Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Hire in Val d'Isere?

Poster: A snowHead
My son and I will be in Val d'Isere from 20th to 27th March. Mrs Gaza doesn't ski and wasn't planning on coming out with us. She couldn't come out with us anyway as she is a teacher and would still be working. However, she finishes on the Tuesday she could get a flight out to GVA on Wednesday 23rd. Looking at transfer options there seems to be very little choice. Ben's Bus only seems to operate at weekends and Altibus depart at 12:15 (2.5 hours after her flight arrives) and then take 4 hours to get to VdI. This doesn't appeal to her (I can see why) so one option I am considering is picking up a hire car and then driving to GVA to collect her. I've looked online but can't find any car rental in Val d'Isere. Europcar seem to have an office but it is not bringing any options up when I search.

Is there a car rental place in Val d'Isere?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hire one for the week yourself from Geneva? Won't work out much more expensive than 3 adult return transfers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
... plus you could use the car to drive Gaza jr round to Tignes each morning.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tim818 wrote:
Hire one for the week yourself from Geneva? Won't work out much more expensive than 3 adult return transfers.

Oscar and I are travelling with Esprit so we already have transfers included. Renting for a week would be c.£250.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs wrote:
... plus you could use the car to drive Gaza jr round to Tignes each morning.

That would be an option although I'm beginning to pull back from the race training option. I was speaking to one of the other Dads at his race club on Wednesday and we were both in agreement that we should be broadening our kids view of skiing and using our family ski holiday for then to try some of the other aspects. I've spoken to Oscar about it and showed him a video that New Gen have on their website showing what kids do in their Freeride groups and he was very keen on it. The only issue is they are not currently planning on running the group on the week we are there and also the minimumage they allow is 10 (Oscar will be 8.5). They said that it wouldn't be fair to expect an 8 year old to keep up with kids who could be up to 13. Personally I think most 13 years olds would be hard pressed to keep up with him! Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Gaza, At that age I would expect that a race camp would mostly just drag the kids around the mountain rather than skiing through gates, that is why I thought you might have problems if you couldn't get to Tignes for the opening of the lifts as the group could be anywhere an hour later.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rjs, to be fair to ATC they run a very comprehensive camp. Some of the kids at his race club (ranging in age from 9 to 12) are just back from Hintertux with them. The feedback from both kids and the parents who accompanied the younger ones was very positive. They did a fair amount of gates and 'open' skiing, although the latter was tailored around race technique.

I've just checked Hertz and using a discount code that come with my Amex card I can get a Ford Kuga sized 4x4, fully winterised from the CH side of GVA for around £230. One advantage of having our own car would be that we could get to Val d'Isere earlier than using the coach transfer and be on the slopes by early afternoon. snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead I could then go and get Mrs Gaza on the Wednesday and hopefully be back for an afternoons skiing.

I feel a plan coming together. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gaza, You may need to factor in the cost of parking said car for a week wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@GeorgeVII, the Ducs has a small parking area. I'm hoping to blag a spot in there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Expedia offers car hire from Val D for around £100-£170 for 1 day from Europcar. A 5 day hire is only about twice the price. From memory there is a fairly cheap daily bus from Val to Bourg so might be worth looking into hire from Bourg if the timings can be made to work.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tarrantd, the Expedia price also says pick up is 18km from VdI. Very Happy I think they mean you have to go to Bourg to collect.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gaza, Ahh. stayed there a few years ago. Tucked down a little side street off the main drag?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@GeorgeVII, that's the place.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gaza the page I get says the following:

Keddy By Europcar Rental Company

Pick-up 1.44 mi
Parking Du Centre, Val D'Isere, FRA
Drop-off 1.44 mi
Parking Du Centre, Val D'Isere, FRA

Not sure where the 18k comes from?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@tarrantd, strange. I'll check again. Could be the dates I entered were different from yours.
snow conditions
Can't she drive herself from GVA?
snow report
@swiftoid, in a word, no. Very Happy She has only ever driven a LH drive car once and that was only about a mile. She would not be comfortable driving that distance, in an unfamiliar LHD car, on the 'wrong' side of the road and on mountain roads.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy