Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blades?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

So its nearly Christmas again and I am thinking what to get for my other half that has everything.... he LOVES skiing and after talking to some fellow skiers about blades I think he would have fun trying them out... they don't seem to be too expensive and I wondered if anyone can advise on what would be a good option?
He can ski at a good level and has no fear at all... hence I think he would find them fun to have a go on a couple of days each ski trip.... any advice?
Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If he can ski, he won't want blades........
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Em1986, just be aware that every time you use blades, God/Allah/Ganesh kills a kitten. A really cute, fluffy kitten. Do you want that on your conscience?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I doubt that very much rolling eyes : Laughing

And why wont he want blades if he can ski?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Em1986 wrote:
I doubt that very much rolling eyes : Laughing

And why wont he want blades if he can ski?

Well, it is like asking Lewis Hammilton to race in Formula 3000 after his 3 F1 titles rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well lets not run away with ourselves.. he is no Lewis Hamilton of the ski world...maybe I should have been more specific.. he has 2 weeks skiing under his belt.. that said he has done every black he has been faced with and well .... but he has a long way to go in regards experienced skier's and technique I am sure... his success is he has no fear whatsoever.

He learnt to ski backwards whilst I was learning to go forewords... very annoying. Laughing

But he loves gadgets, toys, things a bit different and after speaking to a few other fellow skiers who thought blades were quite fun I thought he may find them fun too.

I am assuming then the general consensus is they are not fun? Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
He probably would have some fun, actually but the cool crowd will definitely pour scorn.

They are regarded as irredeemably naff.

Rent some for a day, maybe, but make sure they have proper releasing bindings, like skis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Plenty of blades, skiboards or short skis on eBay. Normally you can pick a set up cheap and sell for around the same if he didn't like them. Point him towards either skiboards.com or skiboards online.com. Tons of info on those sites.
Don't listen to the numptys on here who will try and mock. At end of the day it's about having fun, regardless of what equipment you use.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't think he would care too much what the cool crowd would think and to be honest I would be surprised if he even noticed so that's no bother wink

Is there anything I need to be aware of in regards buying them... any sizes to bear in mind etc?
This is our third ski holiday and we have always hired skis so far so I'm not in the know in regards buying equipment...

On a side note do you think your own skis make a big difference to performance?
He doesn't have his own skis and so that's another option for a Christmas present....

He has everything he wants so this Christmas is proving a pain !
Thank you for the tips Blush
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would have a look on eBay for some Head 94's. A bit wider than blades and they get good reviews as a starter short ski.
Feel free to message me for any advice on this. Used blades/skiboards for the past 17 years or so
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The best ski present one can buy is a decent pair of boots from a good* boot fitter.

*This does not mean the Saturday boy at slush and rubble.....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have ski boots but thank you Little Angel

We got them fitted from Lockwoods and are very happy with them.
Mine killed at first but are now comfy and were so after a few days... his were fine last year skiing after a few days also so that box is ticked.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you have boots I would bother buying skis for 1 week a year. After servicing and carriage costs you might as well rent the top of the range ski for that season and you get the advantage of swapping them for something more suitable if the conditions require, eg swapping a piste ski for a fat ski after a dump.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Before you get the blades, do you have everything else you need?

The gigantic oversized mirror goggles?
A never-been-washed beanie?
Massive headphones?
XXXL hoodie with obscure brand / offensive phrase on it?
Tall tee or basketball vest to go over the top of everything else.
Extra thin pipe gloves to be worn only when temperatures drop below -20c?
XXXXXL pants so that you can't see your feet for folds of slush/french khazi infused pantleg?
A sullen look?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Richard_Sideways,
Like this
ski holidays
@graeme, is that the Head 94's in your photo? I've never tried blades but I'm quite tempted to give them a blast for a day or two. Might have a look on eBay.
snow report
@Valkyrie, nope, those where Revel8 rockered condors. 110cm, with non release bindings
snow report
@graeme, Pfft - call that rocking the look? Though the goggles and beanie are getting there. Plus you're not going backwards at 40mph.
ski holidays
Quote:

he has 2 weeks skiing under his belt.. that said he has done every black he has been faced with and well .... but he has a long way to go in regards experienced skier's and technique I am sure... his success is he has no fear whatsoever.

Lessons. Lots and lots of lessons. Native English speaking instructor. Small groups.

Skis become worth it if you ski more than twice a year or if you have some specific needs. These might be physiological - I like my bindings set up a particular way. Or they might relate to the kind of skiing you enjoy. You are unlikely to be in either of these categories.

I have never seen someone on blades and thought "I wish I could do that." I have often thought "you have no real control over what you are doing". That's not all people on blades. Some people clearly know what they are doing. I've just never seen the evidence.
latest report
I actually didn't even know you should swap skis depending on the conditions and just trundle on in whatever I am wearing...

I think I will just go with the blades but thanks for the extra tips - sounds like you are very knowledgeable Laughing
snow report
He wont do lessons... we are going in a group and he is happy skiing as he is. He is in control in terms of safety and he may not have the best technique compared to seasoned skiers but he is safe and has fun. He would maybe consider some private lessons if we were not going in a crowd where the boys just like to bomb around the runs but having fun and doing lots of runs is more his focus than getting a better 'technique' - that may change.

I agree on the skis so thanks for confirming that. Little Angel I don't think we will ever go more than twice a year much to his dismay.

& I don't know if he will 'know what he is doing' but he has an annoying tendency to be good at everything he does. A real adrenaline junkie but he is also very safe so if he feels out of control I am sure he would take the necessary steps such as slowing down or just not wearing them... its just a cool Christmas gift... that may fit in his suitcase Laughing
snow conditions
@Em1986, blades are quite fun in that they feel so ridiculous that you end up trying all sorts of ridiculous stuff for pure shits and giggles.

The problem is, they are simply just so much worse at any performance metric you can think of (other than spinning 360s on the ground), and normally the mark (and/or) cause of poor technique. If your husband values any sort of stability at speed, blades aren't for him.
ski holidays
@Em1986, politically incorrect question, but does he like apres or a drink during the day. If so think about a pair of leki hotshot ski poles. You dont need to use them during the day but pretty cool in that end of day pit stop.

http://m.theski-shop.co.uk/679/products/leki-hot-shot-s-brandy-fillable-ski-poles-plus-trigger-s-strap.aspx
latest report
He does value stability at speed... that said he also values ridiculous stuff for pure shits and giggles!! & this is really what this gift is about.. he wont ski on them every day.. he will probably try them out one day when they want a more chilled day and want to mess about.... or like I say if he skis with me which is ultra slow Laughing then he may want to try them out for a few hours and start trying to do tricks on them...

In regards drinking during the day.. no he doesn't... he drinks to get drunk sometimes in the evening but no social drinking in terms of having one or two in the day ... (everything to excess!) ... but thank you for the idea.. we have other skiing friends they could be good for Laughing
snow conditions
Another heresy: what about a snowboard? A real sport and lots of fun by the look of it. And apparently skiing and snowboarding compliment each other, skills-wise.

Or some trick skis. ie the twin tipped freestyle ones. I see you are in Hampshire so he could have a play on the jumps and rails at Southampton or Calshot or Snowtrax before he goes.

As to owning skis, I only ski once a year but I like having my own pair. They have become familiar and I know what to expect of them. It might be an idea to let him find his own pair, though.
latest report
@Em1986, so your other half is good at GETTING DOWN the mountain, why not some private lessons and learn SKIING DOWN the mountain? You say he is good at the first, so maybe he could also be good at the second - why not to try,mhe would never know before he tries to ski? rolling eyes
snow conditions
He did try snowboarding but didn't love it..... Something about his hum hurting and not being able to go fast enough Laughing

But trick skis sounds right up his street... Can you recommend any? He would love that and trying them out !!

In regards 'getting down the mountain' ..... Again maybe my wording isn't the best. He can ski down the mountain. He can ski. We have skied with 'seasoned skiers' that have all been very impressed with his ability... Lessons are out as a Christmas present I'm afraid.

So we are down to blades or trick skis? Razz
latest report
Em1986 wrote:
He did try snowboarding but didn't love it..... Something about his hum hurting and not being able to go fast enough Laughing

But trick skis sounds right up his street... Can you recommend any? He would love that and trying them out !!

In regards 'getting down the mountain' ..... Again maybe my wording isn't the best. He can ski down the mountain. He can ski. We have skied with 'seasoned skiers' that have all been very impressed with his ability... Lessons are out as a Christmas present I'm afraid.

So we are down to blades or trick skis? Razz

2 weeks of skiing, no lessons and blasting down full speed? So he is sporty and might be a natural skier. But without technique his main enjoyment is trying his limit by getting as fast as he can? I have not seen him skiing of course, but unlike "seasoned skiers" he skied with, I am sceptical of anyone with two weeks and no professional advice trying reaching max speeds. I understand recreational skiing should be easy, nice and enjoyable, but full speed down without technique - I would not like skiing with my family on the same pistes... While on a lift I used to show my son self tought 'racers' 'getting down' and instructing my son to give way to'racers'. my son is 10 now and while on the lift he identify 'racers' in a second by himself. Unfortunately there are quite a few of them on pistes.
An interesting thread on blades here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2632454&highlight=tool#2632454
If you do get him the blades, he may enjoy testing it on The Swiss Wall in Avoriaz. snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Big Feet...
Fun present, not too expensive and can fit in a suitcase or even hand luggage.
Good for a laugh for a couple of hours!
ski holidays
He has had lessons. We learnt to ski at Tamworth before going Away and did 3 days of further lessons when we were abroad skiing.

As well as that his full speed may not be your full speed? It's all about context. He is very fast compared to me ... But not compared to experienced skiers I'm sure. And he doesn't try to reach 'max speeds' ... he just likes to challenge himself which to me means what he is doing is out of reach as we are completely different abilities.

And he does try to ski with technique and I think he does a good job... He is a safe skier if anything else so you wouldn't need to worry about your family wink

I think I need to be far more specific on every post .... Basically yes he is an adrenaline junkie, likes speed and exciting sports but safety and being in control is far more important to him.

He is naturally good at sport and skiing but he's not arrogant and knows his limits and is aware of everyone else on the slopes.

He likes to goof around when he skis with me as he gets bored ..as it is slow so he try's to spin and ski backwards ... Hence thinking blades may be fun for him to try out for a bit of fun. Doesn't mean he's dangerous or out of control.
snow report
@Em1986, I think all we're trying to say is that the right lessons, with the right instructor, can be a lot of fun. I know that the better I get at skiing the more fun I have. A private lesson could be a revelation for him. I can appreciate there's some peer pressure going on tho with the group you ski with.

If you do decide on lessons, let us know where and when you go. Chances are there will be someone who can give you a recommendation.
snow conditions
I appreciate that and he has had lessons and very much enjoyed them.

It's not that he won't ever do lessons it's just this particular holiday he won't as he wants to spend time with his cousin and friend and it's more about spending time with them this time around than improving his skiing.

Each trip is different depending who you go with etc ... This was specifically about a Christmas present, and this Christmas lessons are not the right gift.

But yes maybe next year they will be the perfect gift and he does enjoy private lessons as he has done before ... But it's just not what this week away will be about. Blush thanks for all of your advice however Little Angel
snow report
@Em1986, I hope you'll be getting him the saucer and bottle of JD to go with them...

http://unofficialnetworks.com/tag/saucer-boy
snow conditions
I don't think I have skid long enough to understand half of these comments... looked at the picture and don't get the link between this post and that picture at all Laughing Embarassed
snow conditions
@Em1986, don't worry about it. Saucer Boy is a spoof character designed to take the mickey out of the "all the gear, no idea" stereotype.

As for your original gift idea, blades can be fun but he might soon get bored with them. If you want to buy something nice, but useful for skiing maybe a set of boot heaters, or perhaps a homemade voucher offering him premium ski hire on the next trip so he can test a different pair of top end skis every day to discover what he likes?
snow conditions
I owned blades for a number of years - whenever I was skiing with families / teens / kids I would take them and we would go up on the mountain with them in addition to my skis (click the leg straps together and hang around neck Smile mine were the ones you could adjust out on the slopes - go to the fun park and we would all swap on and off them - they are a lot of fun, but they are not really for skiing in terms of moving around the mountain... However I grew up ice-skating, so found them very natural...
snow report
@Em1986, clearly you are already sold on the blades options, but as others have pointed out they are less common these days and potentially limited in terms of their use (but that depends on how much fun he has on them of course).

I'd say if thats what you think is the right decision then go and get some, I'm sure he will have fun and the upside is it may slow him down a little and let you keep up Very Happy

However, just in case You are not absolutely nailed to a pair of blades for him, as he is into his gadgets could you stretch to a pair of these.... I'm sure he'd be really pleased :- http://www.sportpursuit.com/z3-gps-goggles-photochromic-carbon-matte-black
snow report
If he likes "shits and giggles" put him on the blades on a black or red ice sheet. Or powder.
Shits (his) giggles (yours ).

Suec Laughing
latest report
Ah okay thanks for explaining... Laughing

To be honest he may get bored with them... he gets bored of everything he is bought.. the issue is if he wants something he has it...he always upgrades his skis and he may use boot heaters but not sure he would appreciate them... he would probably be a bit like.. well they are warm anyway... what can I say he is a big kid!!

so gifts are always about things he doesn't need.. that may be fun.
He likes to learn tricks on anything he has...and was trying 360's on his skis last year while I was learning to go forward Laughing So they may be good for that and that's more what I am thinking as opposed to him getting around the mountain...

Couldn't get on that link but I think they are goggles that self adjust?... great idea.. except he bought one of those full face helmet and goggles last year after seeing someone in one and that will be his new toy this year... but maybe for next season I will bookmark them. Little Angel I like to always have present ideas as its always so hard!!

Suec that really made me laugh!!!!! Laughing
The annoying thing is he would find that so much fun... even when he says 'that was awful' he has a big grin on his face and would do it again... scares the life out of me!! I may suggest it ... Laughing
snow conditions
Just don't. A traditional gift for people with 2 weeks experience who like messing around everywhere on the slopes is a comedy jester's hat.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy