Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How busy might the Dolomites be 2 - 9 Jan?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all, after much useful advice in the past, I wondered if help might be forthcoming on a trip to the Dolomites in the first week of Jan? Am particularly wondering about how busy things might be and whether Italy is still on holiday then (and if that is relevant)? Have always wanted to ski there having hiked there in the past, and we had to cancel our family summer hol in that area due to me being rather seriously ill and needing time in hospital rather than up mountains. But now in a position to start planning again and wondered what people thought. We usually fly or drive to France (nearly always Serre Chevalier) and are based in the North East, so options can be a bit limiting. Likely to be flight and car hire route, and preferably an apartment, as we are a family with a 5 and 9 year old and that just seems easier. Suggestions of where in the Dolomites welcome too! Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never skied there at this time of year so can't tell you how busy it will be. I've skiied quite a bit in teh Dollies thought.
In my experience the main Sella Ronda route can get quite busy but as soon as you venture off it it gets alot quieter. Sella and Oretsei are probably the busiest places along with Marmolada.
The best skiing off the Ronda IMHO is Coravara/San Cassiano. Lots to explore, quiet and classy.
If you don't mind being not linked to the Sella Ronda then Civetta is small but fantastic and always quiet and Madonna in the Brenta Dolomites has a fair amount of skiing linked to Pinzolo and Folgarida and is a really lovely place. Cortina is lovely but quite strung out in terms of resort convenience. Kronplatz was the venure for the pre Birthday Bash last year. I got the feeling from those who went that they'd skiied it in a couple of days and wanted more to explore.

Also, bear in mind, it's still quite early so you might want somewhere with skiing at altitude and or lots of snow making.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The 1st week in Jan will be very busy. It's a holiday in Italy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lisa_BrentaSki wrote:
The 1st week in Jan will be very busy. It's a holiday in Italy.

http://www.schoolholidayseurope.eu/italy.html shows Italian school holidays ending Tues 5th.

Is that incorrect?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@cameronphillips2000, thanks so much for those suggestions and thoughts. I had wondered about Civetta having walked there, as well as Madonna, which sounds lovely. But sounds like the Italian holiday dates may be a challenge. We are also planning an easter trip (from about 23rd March) although guessing that it is relatively late for the Dolomites?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
"We are also planning an easter trip (from about 23rd March) although guessing that it is relatively late for the Dolomites?"

Depends on the conditions at that time. The sella ronda route was open right through to the end of the season last winter as I recall. We left Corvara on the 21st March this year and right up to that point all pistes in the area were open. Some lower pistes in Colfosco that were directly in the sun were starting to get slushy in the afternoon during our last two days but they are at an elevation of only 1600metres. No such problems on any pistes higher up. If your worried about conditions in March then I would wait until closer to the time and book

If your still planning to go in early January then I would check accomodation availability first if your planning DIY. Accomodation in the popular Dolomite resorts does get booked up early and I suspect you'll have limited availability for that period.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jimmybog, thanks, useful advice. We usually ski in the Southern French alps in early April and so sounds like it could fit with what we are used to and enjoy - but as you say, probably best to wait on conditions. Was thinking that, if easter is an option and Italy might be busy early Jan, we could develop a different plan!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Civetta is always very quiet, even in holiday times. As for late March? We skied Corvara once in the first week in April. It hadn't snowed for over a month and the mountains were green apart from pretty much all the pistes which were open due to their unbelievable snow making facilities. However, it was very very slushy on all but the highest slopes on the whole Sella Ronda area. It could be a risk.
Late seaon skiing in the Dollies is certainly not like Tignes or VT.

If I was going in the first week of January I probably would go for Civetta. It will be the quiestest resort in the area and, if snow is sparse, you've got a twenty minute bus ride from Alleghe to the base of the Marmolada cable car. You can also take a bus from the Val De Zoldo side up to Cinque Torre which is, though small, fairly high and simply stunning. It's also not a massive drive from Treviso or Venice Airports. If you've got a car then the options are even greater for days out to other areas. The great joy of the Dolomites is touring.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@cameronphillips2000, great suggestions - much appreciated. That was my slight fear about later in the season. Will start some Civetta explorations - great suggestion re Cinque Torre and glad touring about would work well.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can stay on two sides of the Civetta mountain. Alleghe is beautiful -a lakeside town with more to do but the skiing is slightly trickier - reds to get back down.
Zoldo Alto side - not much of a town, little to do off the slopes but easier skiing for kids and a wonderful night skiing section with the longest floodlit slope in Europe. Booking.com will offer opportunites for places to stay.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To tag onto this thread. What will it be like a week later?
As in I know this is an unanswerable question because no one knows what the snow will be like but has anyone any idea about the long term record and will it be quiet.
My usual practice for early holidays is to wait and see where the snow has fallen but we have friends who have invited us along and we have committed to going. Quite excited about it as the Dolomites are a place I have always wanted to visit but not quite got around to doing so.
Off to Canazei for the week. Are there any must dos or anything to avoid?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@cameronphillips2000, brilliant info again. I had remembered from hiking around Alleghe that things looked a bit steep for our 5 year old but funny how it is hard to tell when there is no snow on the ground.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"Are there any must dos..." don't ignore to Alba ski area which is a short bus journey up the valley from Canazei. Separate for the 'Ronda' , is much quieter with some very good runs..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@T Bar, I've skied the first and second weeks in most parts of Italy and apart from one dodgy year way back the snow was always good. Sella Ronda area has amazing snow making facilities and so unless there are high temps persisting btwn about end of Nov and Jan then you are going to be skiing.

I went to Canazei a few years back and loved it, the only downside to it back then was that the queue to get up the gondola in the morning cld be a faff, but not that big a deal tbh. Since then there are new options to explore from that valley (other than heading straight on to the Sella Ronda) and so I reckon it is an even better good option.

The second week will be quieter as the Epiphany holiday is over (although maybe a few Russians still around, at least those who can still afford it post Rouble trouble) but I'd certainly not discount either of the weeks re concerns of queues. The trick in those parts is largely about only using the Sella Ronda when you have to; get off it and you're into calmer waters. The food & drink are of course amazing in quality and value.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Double Bombardino wrote:
@T Bar, I've skied the first and second weeks in most parts of Italy and apart from one dodgy year way back the snow was always good. Sella Ronda area has amazing snow making facilities and so unless there are high temps persisting btwn about end of Nov and Jan then you are going to be skiing.

^ +1

A couple of years back on a trip to the Sella Ronda area there hadn't been any new snow for several weeks and with quite warm conditions I remember there was one area where as you went up on a chairlift there was hardly any snow left on the surrounding ground, but the pistes themselves were still fine. Very Happy
snow report
@T Bar, you'll be fine! Like @Alastair Pink, said there is always snow on the pistes mainly due to the great snow making facilities.

And I've never experience massive queues either ... But that may be me just getting lucky.
ski holidays
MBSki wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, thanks so much for those suggestions and thoughts. I had wondered about Civetta having walked there, as well as Madonna, which sounds lovely. But sounds like the Italian holiday dates may be a challenge. We are also planning an easter trip (from about 23rd March) although guessing that it is relatively late for the Dolomites?

While I know you can't judge a resort based on one years experience ...... We were in MdC for that March week three years ago and we had nearly a metre of fresh snow during our stay. The locals didn't think it unusual. Don't write off MdC too quickly.
latest report
@MBSki, That's Russian new year- although there are likely to be less of them these days than a few years ago
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, thanks for that. I am keen not to write Madonna off. We have had some very warm weeks in Serre Chevalier and still loved it. Guess we can also watch and wait more easily for less busy weeks than Italian hols and Russian new year.
latest report
@foxtrotzulu, thanks for that. I am keen not to write Madonna off. We have had some very warm weeks in Serre Chevalier and still loved it. Guess we can also watch and wait more easily for less busy weeks than Italian hols and Russian new year.
ski holidays
MBSki wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, brilliant info again. I had remembered from hiking around Alleghe that things looked a bit steep for our 5 year old but funny how it is hard to tell when there is no snow on the ground.

We used to take school trips and stay at Zoldo alto -brilliant for beginners. They used to love the night skiing. By the end the week the were skiing over to alleghe and back. A beginner would also cope with cinque Torre and Cortina
snow conditions
Thanks for all the answers sounds very promising.
snow conditions
@T Bar, was about to say just the same. Brilliant, and thank you all.
snow conditions
albob wrote:
"Are there any must dos..." don't ignore to Alba ski area which is a short bus journey up the valley from Canazei. Separate for the 'Ronda' , is much quieter with some very good runs..

Although this season you won't need to take the bus to get to Alba from the Sella Ronda (Belvedere area above Canazei) as there is a new lift going down to Alba from the Sella Ronda. I suspect this will make the Alba area a bit busier, but probably still relatively quiet.
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/N3giAJpQA2c

This may get you in the mood. It's some video I shot from the Bday Bash last year. From 4.54 is at Civetta, skiing down the Zoldo side to Pecol to get the bus up to Cinque Torre. It gives you an idea how quite it is bearing in mind this was February, you'll also see how perfect the gradients are for beginners. From 7.00 is the hidden valley run down to the horse drawn carriage.
Most of the skiing before that is taken in Val Gardena and the ski down to Ortisei.
The stills at 39 secs are from the Top of Marmolada whilst the still at 1.09 is one of the chairlifts at Cinque Torre - both great days out and a short buse ride from Civetta - You can do both in one day if you do the Great War Ring circiut and the queues aren't too big to go up Marmolada.

Hope this gives you a feel for it.
snow conditions
@cameronphillips2000, that is fab, thank you. Had promised myself a day of trying to think about something else, and now this!? Really kind of you to post that with the guide to what is when - much appreciated. Looks to be some ideal stuff for us, and as for the scenery ...
snow report
[quote="MBSki"]@cameronphillips2000, that is fab, thank you. Had promised myself a day of trying to think about something else, and now this!?

Apologies. The only way I get through the times away from the slopes is to talk and post about it. I guess us Snowheads are only going to get worse over the next two months.

As for the scenery - no pictures or videos can really do it justice.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy