Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Most snow sure last week of January?

Poster: A snowHead
Trying to decide where to go this year and the Alps are still far too warm for my liking. At this point the three main contenders are St Anton, PDS and Val D. Are any of these likely to be better than the others at that time?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't be daft.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Although, to answer your question - you've picked two very high, snow-sure resorts and one very low one. I'll let you figure it out from there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know PDS is lower but never having skied it or St Anton I thought I would ask.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They will all have snow.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's only November it's not uncommon for the fields to still be green. However if it gets to the 20th December and they still are that's when I'll be concerned.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If the Alps are ''far too warm for you'', go somewhere colder (you will only be disappointed otherwise)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spent 1 season and had 3 holidays in the PDS-never again. Disappointed every time Spent SEVEN seasons and had 2 holidays in the Arlberg, Seasons-5 in Lech, 2 in St Anton+ 2 holidays-NEVER disappointed, even last season when it was a very poor start. Plus of course the WELCOME in Austria is massively better than anywhere in France. Val Disere is pretty snow sure and has a much nicer ambiance than some other French resorts. Had 2 holidays there and it was good.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd recommend Val d'Isere if you want snow sure.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
.... Val Disere is pretty snow sure and has a much nicer ambiance than some other French resorts. Had 2 holidays there and it was good.

Wow really? Looks like i won't be exploring much further into France then....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Levi215 wrote:

Wow really? Looks like i won't be exploring much further into France then....

You'd make decisions based on a single comment from a random internet stranger?

Weird.

Many reasons to explore France - or Italy - or Austria, etc. ... rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
xtr wrote:
Trying to decide where to go this year and the Alps are still far too warm for my liking. At this point the three main contenders are St Anton, PDS and Val D. Are any of these likely to be better than the others at that time?

All three are big resorts with plenty of high altitude skiing and late January there will always be plenty of snow in these areas. You should be considering all the other factors that make up the decision rather than snow conditions - which could change at the last minute anyhow.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Where is PDS or what is PDS?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DrLawn wrote:
Where is PDS or what is PDS?

It's an acronym for Port Du Soleil.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Portes De Solais A large linked ski area across Fance AND Switzerland with several villages
latest report
Portes De Soleil A large linked ski area across Fance AND Switzerland with several villages
snow report
Portes du Soleil - It's a large ski area which contains many towns and resorts. These include Avoriaz, Morzine, Les Gets, Chatel, Abondance, La Chapelle d'Abondance, St Jean d'Aulps, Torgon, Morgins, Champoussin, Les Crosets and Champery (i may have missed some).

It is in France and Switzerland, about an hour from Geneva.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
You'd make decisions based on a single comment from a random internet stranger?

rolling eyes

No....
ski holidays
Why would you need to make your mind up now about where to go in a very low season week?

And I wouldn't pay much attention to anyone who thinks Val D'isere has the nicest ambiance in France Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Pam W. I didn't say VDI has the nicest merely that it was better than some. Point taken?
ski holidays
Quote:

Val Disere is pretty snow sure and has a much nicer ambiance than some other French resorts.

To be fair if vomiting loud Brit Middle class yobbery is your thing it is nicer than most.
snow report
oh. @Levi215. Irony.

Not on a Wednesday afternoon please, it's games hour.
ski holidays
@T Bar, I must say I haven't ever experienced this in Val. I have more of an issue with the middle aged "more money than class" types with accents from the south east than anything else!
latest report
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
Portes De Solais A large linked ski area across Fance AND Switzerland with several villages

Old Man Of Lech wrote:
Portes De Soleil A large linked ski area across Fance AND Switzerland with several villages

Go on - third time lucky. NehNeh
snow report
@FastCarver74,
I exaggerate slightly but have seen it. I actually don't mind V D'I and ski there a fair bit but Ambiance is well down the list of it's attractions even compared with other French resorts.
snow conditions
Surely there can only be one last week in January....?
snow report
I think most Alpine resorts will hang their heads in shame if they can't produce snow to your liking by the end of January (which is normally the coldest month of the year).
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
@FastCarver74,
I exaggerate slightly but have seen it. I actually don't mind V D'I and ski there a fair bit but Ambiance is well down the list of it's attractions even compared with other French resorts.

I'd struggle to name anywhere that I've been (skiing or otherwise) where I HAVEN'T seen vomitting Brits, it's one of our few cultural traits Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bloomin 'eck SnoodyMcFlude - in over 30 years of foreign holidays - sun and ski - I've fortunately only seen 'vomiting Brits syndrome' twice - in San Antonio, Ibiza and somewhere in Tenerife whose name escapes me....And never in a ski resort.

Tell us where you've been! Or are you gonna come clean and admit that you are the perpetrator wink??
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Tell us where you've been! Or are you gonna come clean and admit that you are the perpetrator wink??

I can neither confirm, nor deny, that unsubstantiated slight on my person Very Happy

Barcelona and Milan spring to mind, although for both they happened to coincide with a sporting event that meant a number of Brits being in town.(And in Stockholm I might have had a minor stomach upset)
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
... in over 30 years of foreign holidays - sun and ski - I've fortunately only seen 'vomiting Brits syndrome' twice - in San Antonio, Ibiza and somewhere in Tenerife whose name escapes me....And never in a ski resort.

I think you may have let a very sheltered life.

Try the Whistler bus loop at midnight, almost any night in season. Vomit, Brits, all over the place. 30 years ago there were no Brits and actually not a lot of vomit. Go figure.

Val d'Isere, any night in season, 3 in the morning. People shouting at each other in between vomits in the street? Not a nice place for people to stay unless you've taken ear plugs/ are a heavy sleeper.

Most smaller resorts are fine, it's the places they bus in the tourists which seem to suffer. Other nationalities also have alcohol problems, but you tend to notice Brits more, if you are one.
ski holidays
Cloggies, Scandis and American college kids can all give Brits a good run when it comes to being pissed up and clueless in ski resorts. Add to that German middle aged men if you're a number of places in Austria.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Bloomin 'eck SnoodyMcFlude - in over 30 years of foreign holidays - sun and ski - I've fortunately only seen 'vomiting Brits syndrome' twice - in San Antonio, Ibiza and somewhere in Tenerife whose name escapes me....

Veronica's - Playa De Las Americas most likely Smile
snow conditions
Still trying to get my head round the original post -
4th November too warm Puzzled -
main contenders for snowsureness in last week of January Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
PeteMan wrote:
Veronica's - Playa De Las Americas most likely Smile

Las Americas would be my bet too, there's a place down near the Hotel Conquistador that I wouldn't be surprised to see a few people stumbling out of Very Happy
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

And I wouldn't pay much attention to anyone who thinks Val D'isere has the nicest ambiance in France Laughing Laughing Laughing

For a start, that's not what he said, and just because you hate it doesn't mean everyone else is wrong.

I didn't think much of Serre Chevalier, but that doesn't mean it's a crap resort, far from it. I also don't badmouth it every chance I get.

If someone thought Serre Che had a fantastic atmosphere, good for them - I wouldn't be rude enough to dismiss their opinion of it, or any other resort.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 6-11-15 11:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@HoneyBunny, Having been to Val D'I twice (one week each time) + another week in Tignes, I consider my inability to appreciate its ambience on either occasion an inexplicable failing on my part. With much trepidation, I have to confess that I think I have enjoyed every other French resort (except possibly Les Gets) I visited more than Val, and that includes all or most of the usual suspects. I feel the same about music - whenever someone enthuses about a particular singer, band or genre (e.g. Kanye West), I often feel bemused and bewildered, but also frustrated at my own inability to share their enthusiasm. I really wish that I could have enjoyed the place. Sad
ski holidays
Tatman's Tours wrote:
@HoneyBunny, Having been to Val D'I twice (one week each time) + another week in Tignes, I consider my inability to appreciate its ambience on either occasion an inexplicable failing on my part. With much trepidation, I have to confess that I think I have enjoyed every other French resort (except possibly Les Gets) I visited more than Val, and that includes all or most of the usual suspects. I feel the same about music - whenever someone enthuses about a particular singer, band or genre (e.g. Kanye West), I often feel bemused and bewildered, but also frustrated at my own inability to share their enthusiasm. I really wish that I could have enjoyed the place. Sad

I just don't like the French Very Happy
snow conditions
@mayr, I've often heard this but have to say that I have liked virtually all of the French people that I've met in my life (including - possibly most of all - the French family who own an apartment next door to us in Saalbach!) In Val D most of the people I bumped into seemed to be Brits or Aussies.

During our extended stays in Saalbach (which is most certainly a cosmopolitan melting-pot), and particularly in the cable cars, mountain restaurants and at the apres-ski parties, we are continually struck by the uninhibited friendliness and sociability of people from other European countries - in particular the Dutch, the Germans, the Scandinavians, the Slovenians, and of course the Austrians themselves. It isn't unusual for us to find that we've been included in a round of drinks or bought some shots by people who just happen to be standing near us, sharing our table or even sitting at the next table - often without any prior conversation. The fact that they so often seem to speak English fluently, and like to demonstrate or practise their English, no doubt has a lot to do with it. However (at risk of generalising, which I'm always cautious about doing) they also seem to be generally relaxed about engaging in conversations with complete strangers, and in fact quite keen to do so. The ones who can sometimes show a tendency to be a little insular and reserved are (dare I say it) the Brits (but obviously not all), who are often content in their own family or social group but shy of strangers, and also those who don't learn English as a second language at school, such as Russians and people from certain eastern European countries. I don't think it's all to do with language, although those Europeans who are comfortable using English as the lingua franca seem quite happy to natter away to each other, albeit often with heavy accents, and those who know only their native language will understandably tend to avoid social contact with other nationals. There are no doubt many other factors that come into play, e.g. age, intelligence, confidence, sobriety, etc.

Sorry to ramble and stray off-topic, but it's something that interests me - and it will off course have a bearing on whether people who visit a particular ski resort enjoy the social scene there. Anyone got any thoughts?
latest report
Tatman's Tours wrote:

I went to Val a few times when I was younger and didn't think much of the place at all, nor did I when I stayed more recently at the far end of the resort in La Daille. It's only been since I've been going there more regularly that I've really fallen for the place. The people you spend the week with, good knowledge of the resort and a real shared sense of fun are what makes or breaks it. But above all, for me, the skiing there is truly fabulous. Not to mention the old part of town is very pretty.

I can kind of see why it wasn't for you though, you'd have hated the likes of the Folie Douce, Cafe Face and the Moris. I think you might like the new place Cocorico though. Val can also be horribly showy and pretentious - not as bad as Courchevel 1850, but it's very 'look at me' in the way Austrian resorts generally are not.

Your beloved Saalbach is indeed a very special place though, certainly my favourite (that I've been to) in Austria, and firmly ticks every single box.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy