Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

are my skis too short?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi I'm new here. Got a question about the skis I'm using. I'm 183cm and just shy of 80Kg and I have been skiing maybe around 20 seasons give or take. My skis currently are Head isupershape magnum and they are 170cm long. I was having a chat with a friend of mine (who's a more experienced skier than me) the other day and he seems to be of the opinion that my skis are too short for me?

I wasn't that fussed to start with as I have no complaint about my skis but currently I'm thinking of buying a pair of fatter skis, probably all mountain (my current skis are 71 cm under my feet and they are heavy so sink easily if i take them off piste). Thinking of blizzard brahma - should I be getting the 180cm or the 187cm version? Any advice? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@daredevil,

- 20 seasons or 20 weeks (or somewhere in between)?

- the skis don't know how tall you are - just what you weigh

Quote:
they are heavy so sink easily

It's not the weight of the skis that's doing that...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
20 weeks I mean
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@daredevil, I am 812cm, and just under 80kg - and find 170cm performance skis just fine for piste skiing. For more mixed, or off piste something longer as well as wider would seem sensible - up to about 180cm I would suggest - I have 178 Missions, but tht is just the size they came in, the next size up was too long.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Per these guys http://www.powder7.com/head-ski-size-chart-and-sizing-guide your weight is borderline the 170 and 177.

Additional length won't make life any easier. Neither on nor off piste.

I wouldn't go longer.

Note the Brahma is more a piste than off-piste oriented ski.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RobinS wrote:
@daredevil, I am 812cm, and just under 80kg - and find 170cm performance skis just fine for piste skiing. For more mixed, or off piste something longer as well as wider would seem sensible - up to about 180cm I would suggest - I have 178 Missions, but tht is just the size they came in, the next size up was too long.

You a big motherf ucker
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
there's a thread on epicski about sizing up http://www.epicski.com/t/125145/blizzard-brahma-consider-sizing-up

@under a new name - you have any other skis to recommend? I'm aware brahma is piste oriented. I'd like to think I spend 50/50 on and off piste but I think in reality it's more than 70/30 on/off piste
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@daredevil, The Bonafide is it's big brother - but it's quite a stiff ski allegedly.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am 95kg so an even bigger mother.

I would say 174cm and up, anything shorter I find them a bit unstable.

Do beware of the whole go longer debate, I fell for that a while back and went for some 181cm ski's and regretted it. I would say 174-178 is the sweet spot i am about 185cm tall so guessing that your 812cm is actually 182cm we are fairly similar, i am just heavier than you.

I am currently on a 177cm 90mm underfoot fat ski with no metal, and that is considered to be very flexible and I have no stability problems at speed, and i find them to be nice and manouvable at low speed, important when you have kids in tow and spend large part of your day pottering. Soon as my daugther starts owning me I may revert to something with a bit more poke.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Legend. wrote:
RobinS wrote:

You a big motherf ucker

But skinny.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy