Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2015/16 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@ousekjarr, Her DOB is 10.03.1980, which makes her 35. Before anyone runs away with the idea that I'm one of her fans, I do agree that her success seems to owe much to her cleavage (although I suppose that you could level the same kind of criticism at many of today's so-called pop stars). She's one of those things that are okay in theory, but, once the novelty wears off, as it does quite quickly, you can think of 100 things you'd rather be doing than watching her prancing about. We saw DJ Oetzi at the Goassstall In December 2013, and he had much the same effect - no cleavage but clad all in white with a pretty girl on each arm, all self-adoration and with a pronounced lack of musical talent in evidence.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 27-11-15 13:43; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Saalbachsnowhead, A lovely run, and the recently-installed snow cannons (which came as a very pleasant surprise when I noticed them during the summer) should make it skiable for all or most of the season - a significant improvement that has hardly been mentioned, having been somewhat eclipsed by the new link to Fieberbrunn and the upgrading of the Bernkogel II T-bars.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@honved, Yes, that's me to! Laughing I was hoping to see some of the rest of the run, will be great for my arrival on December 12th, after previous years of it usually being closed. (Being based down in Jausern) @Tatman's Tours
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Saalbachsnowhead, Jausern could now be a more viable place to be based for those who like to ski home, rather than take the lift down, and provided that you don't mind having no apres-ski on the doorstep and having a quiet holiday, or taking taxis up to Saalbach in the evenings.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If only they would upgrade the schonlieten and put a lift up to the schattberg! Apres isn't usually our top priority, and like you say, taxis are always an option @Tatman's Tours. ( Here are some photos of 61 today on alpinforum if anyone is interested: http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=54497&hilit=saalbach+hinterglemm+leogang+fieberbrunn+zell+am+see+kaprun )
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have rather small feet and wide feet (no sniggering at the back please). Is there a boot fitter in Saalbach who would be able to do me a fitting and modify the boots to make them work for me (heat, etc)? What are prices like over there considering the strong pound?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Saalbachsnowhead, The replacement of the Schönleiten lift is in the current 5-year plan, along with the Kohlmais 'beer cans' and a new lift from Viehhofen up to the Schönleiten area (which will link in Viehhofen with a lift up to Zell am See). The bubbles on Zwölfer in Hinterglemm are also due to be replaced. These upgrades should be completed by 2020 according to the latest edition of the lift company magazine. There is no mention of any improvements on Schattberg - neither a new lift up from Jausern or even an upgrade of the 4-pers Limberg chair.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Saalbachsnowhead, Hard to imagine a more enticing set of photos! As for your comment about the apres, I confess to having become spoilt - we generally arrange our skiing day so that we end up at the Bergeralm for happy hour, then, after waiting for the slopes to clear and the piste bashers to come up the mountain (usually about six in convoy), we like to ski down a freshly-groomed, empty piste (66 and 51 or 52) to our front door - occasionally calling at the Hinterhagalm or the Maisalm on the way down.

@PeteMan, The boot fitter at the Hagleitner shop on Schulstrasse is your man. Prices are currently ridiculously cheap for most things, on account of the strong pound.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@quinton, That Limberg chair is an absolute pain - so slow! It seems inexplicable that it's not in the development plan.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Laughing You have it all worked out @Tatman's Tours These next few years sound expensive for the lift companies @Quinton.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I hadn't intended going skiing yesterday but, when I woke to a pure blue sky and sun, it seemed too good to miss. Of course, by the time I reached the snow around midday clouds had come in from the west and all was rather grey. You can just see a tinge of blue far to the east in this photo of the Asitzgipfelbahn chairlift at Leogang...

Some lifts in Leogang (and Saalbach/Hinterglemm) were running at the weekend. I thought that I wasn't going to have much skiing when it turned out that the Asitzmulden chairlift wasn't running. But that was only a technical problem; men were working on the gate mechanism and the lift did run later in the afternoon, saving me some sweat on the way back. Rather to my surprise, with the Muldenlift stopped, the next lift, the Sportbahn 2000 chairlift was in action. And then, even better, the runs over to the Schönleitenbahn in Saalbach were open.

That's where I spent most of the afternoon, for piste 61 was skiable down to the valley. The new snow cannons, standing about every 50 metres along the piste, had done a stalwart job and the run was in great condition. The pistes were mostly hard-packed, though there were some patches of soft blown snow. In the afternoon it snowed steadily but only lightly. However, the visibility wasn't bad.

I can only remember having skied piste 61 once or twice in the past but it is a great run with the snow. I made up for lost time by having five descents from top to bottom of the Schönleiten gondola now. Here are a couple of photos, the second one looking down to the bottom station of the gondola...

It was a great afternoon's skiing, more than I had expected. On the Leogang slopes I could only ski down to the middle station of the Asitz gondola. The photo below, taken from beside the bottom station of the Asitzbahn, can maybe give some impression of how the snow looks down there, not too bad but still needing some more cover...

Finally, the bottom station of the Schönleitenbahn was advertising the new link from the Ski Circus to Fieberbrunn. The opening of the link will be officially celebrated on 19th December, with the big do on the Reiterkogel, with a pillow fight, I believe rolling eyes I expect that the lifts will be running before that - I hope!

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@espri,Very envious - can't give any rational explanation for still being in the UK!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
After finding confusion on the Fieberbrunn website and Facebook page as to whether the lifts are opening on 3rd or 4th December, I had it officially confirmed today that the Fieberbrunn lifts start up on Friday, 4th December (the acceptance tests for the new TirolS lift are on 3rd December). The rest of the Ski Circus (as much as is viable presently) is opening on 3rd December, which is presumably where the confusion comes from.

Work is still in progress on the ticket office building at Fieberbrunn (the ticket windows are open). There are also a new piste map and lift status display for the whole Ski Circus (with room for a few future lifts Laughing)...

More importantly the Doischberg piste, the valley run at Fieberbrunn, appears skiable (the Streuböden piste less so)...

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey all - what's the easiest way to get from Kitzbuehel to Fieberbrunn? The train stations seem a long way from the lifts, and I can't find any info on a skibus connecting them, or in the village in general.

There's a daily bus on route 8301 around 9am but that seems to finish on 12th December. Any thoughts?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It is true that Fieberbrunn's station is a long way from the lifts, too far to walk, but it should be possible to phone for a taxi, e.g. Taxi Franz +43(0)664 1024034.

One thing that might be useful is that there is an app for smartphones or tablets (iOS or Android), VTT SmartRide. The only problem is finding the most convenient stop - that would be Fieberbrunn Bergbahnen (lifts) in Fieberbrunn (some buses only go to the Zentrum and it would be about 20 minutes walk from there - note too that services are restricted at weekends and on holidays).

The app seems to work quite well. I had assumed that the 12th December date was just the start of the winter timetable and there would be a similar bus service in that. But when I first tried to find a connection for 16th December (using the app and specifying the station as starting point), it suggested the train (leaving Kitzbühel 08:38 ) to St. Johann and the 8301 bus from there (arr Fieberbrunn Bergbahnen 09:15). However, with some more fiddling around and choosing the Griesgasse as the starting point in Kitz (that's down from the centre, I think), it showed the 8301 bus leaving there at 08:25 and going to Fieberbrunn without you having to change. So it seems that the bus does run in winter and would probably be the best bet, if you can get to it easily. The fare is €5,30 (it isn't a free ski bus).

It is all a bit complicated but I hope that helps. Let me know, if I can help further.
ski holidays
Hi All,

I've booked a long weekend in Saalbach (feb 26th-mar1st) and am trying to organise a stay at Chalet Tatman. Is there anyone out there who could share a week - who is interested in Tues March 1st to Fri 4th or Sat 5th ??? Its hard to get a central spot for a short stay so pairing up with a 2nd group could be a good fit for both parties.

Thanks Landers
ski holidays
Quote:

Tues March 1st to Fri 4th or Sat 5th ???

Wedenesday 2nd to Saturday 5th would work too.
ski holidays
Anyone up for a transfer share Salzburg airport on Saturday 30th Jan and returning a week later? BA flight from Glasgow. Arrives 1600 and departs 1650 on way back.
latest report
John Barr and I had a great day's skiing yesterday on the slopes above Saalbach and Hinterglemm. Some of the details I have reported in the separate thread about the TirolS gondola, which had started operating for the first time. Here are some photos from the Glemmtal side.

The weather was great, pure sun and blue skies. The Bernkogel piste, virtually empty, was a dream...

Having used the new TirolS gondola for the first time, we were also able to have first rides on the six-seat chairlift at the top of the Bernkogel...

Most snow was artificial, so that there was often only a narrow strip of piste. Here is a view over Hinterglemm to the pistes on the Schattberg West and Zwölferkogel...

And here is a photo taken from the Sunliner chairlift, plenty sun but not so much snow...

We were able to ski all the way from Saalbach to the Hochalm beyond Hinterglemm (and back). We could have gone over to the Zwölferkogel but preferred to stay in the sun on the south-facing side of the Glemmtal. The operators have put in an impressive effort to make so much skiing possible with so little natural snow. Snow on slopes in the sun was soft, sometimes sugary; the pistes that stayed in the shade were very hard-packed. Temperatures went up to 12°C and above. For lunch we joined the sun worshippers at the Rosswald hut...

snow report
Thinking of changing our usual March skiing holiday in Saalbach to 23 - 30 January - but just discovered that the return flight to Edinburgh is full! Is anything happening that week? Seems strange that is the only flight that is full! Cheers 🎿
latest report
@mcphail, I can't think of anything going on that week. We haven't actually had any enquiries at all for that week and still have accommodation available. A mystery!
latest report
@mcphail, The Austrian and some of the German schools start their winter holiday that weekend which may account for some of the excess passengers.
ski holidays
I guess they are all going back from this...

Fitting all these teams in could soon fill the plane Laughing

Or maybe from the Hahnenkamm race weekend, which is on from 19th-24th January.
Though maybe school holidays sound more likely.
latest report
@espri, Return flights to Edinburgh on 30/01/16 Puzzled
snow report
Well, I could imagine some coming to Kitzbühel for 23-30 Jan (and I have friends visiting from 22nd but they fly back on 29th, so we can't blame them). And maybe huskies need a few days to recover afer their races - or they want to ski over to Saalbach Laughing
snow report
@espri, maybe the dogs like to sample the local après so stay a bit longer!
latest report
that's why they're husky - all that singing....
snow report
@pam w, Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mcphail, have you tried BA? Now doing Glasgow to Salzburg on Saturdays
ski holidays
In case anyone is looking for accommodation for two people for the week commencing 9th January, we know someone who's had a cancellation and has a very nice, ski-in ski-out apartment for 2 people - 630 euros (£450) for the week.
ski holidays
Thanks for your replies - glad to know nothing major is on then. We made a big mistake a few years ago by going in fasching week. We knew nothing about fasching week, and thought we would be going outwith school holidays and it would be lovely and quiet - how wrong were we!!
snow conditions
When does Saalbach Hinterglemn run til? Will Easter be ok?
ski holidays
Lifts will run until 10th April. Easter is relatively early in 2016 so other years are anything to go by, there will be plenty of skiing available even if some of the lower, sunny slopes are slushy. Last Easter there were also relatively few people, although plenty of families were taking advantage of the free lift passes for kids under 16, which will also be available this season from 19th March (kids aged 6 and under ski for free all season).
snow conditions
Advice please from the Saalbach/Hinterglemm experts.
Budget holiday in this area on the 6/2/2015, which hotel?
Landhaus Bauer, Saalbach
Hotel Reisinger, Hinterglemm.

Thanks in advance

DJ
latest report
@Drunkenjoiner, Landhaus Bauer is the cheaper annex of the main Hotel Bauer, located directly by the Turm lift in the centre of the village. Ideal location for the other lifts too. I usually hear it described as cheap and cheerful, rather than the more luxurious main hotel.

Reisinger is in the centre of Hinterglemm, 5-10 mins walk to most of the lifts. I know nothing about the hotel.

If you are asking about which village to choose, then Saalbach is livelier (unless you are under 25 and Dutch, in which case you'll feel at home in Hinterglemm).
snow report
Drunkenjoiner wrote:
Advice please from the Saalbach/Hinterglemm experts.
Budget holiday in this area on the 6/2/2015, which hotel?
Landhaus Bauer, Saalbach
Hotel Reisinger, Hinterglemm.

Thanks in advance

DJ

What's your hotel budget?
snow report
The holiday needs to be budget and cheap and cheerful suits.
No real budget but with a couple of TO's can do all in for around £650.00 to £730.00
(no ski hire, passes etc)

Many thanks,
ski holidays
Had a friend who stayed in the Reisinger and thought it no more than ok. I was in a nearby hotel at the time and when I visited him it seemed a fairly typical Austrian ski resort hotel. BUT, that was in 1986, so it has no doubt changed a lot. However, it is in an excellent location, right in the centre of the village, close to all the lively apres ski spots.
It's only 2 mins, (at most), from the main Reiterkogel lift, and though the Zwolfer and Westgipfel lifts are a longer walk they can be accessed by the U-Bahn which is at max a 5-min hike. However, if you are comfortable with T-bars, the Bergfried lift is only 100m away. From there all the latter lifts are easily accessible, with a short section of poling in the case of the Zwolfer.
Even better the Bergfried is an excellent wee slope in it's own right, covered by snow cannons so you can pretty much have skiing to your door at the end of the day. I've stayed all over Hinterglemm over the years, and the area around the Reisinger, in my opinion, is the best for accessing all Hinterglemm's skiing.
Let's be honest, it's hard to find a properly bad hotel in Austria. There'll be a bed, food and easy access to skiing. If it's in budget, I don't think you'll go badly wrong.
latest report
We stayed at the main Bauer's hotel last year, whilst I can't tell you about the other part of the hotel, I can say it's in an excellent location, just a 2 min stroll to the lifts and right in the centre of town.
snow conditions
We stayed in the Reisinger last year. It was perfectly fine. The rooms were big enough (we had three of us in ours, the 3rd being a mansize 13yo!) and clean. Vera (who owns the place), is lovely, very friendly and helpful. The food is very average bit ok, eating time is 7pm I think.

It's situation is great, like @Colinthc, says it is just across the road from the Reiterkogel and a few mins from the Ubahn. It's very close to town. We could easily finish skiing, go back get changed quickly, have a few drinks, leave bar at 6.58pm and be back in time for 7pm Laughing

Cheap but perfectly cheerful is definitely a good description for the place.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy