Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best exercise class for ski fitness?

Poster: A snowHead
I've had a pretty poor cycling season (working away from home too much) so now I'm a couple of months away from my first ski holiday of the season and I'm feeling pretty overweight and out of condition. The gym I find really boring so I'm trying out various exercise classes instead. At my local council gym I can do - Bodypump, Kettlercise, Spinning, Metafit, Bodybalance and a few others. Does anyone have any opinions on which of these classes is best for skiing? I'm doing all of them this week but it be good to know which is the most beneficial.

Given that it's my legs muscles that feel most tired after a day's skiing a focus on leg work seems the obvious thing. Squats and lunges can certainly replicate the burning thighs of a long fast descent. But I keep reading that I should be focussing on my core strength. And having more flexibility must surely be beneficial.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @Valkyrie, I have been doing some eccentric "leg blaster". Have a read of this page.
http://www.backcountry.com/explore/train-eccentric-leg-strength-for-alpine-skiing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Charliee, reading his page, all he's done is use the slow twitch muscles more. If he did the same excercises slowly but weighted (as he used to according to his piece) he'd have used the fast twitch muscles more.

I always felt it was best to do both.

I'm not an expert on this though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't know the details of the brand-name workouts, but I think they're something like this:
Bodypump - free weights-focused. Probably a good choice
Kettlercise - similar to bodypump I would have thought, except with kettlebells. Could be good, but my god those things can bruise you!
Spinning - good for endurance but not so immediately beneficial to skiing
Metafit - no idea what this one is
Bodybalance - this one is toned-down yoga. I went once and it was basically lying down for an hour. I didn't see much point. Your class might be better though.

Tell us what you find when you try them all!

I have been working with a personal trainer for a long time now and we've got a few things we focus on for ski fitness. I do like being in the gym, but it's very important to keep changing up what I'm doing so that I don't get bored. Here are some things I do:

Strength - squats, deadlifts. Full body lifts with free weights are excellent core workouts as well as working the legs. I aspire towards doing proper pullups/pushups too
Power - box jumps, jump squats, thrusters, dumbbell snatches, overhead presses,...
Balance - one legged squats. Standing on one leg on a bosu ball is also good.
Flexibility - I should do some yoga but I don't. I do make sure that I do lots of bodyweight lunges of various sorts, with twists and bends, lateral movements, etc.
Agility - fun stuff like twisting jumps, lateral jumps, agility ladder work
Endurance - I'll occasionally do a long bike bide or a gym session with lots and lots and lots of relatively light deadlifts (50% of maximum), or tonnes of bodyweight lunges. I hate doing endurance work! I don't feel like it's massively necessary for in-resort skiing, but I may feel differently if I get more into touring
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Big fan of BodyPump (5-6 mins of continuous squats, then the same for lunges) and Spin-good for aerobic and leg strength if you up the gears.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If they have Body Attack it's a bit of a killer - lots of leg work (lunges,squats, jumps, skater jumps) with core in the middle and at the end. I love it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I also think bodypump translates pretty well to skiing. It won't particularly build strength (too many repetitions, meaning relatively small weights for that) but will help tone up, build endurance, and improve general fitness.

If you can only do one class though I'd make it Pilates. Most people's recreational skiing doesn't demand that they can squat massive weights or have thighs of steel, but it does demand control and balance, and Pilates will give you that in buckets if you can stick at it.

Combine those two with something aerobic and I think you'd have a pretty good system going.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Squats, lunges (forward and backward) burpees, fast knees to elbows (more aerobic) rotating plank and if your gym has them ropes for body pull ups. But MOST importantly make sure you warm up first especially with squats, so you don't b****r your knees, a squat done badly will do more harm than good.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spent the summer spinning - this has had a major effect on my bump and short turn fitness this week (loads of snow on tignes glacier today Very Happy ) and because I set the handlebars low - to road bike height - it had the added side effect of strengthening my core and back muscles as am in a fairly ski ish position. Was disappointingly bad at maintaining my bike fitness when I was off the road bike though!!!

Also found metafit very good as I have a low boredom threshold, and it changes most weeks - and a good mix of core, cardiac and leg muscle exercises.

Bored senseless in body balance......
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Squats and dead lifts…heavy as you can!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Valkyrie, I do a lot of core work with cables. Mainly for my work, to protect my back, but it has a benefit to skiing. Strong core does give you balance and an ability to hold your body in position. And although the cable work is aimed at the core it has to involve your arms and legs.

And I also use a cross trainer. I tend to set a manual programme but increase the resistance regularly. I set myself a 10km distance a try to keep to a time. Or sometimes I just do it slower for longer which is quite good for fat burn. It can be boring but I compete better against myself than other people so I have that distance/time target to motivate me. And I don't have to be somewhere at a set time

My leg work is strange though. I do lots of squats and lunges with weights. Last year I thought I'd got it right but my legs burned all week skiing. And then I got back to the gym, did my normal work out and was stiff for days afterwards! I think I need to talk to one of the trainers.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As a fellow cyclist I'd reccommend some specific calf strength/flexibility work alongside whatever else you do. I always find my calves to be the sorest part when I start skiing after a summer exclusively on the bike. I've had achilles issues in the past which it tends to help with too.

I just tend to stand on the stairs at home and do sets of heel drops, moving on to single leg as they get stronger.

Also build up the eccentic work (anything where the leg is flexing under load, incluiding squats and jumps) slowly if you've not done much recently - it can be at best a shock to the system, at worst a recipe for injury. Always warm up, and stretch daily.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Being a fitness instructor for the past 20 years or so (been training for 30 years), I have done so many different types of training and attended countless classes of different types.....all had good points and some not so good points.

The best thing about all of them for each person is that they are getting out and getting moving, but the OP asked opinions for the best class for ski fitness.

Having taken part in and trained others in many types of fitness classes, I would say without doubt the best form of training is Cross fit. It has it all, cardio, strength, power, balance, and actually works on functional fitness for the entire body so there are no week areas.

I could write pages and pages on the benefits but others have done that far better than I could. All I will say is that it requires commitment and determination but if you put that in, you will see your fitness go where it has never gone before.

Google it in your area, find a Crossfit Box and join up, it will open up a whole new world of fun.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For me, @Valkyrie, spin works best.

As a cyclist as well I find the turbo trainer too boring. A hard spin class can burn the thighs pretty well even if you still have your summer cycling fitness. I would go with spin.

Again, this is my own personal experience, I find that cycling fitness has a good cross over for skiing. I tend to ski all day and never suffer from thigh burn and tiredness that others in the group sometimes do.

I do cycle a fair bit though, average around 100 miles / week through the year, with a couple of Alp trips in the warmer months.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
no exercise will shift weight quicker than changing your diet, then maybe visit your local dry slope or dome a couple of times a week? nothing will prep you for skiing better than actually skiing!
ski holidays
I work with a PT twice a week doing a variety of exercises that are 'all body' - with and without weights, some HIIT. The key for me is a strong core. I walk and ride horses everyday. Strong core.
snow conditions
Charliee wrote:
Hi @Valkyrie, I have been doing some eccentric "leg blaster". Have a read of this page.
http://www.backcountry.com/explore/train-eccentric-leg-strength-for-alpine-skiing

I did this consistently last winter and it's really good. I was going to Crossfit regularly then moved and didn't go for 3 months, I started again and could squat heavier than previously just from doing that workout 2-3x a week, I also found it a helped with skiing.
ski holidays
An update - I'm going to Bodypump, Bodybalance, Kettlercise and Spinning classes.

Spinning - good short, sharp cardio workout. Burns a few calories but I don't think it'll do anything particularly helpful for skiing.

Bodybalance - a 45 minute class with lots of stretching and yoga style poses. Some balance exercises - stretching out while standing on one leg kind of stuff. Pretty useful for me as I'm very stiff and inflexible and I'm crap at doing stretching exercises on my own because it's so boring.

Bodypump - high reps with light weights on a bar. Good cardio and for core and there are a fair number of squats and lunges for the legs

Kettlercise - high reps with a kettlebell. Good cardio, core and leg work and I think probably better than Bodypump for skiing as there are a lot more twisting movements. My favourite.
snow report
Any number of pursuits............. Cycling. Ice skating(!). Hiking. Walking - fast walking.

Indoors........... Pull ups, chin ups, rope climbing, sit ups, push ups, body twists, stretching, high jumps, lunges - forwards/backwards, partial (not full) squats. Big proponent of using dumbbells or kettlebells - never ever barbell, especially on squats (your spine is beyond precious). Isometrics...... can't say enough about isometrics. Surgical elastic both isokinetic and isometric.
latest report
Squats, lunges, jump lunges, box jumps, deadlifts. Repeat.
ski holidays
If you are unfit and overweight then you need to concentrate on losing the weight, and that is not just about exercise. It is then your legs that take the strain skiing but without a strong core they will get tired too quickly. My main issue with spinning is that it does not use body weight, so make sure that you have a weight goal as well as a fitness goal, and something that works all of the muscles supporting the knee so that they are in balance and the core.

Kettle is probably the best at the latter IMHO as you need constant core engagement, something that Pump, despite its potential, does not.
ski holidays
@Valkyrie, doing a 'mix' of classes is probably going to be the biggest benefit to the 'fitnesss' - if you can also do some 'sustained' tempo stuff (e.g. an hour of reasonably hard swimming, where you are at the 'a bit too tough to hold a conversation'), you'll work on your stamina - if you've run in the past and are not _too_ over your comfort weight, go running... but go easy on the knees.

2nd most important thing is 'good form' - don't be afraid to get the instructor to make sure you're doing the exercises properly, especially kettles (it's easy to swing with the arms, but when you get the hips/lower back working, it can be a completely different exercise). good form _always_ beats reps...

what can you easily cut out of your diet? carbs? alcohol? attack the problem from both ends...

make the most of being able to do all those classes though...
ski holidays
Im enjoying doing the https://8fit.com/ app at the moment. Its really working on my general strength and the core stuff is very good

Im then supplementing it with more ski specific stuff.

We post some stuff on our facebook page written by the physio who helps me get people fit for skiing after surgery.

Its free here is first one this year (29th Oct) https://www.facebook.com/wimbledonclinics.

If you want the whole program it runs from last year early October for about 12 sessions.

Any questions let me know

Jonathan Bell
latest report
kieranm wrote:
If you can only do one class though I'd make it Pilates. Most people's recreational skiing doesn't demand that they can squat massive weights or have thighs of steel, but it does demand control and balance, and Pilates will give you that in buckets if you can stick at it.

I started pilates to help with back problems and have found much of what we do excellent for skiing. Some of the 'moves' are really great for separation of lower and upper body.
ski holidays

Ive never had the time or inclination to go to a gym or follow a "programme" I can go for a 20 minute run in the time it takes to go/return from a gym and have found running to be all I need for skiing. I tried step ups onto a chair one year and this wrecked my knees, I thought I had done permanent damage.
I once got to a fitness level of doing a 4 mile run in 28minutes 2-3 times a week and this was enough to keep me going skiing moguls for a whole afternoon but that was 20 years ago!
ski holidays
Bodypump is for girls; heavy low rep squats and deadlifts are for men (and women with great back bottoms).
ski holidays
@ben76, I do squats and deadlifts. .my back bottom is better than it was
snow conditions
ben76 wrote:
Bodypump is for girls; heavy low rep squats and deadlifts are for men.

Also pretty good for bolloxing knees and lower back for use over 40's. My knees are moaning now due to last nights sesh. Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mollerski, I'm doing them as rehab for knees and I'm 55
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Mollerski, I'm doing them as rehab for knees and I'm 55

So did I at 44, but not max'ing out 'til something else busts. I do 3x gym a week which include 3x leg routines up until xmas. The leg press features heavily, no squats now though.
snow report
Apparently you can rent the Les Mills classes online from the website at£10 a month. CX works is good.
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
ben76 wrote:

Also pretty good for bolloxing knees and lower back for use over 40's. My knees are moaning now due to last nights sesh. Confused

Make sure you dont build up load too quickly to allow the knees and muscles to adapt.

If you overload the weights the joint surfaces will take much more of a hammering than when the muscles are strong enough to take the load
latest report
@Mollerski, yeah..I know my limit...35 kg. ...90kg leg press for me and lots of forwards a day backwards lunges and step ups and wall sits
snow report
@Jonathan Bell, yes..I didn't get to proper weights till a year into rehab when I had the muscle to cope with it
snow conditions
ben76 wrote:
Bodypump is for girls; heavy low rep squats and deadlifts are for men (and women with great back bottoms).

Depends how much you put on the bar in the class.
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
ben76 wrote:

Deadlifts are such a great exercise for all-over body strength that it'd be a real shame to give them up entirely on account of knee pain.
If they give you sore knees, you could try their sumo variation - you'd still get to reap all the benefits, but they're much easier on the knees than the classical version.

Same goes for squats really - just sit back on your heels/drive through them, that'll stop your knees travelling forward of your toes. If the weight is bending you forward, just use less weight.

Proper form is crucial for the both exercises.
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
ben76 wrote:

Depends how much you put on the bar in the class.

^This

I do pump and squat 40kg. soean't sound a lot, but the current release has 186 reps in the squat track alone. All the body build lads cam in one day to give it a go and they were on their back bottoms half way through Happy

There is a difference between muscle and muscle.

I find pump gives a good combo of weight and cardio.

I throw in a couple of circuit classes a week to keep the ploy up and spin once a week (it bores me!)
snow conditions
did the eccentric ski exercises on backcountry.com. these are ninja and i could walk down the stairs after!!!
snow conditions
TOOTIE wrote:
did the eccentric ski exercises on backcountry.com. these are ninja and i couldn't walk down the stairs after!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy