Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The biggest jump of all World Cup downhills is ...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
... err ... I'm not sure!

Could it be the 'Hundschopf' - the Dog's Head - on the long and demanding Lauberhorn course, which will be raced at Wengen next weekend 13-14 January?

Sean Newsom takes a leisurely run down the Lauberhorn for today's Sunday Times - click here - and highlights the drop-off involved:
Quote:
“When the downhillers hit the Hundschopf they’re not skiing. They’re flying. [says Sammy Salm, Newsom's guide for the day] They take off up there,” he says, pointing to the top of the slope, above us on our left. “And then,” he says, sweeping his arm in a 180-degree arc and pointing to a spot about 50ft beyond us on our right, “they land there. You can count the seconds they’re in the air. Jump-two-three-land. And they’ve covered 150ft.”

Don't know if that's a definitive measurement of how far the racers fly off that jump, but is it the longest? Maybe Martin Bell will spot this and give us a rough ranking of the longest and most testing jumps on the World Cup circuit.

In the meantime, Britain's current leading downhiller Finlay Mickel has filed a diary of his state of play for The Scotsman: click here.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 10-01-06 8:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think the biggest jump used to be on the Val Gordina course and were called the camel humps. There was i think three humps and some of the braver downhillers used to clear two of the humps in one jump.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Almost all the racers now jump the Camels at Val Gardena, although this year the course was set around the jumps to avoid them, because the new snow and headwind meant that they would not have had enough speed to clear them. That's certainly the highest air on any DH course - a "gap jump" that existed long before that term was invented. First man to jump them: Uli Spiess in 1980 - probably after his customary pre-race Jaegertee!
The Hundschopf is a steep drop but relatively low speed because of the S-bend above it. The Mausefalle at Kitz is probably one of the longest, with a good steep landing area all the way down. The Chamonix Les Houches course, although otherwise technically relatively undemanding, has a couple of huge jumps.
However, it is not pure size that makes a jump difficult, but whether there is a turn immediately before or after it. If you get the turn wrong beforehand, then the jump can take you off the course and into the net, as with Reinstadler when he died on the Wengen finish jump in 1991.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Martin Bell, I don't think anyone is going to challenge that opinion! We are humbled Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy