Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tracks are not always to be trusted

Poster: A snowHead
Have posted this elsewhere, but if it saves someone's skin (it was apparently first posted by Telluride Ski Patrol) ... it's worth a general airing ...

http://www.newschoolers.com/videos/watch/693582/Be Nice please!-----FUUUCK-?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5635b88004d3016940683843&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook#IMec5vpH9t0uOFRK.97
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's why you need a guide if you don't know the area.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was he okay?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
following tracks was never a good idea way back when the less desirable outcome was that the trackees were either lost or a lot more skilled than you were. (skilled, not a-killed)

These days when quite likely they have wings...

No amount of Red Bull will help.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 1-11-15 16:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LeFou wrote:
Was he okay?

obviously the camera is ok
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name,

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well he was a bit of a tool really, not just for following tracks, but for going too fast to stop when he couldn't see where the terrain went.

Still, at least he got down it!

I slow down when I can't see where a piste goes, never mind in the middle of nowhere.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I slow down when I can't see where a piste goes...

Quite!

There could have been a little child below...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@abc, But he was wearing a helmet...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Natural selection at work.

I believe that there have been issues in some French resorts favoured by paraskiers, to the extent they have put up signs to try an stop people following them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PowderAdict wrote:
Natural selection at work.

I believe that there have been issues in some French resorts favoured by paraskiers, to the extent they have put up signs to try an stop people following them.

I know it shouldn't but that did make me laugh. Darwin at work again. Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Apparently he was ok - but should use his eyes more, the cliff sign on the tree is a give away really.( had to watch it twice )

We're always wary of following other folks tracks when not knowing the terrain, even inbounds.

Glad he is still able to ski and tell the tale afterwards.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Apparently he was ok - but should use his eyes more, the cliff sign on the tree is a give away really.( had to watch it twice )

It's much worse when there's NO track to follow!

I skied past the BACK side of a sign in Kirkwood. I was making fresh track after a storm. I was happily in a bliss. 20' after I passed the sign, a voice deep in my head stopped me. I turned around to hike back up that 20' to read what the sign said...

CLIFF AREA

Shocked

I WAS standing on the top of the cliffs (back side of sign). But the freshly fallen snow (a couple feet) had made the cliff look just like nice smooth (albeit steep) skiable slope.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc, agree about the no tracks,

At least your instincts kicked in and you listened to them - folks often don't when having fun, Powder Effect as SWMBO calls it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc wrote:
Quote:

I slow down when I can't see where a piste goes...

Quite!

There could have been a little child below...

rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

How can it be? If there are no tracks then you absolutely know you have to be very careful - tracks, potentially, give you a false sense of security. If I'm heading down an untracked slope my first instinct is to ask " now why is this untracked?"
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Quote:

How can it be? If there are no tracks then you absolutely know you have to be very careful - tracks, potentially, give you a false sense of security. If I'm heading down an untracked slope my first instinct is to ask " now why is this untracked?"

...the trackees were a lot more skilled than you were.

ski holidays
Quote:

...the trackees were a lot more skilled than you were.

yeah - I get that, that's why tracks can be dangerously seductive - just don't see how untracked slopes can fool you - your spider sense should fire up immediately
snow report
hmm... almost did the same and had a 2 hour walkout into the dark on Gemsstock, very cold evening that one... 'king base jumpers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy