their usual number of beds and aircraft seats but not the usualy numbers of customers booked so could be worth booking when they drop.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks to you both. So the plan could be book flights to Geneva now but hold off booking accommodation to nearer the time. As a last resort I could always do the long transfer to Val Thorens if there isn't snow anywhere else!

At the moment there is a huge amount of accommodation available in Avoriaz, Les Gets and also Flaine. I may keep an eye on the availability and leap in if they start to get booked.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The first two weeks in Jan are the quietest/cheapest weeks of the season, so booking late on you will be able to get some great deals
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, book your flights, then wait till much closer to the time. But to get the best out of last minute deals don't set your heart on a specific resort. Be flexible.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy